daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Lotus Temple Vs. Opera House, which has better architecture
Lotus Temple 56 44.80%
Opera House 56 44.80%
Tie 13 10.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #41
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple
 
Sarcasticity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DC/NYC
Posts: 1,983
Likes (Received): 106

Overall design, I like the Lotus Temple. I've never heard of it till now. I was never really in awe of Sydney Opera House's design, but combined with the gorgeous setting, it stands out.
__________________
FILIPINO by blood. AMERICAN by ambition.

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #42
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,634
Likes (Received): 10788

I expected to vote Sydney Opera House, but they're both very good.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #43
Marathaman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 12,872
Likes (Received): 6038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Is that where they put chips in australia? I knew you guys were upside-down but this is another level of weird :P
__________________
upcoming predictions:

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #44
mw123
Registered User
 
mw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,818
Likes (Received): 2669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinash89 View Post
With no offence,do you think that Opera house can beat those top 20 Indian structures in terms of quality,scale or beauty?I guess no.It's a national symbol of Australia no doubt but you need to understand that those top 20 structures are 100s of years old and most of them are world heritage sites.But yes both are beautiful.So no comparison.But in my opinion Sydney opera house is raw whereas lotus temple is far more complex structure.
Yes, Australia has modern architectural wonders, India doesn't India does not have a modern building that has been able to become a significant International icon.

Sure, this lotus building might be well known in India, but I can assure you that many people outside of India (particularly those beyond this forum) have never seen or known what it actually is.

The Opera House is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the architect of the Opera House was awarded the Pritzker Prize, pretty much architecture's highest honour and the citation from the prize says it all:

There is no doubt that the Sydney Opera House is his masterpiece. It is one of the great iconic buildings of the 20th century, an image of great beauty that has become known throughout the world – a symbol for not only a city, but a whole country and continent.

__________________

cnd liked this post

Last edited by mw123; April 16th, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #45
Abinash89
Registered User
 
Abinash89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,185
Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
Yes, Australia has modern architectural wonders, India doesn't India does not have a modern building that has been able to become a significant International icon.

Sure, this lotus building might be well known in India, but I can assure you that many people outside of India (particularly those beyond this forum) have never seen or known what it actually is.

The Opera House is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the architect of the Opera House was awarded the Pritzker Prize, pretty much architecture's highest honour and the citation from the prize says it all:

There is no doubt that the Sydney Opera House is his masterpiece. It is one of the great iconic buildings of the 20th century, an image of great beauty that has become known throughout the world – a symbol for not only a city, but a whole country and continent.

I didn't mean modern buildings bro.It was about stunning architecture and structure.How many world heritage site Australia has?And i don't think Australia has any modern architectural wonders except this Opera house.
__________________
Abinash
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #46
mw123
Registered User
 
mw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,818
Likes (Received): 2669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinash89 View Post
I didn't mean modern buildings bro.It was about stunning architecture and structure.How many world heritage site Australia has?And i don't think Australia has any modern architectural wonders except this Opera house.
Well, 'bro', the point is that the Opera House is clearly the superior building according to pretty much all measures of pioneering engineering, architectural ingenuity and iconic status.

I am merely responding to the nonsensical and hysterical arguments put forward on a whim by some such as yourself, that the Opera House is not a cultural icon, is ugly, is simple and its architect is 'to blame' for the fact that some are so stupidly insular (or claim to be) that they had never heard of it...

Get back to me when you're connected to the outside world and have the ability to forward an argument with more substance than:
"Sydney opera house is raw whereas lotus temple is far more complex structure." pfft...
__________________

cnd liked this post
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #47
mw123
Registered User
 
mw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,818
Likes (Received): 2669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Disguise View Post
Opera House is really nice however, details and actual product wise Lotus Temple is far better....
And what the **** is that supposed to mean? What measures did you analyse to come to that ever so 'well thought out' conclusion?
__________________

cnd liked this post
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #48
Abinash89
Registered User
 
Abinash89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,185
Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
Well, 'bro', the point is that the Opera House is clearly the superior building according to pretty much all measures of pioneering engineering, architectural ingenuity and iconic status.

I am merely responding to the nonsensical and hysterical arguments put forward on a whim by some such as yourself, that the Opera House is not a cultural icon, is ugly, is simple and its architect is 'to blame' for the fact that some are so stupidly insular (or claim to be) that they had never heard of it...

Get back to me when you're connected to the outside world and have the ability to forward an argument with more substance than:
"Sydney opera house is raw whereas lotus temple is far more complex structure." pfft...
Iconic status just because Australia doesn't have any other structure matching it.The only iconic building of Australia.Come to India,structure like this are found in almost every city which are far superior as far as engineering and cultural importance are concerned.And i never said that Opera house is not a cultural icon.It's but for Australia only.
__________________
Abinash
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #49
mw123
Registered User
 
mw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,818
Likes (Received): 2669

Well you still can't seem to respond as to why the Lotus Temple is supposedly so superior to the Opera House. There is no way it compares to the Opera House in terms of its pioneered engineering and design, its complexity and its importance and international recognition. Sure, some may prefer the look of the Lotus Temple as that is a subjective thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinash89 View Post
...far superior as far as engineering and cultural importance are concerned...
And by what measures would you justify this questionable claim? I don't care if there is an unknown crumbling castle or temple in every Indian town or city, maybe you should start another thread and we can compare them to the other great ancient structures of the world
__________________

cnd liked this post
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #50
Marathaman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 12,872
Likes (Received): 6038

Just because you think it's iconic, it is? What about the rest of us?
__________________
upcoming predictions:

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.

Last edited by Marathaman; April 19th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #51
Student4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 771
Likes (Received): 43

Come on ,guys . There's no need for an argument.
Opera House is a world icon and for good reason .No one can deny that . Personally, I like Lotus Temple more because of the symmetry but then beauty is purely subjective .
Student4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #52
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,883
Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathaman View Post
It's "Iconic" because some people (mainly the "west") decided that it is, without consulting around, let's see...4-5 billion other people. Which basically means that it's "Iconic' Status is worth nothing.
Amongst English speaking countries, the Sydney Opera House is an 'iconic' structure. Like it or lump it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinash89 View Post
Iconic status just because Australia doesn't have any other structure matching it.The only iconic building of Australia.Come to India,structure like this are found in almost every city which are far superior as far as engineering and cultural importance are concerned.And i never said that Opera house is not a cultural icon.It's but for Australia only.
What a load. It isn't because Australia has no other architecture to match the Sydney Opera House. That's like me saying that the Taj Mahal is the only iconic structure in India, because nothing else matches it, because a lot of people know the Taj Mahal and the Taj Mahal only.... While other buildings mightn't receive the same levels of exposure as the Opera House; Australia has many creative and innovative architects, as well incredible buildings and structures both modern and historic. You can't base your entire opinion and whack claims on your ignorance, and lack of knowledge.
__________________

cnd liked this post
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #53
Abinash89
Registered User
 
Abinash89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,185
Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Amongst English speaking countries, the Sydney Opera House is an 'iconic' structure. Like it or lump it.



What a load. It isn't because Australia has no other architecture to match the Sydney Opera House. That's like me saying that the Taj Mahal is the only iconic structure in India, because nothing else matches it, because a lot of people know the Taj Mahal and the Taj Mahal only.... While other buildings mightn't receive the same levels of exposure as the Opera House; Australia has many creative and innovative architects, as well incredible buildings and structures both modern and historic. You can't base your entire opinion and whack claims on your ignorance, and lack of knowledge.
Well go and check world heritage sites by countries.It seems you lack knowledge.The entire world knows and loves Indian architecture other than Taj Mahal.But Australia is known for only two things,one is Opera house and other being Sydney harbour bridge.I'm not being arrogant.I didn't start the argument first.We are comparing these two structures based on their beauty.Hence my votes goes for Lotus temple but you started bragging about Engineering pioneer,quality blah blah as if you are a quality controller.
__________________
Abinash
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #54
Abinash89
Registered User
 
Abinash89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,185
Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
Well you still can't seem to respond as to why the Lotus Temple is supposedly so superior to the Opera House. There is no way it compares to the Opera House in terms of its pioneered engineering and design, its complexity and its importance and international recognition. Sure, some may prefer the look of the Lotus Temple as that is a subjective thing.



And by what measures would you justify this questionable claim? I don't care if there is an unknown crumbling castle or temple in every Indian town or city, maybe you should start another thread and we can compare them to the other great ancient structures of the world
Just because of its beauty,shape and symmetry.We are comparing these two based on its looks not quality or engineering pioneer thing.How can you say that it is of sub-standard quality?Are you a quality controller genius who can judge the quality by looking at its pic?

Unknown crumbling castle?I'm talking about UNESCO world heritage sites.Millions of people come here praise those beauties.There are threads to showcase those structures.Go and check them out.And if you don't appreciate classical beauties,it's not our fault.It's shows you are childish who runs after discos and pubs and wants to see those monotonous glassy buildings.
__________________
Abinash

Last edited by Abinash89; April 19th, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #55
Abinash89
Registered User
 
Abinash89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,185
Likes (Received): 593

O.K let's end this useless argument here.We can't draw any conclusion based on these pics.For Aussies Opera house is an icon, which is true and for us Lotus temple.And honestly Sydney Opera house holds a better iconic stature than Lotus temple but for me Lotus temple is more beautiful based on its shape and symmetry.That is it.
__________________
Abinash
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #56
Timothy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,353
Likes (Received): 205


Again, No.

The UNESCO list is a crap determinator of what does and what doesn't constitute iconic. For example, the Empire State Building isn't listed, yet a Fossil Site in Frankfurt is? What kind of shitty indicator is that?

As I've already stated earlier in this thread, I've personally visited both, and the setting, quality of materials, innovation of design and general betterness gives the Sydney Opera House the overwhelming win in this. It's not a competition.

Like it or lump it, the Lotus Temple (and most other designs like it these days) have copied from the Sydney Opera House.

Abinash89, your lack of knowledge about the iconic buildings in Australia just shows how little you know generally. Australia has far, far more sites that are recognised around the world, and we have other buildings that are also on the World Heritage List (which btw, the Lotus Temple isnt).

Ask anyone who hasn't been to India to name a building other than the Taj Mahal and the vast majority would struggle. That's not a reflection of India, but a reflection of those who don't know shit - such as you about Australia.
Timothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #57
Abinash89
Registered User
 
Abinash89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,185
Likes (Received): 593

Yeah you said those things and the whole world would agree with you,isn't it?You are an Aussie ,So it's obvious that you would admire things from your country first.
It is you who don't know about architecture in India not other people.Even Australia is know for two things only as i have mentioned earlier Opera house(in English speaking people) and Sydney harbour bridge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tes_by_country

Go through the link. Australia has got only 3 cultural world heritage sites whereas India has 23 sites.So no comparison.But yes Australia and its scenic beauty is just wow.I really admire it.O.k lets stop this hatred speech here.the World needs peace not fight.
__________________
Abinash

Last edited by Abinash89; April 20th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #58
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,883
Likes (Received): 6445

Again, I don't quite get your point? It was never about which country has the most cultural world heritage listed sites... I simply said the Sydney Opera House is one. It was you and your gaggle of idiots who decided to refute it, then when you realised it was classified a cultural icon, you went on about how many more India has...

I'm the first to admit I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to India and it's 'icons' (which I use very loosely in this instance), but I'm also not the one claiming the Opera House wasn't a cultural icon, nor that it is the only one of its kind - simply because it's the most well known. That, my friend, is ignorance.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #59
Abinash89
Registered User
 
Abinash89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,185
Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Again, I don't quite get your point? It was never about which country has the most cultural world heritage listed sites... I simply said the Sydney Opera House is one. It was you and your gaggle of idiots who decided to refute it, then when you realised it was classified a cultural icon, you went on about how many more India has...

I'm the first to admit I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to India and it's 'icons' (which I use very loosely in this instance), but I'm also not the one claiming the Opera House wasn't a cultural icon, nor that it is the only one of its kind - simply because it's the most well known. That, my friend, is ignorance.
O.k I got your point.Sorry for the misunderstanding friend.My view was completely based on its external looks,beauty and shape.
__________________
Abinash
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #60
mariocesare
Orto contorto
 
mariocesare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Turin, Schapbach, Esfahan, Trapani, Alba, Calgary
Posts: 10,497
Likes (Received): 2269

I'd say Opera House for asimmetric form, but also the perfect simmetric form of this temple is very impressive - I don't wonder about almost tie result
mariocesare no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu