daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #341

Likes (Received): 1035

It was just anounced that arriva in cooperation with Brussel airport will start a international connection between The Hague and Brussel South via the old benelux line as an anwser on the failing fyra. The train will stop in The Hague , Delft , Rotterdam ,Dordrecht, Roosendaal, Antwerpen, Mechelen, Brussel Central en Brussel South.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #342
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Strange. It won't halt at Brussels Airport? I wonder why they are cooperating with that train then... Unless they see a good margin of profit in it, of course.
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #343
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It will stop at Brussels Airport.
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #344
Glodenox

Ah indeed, it seems that news article forgot to add Brussels Airport as one of the stops. That explains a lot.
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:14 PM   #345
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
The North station will probably never be used as a terminus station (seeing we've got Schaarbeek for such connections), so that problem should never arise.

I hope so, but this is not entirely certain. The current traffic patterns show that
trains coming from the South go all the way to Brussels North, and if they
terminate, do so at Sacherbeek, which is fine. Conversely, train coming from
the north go all the way to Bruxelles Midi and possibly terminate there. But if
saturation gets worse in the North-South link, it is very well possible that some
trains won't enter it anymore. In that case, some trains coming from the
South will terminate in Brussels Midi, but where will terminate those coming
from the north ? Bruxelles Nord does not have enough track space, and
Schaerbeek is too far from the city center, and does not have good enough
public transport connections.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 01:21 AM   #346
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

What about the site of Bruxelles-Chapele? Could it be converted into a terminal for trains coming from the North?
Old June 22nd, 2013, 02:33 AM   #347
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I can't find any info on the KMYCA track in some Antwerp parkland. Any gives?

Frankly, I'd appreciate any news of model ROWs set up in parks for visitors' play (usage).
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 02:48 AM   #348
Glodenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
I hope so, but this is not entirely certain. The current traffic patterns show that trains coming from the South go all the way to Brussels North, and if they terminate, do so at Sacherbeek, which is fine. Conversely, train coming from the north go all the way to Bruxelles Midi and possibly terminate there. But if saturation gets worse in the North-South link, it is very well possible that some trains won't enter it anymore. In that case, some trains coming from the South will terminate in Brussels Midi, but where will terminate those coming from the north ? Bruxelles Nord does not have enough track space, and Schaerbeek is too far from the city center, and does not have good enough public transport connections.
Completely true, but an alternative would be to have some connections no longer go through the tunnel and to have some trains from the north terminate at Schaarbeek and some trains from the south terminate at the South station. From those stations, there should be plenty of connections to continue further through the tunnel if people need to.

In the most extreme case, no trains would go through the tunnel, but several shuttle trains connect the two stations with a frequency of 4 minutes in between or so and no real timetable. This doesn't seem possible to me in a decent fashion with the current infrastructure though. And considering that people don't like to change trains, it doesn't seem like a desirable solution either.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:09 AM   #349
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What about the site of Bruxelles-Chapele? Could it be converted into a terminal for trains coming from the North?
No. There aren't even any crossovers, and installing some there would actually reduce the capacity of the north-south connection...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM   #350
K_

Quote:
Completely true, but an alternative would be to have some connections no longer go through the tunnel and to have some trains from the north terminate at Schaarbeek and some trains from the south terminate at the South station.
There have been plans put forward to build a second international terminal in Schaarbeek. However, I think the airport would be a better choice.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:13 AM   #351
K_

Quote:
In the most extreme case, no trains would go through the tunnel, but several shuttle trains connect the two stations with a frequency of 4 minutes in between or so and no real timetable. This doesn't seem possible to me in a decent fashion with the current infrastructure though. And considering that people don't like to change trains, it doesn't seem like a desirable solution either.
You can run trains every 2 minutes on a double track railway line, so shuttle trains every 4 minutes should not pose a big challenge. The North-South connection has six tracks. The problem is the stops at Brussel Centraal. If one were to run all trains from North to South non stop the number of trains could be increased substantially.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:16 PM   #352
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
...and to have some trains from the north terminate at Schaarbeek...
Won't work. Schaerbeek is too far from the city centre for walking and not
served by the metro network (just surface trams and buses) so for trains
terminating there, there would be no practical solution to let passengers
terminate their journey.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #353
Glodenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Won't work. Schaerbeek is too far from the city centre for walking and not
served by the metro network (just surface trams and buses) so for trains
terminating there, there would be no practical solution to let passengers
terminate their journey.
That doesn't matter as they don't HAVE to terminate their journey there. The way that such a plan would work, more trains would terminate at Schaarbeek and they'd all have to change to another (new) train in Schaarbeek that will take them further. End result: less trains through the tunnel, but more disgruntled people considering they've got to change trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
You can run trains every 2 minutes on a double track railway line, so shuttle trains every 4 minutes should not pose a big challenge. The North-South connection has six tracks. The problem is the stops at Brussel Centraal. If one were to run all trains from North to South non stop the number of trains could be increased substantially.
Indeed, but Brussels Central Station is such a handy station considering it's really in the middle of Brussels. If it were cheap to make a tunnel, they could even choose to completely ignore the Central station, but I seem to recall that the government of Brussels was against that. Politicians acting as if they are engineers, that can never be a good thing...
Old June 23rd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #354
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Cabin ride. Thalys Rotterdam-Antwerp. 30min trip in real speed (300km/h)
I takes 8 min to leave the Rotterdam area and then speeding up...
Belgian border around 16min in the video

Last edited by joshsam; June 23rd, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:20 PM   #355
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Northern Belgium. Mol-Hasselt. Diesel engine ride through one of the least populated area's in Flanders. The area has no overhead lines untill Hasselt. It's sped up, enjoy.

Last edited by joshsam; June 23rd, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM   #356
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Took this train last february, as it's a quick way to travel from Antwerps to Eindhoven if you have a pick up in Mol/Lommel! Connecting the line to Eindhoven would be a very good plan!
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #357
Scorpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Yeah, we all know the "renovated" Brussels Central station:

Use of all sorts of materials, black walls, power lines on the ceiling,... The only good thing about the so-called "renovation" of Brussels Central is the floor with the shops. The platform level is still awful.

The Brussels trainstations are a national disgrace.
Let's not forget that Brussels Central Station is protected. Not everythig can be changed and refurbishment needs to be done in the spirit of the original design. Yes, there have been made some strange choices (black walls ?!), but some elements will stay there forever (like the dull and beige marble).

As for Noth, I really like the design of the platforms and the central hall (where the old ticket booths are). It just needs a good cleaning and better lighting. The things that bothers me the most about North, is the CCN glued in front of it .

As for South: kill it with fire!
Scorpy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #358
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

When will SNCB get into late 20th century and start selling tickets on automated machines on a large scale?

Will it have to wait all ticket booth staff retire?
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #359
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
When will SNCB get into late 20th century and start selling tickets on automated machines on a large scale?
When AnsaldoBreda has delivered all V250's in perfect working order, ready for a 30 year life-span.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #360
Glodenox

Quote:
They're actually installing them on all stations as we speak. All stations are going to have at least one of them and anyone without a ticket on a train will be fined straight away, unless the machine wasn't working at that moment (the ticket inspectors will be able to check that on their tablet).

Nowadays, people often board the train without a ticket and buy it on the train when they are checked. But if they aren't checked, they just travel for free.

EDIT: for example, here is the current status of the ticket machine installation at my local station:

Everything is ready, it's just waiting for the machine now, if I'm not mistaken. And this is what they look like when they have been installed (note that this is an old picture of when they weren't working yet, the screen layout has changed considerably):

Last edited by Glodenox; June 25th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
belgium, liège, tgv