SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Another Small Addition To The Discovery District

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Travis007 
#1 ·
The site is on Orde street (south of College St and between University and McCaul, just behind Princess Margaret's hospital) A huge hole has been dug already that looks like it's deep enough for a building 8 storeys or so. They've already started building the foundation already, and a crane is already set up. I can't find anything about this on the internet, and there's not much info being said on the hoarding of the site, so we'll just have to wait and see what's going to go up here.

Also, the empty lot where there used to be a parking garage seems to be turning into some kind of park, public square. It seems appropriate for the site to have something like this.

#2 ·
Travis007 said:
The site is on Orde street (south of College St and between University and McCaul, just behind Princess Margaret's hospital) A huge hole has been dug already that looks like it's deep enough for a building 8 storeys or so. They've already started building the foundation already, and a crane is already set up. I can't find anything about this on the internet, and there's not much info being said on the hoarding of the site, so we'll just have to wait and see what's going to go up here.

Also, the empty lot where there used to be a parking garage seems to be turning into some kind of park, public square. It seems appropriate for the site to have something like this.
Pretty sure that parking garage is becoming a new parking lot. :(

#5 ·

I was hoping for something taller, but this seems like a nice small building.

"The Toronto Centre for Phenogenomics is undergoing construction and scheduled to open in the fall of 2006. This 120,000 square foot facility will be located at 11 Orde Street, Toronto and occupy four floors – two below ground and two above. It will house specialized laboratories for mouse generation and analysis and, when fully occupied, contain approximately 36,000 cages (180,000 mice)."

Wow, that's kind of dangerous if these mice could possibly break out and into the area. :(

#10 ·
Travis007 said:
Huh?
Discovery District is the new name given to the area around University Ave and college Street where all the existing hospitals are. It includes the new MaRS complex, the CCBR, and Pharmacy building, and this.
I'm sorry... apparently I'm smoking crack. I mistook 'discovery' for 'distillery' in the title of the thread, and I totally thought this was being put in the distillery district. :bash:

I have to reclaim some TO credibility here.... thats right across from the Orde St. public school, correct? :)

I was wondering why the hell they'd put this in the distillery disctrict! :nuts:

#12 ·
algonquin said:
I'm sorry... apparently I'm smoking crack. I mistook 'discovery' for 'distillery' in the title of the thread, and I totally thought this was being put in the distillery district. :bash:

I have to reclaim some TO credibility here.... thats right across from the Orde St. public school, correct? :)

I was wondering why the hell they'd put this in the distillery disctrict! :nuts:
Yes, right across from the public school.

"The whole 'district' thing is just a little bland"
Well there really isn't anything to do there. Just a bunch of hospitals and new research buildings. Not what you would expect from a name like "Discovery" district. ;) :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.