daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:30 AM   #81
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatur
i don't want to see the twin towers again...
I agree! Something different please!

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:38 AM   #82
Joe84323

Likes (Received): 0

Trump's towers in a light blue glass facade with crowns would suit better.
Joe84323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM   #83
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

mayb if they use glass fascade to cover all the building............
it'll be nicer............
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:48 PM   #84
steblack
KY native in NYC

Likes (Received): 1

trumps plan a bad idea

the fact of the matter is - NYC is not the same city it was before 9/11. All these people who want to rebuild the twin towers are yearning for the old NYC, before the terror attacks. I miss those towers terribly. I used to stand on the west side piers and just gaze at them in the night. I loved the way there were all these variable lit up lines across the facade at nighttime. I REALLY miss them. But I also know we have to move forward, and let the past be the past, even though we may still mourn the loss. I already feel like some people who live here in NYC carry on as if nothing ever happened. I think rebuilding those towers will only make that worse.

Plus, how would all those workers feel going in to work in two towers that look just like the ones my friend and all the others escaped that awful day.....

I would like a better and more imposing design for the site than the current Freedom Tower design.
steblack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:53 PM   #85
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrides
throw a design I whipped out in a couple hours the other day while the emotions were running high. Even though I think the proposal Trump threw out is not a very one, his heart is in the right place and some of the things he said made sense to me. The skeleton reference I thought of the instant I saw the freedom tower design. The grouping of buildings in their entireity, while not exactly a pile of junk, do not inspire me much. Now the lesser buildings, the idea for the memorial, etc,.. I do find very attractive.

I've rendered a spiraling concept based on the flames from the Statue of Liberty, They will be TALL, 1776 feet rising to 2001 feet at the spire, an integral part of design for those record books as if that matters, The two significant years matter more to me as an American, with the very tip, shooting a beam of light further into the air, to become a beacon for everyone within a hundred miles of them on clear nights for all to see, thus, never forgetting what happened. This will make the building itself a memorial to that terrible day in 2001.

http://www.xnodesign.com/wtc.html
Nice design!
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:02 PM   #86
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by steblack
the fact of the matter is - NYC is not the same city it was before 9/11. All these people who want to rebuild the twin towers are yearning for the old NYC, before the terror attacks. I miss those towers terribly. I used to stand on the west side piers and just gaze at them in the night. I loved the way there were all these variable lit up lines across the facade at nighttime. I REALLY miss them. But I also know we have to move forward, and let the past be the past, even though we may still mourn the loss. I already feel like some people who live here in NYC carry on as if nothing ever happened. I think rebuilding those towers will only make that worse.

Plus, how would all those workers feel going in to work in two towers that look just like the ones my friend and all the others escaped that awful day.....

I would like a better and more imposing design for the site than the current Freedom Tower design.
People who don't want the old towers back for that reason seems like a "wussy" mindset to me. I think bringing back the towers would make people more comfortable since they did define New York City. If the Chrysler or Empire State Building, George Washington Bridge or Brooklyn Bridge got destroyed I'd bet my ass they'd rebuild them.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #87
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
People who don't want the old towers back for that reason seems like a "wussy" mindset to me. I think bringing back the towers would make people more comfortable since they did define New York City. If the Chrysler or Empire State Building, George Washington Bridge or Brooklyn Bridge got destroyed I'd bet my ass they'd rebuild them.
Don't even THINK about comparing Chrysler or Empire State to the [old] World Trade Center. Those 30s era buildings were works of art and have defined the NY skyline for way longer than those 70s-era-build-as-cheap-as-you-can grey boxes. Go find an architect so he can slap you!
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #88
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^Suprise, suprise. Cheesehead lacks an apprciation for subtle architecture.

Seriously, the WTC like many building of its era appeals to different tastes. While some like the massing of Art Deco, some of us like sheer height and pure geometry.

The complex itself was far more than the towers, again going back to their creator, his focus was more on the 5 acre plaza that fronted the twins. He was aslo attentive of the lower plaza buildings, which gave the superhuman-sized center a human scale. There was also the hotel and underground mall, which were valued by the Battery Park City, which is literally built on the excavations for the WTC.

The WTC was the largest piece of abstract art ever made. To hate them because they aren't pretty and detailed is to miss their point entirely. The twin towers were meant to be viewed as a whole, not individually, the focus was in the interplay of the buildings. Some views you so both clearly, sometimes you saw only one tower, the other was behind the first. Sometimes you could see part of both and they seemed to be just one huge building. That was the point, that was their elegence. They appealed to a higher level, they were almost intellectual.

Last edited by STR; May 24th, 2005 at 07:41 AM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #89
Archiconnoisseur

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steblack
Nobody is going to be forced to work in the new World Trade Center. By the time the WTC has been rebuilt, our country will have over 300 million people. It's a sure bet that we can find 50,000 people willing to work in the new towers. Maybe we can seize the Kabaa and place it inside the WTC as a sort of insurance policy.

It'd be funny to watch a million Muslims make pilgrimage to the new WTC.

With that said, I suggest that Renzo Piano or Cesar Pelli be chosen to refine the facade of Trump's design.
Archiconnoisseur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #90
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Don't even THINK about comparing Chrysler or Empire State to the [old] World Trade Center. Those 30s era buildings were works of art and have defined the NY skyline for way longer than those 70s-era-build-as-cheap-as-you-can grey boxes. Go find an architect so he can slap you!
It's just a matter of opinion when it comes to buildings.

The Petronas and the Jin Mao building were built way after the World Trade Center, would you say they are NOT works of art because they're so new? I think the World Trade Center was a work of art and I think when people thought of a skyscraper they thought of the World Trade Center, a tall box with a flat top.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #91
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
It's just a matter of opinion when it comes to buildings.

The Petronas and the Jin Mao building were built way after the World Trade Center, would you say they are NOT works of art because they're so new? I think the World Trade Center was a work of art and I think when people thought of a skyscraper they thought of the World Trade Center, a tall box with a flat top.
I'm referring more to the specific era the WTC was built in, when style and artistic integrity was shoved aside in favor of building as large and economical as possible. From an engineering standpoint the WTC was revolutionary in terms of allowing main supports to be moved to the very center and exterior. But as far as design goes, the "minimalist" practice didn't apply in the 30s when Chrysler went up, nor today with Petronas or Taipei 101. I like to think of the WTC of what happens when the engineer has 99% control and the architect gets 1%. As many proud examples of skyscrapers NYC has to offer, it also has a lot of examples of how NOT to build tall, and the old WTC was one of those. Even New Yorkers hated the twins before embracing them after the '93 terrorist attack.

Again, this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree, I'm sure a lot of people will!

Those idiot terrorists did that skyline a FAVOR by knocking down the WTC. What an ugly pair of buildings. I'm glad to see them gone, never to return.

Last edited by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm; May 24th, 2005 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to call the terrorists "idiots"... :-)
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #92
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

the wtc...........
might be ugly..........
but it's the symbol of new york.............
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #93
Justadude

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiconnoisseur
Nobody is going to be forced to work in the new World Trade Center. By the time the WTC has been rebuilt, our country will have over 300 million people. It's a sure bet that we can find 50,000 people willing to work in the new towers.
It's not like they're going to go find local McDonald's workers to fill this tower. Most people who worked on the upper floors of the twins were working for large, important firms. A good number of these employees were important within their own companies, making them some of the most important people in the business world; in fact, it might even be fair to say that the WTC contained the world's largest collection of key businessment under one roof. That being the case, it's a safe bet that most of their companies will move them into the new site in a "show the terrorists who's boss" P.R. move.

Conclusion: The first few weeks of this new tower (whatever it ends up being) are going to be like some kind of huge psychology experiment.

Quote:
Maybe we can seize the Kabaa and place it inside the WTC as a sort of insurance policy.

It'd be funny to watch a million Muslims make pilgrimage to the new WTC.
That's just plain tasteless.
Justadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #94
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Those idiot terrorists did that skyline a FAVOR by knocking down the WTC. What an ugly pair of buildings. I'm glad to see them gone, never to return.
I know I'm going to get hell by saying this, but...if I had to choose which building I would want removed from NY's skyline, it would have to be the ESB.

Obviously, taste plays the main role in whether we think the twins were ugly or not. Personally, I thought their simplicity and height was an absolutely beautiful combination.
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #95
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justadude
That being the case, it's a safe bet that most of their companies will move them into the new site in a "show the terrorists who's boss" P.R. move.
That's a cute fantasy, but corporate clones don't have the balls to follow up with this "show the terrorists who's boss" B.S.

And what's with this "yee-haw" attitude about re-building the twins? Lemme fill you in on something... the terrorists have ALREADY WON!!! You know why? Because the U.S., since that day, has ignored Bin Laden, invaded an islamic nation [Iraq} that didn't attack us, further pissing off over a billion muslims around the globe, and re-elected the worst president in its own history.

Bin Laden's hiding in a cave somewhere alright... laughing and laughing and laughing...
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #96
Candy
Architectural Student

Likes (Received): 2

I too agree with Donald... The new design for the towers really DOES SUCK! And most of the tower can't be used, so it really sucks... The old towers would be a great solution, as that, that they will prove that they are "invincible". The only thing I don't agree with, is the design of the old towers... Their architecture seams PRIMITIVE for our time, so if they could be made more elegant, modernish or with some more "catching" design, they would look great! Maybe they should connect a bridge between the 2 towers, like with the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur (who by the way have a far, far more interesting and beautiful design!). Shortly, I am saying that the towers need to be more than just "two boxes" sticking out in the sky...
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #97
nicholasliha
Pubescent Singaporean

Quote:
That's a cute fantasy, but corporate clones don't have the balls to follow up with this "show the terrorists who's boss" B.S.

And what's with this "yee-haw" attitude about re-building the twins? Lemme fill you in on something... the terrorists have ALREADY WON!!! You know why? Because the U.S., since that day, has ignored Bin Laden, invaded an islamic nation [Iraq} that didn't attack us, further pissing off over a billion muslims around the globe, and re-elected the worst president in its own history.

Bin Laden's hiding in a cave somewhere alright... laughing and laughing and laughing...

you're right. america is behaving like a theocratic capitalist state. ok to amend my sweeping allegation, BUSH is behaving like the head of a theocratic capitalist state. His sectarian chauvinism is very unbecoming of leader of a democratic state, his diplomacy skills are zilch, he acted without the international community's agreement and invaded a country. IMO, its ridiculous that a terrorist strike should warrant such military intervention halfway across the world to constitute an INVASION. Generations down the line will wonder if america ought to be tried for war crimes, perhaps when she no longer dominates popular theories on the legitimacy of her actions. Bush will shoulder the blame for unilateral imperialism and the violation of sovereignty without consensus. And in case southern right wing american thinkers still think that the world is a better place with Saddam gone, then don't forget that today iraqis still die in their homeland the victim of bush's self serving righteousness, rogue states now see WMD possession as trump cards for negotiation (NKorea) and American sympathy is at an all time low.

The horrific reality that history repeats itself will perpetuate if WTC was rebuilt like nothing happened. America will indulge in her imperialist ways and move entire peoples to such horrific excuses for vengeance that the WTC may well see a second 9/11.

"Others are absolutely free; Singaporeans are absolutely not. Freedom is elsewhere." - Simon SC Tay, chairman of the Singapore Institute of International Affairs
nicholasliha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #98
TSAPET

Way to go Trump. The TTs should be rebuilt taller and stronger to serve as a big F U to the terrorists that destroyed them and took many lives in the process. I really don't like this "Freedom Tower" design ...
TSAPET no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #99
Candy
Architectural Student

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasliha
you're right. america is behaving like a theocratic capitalist state. ok to amend my sweeping allegation, BUSH is behaving like the head of a theocratic capitalist state. His sectarian chauvinism is very unbecoming of leader of a democratic state, his diplomacy skills are zilch, he acted without the international community's agreement and invaded a country. IMO, its ridiculous that a terrorist strike should warrant such military intervention halfway across the world to constitute an INVASION. Generations down the line will wonder if america ought to be tried for war crimes, perhaps when she no longer dominates popular theories on the legitimacy of her actions. Bush will shoulder the blame for unilateral imperialism and the violation of sovereignty without consensus. And in case southern right wing american thinkers still think that the world is a better place with Saddam gone, then don't forget that today iraqis still die in their homeland the victim of bush's self serving righteousness, rogue states now see WMD possession as trump cards for negotiation (NKorea) and American sympathy is at an all time low.

The horrific reality that history repeats itself will perpetuate if WTC was rebuilt like nothing happened. America will indulge in her imperialist ways and move entire peoples to such horrific excuses for vengeance that the WTC may well see a second 9/11.
I agree! Bush is NOT a president, but A DICTATOR! They helped stop the NAZIs during world war 2, now they are becoming them... America MUST be controled, WHY do Americans threaten other countries who have nuclear or whatsoever weapons, when they have plenty more themselves!!! ???
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #100
punkstarbassist101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy
I agree! Bush is NOT a president, but A DICTATOR! They helped stop the NAZIs during world war 2, now they are becoming them... America MUST be controled, WHY do Americans threaten other countries who have nuclear or whatsoever weapons, when they have plenty more themselves!!! ???
Because America wants to make sure what happend in Japan in ww2 doesnt happen again. I mean the US did let off those nukes and maybe they're well aware of what they can do. Then again the US still posses nukes, why? I dont know protection? who knows.

Anyway as for Trumps design like others have said they need too look a lot more impressive with bridges etc...

In my opinion if the freedom tower was filled too the top with floors it might look pretty good.
punkstarbassist101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote