daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: left, center or right aligned?
Left aligned 12 28.57%
Center aligned 10 23.81%
Right aligned 0 0%
mixed (overhead center, exit left aligned) 19 45.24%
i don't look at the signage anyway 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 13th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #141
Ning

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysgreg
http://www.metricsucks.org/ramblings.html

I LOVE this website

What would life be like if the English standard system didn't exist?

The Indy 500 would be the Indy 804.67; there would also be the Daytona 804.67

A football field would be 91.44 meters long

Jules Verne would never have written 96561 kilometers under the sea

A 9 pound hammer would be known as a 4.0823 kilogram hammer

Peter Piper would have had to pick 7570.8 cubic centimeters of pickled peppers

14515 kilograms and what do your get? Another day older and a deeper in debt.

Top fuel drag racers would be doing the 0.40234 kilometer in under 5 seconds

Give him 2.54 centimeters, he'll take 1.6093 Kilometers

You'd have to order 236.58 milliliters of coffe
It's completly silly. If the English standard system didn't exist, these expressions would not have existed... It would have been Indy 800. A football field would be 90 meters long, etc.... And I feel francophobia on this page http://www.metricsucks.org/history.html

"It is IMPOSSIBLE to divide a meter by three, because you get
0.333333333 etc meters"

Are these guys completly retards ? It's just like saying you can't divide a mile by three, because you get 0.333333333333 miles.

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #142
will.exe

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
Why is metric the way of the future? I think Imperical is better. The world isn't divided up in 1s, 10s and 1000s. Things are imperfect and I think Imperical (U.S. Customary or whatever) fits our country better.
Until you can spell "imperial" correctly, i will continue to question your credibility.

What many people here fail to realize is that the metric system has not completely taken over in many countries (well this is from a canadian's perspective). We measure speed and distance in kilometers, volume in litres. Officially we measure weights in grams/kilograms, but everyone still measures themselves by feet/inches (i am 6'1"), and pounds for weight. I have yet to meet someone who is 214cm tall and 70kg.

Last edited by will.exe; August 13th, 2006 at 04:08 AM.
will.exe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #143
Nutterbug

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrfan55345
How much do they cost???
Nothing at all. The Dvorak keyboard layout option is available on the operating system with the exact same keyboard that you already have. You'll just have to familiarize yourself with the key arrangement of the characters, since the keycaps won't match them.
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #144
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Well, even in the non-metric USA, metric measurement firmly exists in some applications:

* measurement of weights where greater precision than a half ounce is required (grams or milligrams)

* measurement of volumes where precision greater than a half ounce is required (milliliters or cubic centimeters)

* basically, wherever an imperial unit specific to the use in question doesn't exist and fractions would otherwise be necessary. In America, there's nothing unusual about specifying the displacement of an engine in liters, but expressing its power in horsepower. Diamonds are weighed by the carat, but dimensioned in millimeters.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #145
smartlake

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ning
It's completly silly. If the English standard system didn't exist, these expressions would not have existed... It would have been Indy 800. A football field would be 90 meters long, etc.... And I feel francophobia on this page http://www.metricsucks.org/history.html

"It is IMPOSSIBLE to divide a meter by three, because you get
0.333333333 etc meters"

Are these guys completly retards ? It's just like saying you can't divide a mile by three, because you get 0.333333333333 miles.
Obviously you don't understand that those expressions are jokes.

A while back (I am not sure if it is still in effect) the US gov't decided to convert everything into the metric system. In school, we are definitely taught the metric system. Since 7th grade, ALL measurements for ANY science class must be in metric, I am sure that this is consistent with most schools in the US. Even with that, I still cannot relate 300m to whatever its US customary system equivalent is. With temperature, I am a little better, because I remember that 98.6' = 37'.

Also, for the Britons, about what percentage of the time (in normal, non-scientific, everyday life) do you use the imperial system? I thought that only the US used the imperial system. That's pretty bad, too, as my grandma was born in the UK.
smartlake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #146
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartlake
Also, for the Britons, about what percentage of the time (in normal, non-scientific, everyday life) do you use the imperial system? I thought that only the US used the imperial system. That's pretty bad, too, as my grandma was born in the UK.
Most of the time. Its worse than the US too. They weigh themselves in stone, but luckily avoid slugs.

Of course, Im sure you grandmother will be able to recite the old money system, which was also not decimal based. Some things take time, unless the government wants to go as far as to ban the mention of the imperial system in media and so on. Obviously, theres no real need to do so.

Nobody is being hurt because theyre using the imperial system in daily life. Pounds, farenheight, inches, its fine. The problem comes when you need it for industry or science, when inches just arent convenient and you need something smaller or bigger.
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #147
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5227

i have never seen a single sign in metric system..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #148
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tico View Post
I'm a proud Central American who uses the metric system, but I'm cool with the imperial one, cause part of my family is from the U.S. I guess you get used to the system you grow up with, whether it's metric (honestly the best), imperial, measuring with a rock or a stick, ...

But if either the metric or the imperial system had to take over the world, it would definitely be the....metric one!
But everyone should feel free to use the system they personally are OK with.
In Nicaragua they still using the imperial system, i heard that the nicaraguan government wanted to switch to the metric system but people got confuse so they preffer the imperial system.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #149
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
i have never seen a single sign in metric system..
Interestingly, there are metric distance signs on the 580 between the 880 and the 680 in California, I have no idea for what reasons, but the "distance to city" signs have mileages in miles and kilometers

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #150
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Interestingly, there are metric distance signs on the 580 between the 880 and the 680 in California, I have no idea for what reasons, but the "distance to city" signs have mileages in miles and kilometers
i havent seen it yet.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #151
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Here are some examples of signs that use both metric and English measurements in Maine and New Hampshire...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #152
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Man its just hte stupid old people holding the US back from joining the rest of the world. Most of my cousins in the US have no problem understanding metric since you can't do science without metric and hence they are quite proficient with it. And also, all you people saying its the US's business whether they switch to metric or not, you really need to go learn how this world works. Since the US uses imperial, students all over the world taking engineering are also forced to learn imperial in order to take out the risk of not understanding a measurement if something comes from the US. And learning to use such an illogical system where they basically just came up with random numbers for moving between units is very annoying.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #153
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I don't make a big deal out of it. I was born and raised in a country that adopted metric system some 80 years ago, so I think in metres, kilogrammes, litres, etc. After coming to the US, I found out that I would be perfectly fine staying metric since all the products sold in stores have metric units, and at home we always measure everything in metric system. Besides, I replaced my Imperial speedometer with the one that measures only in metric, so no matter where I drive, my speed is always in km/h
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #154
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
In Nicaragua they still using the imperial system, i heard that the nicaraguan government wanted to switch to the metric system but people got confuse so they preffer the imperial system.
Dude, are you really from Nicaragua? Because you know... Nicaragua has been metric for about 100 years! All the signs there are posted in metric units:

Old March 5th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #155
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Same for me, I've lived in both places, and I can readily interchange the two systems (weight, length, volume)... all you really have to remember is 1 mi = 1.6 km, 1 kg = 2.2 lb, 1 gal = 3.9 L, 1 in = 2.54 cm, and that's pretty much it, I guess I can do mental calculations for rough estimates pretty well.

Old March 5th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #156
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Delaware uses metric "mile markers" on Route 1, the expressway going from the Wilmington/Newark are to Dover. President CLinton decided to use Route 1 as one of the test sites into using the metric system on roads back in the mid 1990's, when Route 1 was built. Exits are not numbered in increments or by mileage, but by kilometers. I believe that distances were also in kilometers ("SMYRNA 5 KM", for example), but those were switched to miles if they were.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #157
Alex Von Königsberg

Gladisimo
Being comfortbale with both systems is understandable, but do you think in metric or customary units? For instance, when someone says "50 metres", would you immdeiately know how far it is? Same for 150 feet? As for me, I still need 1-2 seconds to convert from feet to metres in order to understand what length it is.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #158
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Interesting notion, I suppose for me, it depends on the context of what is being measured. For example, for volumes, I often think in gallons for fuel, rather than liters, but for most other things (mostly for drinks and engine displacement, I'm used to thinking in liters and milliliters. For lengths, I'm almost indifferent in terms of height, (I'm both 5'10" and 178 cm) and for distance I'm more used to miles and inches, while for weight, I'm more used to pounds.

I suppose this is a result of the context of daily life I'm exposed to, since drinks usually come in 500mL or 2 L bottles, whereas distances are measured in miles, and height in feet and inches, while weight around here are usually in pounds.

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #159
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Dude, are you really from Nicaragua? Because you know... Nicaragua has been metric for about 100 years! All the signs there are posted in metric units:

but they use pounds haha

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #160
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

I've never had a problem alternating, I have to use the metric system extensively in science.

The reason why not much people support going metric is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the reason. People don't want to change to a new system that is different than the one that they learned when they were little. It will take years for the transition, if it ever happens, to be successful.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote