daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #141
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
Presumably cos even the old one seems to be missing tarmac, gridlock and toll booths?

No, because it is a building out of proportion with the foreground, the main platform hall, and couldn't be less common than yet-another-copy of the same station style of which dozens of units were built between 1880-1910 from Charleroi to Leeuwarden.

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:08 AM   #142
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
Not entirely true...

This is the Diabolo project which allows trains from Brussels to travel to Mechelen via Zaventem airport. Lijn 25 will be upgraded to 160 km'h anyway so there is no benefit to use the Diabolo other then serve Brussels airport. Rumour has it that Fyra will use this line and serve both Schiphol and Brussels airport while Thalys will use the upgraded Lijn 25.
This is intended to be used by all Antwerp - Brussel IC and International services, not just those calling at the airport. Apart from being faster this line has the advantage of giving a better insertion in to the whole North-South complex, which means that IC services won't get in the way of local and IR services anymore.

The old fast Brussel - Antwerp line feeds the eastern tracks of the North South connection. The new line feeds in to the western tracks, which means there will be not as many conflicting movements anymore between Thalys and IC services, and locals.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:47 AM   #143
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
Not entirely true...
I fail to see where I made a mistake...

As said by K_, there won't be as many conflicts (and I've seen plenty of those already) that way. Also, not the whole section of L25 can be made 160km/h. Near Vilvoorde and Mechelen, the train will always have to slow down, even after the addition of the bypass of Mechelen in 2014 (that's what the plans currently say), which won't be the case for the new line (it can connect directly to the bypass). So in the end, the new line should be a faster option if you look at the average travel time.

I was also aware of those rumours, but I don't like posting rumours since they're... well... rumours.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:12 AM   #144
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
I was also aware of those rumours, but I don't like posting rumours since they're... well... rumours.
As to those rumours: Thalys will certainly use the new line (which is called 25N btw.). The new line offers a conflict free approach to the HSL terminal in Brussel Zuid. I doubt that Infrabel would even allow Thalys to still use line 25 once 25N is ready...
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #145
Dorfmeister

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Also, not the whole section of L25 can be made 160km/h. Near Vilvoorde and Mechelen, the train will always have to slow down, even after the addition of the bypass of Mechelen in 2014 (that's what the plans currently say)
At the time being, the maximum speed in Vilvoorde is 140 Km/h. I do not think that we'll be needing a lot of works to raise the speed up.

Near Mechelen that could be more tricky indeed; anyway I do believe that the new station combined with a new track laying before and after the station could mean the end of the 100 Km/h restriction in the station. On line 25, of course. Maybe not up to 160 Km/h, but 20 or 40 Km/h can be won.

It is on the books that the new bridges in Duffel will also bring a speed increase to 160 Km/h from Nekkerspoel to Kontich. The whole line is already signalled for such speed.
Dorfmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #146
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Can someone give me a rundown on a report I saw on RTBF's midday news today (via TV5 Monde) about what the network operator plans to do over the next 10 years please?
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #147
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
Can someone give me a rundown on a report I saw on RTBF's midday news today (via TV5 Monde) about what the network operator plans to do over the next 10 years please?
Basically they intend to completely equip the network with ETCS over the next 10 years. Part of the network will see ETCS-LS though (makes sense).
At the moment Infrabel (the network operator) is busy installing TBL1+, which uses ETCS hardware, and is a little bit ahead of schedule here.

The end result is that probably ETCS will become mandatory for anyone operating on the Belgian network from 2025 on.
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:22 AM   #148
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Basically they intend to completely equip the network with ETCS over the next 10 years. Part of the network will see ETCS-LS though (makes sense).
They also work on a plan to replace all existing signalling towers by only 10
signalling centres that will cover the whole country. This is supposed to be
finished by 2020, but I suspect 2022-2025 is a more realistic expectation.

This is not as difficult as it seems, as almost all mechanical signals and cabins have already disappeared. What remains is essentially all-relays interlockings,
which are easily operable remotely. So the interlocking rooms remain in place
where they are, but they become unmanned and remote-controlled.

I visited one of those regional signalling centers a few weeks ago, and the
level of control that they have from there is quite impressive, much more
detailed than from the control board of an all-relay interlocking tower.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM   #149
Suburbanist
on the road

I have a question: what is the next high-speed rail project in Belgium apart from Bruxelles-Antwerpen? Liége-Luxembourg?
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM   #150
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

It's not 'real' high speed, but the NMBS/SNCB is planning to use Pendolino-trains on the Brussels-Luxembourg line, because they run faster through the curves in the Ardennes.

Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM   #151
Suburbanist
on the road

They should build at at least a Bruxelles-Charleroi-Namur HSL system.
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM   #152
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63118

The one thing about high speed rail is that you don't build a full HSR for cities that are like 50 km's apart. You really only build a full new faster line if the traffic demand is big enough and I doubt that's the case in this particular example.

It's also very noticeable that the current lines are very international orientated. They didn't even bother to build a new High Speed Line between the 2 main cities Brussels and Antwerp. Why would they then build a new line in Wallonia? And why then not a HSL to Genth and Brugge (the economic hart of Belgium), either from Brussels or from Antwerp? But now it becomes political side to it, someone has to pay for a new line after all and Wallonia doesn't have the money.... But let's not get into that, it's already a big mess in the real political arena. No need to also bring that into here.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:55 AM   #153
Suburbanist
on the road

The Charleroi-Namur-La Louvière triangle is underserved by new infrastructure. Pretty much everything that exists today already existed in 1980, be it airports, highways, railways.

Anyway, the Bruxelles-Antwerpen like is a critical case. They need a 270km/h line between two cities. In the Netherlands, they built HSL-Zuid between Schiphol and Rotterdam, a distance shorter than Antwerpen-Bruxelles. Then, they could run Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Bruxelles Midi trains that don't stop in Antwerpen, for instance, like they have Bruxelles Midi-Paris Nord trains that don't stop in Lille.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM   #154
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63118

It might be good if you for once look a bit more into the backgrounds of why things. Then you know that as much as the infrastructure of Wallonia needs upgrading it's never happened because infrastructure there is a political minefield. A look into the history of the Charleroi pre metro would be a good start, it's a good example of political decision making in this field going horridly wrong.

And skipping Antwerp is pure nonsense, you can only skip the 2nd biggest city if there's enough traffic for a train from Amsterdam to Antwerp on it's own. And even then the time that can be saved is only very limited and probably not worth it. Even only upgrading the Brussels - Antwerp line with more speed increases and by-passes at Mechelen and Kontich is already much more effective for both international and national services between Antwerp and Brussels.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #155
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

The line straightening in Kontich reached a new milestone by having one line moved over to the straight bridge, and the bypass in Mechelen is coming in the next few years, with preparation works starting next year. Recently, the section between Mechelen and Brussels has become nearly completely 160 km/h as well.

There's no room for a dedicated high-speed line between Brussels and Antwerp. I do believe it should be possible to upgrade the lines further to 200 km/h though.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #156
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
It's also very noticeable that the current lines are very international orientated. They didn't even bother to build a new High Speed Line between the 2 main cities Brussels and Antwerp. Why would they then build a new line in Wallonia? And why then not a HSL to Genth and Brugge (the economic hart of Belgium), either from Brussels or from Antwerp?
Actually in Belgium they did build high speed railway from Brussel to Antwerpen, and from Brussel to Gent in the 30ies. They were quite ahead there.

These lines are still there. The Brussel - Gent line will be good for 200 kph once the works there are finished, and Gent - Brugge will be 200 kph too. That's all the high speed that part of the country needs.

On such short distances increasing the speed beyond 200 kph is not going to give any gains in travel time that cannot be achieved cheaper by better organisation.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:50 PM   #157
Suburbanist
on the road

Recurring issue: the configuration of line essentially prevents any rail service Rotterdam-Bruxelles that doesn't, at least, slow down to 80 km/h for 3 kilometers in Antwerpen.
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #158
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Recurring issue: the configuration of line essentially prevents any rail service Rotterdam-Bruxelles that doesn't, at least, slow down to 80 km/h for 3 kilometers in Antwerpen.
Given that there are probably more people travelling Rotterdam - Antwerpen by train than there are travelling Rotterdam - Brussel by train this is not a real problem.
(There is btw a lot of opposition to the planned high speed services. It appears that those pesky customers prefer flexibility over speed...)
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #159
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
It appears that those pesky customers prefer flexibility over speed.
Customers?!?! Who needs em!
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #160
krulstaartje

Likes (Received): 0

Are there any travel time improvements once the N25 project finishes? For example on Rotterdam - Brussels.
krulstaartje no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
belgium, liège, tgv