daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17828

GENEVA [1] Swiss City Scenes

Geneva is located in the western French-speaking part of Switzerland. It's a small city. You can walk through the key attractions in a few hours. However, it is a very expensive city and oftentimes overlooked by tourists. A McDonald's meal costs 10 Swiss francs and restaurant prices are more astronomical.

Geneva's expensiveness is well documented on many international cost of living surveys. On the other hand, the quality of life is also among the world's best. Perhaps it didn't show too well in the cloudy weather.

Related Thread
Lufthansa Flight Report from Munich to Geneva

1. I did not intentionally want to visit Geneva at first. It was never on my itinerary. However, since I get a free stopover in Europe on my free transatlantic flight, I thought it'd be neat to fly into Geneva to see what French Switzerland was all about. I was a bit more reluctant to visit Zurich since my German was horrible at best.

2. A major reason why I chose Geneva over other cities was because the airport is only 6 minutes from the city by train. In fact, I was already at my hotel within 30 minutes of picking up my baggage at the airport.

6. The waterfront was quiet on this cloudy afternoon. Geneva had noticeably less tourists than Brussels, which isn't very surprising because everything is so expensive. I don't think I can endure a long stay in Switzerland.

7. Jet d'eau

10. Jardin anglais

13. The mountains are clearly visible in the background. France should be somewhere back there.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #2
AJphx

Likes (Received): 9

interesting tour. looks like a nice city
AJphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

BEAUTIFUL HK YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lived in Geneva for 8 years, this is a great comeback. What a beautiful idyllical city it is, wow.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

Cool pics! And the city got much cleaner as it seems (I haven't been there for many years). Do you also have pics from the international neighbourhood?
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17828

The UN area? Unfortunately no. I don't think the UN and Red Cross Museum is open on Sunday, and I got rained out so I flew to Frankfurt early instead.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Phobos

I like a lot that fountain in the lake.It seems a geiser in the middle of water.
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #7
Frog
SSC addict

Likes (Received): 3

great pics! shame about the overhead wires getting in the way of some pics but they seem to be a common feature of swiss cities
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Jakob

Likes (Received): 9440

I'm terribly sorry, but I've never liked Geneva. It isn't charming at all and the people are weird. It can't compete with Zurich! ,)
Jakob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #9
sts

Likes (Received): 23

Nice,but I thought it looks better!
sts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #10
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

Geneva is much more French than "Swiss" as people imagine it. But the same goes for Lugano - that's the think I like about my country: so different landscapes, cultures and cities on small space. When I was young I thought Geneva is the greatest city in the country. But having been there several times I think it's too expensive, a bit dull and snobbish. Not a city to live in... I heard from a lot of people (especially foreigners) that the Romandie is generally less attractive and boring to live in and not at all compareable to Zurich or Basel. But I can't judge it neutrally. Lausanne makes a very nice and open impression to me although the people there think it is only a small town and the center is ultimatly Geneva.

Can Lausanne give more infos about it, if he's participating in this forum?
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #11
Koweitien

Likes (Received): 0

I know that this post is extremely overdue but I just saw it. I visit Lausanne every summer, so I will try to tell you about the city. The city as you might well know is on the north shore of Lake Geneva (Lac Leman). It is situated on a hill/mountain and therefore has very steep roads (so much like San Francisco). The city is divided into many sections two of which are the city centre (centre ville) and ouchy (pronounced oushy). Ouchy is located on the lake border and is quite flat and is relatively quiet compared to the city centre. In Ouchy you will find mainly big hotels (such as Mövenpick Hotel) bordering the lake
You can get to the city centre from ouchy by foot (but that is quite hard as the roads are very steep); by car or by the metro.
The city centre on the other hand is very entertaining as it has a lot of shops, restaurants, cinemas e.t.c. The view of the lake from the city centre is quite fabulous.
In My Opinion I find Geneva and Bern much more interesting than Lausanne that is because I find Lausanne to be much more quiet than either of those cities.
Koweitien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #12
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 4985

i thought it was bigger.

but a great tour, thanks for the pics.

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

LordMarshall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #13
thebackdoorman

Likes (Received): 52

Swiss cities look really nice. Great street scenes.