daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #201
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 799

Interior design looks fascinating and modern. can't wait to see it real.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #202
BKKinTO
More than you know

Likes (Received): 1

Me too..hope i can see when i go back next year.
BKKinTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #203
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

love the night shots

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #204
KENDO

Likes (Received): 231

New Bangkok Airport To Open In June 2006
September 29, 2005

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1127998126.html
Wednesday October 12, 2005

Bangkok's new airport will be ready by June next year, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Thursday at the "soft opening" of a project marred by graft scandals, delays and design problems.

Thaksin, joined by an entourage of ministers, VIP guests and journalists, flew into the USD$3.7 billion Suvarnabhumi International Airport two years after his government had pledged it would be ready to handle 45 million travellers a year.

"We will commercially open around the end of June. That is the plan," Thaksin told 1,000 guests at a ceremony televised nationwide from the airport built on a swamp about 25 km (15 miles) east of the city.

Suvarnabhumi, touted as a rival to world-class airports in Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur, will replace the ageing Don Muang Airport, Asia's second busiest airport last year after Tokyo's Haneda, handling some 38 million passengers.

Covering 3,200 hectares (7,900 acres) and boasting the world's tallest control tower and two runways, Suvarnabhumi will be the largest in Asia with a capacity eventually doubling to 100 million passengers.

But controversy has dogged the new airport which has had many false starts since it was first proposed more than 40 years ago.

Allegations of corruption, denied by the government, have swirled around the purchase of 26 bomb-sniffing baggage scanners.

The opposition Democrat Party, which labelled the ceremony a publicity stunt and refused an invitation to attend, has published a booklet listing the graft allegations. "The Suvarnabhumi project should be the pride and joy of the country, but the corruption elements bring shame to it," party executive Sirichok Sopa told the ThaiDay newspaper.

"We do not want the public to be misled into forgetting".

But there was no such talk at Suvarnabhumi, where Thaksin pronounced his satisfaction as he toured the massive steel-and-glass building that resembles a long, tubed pastry.

The event, which included a flypast by Air Force F-16 fighters, was necessary to prod officials and contractors to complete the airport as quickly as possible, Thaksin said.

"Many people are competing to be the hub for Asia and we can't wait," he said of Thailand's bid to become a regional air hub for tourist and business travellers.

"If we didn't set this date then it would slip further and cost the country more," Thaksin said, playing down the concerns of foreign airlines who fear the airport will be overwhelmed when it finally opens.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA), an airline lobby group, says the airport must double its 51 gates, only five of them for the new superjumbo Airbus A380.

IATA, which also wants more luggage scanners and fewer security checkpoints to avoid flight delays, says it has tried to meet airport authorities since May to talk abut its concerns, but without success.

Thaksin said a firm opening date would be set next month after which the government would consult with airlines.

(Reuters)
KENDO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #205
KENDO

sorry I 'm MISTAKE
THAT NEWS FROM September 29, 2005
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #206
BKKinTO
More than you know

Good that they prepared for the superjumbo plane gates.
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #207
KENDO

pic from
http://www.bangkokairport.co.th/en/weekly1en.php

Old October 14th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #208
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Stunned!!!
Old October 15th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #209
BKKinTO
More than you know

Looks better and nicer everytime ..Thanks Kendo..
Old October 15th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #210
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1179

Looks totally stunning. What a great airport it will be.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #211
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3688

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENDO
[IMG][/IMG]

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #212
BKKinTO
More than you know

yeah..very nice at night..
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #213
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Oh! My Gosh, I am speechless.
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #214
absent-minded

Likes (Received): 0

the new BKK looks stunning... so jealous. NAIA-3 is almost nothing compared to NBIA, and they can't even get it opened up yet.

I think the chairs, the flooring, and the faux palm trees are the only things that ruin the design at the NBIA.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #215
Sumeet

Location: Hong Kong (HK) : Bangkok (TH) : Melbourne (Aus) : Dubai (UAE)

My friend is in charge of the lighting contract for the new airport, from the neon lights u can see in the pics above, that entire area was actually supposed to have fibre optics lines running across those metal beams.....however 'they ran out of money' so that idea was scraped. I remember on the 29th of Sept when Thaksin said 'we do under budget'.....id like to tell him now.....looks kinda shitty sir.....they cutting costs in all the wrong ways.
Sumeet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #216
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

woah... so it would have had like... color-changing glittering lights?

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #217
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeet
My friend is in charge of the lighting contract for the new airport, from the neon lights u can see in the pics above, that entire area was actually supposed to have fibre optics lines running across those metal beams.....however 'they ran out of money' so that idea was scraped. I remember on the 29th of Sept when Thaksin said 'we do under budget'.....id like to tell him now.....looks kinda shitty sir.....they cutting costs in all the wrong ways.
Oh! no!. What a pity!!!
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #218
absent-minded

Quote:
I was wondering why the lights were like that... they seem so exposed, and so cheap. and they look sort of retarded the way they're not long strips running the entire length of each beam.
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #219
Chicago Hokie

Quote:
Your friend is wrong. The blue lights for the supertrusses are in fact blue fluorescent tubes, not neon. There is a thin blue line at the wingtip edge, which is neon. There has never been fiberoptic lighting in the roof at any stage of the project.
Chicago Hokie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #220
Hitesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Hokie
Your friend is wrong. The blue lights for the supertrusses are in fact blue fluorescent tubes, not neon. There is a thin blue line at the wingtip edge, which is neon. There has never been fiberoptic lighting in the roof at any stage of the project.
He's not talking about the lights on the super trusses. He is referring to the neon lights they have installed in the concourse intersections. It's the last photo in post #207
Hitesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, bangkok, south asian hub airport, suvarnabhumi airport, thailand