daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2005, 06:12 AM   #21
Chino_waro

Likes (Received): 4

Panama's skyline didnt start as a ego thing, they had to grow verticly because of it untouchable Metroplitan park,, which is a necesity to get enough rain water for the Panama Canal, SO panamas Skyline was more of a necesity due to the lack of land to build on.
Chino_waro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #22
PanaManiac
"Hands of Stone"

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino_waro
All that is B.S!!! even though Central America is only considerded a Sub-Continent its just seriousy stupid to consider it part of north or south america, in my point of view.
I'm going to try this one more time before giving up. Think "big picture." If you were asked on which of the seven continents is Panama located, what would you say? Central America? You would be wrong because Central America is a region within a continent, not a continent in and of itself. To further illustrate my point, click on this link.

That aside, the one glaring bizarre caption is at the very top of this thread, above Panama City's skyline, which reads: Best South American Skyline
HD video #1-> PANAMA - HUB OF THE AMERICAS <-HD video #2
HD video #3-> Panatrópolis! <-HD video #3
Images link #1-> Panama City - Ciudad de Panamá <-Images link #2

Last edited by PanaManiac; September 9th, 2008 at 11:35 AM.
PanaManiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #23
SuperDog
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? Panama City is a North American City. Is Cadiz Spain, African because it is so far south?

Does the contenental land mass stop abruptly on the Mexican /Guatemalan border because man has decide to draw a line through the jungle and label one Central America and one North America?

Call yourself what you want to ....but PANAMA is a North American country.

Live with it.
SuperDog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #24
PanaManiac
"Hands of Stone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger
Someone want to tell me what is so great about Panama City's skyline?
With it's hands tied behind it's back, it beats the crap out of San Diego's skyline. And that is great enough for me...

NOTE: For anyone who does not see the relevance, Wallbanger is demonstrating his/her contempt from San Diego.

Last edited by PanaManiac; October 12th, 2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #25
PanaManiac
"Hands of Stone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDog
You know what it is... small countries need something to boost their egos, and to mark their spot on this earth. (think Dubai)

Since this is about Skyscrapers. Panama City has a wonderful skyline (although it is not much of a city compare to others like Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires...those are thriving bustling cities, centers of culture and commerce).

But for a little city of 1 million in the developing world it is grand to have soaring apartment towers that define your skyline.

Great for Panama.
I picked up on your presumptuous condescending and patronizing attitude towards my small country. Have you ever been to Panama City?! On what basis do you assume that it's not a thriving bustling center of culture and commerce? For one thing (and I'll impose that limit), Panama City is the banking capital of Latin America! If that's not commerce, I don't know what is...
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #26
SuperDog
BANNED

I have been to Panama many times.

I am going to refrain from saying anything bad about a latin american country. But it seems so preposterous to compare Panama City to Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo or even Bogota.

I guess skylines alone do not make a great city.

A great city has history, great universities, cultural institutions, world class museums, bohemian neighborhoods, a thriving theater district.

Panama City has none of these.

True it is a regional banking center. but most of your banks are post office boxes. No large bank has a corporate base out of Panama city

Miami or New York and London function as financial centers for Latin America.

I will stop here.

Last edited by SuperDog; October 12th, 2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #27
weill
North Roanoke

i liked the results!
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:21 AM   #28
Guille
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Well, at least we all agree Panama City IS NOT a south american city, right?
Guille no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #29
Shafick
Como en 2004

Likes (Received): 16

@SuperDog:

What you think does not have any importance. The location of Panama is also more than a geographic concept. Central America is an independent zone of the north and the south. You know it very well.

Central America is Central America, end of discussion.

[IMG]http://www.*******************/maps/central-america-map.gif[/IMG]

You need more maps to understand?
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #30
SuperDog
BANNED

Another geography flunky....

We are talking continents. Not political divisions.
Central America is not a continent!.
Panama is North America!!!!!!!
Old October 16th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #31
source26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Panama is on the North American Continent. It is just as north american as Alaska.

Is Greece not a part of Europe because it is on the Balkan Peninsula?

Is the Sinai not part of Asia because it is in the Middle East?
btw, sinai being part of egypt is in africa.
If it was part of Israel it would I guess be asia..
funny
source26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #32
Humberto123
Humberto123

Location: Caracas / Boston / Santiago de Chile / Sao Paulo / Lima
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaniac
Panama City from [B]Central America reached across it's border with Colombia to clobber all of [B]South America!Awesome.
The skyline is definetely the best. I love the skyscrapers, the Casco Viejo and old Panama. It is a very attractive city.

However, Panama City looks like a big city but it is really not.

Inside (I have been there four times) Panama City feels a bit provincial and it is a little bit dead on weekends and evenings except for a few spots. Cultural activites are scarce. This is specially so compared to Buenos Aires, Caracas, Mexico, Santiago, Bogota, Lima.

The biggest issue I have with Panama City is that I dont understand why they dont do something about the ocean tide and the sewage problem. When tide goes down the whole area near those wonderful buildings smells fetide.

The goverment should do something about it. It ruins what otherwise would be a nearly perfect small city.
Humberto123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #33
Humberto123
Humberto123

Location: Caracas / Boston / Santiago de Chile / Sao Paulo / Lima
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaniac
Allow me to clarify, my dear countrymen: SuperDog is right in the broadest sense. From a continental standpoint, Panama (and all of Central America) belongs in the North American continent. In terms of fine-tuned geography, the countries that comprise the isthmus that seperates the two larger land masses, form what's known as Central America. Can you grasp the concept?

I agree -
Humberto123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #34
Juanshio
skycrapersero

Ok ok.. lets clarify.. Down here in Latin America (Not just Panama) we are taught that there are 6 continents: 1- Europe, 2- Asia, 3- Africa, 4- Antartica, 5- Oceania (which encompasses Australia, New Zealand, Tazmania, etc) and 6- America (considered as just one huge big land mass)

Here they also teach us that in America there are 3 sub-continents: South America (Colombia, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Suriname, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay) CENTRAL AMERICA (Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Belize) and NORTH AMERICA is another sub-continent in which Mexico, US, and Canada are located..

Since over here they teach land division this way and over there in the US another way.. we will get nowhere with this discussion, you'll have your point of view, and we will have ours.. so lets save ourselves some typing and end of discussion..
Juanshio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #35
Chino_waro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humberto123
The skyline is definetely the best. I love the skyscrapers, the Casco Viejo and old Panama. It is a very attractive city.

However, Panama City looks like a big city but it is really not.

Inside (I have been there four times) Panama City feels a bit provincial and it is a little bit dead on weekends and evenings except for a few spots. Cultural activites are scarce. This is specially so compared to Buenos Aires, Caracas, Mexico, Santiago, Bogota, Lima.

The biggest issue I have with Panama City is that I dont understand why they dont do something about the ocean tide and the sewage problem. When tide goes down the whole area near those wonderful buildings smells fetide.

The goverment should do something about it. It ruins what otherwise would be a nearly perfect small city.
THeir workin on that, i was in Panama in august '05 , and was thru the Bay area alot and didnt smell anything bad liek before

there is about 2 or 3 projects on that focus
Chino_waro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #36
SuperDog
BANNED

See... this is the reason that we should not define a city by the whims of speculators.

A city has to grow organically. Build infrastructure, let neighborhoods develop thier own identities.

Not to belittle Panama City, because it is not that bad as others in the region...but it is no great Latin American urban center. It is third tier if you ask me.
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #37
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
See... this is the reason that we should not define a city by the whims of speculators.

A city has to grow organically. Build infrastructure, let neighborhoods develop thier own identities.

Not to belittle Panama City, because it is not that bad as others in the region...but it is no great Latin American urban center. It is third tier if you ask me.
Ok, but it's an irrelevant comment since this thread is not about which city is the great Latin American urban centre, it's about which city has the best skyline.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #38
sinduda

I found my way here by means of a google search and stayed to visit awhile. Finally just had to throw in yet another quirk in this equation for you to ponder.

I moved to Panama City from New York City (where we moaned that post 9-11, the downtown skyline now looked like Boston...God forbid!) about 16 months ago. I live in Casco Viejo, a neighborhood that is the oldest European settlement on the entire Pacific coast of the Americas and a UNESCO World Heritage site. My first year was on the skyline side of the peninsula that ends with the French Plaza. Now I live facing the other way, on the sea front looking at the Causeway, the mountains, the Panama Canal AND The Bridge Over the Americas - La Puente de Las Americas. Fortunately, the sewage in the sea doesn't stink over here like it does directly in front of Paitilla and Avenida Balboa, which is where you see the skyline.

What is commonly accepted here is that anything in Panama on the west side of the bridge is North America and anything on the east side of the bridge is South America. Baffled me and I didn't believe them, but it is the common idealogy here. Bear in mind, Panama runs east to west so you can actually watch the sun rise over the Pacific Ocean and from Casco Viejo, that would be just to the right of the buildings in the standard PC skyline photo. And ps, most of those buildings are residential, so are regularly mostly dark at night instead of a some seemingly jeweled profile in a night sky.
sinduda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #39
No Change No Future

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humberto123

They are, there is a project to clean the Panama Bay, I'm not sure if it's been approved yet (perhaps someone who lives in Panama could shed some light on this) but I imagine it'll take many years to accomplish.

I wonder why they did it in the first place, they purposely contaminated a body of water that directly faces the city, consequently bringining such a rancid smell ashore.

When I was growing up in Panama City I attented Colegio San Agustin, at the time situated on Balboa Ave., directly in front of the water, the classrooms had no AC so we basically had to smell human feces ALL DAY.
In recent years the school was moved to Costa del Este and promptly replaced with Multicentro.
No Change No Future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #40
Menandro
Old kid again on da block

Likes (Received): 4790

Panama Bay Cleanup project is being developed since the year 2004... Will take at least seven years to accomplish... Will cost aprox. 500 million dollars...

"The Government of Panama has prioritized the cleaning of Panama Bay. As a result, the Panama Bay Cleanup project is being developed to rehabilitate the Panama City metropolitan area’s existing sanitary sewer system and to construct new sanitary sewer collectors, pump stations and sewage treatment plants"

AS you should know, this is a huge project...

The good news, the project IS NOW being developed!!!

Ignorancia, nuestro peor enemigo...
Menandro no está en línea   Reply With Quote