daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #241
UMD

Likes (Received): 801

I am so glad that they don't carpet this airport. The carpet at Dong Muang smells big time and it is getting worse.

Maybe it is because it is not yet open, but the interior pictures that I saw from the other thread (taken during the technical testing) showed the interior to be a bid brownish and not as bright as I would have expected. I hope this is only the quality of the picture and not the quality of the cheap granite or marble used for the terminal. However, this is a great achievement for BKK to have a new International airport. Now, please open this airport soon and maintain it this way.
UMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #242
Zoowatch
Serving the Country

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD
I am so glad that they don't carpet this airport. The carpet at Dong Muang smells big time and it is getting worse.

Maybe it is because it is not yet open, but the interior pictures that I saw from the other thread (taken during the technical testing) showed the interior to be a bid brownish and not as bright as I would have expected. I hope this is only the quality of the picture and not the quality of the cheap granite or marble used for the terminal. However, this is a great achievement for BKK to have a new International airport. Now, please open this airport soon and maintain it this way.
what you see in those photos aren't 100% complete yet

there's still a lot of interior, lighting works and many decorations here and there... all waiting to be done
in fact, none of the interior work has actually begun when the photos were taken (30 Sept 2005).
they will clean the canvas and glass windows once all of the heavy / dirty works close to the airport terminal are completed.
construction of the 3rd runway is going on hence the dust / dirt. (the first 2 runways are finished)

from my understanding, they won't carpet the whole airport because the this airport uses under-floor coolin system. probably only in transit lounge, check-in area, gates, duty-free sales area...

the quality of the some of the photos don't really do justice to the airport. when you see it with your own eyes, it looks a lot better.

i am also waiting to see the final result when it is open to public in the middle of next year... hopefully it turns out well.

we are aware that Don Muang is in a rather sorry state too...
but considering that the airport terminal is many decades old (about 40 to 50 years) while the airport itself was built in 1917, it is understandable that things are falling apart today.

in fact, there have been little or no upgrading works going on there since 2003 because all air traffic (except private jets / military planes) will move to Suvarnabhumi next year.
Thais don't usually carpet their office / home because of our tropical climate. Besides, our furniture make use of less amount of upholstry when compared to those found in the West.
Hence, you rarely really see carpets in public areas.
Rather, we use marble, wood and tiles to keep these places cool.

Last edited by Zoowatch; November 6th, 2005 at 03:20 PM.
Zoowatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #243
UMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoowatch
what you see in those photos aren't 100% complete yet

there's still a lot of interior, lighting works and many decorations here and there... all waiting to be done
in fact, none of the interior work has actually begun when the photos were taken (30 Sept 2005).
they will clean the canvas and glass windows once all of the heavy / dirty works close to the airport terminal are completed.
construction of the 3rd runway is going on hence the dust / dirt. (the first 2 runways are finished)

from my understanding, they won't carpet the whole airport because the this airport uses under-floor coolin system. probably only in transit lounge, check-in area, gates, duty-free sales area...

the quality of the some of the photos don't really do justice to the airport. when you see it with your own eyes, it looks a lot better.

i am also waiting to see the final result when it is open to public in the middle of next year... hopefully it turns out well.

we are aware that Don Muang is in a rather sorry state too...
but considering that the airport terminal is many decades old (about 40 to 50 years) while the airport itself was built in 1917, it is understandable that things are falling apart today.

in fact, there have been little or no upgrading works going on there since 2003 because all air traffic (except private jets / military planes) will move to Suvarnabhumi next year.
Thais don't usually carpet their office / home because of our tropical climate. Besides, our furniture make use of less amount of upholstry when compared to those found in the West.
Hence, you rarely really see carpets in public areas.
Rather, we use marble, wood and tiles to keep these places cool.
I agree. Let's wait. After all, BKK is one of my favourite cities to visit and I can't wait to use the facilities at the new airport. The only drawback now is that Dong Muang is old, smelly, and inefficient. Immigration through Dong Muang can take ages especially when you arrive towards midnight. BKK traffic, apparantely, is quite heavy during that part of the night.
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #244
Zoowatch
Serving the Country

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD
I agree. Let's wait. After all, BKK is one of my favourite cities to visit and I can't wait to use the facilities at the new airport. The only drawback now is that Dong Muang is old, smelly, and inefficient. Immigration through Dong Muang can take ages especially when you arrive towards midnight. BKK traffic, apparantely, is quite heavy during that part of the night.
talking about traffic...

expect the transport link to be a lot better than Don Muang
there are 2 main routes which lead you directly into the city, both of which are 6 or 8-lane expressway (tolled).

in late 2007 the high-speed rail link should be up and running, allowing passengers a quick 15-minute journey from the airport to the city centre, linking the skytrain and the subway. this Light Red line is currently underconstruction, but 2 to 3 months delay is expected.

there will be 11 local bus routes plus a few Suvarnabhumi Express services(limited stop bus service shutting between the city and the airport)

while Don Muang is 18 km away to the North, the new airport is about 24 km east of the city (distance by road)... traffic around there is generally much lighter than the road outside Don Muang...
Zoowatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #245
UMD

Quote:
talking about traffic...

there are 2 main routes which lead you directly into the city, both of which are 6 or 8-lane expressway (tolled).

in late 2007 the high-speed rail link should be up and running, allowing passengers a quick 15-minute journey from the airport to the city centre, linking the skytrain and the subway. this Light Red line is currently underconstruction, but 2 to 3 months delay is expected.

there will be 11 local bus routes plus a few Suvarnabhumi Express services(limited stop bus service shutting between the city and the airport)

while Don Muang is 18 km away to the North, the new airport is about 24 km east of the city (distance by road)... traffic around there is generally much lighter than the road outside Don Muang...
Well, it looks like it is all good news from here. Hi-speed rail link should be great and I hope it will also connect us to any one of the BTS stations in the city.
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #246
Subangite

Likes (Received): 0

The new airport sounds FANTASTIC!! can't wait for its opening!!
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #247
cHemon

Likes (Received): 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD
Well, it looks like it is all good news from here. Hi-speed rail link should be great and I hope it will also connect us to any one of the BTS stations in the city.
It will connect to Petchaburi subway station and Phayathai skytrain station.
cHemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #248
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHemon
It will connect to Petchaburi subway station and Phayathai skytrain station.
At that time, I guess The Phayathai skytrain station will be one of the busiest stations of all.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #249
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Quote:
talking about traffic...

Well, Traffic condition in BKK is one of many things that we can't underestimate. Even we will have more than 2 main routes( actually 5 routes or more) linking New airport to the city but when we consider the size of The new airport ( 10 times bigger than Don Mung), sure there are many many more people , more vehicles, more traffics and don't you forget that some routes are used as the main road to the eastern part of Thailand ( Pattaya, Sriracha, Chonburi, Rayong, Sattaheep, Maptaput etc..) so the result is inevitably more traffics, more vehicles. I am afraid that this will bring a great chaotic traffic jam once the Airport be opened. Anyway, The High speed train would help ease traffic for sure but how much is a thing that we need to discuss later.
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #250
dave_chanh

As for now, I think the traffic along the Motorway isn't that light, I used to drive on that route quite often, during some hours the traffic can get bad, especially when there is an accident on the road, just one car crashed into the sideway, caused the hell of a traffic night mare!! I was stuck there for quite some time!
Despite having more traffic lanes on the Motorway than that on Viphavadi Rd. don't really help much, because there is no expressway along that route, unless you get to the Rama 9 junction where a connection to the expressway begins, unlike on Viphavadi where the expressway continues all the way to Rangsit-Phatomthanee, and having said that, the traffic on Viphavadi Rd. isn't that good!
So, you can imagine for yourself what the traffic in that area will be like once the new airport opens.
dave_chanh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #251
Ten
== Lord of Skeleton ==

Likes (Received): 213

Ten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #252
Ten
== Lord of Skeleton ==

Old November 8th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #253
Ten
== Lord of Skeleton ==

Old November 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #254
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3684

FARK !!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #255
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_chanh
As for now, I think the traffic along the Motorway isn't that light, I used to drive on that route quite often, during some hours the traffic can get bad, especially when there is an accident on the road, just one car crashed into the sideway, caused the hell of a traffic night mare!! I was stuck there for quite some time!
Despite having more traffic lanes on the Motorway than that on Viphavadi Rd. don't really help much, because there is no expressway along that route, unless you get to the Rama 9 junction where a connection to the expressway begins, unlike on Viphavadi where the expressway continues all the way to Rangsit-Phatomthanee, and having said that, the traffic on Viphavadi Rd. isn't that good!
So, you can imagine for yourself what the traffic in that area will be like once the new airport opens.
That's what absolutely I am about to say!!!. Can't agree with you more.
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #256
Mosaic
BANGKOK

It looks modern and high-tech, futuristic and efficiency.
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #257
BKKinTO
More than you know

Likes (Received): 1

thanks for the pics,Ten!
BKKinTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #258
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten
The blue light reflections look awsome!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #259
dave_chanh

Yeah, the lighting is really fantastic! Well.. we usually see people pay more attention to the interior lighting of an airport than the exterior, but this exterior lighting in BKK airport is really something unique and unlike anywhere I've seen. Since the roof of the concourse is made of such fabric, so they could do a lot with the lighting on it. I wish there will be some kind of changing, moving, lighting reflection(with different colours) on that fabric as well, like some often seen in modern pubs and discos. It will be so cool!!
dave_chanh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #260
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Is the airport officially called Suvarnabhumi or just simply BKIA? The Thai name is very hard to pronounce for foreigners. Just wondering.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, bangkok, south asian hub airport, suvarnabhumi airport, thailand