daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #1
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

NYC : A new Look for a 38 story art deco tower...Downtown Athletic Club, 534 ft tall

A new Look for a 38 story art deco tower...

The singer and Bassuk Organization has arranged a $92 million construction loan for 20 West Street, the former home of the Downtown Athletic club. This rendering shows new look for the 38 -story office tower after its conversion into luxery apartments by The Moinian Group.

Rendering...

Current state:

Designated a NYC Landmark, November 14, 2000

Brief history:

20 west Street-
Architects : Starret & Van Vleek, 1930

Extremely tall and narrow 38 story tower, 534 feet tall, this 38-story, Art Deco skyscraper opened in 1930 as the Downtown Athletic Club.

A membership association geared toward businessmen and lawyers who worked in lower Manhattan, the Downtown Athletic Club was founded in 1926. By 1927 it had purchased this site next to the Hudson River to construct its own building.

The high cost of land necessitated a tall building, and the relatively small lot size dictated that the different functions and facilities of the club, including swimming pool, gymnasium, miniature golf course, squash, and tennis courts, as well as dining rooms and living quarters, be accommodated on separate floors.

The Downtown Athletic Club became most famous as the home of the Heisman Trophy, given every year to the most outstanding college football player, and named after John Heisman, the club's first athletic director. The prolific architectural firm of Starrett & Van Vleck designed the building.

The same firm created the neighboring tower at 21 West Street (a designated New York City Landmark), with which the Club shares its Modernistic style and skillfully applied brickwork.

The boxy shape and variety of setbacks in the Downtown Athletic Club Building demonstrate the effects of the 1916 Building Zone Resolution, but also give some indication of the various purposes assigned to different sections of the building. The architects juxtaposed the simple massing of the building with stylized, theater-like entrance prosceniums on both facades and a dextrous use of flat and angled brick, creating a dramatic addition to the city's skyline.

The powerful chevron motifs in the rectangular areas over the entrances and in the spandrels between the windows of the upper stories are a variation of a common design theme of the period, reflective of the speed and energy of the Jazz Age.

the top 15 floors are dedicated to a 111 room hotel.

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; May 25th, 2005 at 08:03 AM.
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #2
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

This building is celebrated by Rem Koolhaas in Delirious New York as being THE example of the culture of congestion. It's sad that it will now become an 'ordinary' residential building.
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #3
TowersNYC
Carlos V

^ Agreee baby strollers yuk!

I Love NY
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #4
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

That was one of my diagram buildings at skyscraperpage until I demanded they take all my drawings off.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #5
NY1

Likes (Received): 0

every damn building in NY is being converted to condos. Let's not forget that NYC is first a huge finanvial center!
NY1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #6
AJphx

Likes (Received): 9

Are they going to keep the sports facilities in the building?
AJphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #7
TowersNYC
Carlos V

^ NO

all residential!

I Love NY
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #8
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLtd
That was one of my diagram buildings at skyscraperpage until I demanded they take all my drawings off.
why did u demanded that???

I Love NY
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #9
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

No more condo's!!!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote