daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: left, center or right aligned?
Left aligned 12 28.57%
Center aligned 10 23.81%
Right aligned 0 0%
mixed (overhead center, exit left aligned) 19 45.24%
i don't look at the signage anyway 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 5th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #81
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeroids
Well it is causing big issues. Just ask NASA. Since the science community needs to use a system based on logic, they use metric but some nut at NASA forgot that one day when they were going into an entry orbit for a MARS probe which fatally came in at a trajectory, oh about a ratio 1:0.609 out because some employee still thought in imperial. That probe came in hot and burnt up. True story. That cost over 100mill.
What happened was that NASA had contracted the building of the probe to a private contractor, Lockheed Martin. Lockheed Martin had done all their measurements in customary (or Imperial, or w/e) units, but NASA had assumed they were in metric. The thrust that the probe had been designed for was in pounds instead of Newtons and 1 lb equal 4.5N, so the probe burned up in the Martian atmosphere because it didn't have enough power to stay in orbit.

Commenting, one of the scientists said: "This is going to be the cautionary tale that will be embedded into introduction to the metric system in elementary school, high school, and college science courses till the end of time."
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #82
MichiganDude
Yay.

Likes (Received): 1

Something I use metric for is for a 2 liter of pop. Actually now that I think about it, everyone I know says 2 liter. A lot easier than saying can I have a 2.1 fl oz of pop.
MichiganDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #83
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
Yes, everything in the United States is better. That's why everyone wants to come here.
Go there for what? To be Ignorent. No thanks.

IMPERIAL SUX!!!!!!!!!!!

TORONTO 2016
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #84
fcarvall

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanjo
Im sorry
But that is one of the most ignorant and arrogant things i've ever heard. I love you for it though, because YOU satisfy the American Stereotype that occasionally exists in my mind.

Imperial is nonsensical and redundant. Metric is logical and the way of the future. I think it is absurd that the US still used Imperial.

what do you guys use in Australia?
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #85
fcarvall

Likes (Received): 6

Here in the US: there's 1 liter cokes, except smaller ones, then they come in fluid ounces and wierd stuff like that. Then doctors talk about cm: a woman is 10 cm dialated, etc.

What is wierd is that in Spanish TV here they use Farenheit, when all spanish speaking people think in celcius.
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #86
demanjo

Likes (Received): 0

Sorry about my previosu posts, they were a bit harsh...

But fcarvall,
In Australia, we use metric exclusively. The only time we roughly use imperial is to say height, say 6 foot, although all official things etc are in metric. We changed over in the 60's i think. Only metric is taught in school now. Infact my sisters, when they see "lbs" (as in pounds), they call the units "libs" because we never come in contact with them.
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #87
greek_eagle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai
It'd make sense for states bordering Canada and Mexico to have metric signage, but Ohio?

HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED CONSULTING A MAP? OHIO MAY NOT BORDER CANADA BY LAND...IT DOES BY WATER THOUGH...BUT IT IS NOT VERY FAR FROM THE BORDER...IT MAKES SENSE TO HAVE METRIC SIGNS...FURTHERMORE, THE UNITED STATES IS OFFICIALLY A METRIC COUNTRY.
greek_eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #88
greek_eagle

Quote:
Why is metric the way of the future? I think Imperical is better. The world isn't divided up in 1s, 10s and 1000s. Things are imperfect and I think Imperical (U.S. Customary or whatever) fits our country better.

Plus when you grow up with a certian measurement you just grow fond of it. When I drive on the Interstate I already know that 1mile I have time to think about exiting, 1/2 mile I better start thinking about getting in the right lane, 1/4 mile I should be in the right lane and at the "-->" the exit is there.

When I was driving to El Paso the sign said "El Paso 518", yeah, I know what 518 miles is but if it said some thing like "1000 km" me and most other people would convert that shit to miles before we comprehend what it really is.

So when I look on this forum and someone posts something about a 400m skyscraper, I honestly have hardly a clue what they mean so I go to www.google.com, look up a converter and convert that to feet......and get 1,312.34 ft which in my head makes much more sense than 400m. I know meter is around a yard but I don't use yards that much since I use feet much more often.

I also think it's funny and ironic how people put down Americans when we boast about how great the U.S. is because when people tell an American the U.S. isn't all that we honestly don't care and just laugh it off. I mean, how can you say the U.S. is not the best? It might be ignorant or arrogant but we honestly don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

If some worldwide law was made that said you had to pick one country and never leave it for the rest of your life I bet many people would pick the U.S. You'd be stuck here for the rest of your life but you can still visit places in the U.S. like the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, American Samoa, Saipan, Guantanamo bay and some other territories I can't think of off hand. Plus we pretty much own Afghanistan and Iraq right now but that's a different story. [THIS IS VERY IGNORANT OF YOU]

Anyway, yes I may be an arrogant American but back to the topic at hand, I think the metric system is best used for soda bottles. I know what 1, 2 and 3 liter bottles are but when it comes to milk I like gallons. Let the U.S. keep our measurement system, look how far we've come using it.

MY FRIEND, THE UNITED STATES IS OFFICIALLY METRIC!!! WAY BEFORE CANADA!!! CANADA JUST WENT THROUGH "SOFT CONVERSION". BASICALLY, THEY HAVE PRETEND 12 OZ CANS BUT THEY WRITE 355 ml ! I, TOO, GREW UP WITH MILES & GALLONS...BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS BEST! I LIVE IN EUROPE NOW, AND I OFTEN DO SOME CONVERTING....BUT THAT IS FOR ME...NOT BECAUSE IT IS BETTER!! YOU MUST REMEMBER THAT ENGLISH UNITS WERE FORMED BY MEASURING FROM TIPS OF NOSES TO FINGER TIPS....C'MON NOW...LET'S BE REALISTIC!! AND FURTHERMORE, WE DO COUNT IN 1's....ONE SECOND, MINUTE, HOUR, DAY, YEAR ETC., YOU GO TO SCHOOL AND YOU MOVE A GRADE ETC., EVERYTHING IS IN ONES! FOR CONVENIENCE WE THEN GO TO TENS, HUNDREDS AND FINALLY THOUSANDS....AND IF THIS IS NOT UNDERSTANDABLE THINK OF UNITED STATES CURRENCY....HOW MANY CENTS TO A DOLLAR?..............WHY NOT 112? I THINK YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THAT THINGS GO BETTER IN ONES AND TENS...

PS. CAUSE THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL FORUM AND THIS PLACE IS NOT YOURS OR OURS....WATCH WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT US ACTIVITY ABROAD. THINGS ARE BAD ENOUGH WITHOUT HAVING IGNORANT COMMENTS LIKE YOURS! THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK PLEASE!
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #89
greek_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanjo
Sure you are doing well, but you cannot deny that it is completely illogical. Sure you are used to it, as was Australia, and all nations essentially, but they came into line, bit the bullet, and learnt a new system as to line up with a more logical and practical method. The new generations coming through would learn it and be more integrated with the international community, and the older generations would just have to tough it and learn. It is not exactly hard to learn when you are immersed in a culture. Take exchange students, typically in one year, they can come back from another country and be nearly fluent in a language if they apply themselves and take interest. Adjusting miles to kilometers is not exactly rocket science - 1km=1.6mi. Adjusting Kilo's to Pounds is not either, 1kg=~2.2lbs.
People living in metric nations typically know the breakdown, yet the US remains ignorant (according to you, and from my observations). We see the light, ackowledge your system, but deny it because it is flawed in an international context.

And BIG DEAL if you had to change your highway signs. For gods sake, to share the load between the nation and its highway/road workers, it would involve 5 minutes work for any one person. Even if you dont eliminate miles, if you integrated them into displays (as previously mentioned) the transition would be much more seamless and progresive as people get used to both systems.

You are too funny. People put you down because you are so arrogant. So how do you react? By being more arrogant and dismissing their complaints. Yet you dismiss them by being more arrogant, hence accentuating the problem. You not giving a shit is why people hate americans. And this isnt about America being the best. Sure its a beautiful country and has a robust economy (although the future is going to be a nice funny rollercoaster), so there is a chance that it may be the best, but it, in conjunction with your ****ed up attitude, makes it far from.
I HATE GETTING CAUGHT UP IN THIS..BUT.......IT'S NOT REALLY HIS FAULT HE IS IGNORANT...REMEMBER, IGNORANCE IS NOT A SIN...THAT HAS TO DO WITH THE EDUCATION SYSTEM ..YOU MUST REMEMBER SOMETHING..WHEN I WAS LIVING IN CALIFORNIA..I REMEMBER ONE NIGHT ON JAY LENO IF I CAN RECALL, AND GEORGIE W. BUSHIE WAS ON..AND HE WAS ASKED ABOUT CHICAGO..SOMEWHERE IN THE CONVERSATION, THE QUESTION ABOUT WHICH OCEAN CHICAGO WAS LOCATED ON...AND THE MAN DID NOT KNOW! IT IS BAD ENOUGH THAT HE DIDN'T KNOW THAT ISTANBUL WAS NOT THE CAPITAL OF TURKEY AMONG OTHERS BUT WHEN HE DIDN'T KNOW THAT THE NATION'S 3RD LARGEST CITY WAS SITUATED ON A "LAKE" AND HE WAS SCRATCHING HIS HEAD ...YOU KNEW THAT YOU MUST FEEL NOTHING BUT SYMPATHY FOR THE NATION WAS IN THIS MAN'S HANDS!!

AS FAR AS CHANGING THE SIGNS...IT MIGHT HELP THE UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBERS! WHO KNOWS? WHO CARES? SHEEEEEEESH!!
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #90
vid

Likes (Received): 921

DON'T WRITE IN ALL CAPS IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A FCKING *******!!!11

The three or four people that they show during Jay Walking on Jay Leno are EXCEPTIONS to Americans. They talk to, literally, hundreds of people. They only get a few that answer like that. They choose the most comical ones. Many people also know what Jaywalking is and will answer dumb on purpose to get on the show. BUT IGNORANCE IS NOT A SIN!!!

I am fluent in both measurements, I can think in both, measure in both, understand both, and convert them in mere seconds. It isn't hard to know two systems of measurement.
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #91
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen
What happened was that NASA had contracted the building of the probe to a private contractor, Lockheed Martin. Lockheed Martin had done all their measurements in customary (or Imperial, or w/e) units, but NASA had assumed they were in metric. The thrust that the probe had been designed for was in pounds instead of Newtons and 1 lb equal 4.5N, so the probe burned up in the Martian atmosphere because it didn't have enough power to stay in orbit.

Commenting, one of the scientists said: "This is going to be the cautionary tale that will be embedded into introduction to the metric system in elementary school, high school, and college science courses till the end of time."
The Nasa incident is exactly the reason why the US should change to the metric system, it avoids confusion with scientists and also non Americans.

About the difficulty in changing to the metric, the "menu" costs would certainly pay itself especially if costly incidents such as the Nasa Mars mishap could have been easily avoided, if measurements were standardised to all from brainy rocket scientists and technicians at Nasa to the average American Joe, everyone would be on the same page, understanding each other. How many more measurement mistakes must there be till the US realize the wisdom in standardizing measurements.

In Australia, my green grocers was telling me how decades ago, it wasn't all that difficult to change to metric from British imperial measurements, people adopted it rather quickly and saw the instinctive logical nature of the metric. So changing to a completely new measurement system is not as difficult as some would make it out to be, if only the American public specifically non-scientific community would give it a chance.

Why not give it a chance? Afraid that the US would adopt a "French" system? A system used thats used by the rest of the world?

Anyways, "Pounds" and "feet" are still used by Aussies at times though the context is usually things said in passing, say a persons height. Thats habitual however, but shows it isn't hard to think in both systems. In terms of everything else, official calculations, statistics, map scales, signs, its standardised to the metric for simplicity. It saves measurement problems, avoids confusion.

Bleh, that said, if America still wants to keep its current measurement system, then so be it, its her choice and is what makes the country unique.

Last edited by Subangite; July 11th, 2006 at 10:23 PM.
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #92
greek_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP
Great Britain didn't change the imperial system to meet metric standards - a UK gallon was always different to a US gallon because in the UK there are 20 fluid ounces to the pint rather than 16 as in the US, which means a UK gallon is 4.546 litres as opposed to 3.785 litres in the US.

A UK pound is also 454 grams.

DIFFERENCES ARE ONLY IN LIQUID MEASURE, TONS; SHORT TONS ...BUT THE REST IS BASICALLY THE SAME. 6 FT IS 6 FT. 1 LB IS 1 LB AND THAT IS ALWAYS EQUALS 454 GRAMS .
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #93
greek_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid
DON'T WRITE IN ALL CAPS IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A FCKING *******!!!11

The three or four people that they show during Jay Walking on Jay Leno are EXCEPTIONS to Americans. They talk to, literally, hundreds of people. They only get a few that answer like that. They choose the most comical ones. Many people also know what Jaywalking is and will answer dumb on purpose to get on the show. BUT IGNORANCE IS NOT A SIN!!!

I am fluent in both measurements, I can think in both, measure in both, understand both, and convert them in mere seconds. It isn't hard to know two systems of measurement.

FIRST OF ALL, I ALWAYS WRITE IN CAPITALS...IT'S EASIER FOR ME. AND I DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN WHY. IF YOU ARE FLUENT IN BOTH THAT'S NICE...I AM TOO...I NEVER SAID THAT IGNORANCE IS A SIN...BUT WHEN YOU GO AROUND TALKING LIKE OUR TEXAN FRIEND, START AT THE BEGINNING...THEN IGNORANCE AND ARROGANCE IS DEFINITELY A SIN. IF SOMEONE IS IGNORANT ABOUT SOMETHING THERE IS DEF. NOTHING WRONG...WHERE I LIVE, ILLITERATE PEOPLE CAN SIGN WITH A CROSS, AND THERE'S DEF. NOTHING WRONG OR NOTHING TO LAUGH AT. I RECENTLY GOT MAIL FROM CANADA SENT TO ME IN GREECE AND ADDRESSED ....ATHENS, ATTICA, ALABAMA, GREECE. NO BIGGIE...BUT, LIKE I SAID BEFORE, WHEN ONE GETS ARROGANT HEY THAT IS WHERE MOST PEOPLE DRAW THE LINE..AND MY FRIEND, I KNOW THAT IT IS HARD FOR YOU ..BUT THERE IS NO REASON TO SIT HERE AND CALL ME AN *******! ...IT SHOWS YOUR UPBRINGING AND A LACK OF VOCABULARY IN YOUR WORD BANK TO CONSTRUCT A SERIES OF WORDS TO MAKE A SENTENCE. AS FAR AS JAY LENO IS CONCERNED ..I THINK WE EXPECT SOMETHING MORE FROM THE LEADER OF A COUNTRY! IF THEY CAN'T TAKE THE PRESSURE OF THE JOB THEY SHOULD STEP DOWN...NOW IF YOU FIND NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING AN IGNORANT [AND ARROGANT] LEADER[I KNOW HE'S NOT YOURS, BUT HE IS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT]..THEN I EXPECT THAT YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD...AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SPEAK ABOUT WORLD EVENTS..AFTER ALL, THEY ARE ALL DONE IN GOOD TASTE...THERE'S HUMOR TO THEM...SOMETHING TO LAUGH AT SITTING COMFORTABLY IN YOUR LIVING ROOM AND LAUGHING AT THE POOR SOULS THAT ARE BEING SLAUGHTERED AT THE HANDS OF THESE POOR IGNORANT SOULS WHO ARE ONLY DOING SO JUST FOR THE SAKE OF HUMORING NORTH AMERICANS. GOOD POINT. I REALLY SYMPATHIZE WITH YOU.
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #94
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

For the most part, Americans HAVE unofficially adopted metric measurements... particularly where it avoids fractions. I happen to think that Fahrenheit is a far more "relevant" scale to the daily experience of people, and I'm not fond of measuring distances with meters or kilometers... but I'm also one of the first to use millimeters instead of fractional inches, milliliters instead of fractional ounces, and grams & milligrams instead of fractional ounces and pounds. Like most Americans, I see nothing weird about saying that something is 11 inches x 17 inches by 3mm thick, weighs a pound, and accelerates at 9.8m/S^2 when dropped, impacting the floor with ${n} newtons of force, and causing a gallon-sized bucket full of zero-degree fahrenheit ice cream to spill and make a mess as it melts into a 10-inch diameter pool .

The big problem with Celsius is that the freezing and boiling points of water are largely irrelevant to daily life, so half the scale is effectively wasted and unavailable for use. The temperatures where it becomes extra-dangerous to be outdoors (below zero, above a hundred degrees) are, however, quite directly relevant to daily life. Water might freeze at 32 degrees, but a freezer REALLY needs to be kept colder... usually, right around zero degrees Fahrenheit.

The British (and, I think, Chinese) redefinition of "pound" as "500g", and "gallon" as "4 liters" were fairly sensible compromises that recreated nice single-unit values for things that people like to think of as whole single units. Let's face it... 500mL just isn't quite the right size for a can. For some inexplicable reason, 355mL/12oz just happens to be one of those sizes that "work", just like 2 liters is a good size for bottles... a gallon-jug of diet Coke would feel unwieldy, but a liter-bottle of diet Coke is too big for one serving, but not big enough for two.

Last edited by miamicanes; July 12th, 2006 at 07:12 AM.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #95
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes
The British (and, I think, Chinese) redefinition of "pound" as "500g", and "gallon" as "4 liters" were fairly sensible compromises that recreated nice single-unit values for things that people like to think of as whole single units. Let's face it... 500mL just isn't quite the right size for a can. For some inexplicable reason, 355mL/12oz just happens to be one of those sizes that "work", just like 2 liters is a good size for bottles... a gallon-jug of diet Coke would feel unwieldy, but a liter-bottle of diet Coke is too big for one serving, but not big enough for two.
I believe 355 is only used in North America. 350ml is used elsewhere.
Of course in France, youll be using a 22dl bottle at resteraunts (I think it was 22 when I went)

I buy my coke in 2.5liter bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PhantoM
It's the same with england where the driverseat is on the right, while the rest of the world has the driverseat on the left. I doens't make sense, but the UK just likes to be different and doesn't give a **** about compatibility with the rest of the world. same story goes with their currency. most countries over here have the euro except for the UK.
Thats wrong. Around 1/5 of the world population drives on the left. UK, India and Japan are the major countries.

And at least the pound is in decimals. No shillings and such
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #96
Dreamliner
BANNED

Quote:
Why is metric the way of the future? I think Imperical is better. The world isn't divided up in 1s, 10s and 1000s. Things are imperfect and I think Imperical (U.S. Customary or whatever) fits our country better.

Plus when you grow up with a certian measurement you just grow fond of it. When I drive on the Interstate I already know that 1mile I have time to think about exiting, 1/2 mile I better start thinking about getting in the right lane, 1/4 mile I should be in the right lane and at the "-->" the exit is there.

When I was driving to El Paso the sign said "El Paso 518", yeah, I know what 518 miles is but if it said some thing like "1000 km" me and most other people would convert that shit to miles before we comprehend what it really is.

So when I look on this forum and someone posts something about a 400m skyscraper, I honestly have hardly a clue what they mean so I go to www.google.com, look up a converter and convert that to feet......and get 1,312.34 ft which in my head makes much more sense than 400m. I know meter is around a yard but I don't use yards that much since I use feet much more often.

I also think it's funny and ironic how people put down Americans when we boast about how great the U.S. is because when people tell an American the U.S. isn't all that we honestly don't care and just laugh it off. I mean, how can you say the U.S. is not the best? It might be ignorant or arrogant but we honestly don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

If some worldwide law was made that said you had to pick one country and never leave it for the rest of your life I bet many people would pick the U.S. You'd be stuck here for the rest of your life but you can still visit places in the U.S. like the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, American Samoa, Saipan, Guantanamo bay and some other territories I can't think of off hand. Plus we pretty much own Afghanistan and Iraq right now but that's a different story.

Anyway, yes I may be an arrogant American but back to the topic at hand, I think the metric system is best used for soda bottles. I know what 1, 2 and 3 liter bottles are but when it comes to milk I like gallons. Let the U.S. keep our measurement system, look how far we've come using it.

Hey bud, while I do agree with you on most of your reasoning, we don't "own" Afganistan or Irak. We are there to fight the war on terrorism and to help them establish free, democratic societies. Those folks who hate us are just jealous hypocrites, forever mouthing off against us, then they go home in their jeans, eat a hamburger and watch MTV. So chill...we have most of the world as good friends.
Dreamliner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #97
Poryaa

United States got more international at last.
Poryaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #98
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Likes (Received): 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek_eagle
FIRST OF ALL, I ALWAYS WRITE IN CAPITALS...IT'S EASIER FOR ME. AND I DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN WHY.
I think I've figured out the reason for myself. You post in all capitals because you bought one of those cheap keyboards which only has capital letters on it, didn't you?
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #99
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes
The big problem with Celsius is that the freezing and boiling points of water are largely irrelevant to daily life, so half the scale is effectively wasted and unavailable for use.
1. The freezing point of water is very relevant to daily life, unless you live somewhere hot where it never snows!

2. The Celsius scale doesn't have an upper limit, so how can half of it be wasted?

Quote:
The British (and, I think, Chinese) redefinition of "pound" as "500g", and "gallon" as "4 liters" were fairly sensible compromises that recreated nice single-unit values for things that people like to think of as whole single units.
3. The British redefined a pound as exactly 453.59237 grams, not 500.
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #100
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PhantoM
It's the same with england where the driverseat is on the right, while the rest of the world has the driverseat on the left. I doens't make sense, but the UK just likes to be different and doesn't give a **** about compatibility with the rest of the world.
Bollocks. Seven hundred years ago everybody drove on the left (Pope Boniface VIII even made it law for pilgrims heading to Rome) - it was the Americans that decided to be different (the first driving-on-the-right law was made in Pennslyvania in 1792)...