daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 28th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #561
MarcVD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 192

The two last of the 305 Desiro EMUs ordered by SNCB have been delivered
on March 19th. Hauled till Aachen, the power on the catenary is then switched
to 3 kV and from there, they continue to Belgium under their own power.

Pictures here : http://www.wallorail.be/index.php/ma...via-aachen-hbf
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #562
the Ludovico center
Je Maintiendrai
 
the Ludovico center's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 4 kilo
Posts: 746
Likes (Received): 394

I find it wasteful that Schuman AND Luxembourg are both major IC stations. I mean they are literally one bus stop away from each other. This makes no sense. It would have made theoretical sense if BOTH stations had unique services that the other station wasn't capable of delivering. But that's not the case (every train that stops at one station stops at the other)
.
__________________

Tyger-Wyger liked this post

Last edited by the Ludovico center; March 29th, 2015 at 12:54 AM.
the Ludovico center no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:29 AM   #563
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande
 
TedStriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 2,517
Likes (Received): 385

SNCB Logistics Part-Privatised

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...rivatised.html
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:50 AM   #564
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,158
Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ludovico center View Post
I find it wasteful that Schuman AND Luxembourg are both major IC stations. I mean they are literally one bus stop away from each other. This makes no sense.
Obviously both station have enough travellers to make both stations viable.
The way you put it there are plenty of good reasons to build a new station at say Rue Belliard and demolish both old stations.
__________________
Public transport: Mode of transport that takes to much time to take you from the place you're not currently located, to the place you didn't want to go to, at a time that doesn't really suit you.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 10:35 AM   #565
MarcVD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 192

It is much less obvious than that.
It's true that the two stations are very (too) close together. However, at some place it
is needed to have some additional tracks to keep trains waiting for a connection. That
can only be done in Brussels-Luxemburg, it's the only place where such tracks could
be installed. And it is also needed to have a connection with the metro network, and
this is at Schuman, I do not see how the metro line could be moved. I do not see any
serious alternative to get out of this situation.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:31 PM   #566
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
It is much less obvious than that.
It's true that the two stations are very (too) close together. However, at some place it
is needed to have some additional tracks to keep trains waiting for a connection. That
can only be done in Brussels-Luxemburg, it's the only place where such tracks could
be installed. And it is also needed to have a connection with the metro network, and
this is at Schuman, I do not see how the metro line could be moved. I do not see any
serious alternative to get out of this situation.
There was actually plan to do just that: Move the metro lines, so that Luxemburg would become a hub. In this plan it would be feasible to have the ICs indeed skip Schuman.



How ever at the moment it seems that the next metro expansion in Brussels will be to the North...
__________________

dimlys1994 liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #567
MarcVD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 192

A plan ? No, just a proposal, like dozens regularly flourish on this kind of
subject. It has never been discussed seriously. The belgian Financial situation
does not allow to afford that kind of things. Just look at the north extension,
we speak about something like 10 years just to dig a tunnel less than 5 km...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #568
the Ludovico center
Je Maintiendrai
 
the Ludovico center's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 4 kilo
Posts: 746
Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
It is much less obvious than that.
It's true that the two stations are very (too) close together. However, at some place it
is needed to have some additional tracks to keep trains waiting for a connection. That
can only be done in Brussels-Luxemburg, it's the only place where such tracks could

be installed. And it is also needed to have a connection with the metro network, and
this is at Schuman, I do not see how the metro line could be moved. I do not see any
serious alternative to get out of this situation.
Those tracks are all new (installed during the never-ending renovation of that station that lasted between 1992 or 93 and 2009)

My point is that they should have expanded Schuman in the first place (rather than Luxembourg) but they were driven by ego and prestige so Luxembourg got priority above Schuman purely because it was the older station with longer history.
the Ludovico center no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #569
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
A plan ? No, just a proposal, like dozens regularly flourish on this kind of
subject. It has never been discussed seriously. The belgian Financial situation
does not allow to afford that kind of things. Just look at the north extension,
we speak about something like 10 years just to dig a tunnel less than 5 km...
It was mentioned like that in a document by the MIVB itself, outlining their strategy for the future. But yes, the plans change all the time, and efficient investment in public transport isn't really a Belgian thing...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #570
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ludovico center View Post
Those tracks are all new (installed during the never-ending renovation of that station that lasted between 1992 or 93 and 2009)
The tracks are new, but they are a replacement of already existing tracks. Brussel Luxemburg was always a major station.

Quote:
My point is that they should have expanded Schuman in the first place (rather than Luxembourg)
That would not have been possible.

Quote:
but they were driven by ego and prestige so Luxembourg got priority above Schuman purely because it was the older station with longer history.
No, they were driven by practicality. Having a commuter train (because that is what all trains in Belgium are ) stop at multiple major places of employment is proper.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #571
the Ludovico center
Je Maintiendrai
 
the Ludovico center's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 4 kilo
Posts: 746
Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
No, they were driven by practicality. Having a commuter train (because that is what all trains in Belgium are ) stop at multiple major places of employment is proper.
You are not following the discussion.

The problem is not that there are two stations - that's ok, many places in the world exist with stations in close proximity (including elsewhere in Brussels itself)

What I find inexplicable is the fact that BOTH stations have now been upgraded to important IC-status whereby basically every train that passes thru them must call at both places. This is a waste.

What should have happened is that only one of the two stations (logically Schuman) should have been upgraded to main/IC status and the other one turned into a lower status feeder station served mostly by local/L trains.
the Ludovico center no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #572
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ludovico center View Post
You are not following the discussion. The probleWhat I find inexplicable is the fact that BOTH stations have now been upgraded to important IC-status whereby basically every train that passes thru them must call at both places.
Both stations have always been IC stations. This is not something new. Furthermore don't attach to much significance to the IC label. An IC in Belgium is comparable to a Regioexpress in Germany or a "regionale veloce" in Italy.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #573
the Ludovico center
Je Maintiendrai
 
the Ludovico center's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 4 kilo
Posts: 746
Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Furthermore don't attach to much significance to the IC label.
You're right.

Nowadays IC trains (esp on weekends) are almost as slow as L trains.

It now takes almost an hour to go from Antwerp to Brussels with an IC, thanks to additional stops in formerly non-IC statons



Last edited by the Ludovico center; April 6th, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
the Ludovico center no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #574
AlexNL
Registered User
 
AlexNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,629
Likes (Received): 537

The layout of that screen is absolutely horrible. They've crammed so much nonsense in that screen that they're forced to use abbreviatons for station names, and even that they do it in such a way that it is almost unusable.

M-Oude God? Mech Nekk? Seriously? Even a 5-year old can think of a better layout for this screen, this is just pathetic.
__________________
We are shaping the future
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #575
MarcVD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The layout of that screen is absolutely horrible. They've crammed so much nonsense in that screen that they're forced to use abbreviatons for station names, and even that they do it in such a way that it is almost unusable.

M-Oude God? Mech Nekk? Seriously? Even a 5-year old can think of a better layout for this screen, this is just pathetic.
Yes I also remarked that. Apparently, there are other displays (in the front
of the train, etc) where they could not manage to display the whole station
name, so rather than having two names for each station, they displayed the
shortened name everywhere, even where there is enough space for the full
one. Pathetic indeed. But this is just one example of SNCB wasting
excellent resources by using them in a totally unadequate way. There
are many others unfortunately.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #576
MarcVD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ludovico center View Post
It now takes almost an hour to go from Antwerp to Brussels with an IC, thanks to additional stops in formerly non-IC statons
That IC train is in fact the old IR one, the train to use if you want some
speed (and comfort too, as this one is made with a Desiro, not adapted
at all for IC missions) is the Benelux.

One more fact to prove that SNCB is only interested in the commuter traffic
and nothing else.
__________________

kbbcn liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #577
Glodenox
Registered User
 
Glodenox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zemst, BE
Posts: 1,794
Likes (Received): 655

About the displays: indeed, they have a horrible lay-out.
I remember that someone had already proposed an alternative lay-out on another forum: http://hgbtf.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t...204156#p204156 (Dutch)

As for the IC: ever since all IR have changed to either the L or IC label, the IC label has become much less meaningful on several connections.
__________________
Copyright remains mine for all images I post that are hosted at tomputtemans.com, unless captioned otherwise.
Glodenox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #578
MarcVD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
As for the IC: ever since all IR have changed to either the L or IC label, the IC label has become much less meaningful on several connections.
Indeed. Two thirds of the belgian ICs are not ICs, even on the belgian country
scale. And even with two labels only, they still manage to have ICs trains that
stop at more stations than L trains on the same line.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #579
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,158
Likes (Received): 274

Same thing as NS did in the Netherlands, eliminate the 'sneltrein' and renaming most of them to Intercity.
In both cases: Why did they do that?
__________________
Public transport: Mode of transport that takes to much time to take you from the place you're not currently located, to the place you didn't want to go to, at a time that doesn't really suit you.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #580
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3714

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rank Belgian railways?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
belgium, liège, tgv

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium