daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2005, 02:14 PM   #61
gurukool
build intelligent

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
Same Here
trump is out of his mind,,
gurukool no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM   #62
Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleSunset
This is my very first post at the SkyscraperCity Forums, so I want to make it a good one...

Unless you have lived in or around New York City, were connected in any way to the tragedy (locally, nationally or abroad) or affected by all that has gone on here since then, I believe that people who aren't should not tell us what is most appropriate for Ground Zero. While this directly affects this city the most and is especially a national tragedy, yes it does affect the international community. However, what belongs there is what should ultimately be what New Yorkers believe, not those from other countries.

While some of you want to convince us that New Yorkers should completely move on from what has been a lot more than just a pair of skyscrapers that stood in Lower Manhattan. I'm sorry, we won't be able to move on. We cannot forget. The terrorist attacks on New York City will be a part of us forever. Words cannot describe enough the feelings we have for the barbarians that tried to forever destroy a part of this city, a true icon. I don't care what the LMDC tries to replace it with, the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center are irreplacable. If they weren't such a icon for New York and what ended up as a financial symbol for this country, Al Queda would not have taken them down in the most horrifying way imaginable.

Another thing... this was a very public endorsement of Kenneth Gardner and Herbert Belton's proposal, not Trump's own plan. Gardner and Belton badly needed someone of Trump's stature to get the proposal the media exposure for everyone to see. This idea had been supressed for far too long by the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation from getting any attention and consideration whatsoever. Now, this proposal is finally out in the open and the timing of this being done was perfect for those who support it.

To answer anyone's question as to where I stand with what I want for Ground Zero, yes... 110% behind rebuilding the Twin Towers. However, one condition must be considered first and foremost… a fitting memorial as a part of the master plan. While the new Twin Towers idea is worth much consideration for its selection, it can only be an element of such a plan that is a part of a symbolic tribute (or restored icon) to all New Yorkers and Americans that in any way were affected by the tragedy, not solely as a commercial real estate element to this site.

While I have mixed general views of Mr. Trump and whether or not this is for his own publicity, love or hate him, he at least gives the impression he's thinking for the people on backing the Gardner/Belton proposal. Problem for him is that he has no say as to what the final plan is decided upon for Ground Zero. The majority of people that have been a part of this entire process during the last 3½ years (victims' families included) would have to publicly endorse such a plan to persuade New York State governor George Pataki, New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, site leaseholder Larry Silverstein and the LMDC what grand site plan they really want.

Whether this proposal ever gets considered or is miraculously chosen with some site plan changes that is fitting for everyone, it's anyone's guess. The odds are stacked high against it ever happening, but at least this is now a possibility and not anyone's belief as "never going to happen".

I cannot say more. You perfectely express the opinion of - what I think - a lot of people have.
Amazing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:14 AM   #63
GaNgStA-DeSi-4LiFe
the Punjabi 50 cent

the libeskinds plan is kinda like...umm...freaky and ugly lol..GO TRUMP!
"success is my only mothereffin option...failures not"
- Eminem
GaNgStA-DeSi-4LiFe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:46 AM   #64
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

They could never rebuild the twins to look as good as the original, never.
What they should do IMO is build something extreme and inspiring like Foster's towers.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:02 AM   #65
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 153

I'm amazed at how many people want Fosters design!?
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:12 AM   #66
ReddAlert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Fosters was pretty ugly in my opinion. I would look more out of place than FT.
ReddAlert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:37 AM   #67
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy
I'm amazed at how many people want Fosters design!?
Lord Foster's a PIMP! Trump's a tool, he should try to fix his hair before trying to fix the WTC site.

Honestly people... what company in their right mind would lease office space in the rebuilt twins? As sentimental as it would [apparently] be to rebuild them, this is still more of a heavily economic decision. They're going to [eventually] build something companies will inhabit, and that's NOT what rebuilding the twins would do!

GO FOSTER!!!
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:50 AM   #68
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

Foster is a great architect but the wtc design is uuuooogggllllaaaayyy.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:33 PM   #69
Xtremegamer

Likes (Received): 26

As much as I love Foster, his design sucks. It's shape is reminicient of 9/11, the pictures of the towers collapsing. It's not a very sensitive design.
Xtremegamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM   #70
Xtremegamer

Likes (Received): 26

And I find it funny that most of the people against Trump's design aren't NYers/Americans...
Xtremegamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM   #71
FerrariEnzo

Likes (Received): 9

Well I am against it.
Mega International resides on that level.
FerrariEnzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:54 PM   #72
GVNY
Metropolis

Likes (Received): 4

Well, I don't support, but it is in the right step.
GVNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:33 PM   #73
Diboto
This is America

Likes (Received): 3

I'm not an architecture expert or anything, but I prefer the classic Trump's design over Foster's on any other design.

It would be nice to have the twin towers back, but with some slight changes. For example, since the shape of Trump's proposed towers is basically the same of the former towers, more "modren-looking" materials should be used.
Also, I would like the new twin towers to have some extra color on them. Maybe the thick horizontal bars should have some red and dark blue on them (maybe using, colored steel, I dunno, I have no idea about materials) which would resemble the american flag.

In any case, this is my non-expert opinion and suggestions.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:39 PM   #74
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 172

Actually, I used to like Foster's design alot, but after looking at it a few times, I have grown to dislike it. Its design is bold, but not enduring, it will not last, a design that will not grow into the hearts of many as other architectural monsters have.

An Identical set of towers will hardly do the trick. The purpose of the buildings themselves then were to create as much office space as possible, which resulted in "big buildings, but not great architecture". If we were to do the same thing today, where such problems are already a thing of the past, wouldn't it be rather shallow?

Freedom tower, like Foster's is yet another building of arbitrary nature, it will do NY no good.

Not that I know what to do with the site, but I feel that there are better options than what we have at the moment
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:47 AM   #75
johnrides

Since Trump did it,.. I might as well,...

throw a design I whipped out in a couple hours the other day while the emotions were running high. Even though I think the proposal Trump threw out is not a very one, his heart is in the right place and some of the things he said made sense to me. The skeleton reference I thought of the instant I saw the freedom tower design. The grouping of buildings in their entireity, while not exactly a pile of junk, do not inspire me much. Now the lesser buildings, the idea for the memorial, etc,.. I do find very attractive.

I've rendered a spiraling concept based on the flames from the Statue of Liberty, They will be TALL, 1776 feet rising to 2001 feet at the spire, an integral part of design for those record books as if that matters, The two significant years matter more to me as an American, with the very tip, shooting a beam of light further into the air, to become a beacon for everyone within a hundred miles of them on clear nights for all to see, thus, never forgetting what happened. This will make the building itself a memorial to that terrible day in 2001.

http://www.xnodesign.com/wtc.html
johnrides no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:33 AM   #76
jonovision

Likes (Received): 1

That's a pretty cool design johnrides.
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:49 AM   #77
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1015

That is a nice design, the only problem may be the size of the floorplates, which look to be a bit too small for a modern office building.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:07 AM   #78
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Trump isn't involved in the Ground Zero process. That remains still with Pataki, head of Port Authority, Silverstein, leaseholder, Child's, lead architect, Libeskind, master plan vision picked by Pataki.

Nowhere here is Trump involved and he won't be granted any involvement by the above powerbrokers. Besides all this, Trump never got in the mix early anyway. This is a private commercial site of which Donald Trump has no authority on nor will anybody include him.

I agree with those who want vertical lines like before. The above design is not as good as the originals. Trump is out to lunch on this. He is simply grandstanding for his own ego.

By the end of June, a new FT design will be publicly released and that is what is going to go there and Trump's ideas and grandstands will go the way of the do-do.

Good first post BigAppleSunset!
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:51 AM   #79
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

i don't want to see the twin towers again...
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:06 AM   #80
gwiATLeman

Likes (Received): 1646

I remember not being very impressed by any of the proposals and after seeing Fosters design again I think it would be an impressive design in a smaller building. But I think with a building that large it would look bizarre.

I think the idea of forcing two designers to work together to design a building is one of the worst ideas ever. I didn't want to say it but I really didn't like the FT design and I think Trump, who I generally think is a cheeseball, is totally right in this case.

I would be much more happy with updated WTC towers. I say rebuild the twin towers, not with the exact same design or anything architecturally groundbreaking. Just build them to be dramatic and beautiful.

Last edited by gwiATLeman; May 23rd, 2005 at 07:29 AM.
gwiATLeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote