daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: left, center or right aligned?
Left aligned 12 28.57%
Center aligned 10 23.81%
Right aligned 0 0%
mixed (overhead center, exit left aligned) 19 45.24%
i don't look at the signage anyway 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #21
demanjo

Likes (Received): 0

Sure you are doing well, but you cannot deny that it is completely illogical. Sure you are used to it, as was Australia, and all nations essentially, but they came into line, bit the bullet, and learnt a new system as to line up with a more logical and practical method. The new generations coming through would learn it and be more integrated with the international community, and the older generations would just have to tough it and learn. It is not exactly hard to learn when you are immersed in a culture. Take exchange students, typically in one year, they can come back from another country and be nearly fluent in a language if they apply themselves and take interest. Adjusting miles to kilometers is not exactly rocket science - 1km=1.6mi. Adjusting Kilo's to Pounds is not either, 1kg=~2.2lbs.
People living in metric nations typically know the breakdown, yet the US remains ignorant (according to you, and from my observations). We see the light, ackowledge your system, but deny it because it is flawed in an international context.

And BIG DEAL if you had to change your highway signs. For gods sake, to share the load between the nation and its highway/road workers, it would involve 5 minutes work for any one person. Even if you dont eliminate miles, if you integrated them into displays (as previously mentioned) the transition would be much more seamless and progresive as people get used to both systems.

Quote:
I also think it's funny and ironic how people put down Americans when we boast about how great the U.S. is because when people tell an American the U.S. isn't all that we honestly don't care and just laugh it off. I mean, how can you say the U.S. is not the best? It might be ignorant or arrogant but we honestly don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.
You are too funny. People put you down because you are so arrogant. So how do you react? By being more arrogant and dismissing their complaints. Yet you dismiss them by being more arrogant, hence accentuating the problem. You not giving a shit is why people hate americans. And this isnt about America being the best. Sure its a beautiful country and has a robust economy (although the future is going to be a nice funny rollercoaster), so there is a chance that it may be the best, but it, in conjunction with your ****ed up attitude, makes it far from.

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #22
Balikbayan
William

Likes (Received): 3

Please note that in Star Trek, the future is METRIC. Mixing-up Imperial and Metric has created some costly incidents in real life now, such as a Marslander lost and a Canadian Boeing 767 running empty in mid-flight (the "Gimly Glider" incident). The UK partly and the Philippines almost completely have changed to Metric. Scientific research in the US also more and more in Metric. So pls USA, follow the real world - Metric is not french anymore but universal.
Balikbayan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #23
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Metric measurements is ok, I guess

But the Celcius so-called "temperature scale" is dangerous and evil
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #24
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1509

I havnt seen a single metric sign in the UK....our country is mixed with metric and Imperical!

We buy our petrol in gallons and our drink in liters!

The pool is 25 meters long, the man is 6 feet tall!

The man weighs 14 stone...the car weighs two thousand kilos!

Temperature is strange over here aswell...every other time its in 'C....but when it gets over 35'C the media suddenly convert to 'F...its no longer 38'C its 101'F!

And we still measure everything in inches!

But 'C is deffinately the correct way to do temp.

water freezes and 0 and boils at 100....cant go wrong with that!

Some info there for you

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #25
get13

Likes (Received): 9

At high school in the UK I learn everything in metric, but I dont know my height in metres but I know it in feet. Same for my weight.

BTW FM 2258: What a stereotypical American you are! Calm down man!! It's only a measurment system not the end of the world.

Oh and seeing as you "Own" Afghanistan and Iraq then we Brits own it too
get13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #26
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5687

The Système International d'Unités is the best

http://www.industrie.gouv.fr/metro/aquoisert/si.htm

http://www.industrie.gouv.fr/metro/a...rt/si2.htm#ume

http://www.industrie.gouv.fr/metro/a...rt/si3.htm#uri

The only thing you guys might dislike is that it's French .

http://www.industrie.gouv.fr/metro/a...rt/prefixe.htm
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #27
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5687

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258

So when I look on this forum and someone posts something about a 400m skyscraper, I honestly have hardly a clue what they mean so I go to www.google.com, look up a converter and convert that to feet......and get 1,312.34 ft which in my head makes much more sense than 400m. I know meter is around a yard but I don't use yards that much since I use feet much more often.
You answer your question yourself here. You say you don't understand why people should learn the metric system when they are used to the imperial one but at the same time you say you don't understand the metric, when it's widely used here (on SSC).
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #28
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

i wish the US would change over to the metric, much easier than imperial but...i 'think' in miles, farenheit and pounds
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #29
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Neither system is better than the other.

Metric is the way of the world, and the system of science. This makes sense because equations are easier to calulate when dealing with 1,10,100 and so forth. This alone explains the merits of the metric system.

However, foreigners need to understand, that the US is just different. This isnt just a country, but a continent. 60% of its inhabitants will never cross its borders, and most only travel to Canada, Mexico, or perhaps a Carribean island. People here are set in their ways. They are used to building with inches, and cooking with teaspoons. They know that 80 deg. is a nice warm day. So why change? Not only would the conversion costs be high (all those signs add up), but there would have to be a national campaign to educate the population. Why bother?

I am not saying that the US system is better, but I have never heard a sensible explaination for why the US should change. Remember our R&D and Science uses the metric system like everybody else, so why make my grandmother learn that her quart is now 0.91 liters?

On a side note, Great Briton changed its imperial system to meet metric standards. Talk about a mess. In the US (the original imperial system) a gallon is 3.8 liters, and a pound is 454 grams. In GB, that same "gallon" is 4 liters and that same "pound" is 500 gram. Talk to an older butcher in GB and you wont hear the end of it.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #30
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarchus
You answer your question yourself here. You say you don't understand why people should learn the metric system when they are used to the imperial one but at the same time you say you don't understand the metric, when it's widely used here (on SSC).
I have no problem with people learning either system but I wouldn't want everything to go to metric when it comes to highways or our every day measurements in the U.S.

Yes I see it alot on SSC but I'm always converting in my head or calculating it back to what I'm used to. Like I said I think it's comparable to language. We use the language of imperical while the rest of the world seems to use the language of metric. It's easier for me to spout out imperical units because I'm used to it and so is everyone else here.

To the others talking about me being typical American, how come other countries aren't as proud and boastful of their own countries like people in the U.S. If I was in China, U.K., Canada, Greece or any other country why would it be bad if I said "China can kick your ass", "Canada is the BEST!!!!" or "There's NO better place than Greece." Come on, people should be more proud and arorgant about where they're from and not be ashamed of it. Americans boast about our country with NO wussy apologies and NO shame, why should anyone be ashamed of being proud of where they live?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #31
The anti-cheesehead

Likes (Received): 4

One thing I think is interesting are automobiles and trucks. I used to work on cars, and the older American cars are all standard, but the newer ones are metric.

For working on vehicles, I prefer metric. It's a lot more simple to work with 13 mm, 16 mm, 17 mm, etc. than 1/2 inch, 5/8 inch, 7/8 inch, etc. I had to work on American cars and Japanese, European, etc., so I had to learn both. But I have to agree with FM 2258 that it wouldn't make any sense to change over the speed limit, gas station, and odometers to metric in the US.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #32
The anti-cheesehead

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
To the others talking about me being typical American, how come other countries aren't as proud and boastful of their own countries like people in the U.S. If I was in China, U.K., Canada, Greece or any other country why would it be bad if I said "China can kick your ass", "Canada is the BEST!!!!" or "There's NO better place than Greece." Come on, people should be more proud and arorgant about where they're from and not be ashamed of it. Americans boast about our country with NO wussy apologies and NO shame, why should anyone be ashamed of being proud of where they live?
You haven't been around here that long huh?

At least here at SSC, UK and Canadian arrogance absolutely annilihates US arrogance. Blows it away.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #33
JARdan

Wow, I never knew that there were Metric signs in the U.S, and some of those signs displayed Km' as PRIMARY units, lol. In Kentucky, Delaware, Colorado etc??? Wow.

I love the Metric System much more than the Imperial System. However, I measure my height in feet and inches (6'3), I measure myself in pounds (160lbs), and I measure elevations in feet, not meters.

It's kind of like being bilingual! lol.

Also, for car performance times: I use 1/4 mile times and usually 0-60mph instead of 0-100kmh
JARdan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #34
JARdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
At least here at SSC, UK and Canadian arrogance absolutely annilihates US arrogance. Blows it away.
Ouch.
JARdan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #35
Carter
Custom User Title.

Likes (Received): 0

Americans use millimeters to define the barrel of a gun...and a ***** seems much larger when put in centimeters compared to inches...

I think the metric system on the whole is a more comprehensive system and easier to learn then the other way around.
1 Kilometer is 1000 meters is 10.000 decimeters is 100.000 centimeters.
One can replace the meters with liters and it still makes sense, or kilograms. 1 liter of water weighs 1 kilogram. Aint that easy?

Cart,
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #36
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
You haven't been around here that long huh?

I guess I should read more. Hey, if I lived in the UK or Canada, I'd be proud as hell to be part of those countries. Plus for some reason I really do admire the British. Look at all the cool stuff they've spawned just from their little island like Hong Kong, the United States, Australia, Singapore, South Africa and others I can't think of off hand, plus they've got the whole world speaking their language.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #37
Homeroids
Daka daka daka daka

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Why is metric the way of the future? I think Imperical is better. The world isn't divided up in 1s, 10s and 1000s. Things are imperfect and I think Imperical (U.S. Customary or whatever) fits our country better.

Plus when you grow up with a certian measurement you just grow fond of it. When I drive on the Interstate I already know that 1mile I have time to think about exiting, 1/2 mile I better start thinking about getting in the right lane, 1/4 mile I should be in the right lane and at the "-->" the exit is there.

When I was driving to El Paso the sign said "El Paso 518", yeah, I know what 518 miles is but if it said some thing like "1000 km" me and most other people would convert that shit to miles before we comprehend what it really is.

So when I look on this forum and someone posts something about a 400m skyscraper, I honestly have hardly a clue what they mean so I go to www.google.com, look up a converter and convert that to feet......and get 1,312.34 ft which in my head makes much more sense than 400m. I know meter is around a yard but I don't use yards that much since I use feet much more often.

I also think it's funny and ironic how people put down Americans when we boast about how great the U.S. is because when people tell an American the U.S. isn't all that we honestly don't care and just laugh it off. I mean, how can you say the U.S. is not the best? It might be ignorant or arrogant but we honestly don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

If some worldwide law was made that said you had to pick one country and never leave it for the rest of your life I bet many people would pick the U.S. You'd be stuck here for the rest of your life but you can still visit places in the U.S. like the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, American Samoa, Saipan, Guantanamo bay and some other territories I can't think of off hand. Plus we pretty much own Afghanistan and Iraq right now but that's a different story.

Anyway, yes I may be an arrogant American but back to the topic at hand, I think the metric system is best used for soda bottles. I know what 1, 2 and 3 liter bottles are but when it comes to milk I like gallons. Let the U.S. keep our measurement system, look how far we've come using it.

Then why does the science community in the US use Metric? Simply because it is more logical in it's primers and how measurements work. That's simply a fact rather than a subjective opinion.

"Why am I surrounded by idiots?"
Homeroids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #38
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3684

I think Ireland also just changed their system aswell?

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #39
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Likes (Received): 55

i think it basically comes down to what ur used to really, being from Australia i find the use of the metric system much easier and find imperial measurements confusing but thats just cos i have been raised with the metric system.

And as for FM 2258, US doesnt mean better, and not "everyone" wants to go to the US, its just those unfortunate South Americans that have it a lot worse than those in the US, that doesnt mean the US is better than every country in the world, far from it. Just another example of American ignorance, its people like FM 2258, that give u yanks a bad repuatation the world over.
Barsby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #40
DeMaFrost

Location: Too North for Lakeview, too east for Roscoe Village
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeantcm
New Hampshire started putting signs on all new construction in dual units, I'm not sure if that's still the standard but I think we're still doing it. Ironic considering we were the third to last state to ditch metric and turn back to imperial for design work.

I also know the northern end of I-87 in New York is dual units, in fact bi-lingual as well.
Is that why that one random road sign on I-93 for Tilton/Laconia has 1 Mile (1.6 KM) on it, but no signs before and after that have metric conversions?

New Hampshire also has English/French bilingual welcoming signs into the state, even coming from Mass
DeMaFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote