daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: left, center or right aligned?
Left aligned 12 28.57%
Center aligned 10 23.81%
Right aligned 0 0%
mixed (overhead center, exit left aligned) 19 45.24%
i don't look at the signage anyway 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM   #341
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

this is the easiest way coming from the south to staten island AND brooklyn, and because these bridges connect each other (jersey to staten island and staten island to brooklyn) IMO it makes not that big difference if you put on the bridges or the districts (or whatever they may be called, i don't know exactly). on exit 10, in edison (interchange with I-287 and NJ-440), you get to the outer bridge to staten island. there'd be only NY-Staten Island as a destination, but not NY-Brooklyn.

considering the tunnels coming later (lincoln and holland tunnel) germans would probably put lower manhattan as a destination on holland tunnel exit and midtown manhattan on lincoln tunnel exit.

here we can see one big difference between the two systems: americans often use road names as destinations on the signs. this is not so common in germany.

Last edited by Patrick; May 21st, 2007 at 10:31 PM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:19 PM   #342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

You only see road names as exits in Berlin, and rarely outside that city. (Bochum).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM   #343
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Yeah, usually you only see city districts. In Italy OTOH streets are common.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM   #344
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Patrick, I think you should have started from less messy signs. NJ turnpike signs are extremely un-standardised. For instance, how would you change these sign?

Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM   #345
Mystro_Goblin

Likes (Received): 8

Who needs sign anymore?? We now have GPS but the German signs are far more clearly than the American ones. The Dutch are even better than the Germans, but that's my opinion.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM   #346
ChrisZwolle
Road user

@ Alex;

It is mostly the overhead signs for many lanes which looks messy. Sometimes only a number and wind direction, or only one control city.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM   #347
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

@alex: i have chosen the nj turnpike because i love neighboring new york and because it is the only interstate i have driven on (not for myself ) for a longer time. (i just wanted to have new york city as a major destination on the sign bridges i didn't remember how messy these signs were before i looked up for these pictures, so it's like winning a lottery i guess that i picked the messiest or one of the messiest without knowing that )

back to the signs you posted: yes, they indeed look very standardised. after looking several maps here's how they'd look over here (at leat if i was the sign designer normal german).

EXIT 116

On the westbound exit, I'd add Yuba City and Ophir as destinations; Eastbound, Lincoln and Ophir is enough.

and like everywhere, i'd add a so called "vorwegweiser"

EXIT 105A:
I'd always put the name of the city or the town where you are in the moment or where the roads belong to:
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM   #348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
I'd always put the name of the city or the town where you are in the moment or where the roads belong to
Very good! You see a lot of road names without knowing which city you're in
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM   #349
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
ok, here we go

This one is better, although there are still a few things that need to be changed. The first thing is the exit number. It's much easier to give directions and give an exit number to tell people where to get off than to tell them to look for certain words on a sign. This is especially true when there are multiple exits for a city. Forinstance, there are 3 exits for Newark, Delaware, in my area. One exit is in Maryland, the other two in Delaware. It is much easier to say "Get off at Exit 3" or "Get off at Exit 1" than to say "Look for the sign that says 'Newark/Dover', make sure it's not the one that says 'Newark/Middletown'".

The other thing is that in the above photoshop, you used the circular state route sign for a New York route. Each state has their own shape for state routes. Some states have generic shapes: New Jersey and Delaware use circles, Massachusetts uses a box, etc. Some have unique shapes: Pennsylvania uses a keystone, New Hamshire uses the Old Man in the Mountain, etc. Some states use their state outline: Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, etc.

This website will show you what each state's state route signs should look like: http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jlin/signs/states/
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM   #350
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Pretty cool stuff. How do you do that btw?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #351
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4250

Wow this is awesome.

America would look so much better.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM   #352
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

the thing with the exit numbers might be true, but that doesn't mean we don't have exit numbers we just use them a bit otherwise.

each exit has its own name so we wouldn't say "get off at where it says blah" just get off at for example "elkton/newark" or "newark-south" or "newark-east" or whatever the 3 names would be.

here are the german rules:

1. announce of the exit: only distance/number/name of the exit

2. "pre-direction sign": only distance/road numbers/destinations (can also be overhead of course)

then you have three of so called "baken" giving the distance till the begin of the slow-down-lane for the exit. the exit number appears again on the 300m-bake, but not on the 200m and 100m bake

3. direction sign when the slow-down-lane begins: destinations (can be overhead of course, too)

4. distance sign after the exit

the thing with the round shape of the state's route is that this sign i edited is located in new jersey, and the connected road (439) is a ring road around elizabeth, nj. i know that each state has it's own state route number design
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM   #353
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sometimes there are 2 "vorwegweisers".
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM   #354
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Here you just need to widen the right board, it's too squeezed (I know, it's the original, but it can't stay this way).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM   #355
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

@ Matt:

The Newark Ones maybe could look like this (anounces and pre-direction signs)

@ Ze Protektor: For the signs I use a programm called WEGWEIS and of course a picture editing programm.

Last edited by Patrick; May 22nd, 2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM   #356
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Looks great!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM   #357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

By the way, the new Clearview font looks really good!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM   #358
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Of course, he's referring to Newark, DE and not Newark, NJ.

It is very common in the USA for important cities of the same name to be located very close to each other in neighboring states. Perhaps he can include the 'DE' after the 'Newark' on the ones for I-95 in Delaware and the 'NJ' after the 'Newark' for the ones in New Jersey.

Oh yea, I also wish that the USA would use 'm' and 'km' on its signs, too, but that is for a different discussion.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:48 AM   #359
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Sometimes there are 2 "vorwegweisers".
Normally only at interchanges.

Btw, nice idea, Patrick. Especially that you use Hessian style signs. They are so much clearer and reasoned than those used in the rest of Germany.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM   #360
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
On the westbound exit, I'd add Yuba City and Ophir as destinations; Eastbound, Lincoln and Ophir is enough.

and like everywhere, i'd add a so called "vorwegweiser"
What the hell is Ophir? I live here for 7 years and have never seen or driven through this town. But hey, you are not from this area, so I wouldn't expect you to know which cities are more significant than others. But the sign you've designed kicks ass! Bravo! I would like to see more of these here.

Quote:
EXIT 105A:
I'd always put the name of the city or the town where you are in the moment or where the roads belong to:
The sign would look even more genuine if the street names were black on white. But I like it!

I made one observation regarding the road engineers. They are all WASPs. In Electrical Engineering department (where I study) there are bunch of people from all over the world, but for some reason foreign folks don't want to go into road engineering field. Probably, that is the reason why America is stuck with current ugly non-standardised signs
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote