SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlanta, GA: Truly World Class?

26K views 152 replies 73 participants last post by  desertpunk 
#1 ·
I will start off this thread by stating the fact that yes, I've actually been to Atlanta many times. :)

A great tourist town, with it's fair share of glit glamour and urbanity. And I appreciate all of the quality hip hop. But world class....

What defines a world class city? Deeply rooted history? Trend setting fashion? World recognized center of arts culture and high society? Most would argue these characteristics would be included.

Also most would agree that cities like London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, Los Angeles; have definetly secured world class status.

But Atlanta GA? Hmmm. London, Paris, Atlanta, GA, Tokyo, LA; doesn't quite seem like a fluid list, to me at least. So for those that claim Atl is world class, what criteria puts it on the level of those other bona fide world class cities? Does one Olympic Games, a ton of traffic and some big corporations a world class city make? If Atlanta is indeed world class, what makes it world class?

I assume this will quickly turn into a Atlanta, GA vs Charlotte thread, with brilliant points being made such as "Hey, at least we know Charlotte is chopped liver!" and "Charlotte wants to be Atlanta, GA!" But nevertheless please try to address the topic at hand.

See less See more
#3 ·
In Europe when I say I'm from Charlotte, I usually get blank stares. When I say I live 500 km northeast of Atlanta, I typically get a nod of recognition, when I say I live half-way between Miami and New York then it's established for certain.
so.......
Charlotte = Not World Class
Atlanta = Sorta World Class
Miami and New York = Super World Class

#4 ·
atlrvr said:
In Europe when I say I'm from Charlotte, I usually get blank stares. When I say I live 500 km northeast of Atlanta, I typically get a nod of recognition, when I say I live half-way between Miami and New York then it's established for certain.
so.......
Charlotte = Not World Class
Atlanta = Sorta World Class
Miami and New York = Super World Class
So then name recognition makes a city world class?

#7 ·
I don't understand why this thread was started either - besides the fact it has been covered many times.

Atlanta is still an emerging national city, with it's roots being regional. No, I don't think the city is 'world class' - & I have to admit I don't care too much...

#13 ·
Atlanta is a class four gamma level world city. I think we've been over this before.

London, NYC, Paris: all class 12 alpha world cities.

But seriously, what does it matter? I care more about it being a nice place to live than what someone in Kuala Lumpur may (or more likely may not) think about it. Being known worldwide and having worldwide influence is nice and does have it's perks and opens doors but if the sewers are overflowing, traffic gridlocked, and the transit system decimated, the fact that someone in Budapest knows about Atlanta doesn't do a whole lot for me.

#14 ·
Other than The Bradley, CNN, the Weather Channel, and a *hit load of people who have to pass through the airport on their way to some place else, does anyone really give a crap about Atlanta?

:jk: :runaway:

#16 ·
Hmmm.... well if you're a fan of Olmsted, we have a couple of his parks. Of course that only means we have some well designed parks (but certainly not a huge quantity of them) and not that Atlanta is world class. But I think most of Atlanta's "world class" status comes not from things like the Weather Channel but rather business connections.

#21 ·
like aubie said, we've been through this before;

there's a list, a very good list of "what a world city is," that breaks them down in tiers.

1st tiers in the U.S. are NYC, LA and Chicago. i think Atlanta was 2nd or 3rd...

then there's also "emerging world cities" listed, for example, Glasgow and Budapest.

so, whatever. in Atlanta's defense of being "world class," i will say that it's contributed a lot to pop-hip-hop culture.

so to answer your question, yes, there's a lot of difference between Atlanta and Charlotte city-wise.

-

#23 ·
Heckles finally came out of the closet over at SSP, maybe exyankee will eventually do the same here.

#25 ·
TheBrad said:
I don't understand why this thread was started either - besides the fact it has been covered many times.

Atlanta is still an emerging national city, with it's roots being regional. No, I don't think the city is 'world class' - & I have to admit I don't care too much...
Ah... I think you ment atl is an Emerged!!! national city, and a Emerging world city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.