daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #21
FSUViking9

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
The plan "looks like a junkyard, a series of broken-down angles that don't match each other. And we have to live with this for hundreds of years?" he said. "It is the worst pile of crap architecture I've ever seen in my life."
FSUViking9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #22
Lance
Most ignored user!

Likes (Received): 3

I think the only way this could come to fruition is if they somehow managed a mass demonstration against freedom tower. Does the average new yorker know what freedom looks like? they need to know, and if they arent happy then its the average new yorker who will make the difference.
Lance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #23
Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaljoe
It's an American thing. You wouldn't understand, being from Italia, or Europa, or whatever it's going by these days.
What kind of an idiotic statement is that! I am from Belgium, and I absolutely hate the Freedom tower. I hope very hard the Twin towers are rebuild. If you would search a bit on this forum, you would find my proposal of how to do so. Anyways, this should be an international affair, because people from around the whole world have been killed. Not only Americans!
Amazing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #24
ERIC
Skyscraper lover

Likes (Received): 417

The design of the new Twins by Kenneth Gardner.

ERIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #25
me,myself and I

terrible idea and terrible design

can't understand why they don't call back Foster to save the day

anyway the trump proposals feels like the Las Vegas version of New York
No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.

Hunter S. Thompson
me,myself and I no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #26
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Likes (Received): 54

i like it, and think it should be built, but i dont like the horizontal lines either i think it needs to stick with the original design if its going to win over NYers.
Barsby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #27
Amazing

I think that in the first place we should be gratefull for an Architect finally doing this. It would horrible to rebuild them in the exact same way. So I have no problem whatso-ever with the small changes compared to the original towers. It would be awesome to see them rebuild!

Go Trump!
Amazing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #28
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

I like the idea, but it would be awesome of the rebuilt WTC were designed as the WTB, or damned close. A measley 100ft shouldn't do

Does Trumps deisgn preserve the footprints?
edit - didn't see the pics on the 2nd page, they do!
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #29
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

The only thing I don't like is that stumpy 12-storey building on the corner between the 2 foot prints of the original towers. I think that it should be a park which will enhance the foot-prints and not hide them (at they moment they look insignificant).

I also think that Calatrava's transit centre should be incorporated into the master plan.

Just imagine a park here - it will be great:

Old May 20th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #30
New York Yankee

Likes (Received): 4

it looks so strong, and tall.
IT LOOKS MODERN!
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #31
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

ok, next step: CALL FOSTER!!! NOW!!!!!!!!
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #32
nicholasliha
Pubescent Singaporean

donald trump is rubbish. he must never be allowed to touch architecture just cos he has money. that man is nothing but inflated ego. the WTC redesign by him says nothing to the issues of Sep 11 besides giving terrorists and other such opponents of american imperialism a howl of revenge. Rebuilding the towers is not about "triumphing over the darkness" that is islamic fundamentalism, its about rising from the ashes sensitive to the phenomenon that is international resentment of american brusqueness and insensitivity in its culture export. Therefore this calls for a new structure designed with such issues in mind.

America will not grow if the towers are rebuilt as they were, originally conceived as projects of megalomanic self aggrandisement. New York, once the fullest expression of churlish capitalism, must turn away from a past that was absorbed with herself and embrace the world if she is to be respected as the "greatest city in the world".

"Others are absolutely free; Singaporeans are absolutely not. Freedom is elsewhere." - Simon SC Tay, chairman of the Singapore Institute of International Affairs
nicholasliha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #33
Corretje

Likes (Received): 8

If the citizens of New York want that ugly icon twin back than give it back!
What's the big deal?
Corretje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #34
demanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasliha
donald trump is rubbish. he must never be allowed to touch architecture just cos he has money. that man is nothing but inflated ego. the WTC redesign by him says nothing to the issues of Sep 11 besides giving terrorists and other such opponents of american imperialism a howl of revenge. Rebuilding the towers is not about "triumphing over the darkness" that is islamic fundamentalism, its about rising from the ashes sensitive to the phenomenon that is international resentment of american brusqueness and insensitivity in its culture export. Therefore this calls for a new structure designed with such issues in mind.

America will not grow if the towers are rebuilt as they were, originally conceived as projects of megalomanic self aggrandisement. New York, once the fullest expression of churlish capitalism, must turn away from a past that was absorbed with herself and embrace the world if she is to be respected as the "greatest city in the world".

A-*******-men. (yes im christian, no this is not a swipe at any other religion, its just an expression)
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #35
Caustic
wie Friedrichstraße

Likes (Received): 905

Quote:
It's an American thing. You wouldn't understand, being from Italia, or Europa, or whatever it's going by these days.
Are you saying that of all possible designs for a new tower, the old one is the best? Or is it a case of prioritising the simbolic value of the building rather than its aesthetic qualities? I CAN understand, if it's the second one, but I still don't agree with it. Why not build the most amazing tower in the world instead of a cheap copy of the previous one? That would have been a real slap in the face to the terrorists! Anyway, that's my opinion.

Quote:
^ Don't be a ****. Same to Caustic Window.
What a killer argumentation! Is it Oxford speak?
Caustic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #36
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Actually, yes.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #37
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 488

lol @ people saying they dont like it.

It is pretty much identicle

Obviously the new ones have horizontal window lines, and 2 bands around them..

But really theyre nearly identicle.
Malt está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #38
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

the difference is very noticeable though...
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #39
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 663

I wasnt convinced about the Freedom Towers: Crap name, mediocre design.

But this isnt a great deal better. I would love to see the Twin Towers go back up - but not in this "poor cousin" version that Mr Trump has shat out.

The ONLY stand-out design feature (apart from its monolithic dimensions) of the old Twin Towers was its heavy emphasis on Vertical lines.

That made it look slightly more graceful and slender than it actually was.

Mr Pump's design therefore has taken the best part of the old Twin Towers, and thrown it away.

Pants (Underwear).

Do something good with this land, rebuild the towers the way they were if you must, but at least do a good job of it!
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #40
Justadude

Likes (Received): 1

Look, I'm an American who was as pissed off as anybody about what happened to the WTC. I've gone through the whole range of emotions along with the rest of the USA: shock, trauma, grief, anger, solidarity, resilience, pride, determination. If there's anything I'm NOT, it's callous or naive about the scale of the destruction at WTC and the necessity to rebuild the site in a manner that is appropriate both symbolically and practically. As much as anyone, I want to make it clear that knocking down a couple of buildings is only going to piss this country off, not defeat it.

And it's for exactly those reasons that I wish the idea of replicating the old WTC would go away and not come back. The last thing that we need to do is try and pretend the past never happened. We need to remember it clearly and emotionally, the way we remember wars and great disasters. It is of the utmost importance that we not acquire the attitude that we can simply cover-up the deaths of thousands of people at the hands of human beings.

I don't want the new project to match the grandeur of the old WTC. I want it to exceed it by a mile. I want this to be the most beautiful and magnificent building in the world when it's finished. The old WTC was big, but not especially beautiful. The new building should be both. It should be something new, something special, something that speaks to the future instead of the past. It should be something that reminds every terrorist on earth that even their grandest plans will end up as nothing but gravel under the timeless monuments of a great civilization.
Justadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote