daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Heritage Buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #61
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinthus
I only remember it looked like the old Holland Village hawker centre which has also completed upgrading recently.
apparently the food centre is a new building, designed to look like its older neighbours
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:51 AM   #62
yellow submarine

Likes (Received): 0

looking from behind

hi all, i rent a unit in a yellow block along the same row as sunny low dance studio on outram road. my back door, where the winding fire escape stairs is, oversees the future boutique hotel@tiong bahru of block 53 (hope i got the block no. right).

the corner of block 53 used to be a bird arena where the uncles hang their bird cages every day and gets especially crowded on the weekends, both a social space for the birdies and their owners. these uncles hung around even after the government had evicted the residents in those blocks as early as 2000; check out an old 'Jiao Dian' (Focus) Ch 8 documentary where Tiong Bahru residents were featured especially those who owned the shops on ground level of block 53, i remember the auntie hair salon, Heng Heng Seafood Restaurant, etc.

it saddens me that another historical establishment will be turned into a commercial entity. one of my ambitions, whenever i take a smoke at my stairs overlooking block 53, is to start an internet cafe/ beer garden/ laundromat at block 53 when the backpacker lodge comes up, as it will be so convenient for me to walk home to my apartment after i close shop. well, guess that dream will never materialise.

till then, i shall enjoy the construction site that is ongoing since Nov 05 and monitor its progress. been trying to capture some picts on my mobile phone, will try to share after i managed to find a way to download my phone picts, am not very tech-savvy.

till then.
yellow submarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM   #63
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 26

Hello!

Hope to see you more often here!

Is the dance studio of Sunny Los still in operation?
It's a strange little building stuck between some row buildings.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #64
RafflesCity
By Spirit

To market, to market

18 Jun 06

The new $16.8-m Tiong Bahru market will whet your appetite. Bright and airy, it houses two levels of hawker and market stalls and a rooftop carpark

IF YOU are one who has misgivings about how some of Singapore's most iconic hawker centres have been given unsentimental makeovers, step inside the new Tiong Bahru market and you might just drop all your grouses.

Opened two weeks ago after a two-year, $16.8-million revamp, the three-storey complex is nothing short of awe-inspiring.

All of its former 340 stalls are now slotted neatly onto two floors, linked by swanky lifts and escalators.

The first floor houses more than 250 wet market and retail stalls, selling everything from clothes and flowers to fresh produce.

The second floor holds 83 hawker stalls, lofty ceilings and airy walkways so wide that you will no longer jab your elbows into anyone's ribs during jam-packed chow hours.

The building is capped by a roof-top carpark, whose 120 lots are much needed in the traffic-choked area.

Outlined like a triangle, it also has a large airwell which allows sunlight to flood the different levels.

Before the revamp, the 50-year-old Tiong Bahru market was as famous for its chwee kueh and pau as it was for its grimy, one-storey ramshackle premises.

'It was the stuffiest place in Singapore,' recalls Mr Koh Kee Teo, 69, who owns the famous pig organ soup stall.

'Everybody bought food for takeaway because there were so few seats and so uncomfortable,' he adds.

Now, there is no reason visitors would not want to dine in.

There are 1,440 seats at the new hawker centre, almost three times more than before.

There are also alfresco dining seats with resort-like umbrellas providing shelter.

Great pains were taken to ensure that the building's architecture blends into the surrounding Tiong Bahru conservation area, says Mr Lee Soo Khoong, vice-president of design firm CPG Consultants.

'The design drew inspiration from the Art Deco architecture of the nearby flats, by employing concrete ledges, rounded corner treatments and circular columns,' he says.

It is one of 51 centres that have been revamped as part of the Government's $420-million move to upgrade all 109 markets and hawker centres here.

During the renovation, most of Tiong Bahru market stalls continued business at a temporary site at nearby Kim Pong Road.

Except for one lor mee stall, all of the stalls have returned to the permanent site.

They include the famous chwee kueh, pig organ soup, pau, Teochew kueh, lor mee and ming jiang kueh stalls.

Best of all, prices have remained the same. Many of dishes remain affordable at $2 per plate.

Long-time regular Lim Cheng Hock, 77, was pleased with what he saw when he checked out the place for the first time last week.

'Tiong Bahru market has the best and cheapest food in Singapore,' the retiree declares.

Housewife Tan Gek Kee, 52, who has frequented the centre since she was eight years old, says the new centre is a vast improvement from before.

'It's brighter and cleaner,' she says. 'Gives you a better appetite.'

tpaulin@sph.com.sg

Here is a pic by teh

Old June 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #65
route16

Does anyone seen pictures of the old Tiong Bahru market online?
route16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #66
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

nope.

------------------
Pre-war Flats turned Boutique Hotel => http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...0&postcount=48

Works in Progress

Old July 9th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #67
redstone
Lurker

FINALLY!!!!

Only preserving the facade?
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #68
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Its shocking to see it gutted like that!

But I'm still glad they're attempting to keep the streetscape facade preserved.

I suppose the old layout was not suitable for what theyre developing
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #69
redstone
Lurker

Can leh.... It's apartments...
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #70
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Its the developer's choice and $$$
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #71
redstone
Lurker

Look at what they did to Fullerton, only preserving the shell.

In other countries, the establishment is themed to fit the historic building, not the other way round.

Last edited by redstone; July 9th, 2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #72
shao_ye

very disappointing to see this happenning... just looking like another cathy...

if they are doing this, why not just tear all down and rebuilt it? the facade doesnt seem any too complicated... this is just so disappointing...
shao_ye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #73
RafflesCity
By Spirit

wonder what colour they'll use for the facade...probably something bright, cheery and happy
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #74
redstone
Lurker

Maybe 1950s or art deco themed.
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #75
icemann

hey there.. anyone here stays at the old pre-wars .....
icemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #76
route16

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann
hey there.. anyone here stays at the old pre-wars .....
Yes, me! Blk 81.

By the way, interesting article in ST today, see below

-------------------------------------------------------------------

July 14, 2006
Celebrating the gems in Tiong Bahru, my home

AFTER five years of working in the conservation division of the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA), executive architect Kelvin Ang has grown accustomed to being accused of being ignorant or plain callous about the city's heritage.

'Building owners and private-sector architects come up to us and complain that we don't care, or they question why we are not conserving this or that district or building - just because they see us as government people.'

They could not be more wrong about Mr Ang, however. The 34-year-old lives in a conserved pre-World War II flat in Tiong Bahru. At work, he also lives and breathes heritage, researching buildings and districts for their architectural rarity, and importance to the social history and identity of their locality.

In his spare time, he writes articles on heritage for magazines and records the stories of old residents of conserved areas like his own Tiong Bahru estate.

Now, he is rallying newer residents of the 1930s Art Deco-style blocks to run a newsletter and heritage tour of the housing estate.

In the past few months, about 12 of them have had meetings in his flat and things should get off the ground by later this year, says Mr Ang.

They have also been talking to older and some former residents, who are also keen to get involved, he adds.

Mr Ang's own favourite spots will certainly be on the walking tour: the Tiong Bahru market, which was reopened last month after a $16.8 million facelift, and the famed bird corner which is slated to be reinstated after closing in 2000 for redevelopment.

He also hopes to find volunteers to record the oral histories of older residents in the area, because a place is characterised by its community, he says. As a child, he lived in Queensway but made regular visits to his mother's old home in Chinatown.

This architect believes in looking beyond the bricks and mortar, to celebrate 'everyday culture' - the life in the wet markets and community spaces, and of local festivals.

'I get upset when people say there is nothing to see or do in Singapore. We are so blase about our environment, but there is so much diverse culture and history,' says Mr Ang, who spent six years studying architecture in London.

It is the emotional attachment to a place that increasingly mobile Singaporeans need to feel, he notes.

'One can't love a city in the abstract. It's about where you grew up, where you went to school... It's important that we are still able to see it, touch it.'

Putting on his conservation architect hat, Mr Ang sees no conflict between conservation and progress. 'We've always managed to have the best of both or many worlds here.'

That conservation issues stir much debate here is a good thing, he says, as he recalls the uproar over the restoration of Chinatown and the demolition of the old red-brick National Library building in Stamford Road.

'The debate is over how to do conservation, not whether we should do it at all. When people make noise, it means they care.'
route16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #77
redstone
Lurker

KELVIN ANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #78
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Thats him?

ok..well I think he's very much at the heart of URA's conservation work...cos I see his name almost everywhere on things regarding conservation

I think Tiong Bahru estate is lovely
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #79
redstone
Lurker

That's HIM!!!
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #80
icemann

58 here

hey , cool nice to see fellow neighbours in here...anyone else... im at 58..
and yeah, kel's really into conservation, he breathes and lives that...and he the man who introduced this quaint little town to me.
icemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote