SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Downtown Timmins - May 21st

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  ssiguy2 
#1 ·
I went up North to my cousin's in Cochrane for the long weekend, and we took a little trip to Timmins on Saturday afternoon to visit some friends and go to see Star Wars there that evening. I had some time to kill so I took a little walk downtown to get some quick snapshots with my cheap-ass little digicam.

Timmins is about a 4 hour drive North of North Bay and has a population of around 45,000 -- although Timmins' city limits cover an enormous area that actually takes in the former towns of Schumacher, Porcupine and South Porcupine -- as well as a bunch of little rural hamlets scattered around the area. The population of Timmins proper is a little over 30,000. I found it to be a somewhat tough looking town in and around the downtown area.

Here's Downtown Timmins:

See less See more
#6 ·
I think Steeltown meant desert. In some of those images, Timmins looks like a much older city than some I have been to in Southern Ontario, looks a bit like St. Thomas. Timmins at one time used to be the largest city in LAND AREA in Canada, I think, and it still might be today. As well, it is SHANIA TWAIN's hometown, although she was born in Windsor.

Hmm, two pizza places right next to each other... :)

#9 ·
Glad to see some pics of my hometown...yeah, Timmins proper is about 31,000, but adding in South Porcupine, Porcupine, Schumacher, Mountjoy, etc. we're about 44,000. It's kind of sad though, we lost 4,000 people from 1996 to 2001, and North Bay was the only city in the North that grew. Hopefully things will improve, with the new library/health centre and athletic complex...Timmins hasn't seen anything big built for a while now.

#12 · (Edited)
Doady
Your an idiot , these are all desert City's . How dare you insult someone who is correct when it is quite apperent you dont know what the hell you are talking about at all. Learn a bit about the rest of Canada before you go shooting your mouth off, your ignorant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.