daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #1081
Pas

Likes (Received): 2

Example of detailed design from a book called "Helmut Jahn - Transparency / Transparenz" by Werner Blaser (1996), published by Birkhauser Verlag.

Pas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #1082
Pas

Here's an example of 'superior' material specifications that some biaise newspaper wont report

http://www.dupont.com/safetyglass/lg...ok_airport.pdf
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #1083
Pas

The architect Helmut Jahn giving presentation about the new airport:

tour of the airport by those attending 2006 Holcim Foundation for Sustainable Construction Global Award

more pics
http://www.holcimfoundation.org/medi...sitevisit.html
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #1084
Pas

An article about the new airport in the current issue of Travel+Leisure magazine.

Old January 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #1085
Pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanB View Post
Here are the latest comments from pax using this airport off Skytrax.

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport by Richard Hoskins
3 January 2007

It is worse than the old BKK Don Muang. The floor looks almost as old even though this airport is "new". Appalled that there are bus gates at a brand new airport! Getting around this airport is a big problem - vast distances to cover, but the actual walkways make you feel like you're cramped/there isn't enough room. Choke points all over the place. The whole place feels cold - no carpets, no padding on the (inadequate) seats, bare unpainted concrete, holes in the floor. Metal walkways in areas designed to break the luggage carts - many of which don't work already.

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport by James Halley
31 December 2006

I transit BKK to/from CNX every few weeks. Domestic flights are always Aisle A or B. Connecting flights always C onwards. Signage is simply awful or confusing at best. Someone is going to be seriously injured thanks to the floor surface. The gents toilets nearest the domestic gates are a joke. Is this a woman's revenge for the queuing they do. I noted a long line on deplaning from the CNX flight. I took a look to find that there was ONE (yes ONE) urinal. What idiot designed this. Or was this done just to fill a gap in the wall? I recently made (the idiotic) decision not to go into town after my late arrival on UA (2335) and I took the first flight to CNX the following morning at 0625. This meant over 6 hours at the airport. I had expected to spend it in the TG lounge. It closes between 0100 and 0500. But it gave me a chance to see that the airport is still a construction site. The calm of the night was broken constantly by the sound of electric drills and hammers. Now there are rumours that parts of the airport will be closed down section by section for repairs. If they keep this up I shall fly CNX-SIN with Silk Air and bypass BKK altogether. TG really stick it to you if you are connecting from a non-TG flight to a domestic destination. Getting a boarding pass out of them is red tape gone wild. And its not a lot better outbound either. I tried to get an SQ boarding pass from TG as a star alliance partner. No - you have to wait for the rep from SQ.

It must be noted that not all comments are bad, when an airport as large and supposedly modern as this is built then obviously there will be quite a few good points. However the problems outlined above by pax dont seem like mere teething problems like a lot of the Thai forumers seem to be suggesting here, they are very fundamental problems.

But hey at least the authorites are doing something about it i guess thats the main thing at the end of the day.
Comments like 'the whole places feel cold' 'the walkway too narrow' etc etc
are these teething problems that justified the airport to be closed down?

When you look at the title of this thread "Bangkok's new airport may faces partial closure due to poor construction".. what is the first thing that comes to mind?
reading about these little complaints, do you think that is a fair assessment of the overall situation?

Since the airport was open for only 3 months I'm sure these little problems are being attended to, for example insufficient toilets - new ones are being installed. Believe me I'm not against any criticisms, just that some of comments are likely blown out off proportion.
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #1086
wafu21m
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

i want to go to thailand
wafu21m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #1087
Pas

cool.. I'm going there in 3 weeks.

Anyway there are many other ppl from the Thai forum (especially those who visited the airport during construction) who could probably provide more details if anyone is interested in finding out more about this airport.
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #1088
HasanB

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pas View Post
Comments like 'the whole places feel cold' 'the walkway too narrow' etc etc
are these teething problems that justified the airport to be closed down?

When you look at the title of this thread "Bangkok's new airport may faces partial closure due to poor construction".. what is the first thing that comes to mind?
reading about these little complaints, do you think that is a fair assessment of the overall situation?

Since the airport was open for only 3 months I'm sure these little problems are being attended to, for example insufficient toilets - new ones are being installed. Believe me I'm not against any criticisms, just that some of comments are likely blown out off proportion.
Well if people think the whole structure is going to come crashing down or something, then no its not a fair assessment, that would just be stupid really.

HasanB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #1089
Hitesh

Likes (Received): 1

Pas it is understandable that as a Thai born architect you would feel passionately for our new airport.
However, please try to take an extensive tour of the facility when you are back in the Kingdom in a few weeks.
The designs are brilliant on paper. The final product...not so much. That is my opinion. I would love to hear your opinions after you have walked through Suvarnabhumi.
Hitesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #1090
FrancisXavier
long live...

Likes (Received): 4

well, they just have to repair, then continue utilizing the facility.
FrancisXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1091
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

wafu21m

i want to go to thailand

Then go! Thats what I did...Been back 6 times and Im going in March Again!
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #1092
HasanB

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
wafu21m

i want to go to thailand

Then go! Thats what I did...Been back 6 times and Im going in March Again!
EK 413 eh? where does that flight go to then??

HasanB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1093
Tornado
Backpacker Tornado

Likes (Received): 8

Comparing bKK to many airports in the world. Bangkok airport will rank one of the best looking in the world.
its newly opened... very new.. things will get better soon.

can't expect perfect services and smooth operation from something new .. wait a little Bangkok will show the world aviation how great it is.

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #1094
Tornado
Backpacker Tornado

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1095
Tornado
Backpacker Tornado

http://images.warodom.multiply.com/i...i%2C0qPWcC1Org

as the topic has mentioned it might face the partial close.. from my opinion..

maybe only a little part to fix... Look at the pix.. it is not that bad

I love its design

If it works well on the paper design.. logically it should work well with real life.
the airport might need a better management. some constructions still going on and the stafss also new to the systems and place. will get better will get better soon.
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #1096
Tornado
Backpacker Tornado

Bangkok skyline photo..

the growth of Thailand and its capital Bangkok is steadily growing.
BAngkok ariport will play as an integral part to drive the economy.
therefore , Bangkok airport will not be left in a lost face condition.

the aviation rival Malaysia , Dubai , Singapore , HK all trying to improve its services , infra.. Don't worry Bangkok is also doing the same.
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #1097
Misscoke

Likes (Received): 0

So far, some passengers are not satisfied at Suvarnabhumi Airport since it lacked of some facilities and limited toilets. I dont' worry about this so AoT still takes care of these many problems. So, these problems will be fixed into the airport and still continue utilitizing facilities before this mid of the year 2007. Low cost airlines will be moving back to old Airport (Don Meung) this March soon because new airport is defer plans expansion terminal for low cost airline. Save more cost to extend more time and focus on problems first to be solved!!

I believe this Suvarnabhumi Airport will be the best rank in the world within 5 years later when express subway will be linked to airport and more facilities will be ready better provided in more smooth... All international airports never beat Suvarnabhumi again!!
Misscoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #1098
UMD

Likes (Received): 801

Please don't miss the point....Suvarnabhumi is a good looking airport....but it does not function very well as airport due to its design. And no, it is not just the lacking of toilets and confusing signage, it has something to do with the flow of the airport. You have to experience the airport to know the faulty design of this airport. Unless some re-designing was done especially to fix the narrow corridors leading up to boarding gates, the metal floorings leading towards the jetways and some parts of the terminal, and the air conditioning systems, I don't believe it will function very well as airport in terms of comfort.

All pictures on Suvarnabhumi looks good but if you pay attention to all the beams and how they wielded, the leakings in some parts of terminal, and the dangerously uneven flooring, you will notice the bad workmanship and that is why Suvarnabhumi is such a let down.

Also, this airport is not designed very well for cleaning... When I was there last month, I could spot at least 10 cobwebs around the airport and I wasn't even searching for it. I guess that is another challenge for AOT.
UMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #1099
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanB View Post
EK 413 eh? where does that flight go to then??

Sadly DXB

I want to change my nick to EK419!!!
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1100
sharpie20
Wlis

Likes (Received): 4

Do things like this happen often in thailand and other South East Asian countries. Or maybe this could be related to the military take over of the country's government, is that why this airport's building progress is going so bad?
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, bangkok, south asian hub airport, suvarnabhumi airport, thailand