daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #621
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger-Wyger View Post
Today's Classes 18 and 19 don't seem to be able to operate with full power in Holland nor are they equipped with Dutch signaling to my knowledge.
SNCB Class 18 can run under 1.5 kV, they have specifically been ordered for that. They lack Dutch signalling but will be equipped with ERTMS, which will also be rolled out on the Dutch network in the years to come.

So, theoretically, in a few years from now it is possible to see an HLE 18 pulling the Beneluxtrein.

mrsmartman liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2016, 01:48 PM   #622
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The currently plans envision ERTMS L2 on the conventional tracks in the Randstad at around 2028, so that will be a while. And delays are not uncommon with such major projects, given that the ministry of transport is looking for ways to reduce the cost of the ERTMS roll out.
Old April 6th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #623
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

As far as I known, HLE 18 can technically run under 1.5 kV indeed, but it has never been
validated, and as far as I know there are no plans to do it. I do not think they were
ordered with that specific feature, but rather that it comes as a free option because of
the way the loco is engineered.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #624
Dorfmeister

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
As far as I known, HLE 18 can technically run under 1.5 kV indeed, but it has never been
validated, and as far as I know there are no plans to do it. I do not think they were
ordered with that specific feature, but rather that it comes as a free option because of
the way the loco is engineered.
HLE18/19 can indeed run under 1,5Kv DC but with limited power (aroung 2,6Kw available) and they aren't fitted with ATB which is manadatory for new trains to run in Netherlands.

So with no ETCS and no ATB installed; you can forget - for the time being - seeing a HLE18/19 in the Netherlands.
Dorfmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #625
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Wasn't it the intention to have a 3 kV DC/25 kV AC capable subseries of the NS ICNG in the future, so it could be used both on the HSL and for the Benelux service?
Old April 8th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #626
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Wasn't it the intention to have a 3 kV DC/25 kV AC capable subseries of the NS ICNG in the future, so it could be used both on the HSL and for the Benelux service?
That would make sense... and could explain why NS doesn't want to invest
money in TRAXX-compatible driving cabs. When are those ICNG supposed to
show up ? Any idea of the chosen design already ?
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #627
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

First delivery is scheduled for 2020, first use in service for 2021.
They're at the very start of the tender process. Besides this information the only other publicly available information is that Siemens, Alstom, Bombardier and Stadler have shown interest to build these trains.
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #628
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Have the attacks on Zaventem airport damaged the train station and/or the tunnels leading to it?
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #629
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

Likes (Received): 2320

No, they haven't.
Old April 9th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #630
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

NS has invested quite a lot of money in their existing ICR BDs driving coaches to have them work with the Traxx locomotives, but they set a hard deadline for when the interface should be stable enough. As this deadline was not met, the project has been abandoned altogether.

A "Belgium capable" version of ICNG is envisaged as a potential follow-on order, the first batch of trains (which will enter service in 2021) will only be equipped for running in the Netherlands.

The 1.5 kV capabilities of HLE 18/19 were a deliberate choice by SNCB, as they want to be able to use the locomotives to haul trains just across the border (e.g. to Maastricht). If SNCB did not want this, they wouldn't have ordered the locos with this configuration. To compare: the MS08 (Desiro ML) has not been equipped for 1.5 kV operation, as a result of this the trains simply shut down when detecting 1.5 kV.
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #631
MarcVD

As do any other 3kv equipment. RTN (relais de tension nulle) will detect insufficient tension and shut the train down. But there is a switch to bypass this for when trains go to NS stations like Rosendaal or Maastricht. As other equipment for stop trains (AM66 to 73 or 75) will be phased out, desiro AMs must be able to do that too.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old April 11th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #632
nathanmarcus

Likes (Received): 13

Latest News First passenger trains begin service on new Brussels railway tunnel

Belgian rail engineering firm TUC Rail has announced the start of first passenger trains through the new Schuman-Josaphat railway tunnel in Brussels.

TUC RAIL has worked on the construction project since 2008, and the engineering and project management office carried out the studies, management and follow-up for the scheme. Under the project, approximately 100 security cameras, a fire detection system and new emergency exits have been installed at the station.
nathanmarcus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #633
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmarcus View Post
Latest News First passenger trains begin service on new Brussels railway tunnel
It started two weeks ago already. On a very limited mode because it was
school holidays, and because of the limitations caused by the security
measures following the terrorist attacks.

Now we have the normal configuration, with two hourly IC trains, two S trains,
and two other S trains only during peak times. So 4 to 6 trains per hour per
direction.

I will give it a try next Thursday.
Old June 6th, 2016, 05:36 AM   #634
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Three people were killed and about 40 others were injured as a result of a train collision in Belgium.

Belgian media are reporting that three people were killed and about 40 others were injured as a result of a train collision.

According to RTBF state broadcasting, a passenger train struck a freight train in eastern Liege province in Hermalle-sous-Huy.

Belgian media quoted the Mayor of the commune of Saint-Georges-sur-Meuse, Francis Dejon, as saying the collision had been "very violent".

The mayor said three people were killed and about 40 had been hurt, but added that those numbers could change.

Survivors were taken to a local sports centre, where they were being offered psychological counselling.

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters."

WTF?
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #635
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuZealand View Post
"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters."

WTF?
A quote probably doesn't count for message length. So a message containing only a quote without any additional text is zero characters long.

On topic: Wow, that's third major accident since 2010, two of which have been train collisions caused by trains getting on the wrong tracks.
I'm very interested in the cause, once they identify it. Except for coupling/decoupling at low speeds two trains on the same track just shouldn't be possible.
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:46 AM   #636
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
A quote probably doesn't count for message length. So a message containing only a quote without any additional text is zero characters long.

On topic: Wow, that's third major accident since 2010, two of which have been train collisions caused by trains getting on the wrong tracks.
I'm very interested in the cause, once they identify it. Except for coupling/decoupling at low speeds two trains on the same track just shouldn't be possible.
Ok, I'll tell what I know, but very little is available for the moment.
A freight train was standing still on the main line, waiting for a signal to open.
This train was quite heavy, carrying quarry products.
A passenger train, IC Mouscron-Tournai-Mons-Charleroi-Namur-Liège-Liers, hit
that freight train from the rear. Track speed at that place is 120 km/h (it's a
valley line, following the Meuse river, quite curvy) and the apparent speed of
collision is around 90 km/h. A that speed against a train carrying stone, it's
like hitting a wall, large damages are unavoidable...
Train composition is 2 x AM96 (if I have interpreted correctly the very few
available pictures of the scene; but it matches the stock normally used on this
line). As far as I know all this stock is equipped with the new TBL1+ signaling
system.
So it looks like the passenger train entered the section with a clear signal and
braked at the last moment.
Front carriage entirely destroyed, second one a bit less, both tipped over. The
rest of the train apparently remained upright.
3 casualties, among them the train driver...
There was an incident with the signaling system a few hours before the
accident, a lightning hit a cabin with lineside equipment. Traffic was restored
after damages were repaired, but may be signal inspectors missed something.
This is being explored as a possible root cause but no evidence has been found
to support this till now.
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #637
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #638
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

As far as I'm aware, the train is indeed equipped with TBL1+, but that section of track isn't. Only the signs around switches are equipped with TBL1+ as they are a priority to secure, all the other sections seem to still be equipped with just Memor/Crocodile (note: not sure if I can fully trust my source, but it seems reasonable).

As Memor is only an aid to remember the double yellow lights and will not do anything when a train passes red, it could be a driver error. But it could also be a weird signal failure, suicide, sabotage, train detection failure, an uncaught traffic center error, brake failure, ... Long story short: we'll have to await the investigation.
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #639
MarcVD

All SNCB officials + politicians in charge of the railways say that TBL1+ deployment is complete, 99,9% of the network is equipped (the remaining 0,1% will not be equipped).
Therefore I assume that all signals along a line as busy as line 125 would be equipped, even if they are only block signals, and not protecting switches.
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #640
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Hmm, while I suspect the same, I'm not yet completely convinced. On their site they say they've applied TBL1+ to the whole network since the end of 2015, but I'm not sure of what they call 'the whole network'.

For example: Infrabel also mentions 99.9% 'efficiency coverage' on their site (might be an outdated page though), which is not the same as just 'coverage'. I'm not completely sure the efficiency coverage includes block signals. I haven't heard any confirmation that TBL1+ was active at the signal that should have stopped the train, so we'll just have to await the official report for more information (which will take quite a while).

Tags
belgium, liège, tgv