daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #1701
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

Likes (Received): 4458

2nd phase development to be finished one year ahead

The Nation December 15, 2011 2:41 pm

The Airports of Thailand (AOT) is to speed up the second phase expansion of Suvarnabhumi Airport to 2016, one year ahead of its scheduled completion in 2017.

The Bt62.5 billion investment is being planned for the second phase, according to Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat. The ministry plans to strengthen Suvarnabhumi Airport’s position as the region's aviation hub.

Acting Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdipol said the expansion of Thailand's gateway would lead to AOT suffering from a lack of liquidity from 2014. The company plans to issue bonds and debentures to help solve the problem.

Sukampol said that the AOT will develop Don Mueang Airport, mainly used for domestic flights, in cooperation with Thai Airways International as a maintenance centre and aviation industry hub. However, the airport will continue to service chartered flights and private jets.

In terms of the rehabilitation works being carried out at Don Mueang Airport following this year's floods, the fixing of the eastern runway is scheduled for completion by February at a cost of Bt489 million while Bt1.25 billion is being spent to restore the western runway, which should be operational in January.

Sukampol said that the ministry has also instructed AOT to develop Phuket International Airport and has allocated a budget of Bt5.7 billion. An additional passenger terminal will be built and the three-kilometre runway will be extended by another 500-700 metres to accommodate large aircraft from Europe.

When finished in a few years from now, Phuket airport will be able to accommodate 12 million passengers per annum, nearly doubling its existing capacity of 6.5 million passengers annually.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30171926.html
napoleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM   #1702
Go Ahead Eagles

Likes (Received): 1171

Oman Air unveils its newest Business Class lounge at Bangkok airport

By A Staff Reporter -
MUSCAT — Oman Air, the national carrier of the Sultanate of Oman, has unveiled its newest Business Class lounge at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok, Thailand.
The lounge which is conveniently located at the second floor junction between concourses G and E of the International terminal will offer its passengers flying in First and Business Class on Oman Air with its “award winning” service and hospitality as found on board all of its aircraft.

http://main.omanobserver.om/node/76056
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1703
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

Traffic to surge by more than 28% during holiday

Published: 30/12/2011 at 12:00 AM

Passenger traffic through Suvarnabhumi airport during the festive season from Dec 25 to Jan 5 looks set to surge by more than 28% year-on-year, making the facility even more crowded.

Anirut Thanomkulbutra, the president of Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT), said that the passenger volume during the 12-day period at Bangkok's international airport is forecast to top 2.1 million, or 166,000 to 186,000 a day, compared with 130,000 to 150,000 in the same period last year.

Pushing up the numbers are incremental travel in the holiday season as well as domestic traffic transferred from Don Mueang airport, closed since Oct 25 amid the country's worst flooding in 69 years.

International passenger traffic through Suvarnabhumi during the period is expected to rise by 24.2% year-on-year, while the number of domestic passengers is projected to soar by almost 35%.

Nineteen scheduled airlines and charter operators sought to run 202 additional flights during the period.

The busiest day for Suvarnabhumi during the current festive season was Dec 29 when the most number of flights were operated.

Jan 2 is also expected to be a particularly busy day.

The extra traffic during the holiday season will further push Suvarnabhumi beyond its annual 45-million-passenger capacity.

Phuket, the country's second busiest airport in terms of passenger numbers and also operated by the AoT, will be facing a similar situation because of extra traffic added to its already congested facility.

Phuket Airport handles more than 6.5 million passengers a year _ its current capacity.

The 5.79-billion-baht expansion of the resort island's airport, which will enable it to deal with 12.5 million passengers a year, is expected to be completed in 2014.

The AoT's Chiang Mai Airport would be busier than usual, driven by incremental holiday travel, both from within the country and overseas, but it still has ample capacity to deal with the temporary surge.

Security and passenger amenities have been beefed up at AoT airports to cope with the increased traffic.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...during-holiday
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1704
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greatph...n/photostream/
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #1705
TheWestWing

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich dweller View Post
Bangkok displaces HK as major hub airport

Bangkok and Dubai dominate growth among major hub airports, according to the latest statistics from OAG, a UBM Aviation brand.

The world's airlines have scheduled 2.883 per cent more capacity on 1.86 per cent more flights this month, marking the eighth consecutive month of growth compared to the same period last year, the OAG reported.

The OAG Facts (Frequency and Capacity Trend Statistics) report for January reveals that average seats per flight total 126, compared to 125 a year ago, in a continued trend of airlines deploying next-generation aircraft such as A380s, B777-300ERs or B737-800s, especially in slot-constrained airports.

In seat capacity terms, Bangkok overtook Hong Kong as the sixth-largest seat-capacity provider with 14.44 per cent year on year growth to 6,329,628 seats, and similarly, Dubai overtook Los Angeles for the eighth position with 12.26-per-cent year on year growth to 6,245,461 seats.

Atlanta remained the largest airport in the world by both schedule frequency and seat capacity, although schedule frequency declined by 3.17 per cent while seat capacity shed 1.51 per cent compared to the same period last year.

In seat capacity terms, Beijing has cemented its position as the second-largest provider in the world, with 8,449,273 seats offered, a remarkable 4.06-per-cent growth over the corresponding period last year.

Beijing is also pulling away from its nearest competitor London Heathrow, almost doubling its seat capacity variance from 323,690 seats last year to 612,732 seats this year.

Beijing is also quickly catching up on schedule frequency, with 2.67-per-cent year on year growth, the second strongest annual growth rate behind Los Angeles. Beijing and Los Angeles are the only two airports that recorded growth in schedule frequency among the top 10 airports globally.

Regionally, the gap between the Asia-Pacific and North America intra-region markets has further widened, with Asia-Pacific now recording 39 per cent more intra-region seat capacity compared to North America. Schedule frequency and seat capacity to/from Asia-Pacific increased by 7.29 per cent and 6.29 per cent respectively against the same period last year.

Also noteworthy is that international seat capacity to/from Japan has been restored to the pre-earthquake/tsunami level.

"Within Central and South America" was the only region to record double-digit year on year growth in both schedule frequency and seat capacity, and the Middle East region grew schedule frequency and seat capacity 9.08 per cent and 9.24 per cent respectively.

"Asia-Pacific continues its remarkable growth, and the full recovery in Japan is evidence of the market's strength and a wonderful way to begin 2012.

"However, the Asia-Pacific aviation market faces challenges to maintaining growth due to highly constrained airports in some major hubs, namely Beijing, which is poised to overtake Atlanta as the world's largest airport this year," said John Grant, executive vice president of UBM Aviation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30173560.html
TheWestWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1706
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

AoT's concession-bundling idea sits poorly with Mjets

Published: 13/01/2012 at 12:00 AM

Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) plans to bundle the concession rights for firms to build and operate private jet terminals at Phuket and Chiang Mai airports.

The plan is being mooted to ensure that the proposed terminal in Chiang Mai _ seen as not economically viable, at least for the near future _ takes off at the same time as a similar facility in Phuket.

The package deal forms part of a new strategy to put long-delayed plans in place for private jet terminals in the two cities.

AoT executives said preparation of terms for the invitation to bid for bundled concession rights to run both facilities is in progress and will be submitted to AoT's board for approval soon.

But some potential bidders such as Mjets, the country's largest private terminal operator, reacted unfavourably to the plan to bundle the bids because it restricts their choice of investment.

"There should be separate bids for Phuket and Chiang Mai," Mjets executive chairman Jaiyavat Navaraj told the Bangkok Post.

He said he was unsure whether the bundled bids would be of interest to bidders amid doubts that private jet traffic in Chiang Mai could sustain the business.

"In general, we see that the volume in Chiang Mai does not justify a business case," Mr Jaiyavat said.

Mjets, controlled by Minor Group tycoon Bill Heinecke, has expressed keen interest in the rights to set up a facility in Phuket since last year.

Asked whether Mjets would back out if AoT insisted on the bid-bundling approach, Mr Jaiyavat said Phuket remains the firm's target but did not rule out embracing Chiang Mai if there were sufficient incentives.

Mjets has already obtained a five-year concession to operate Thailand's first private jet terminal at Don Mueang airport in Bangkok.

But the facility, which began operation in March 2010, was devastated by the floods that shut down the entire airport last Oct 25.

While Mjets is operating on a limited scale at Suvarnabhumi airport, it faces several restrictions.

Because of congestion, private jets are not allowed to park at Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok's international airport, for more than four hours, forcing those aircraft to transfer to other airports like the Navy-operated U-tapao for long-term parking.

AoT executives said the concession period for the Phuket and Chiang Mai private jet terminals may last "more than five years" to allow time for bidders to build their business case.

Space has been constrained at Phuket airport, which is currently undergoing a major expansion. Accommodating a private jet terminal at Chiang Mai has no such problem.

AoT has a 50-million-baht plan to prepare the site at the southern end of Chiang Mai airport for the proposed private jet terminal including relocating some buildings and constructing a service road and taxiways.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...rly-with-mjets
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1707
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishywa...n/photostream/
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1708
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

By-->Hint
http://www.pixtrang.com/board/index....7&topic=49.825
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1709
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterni...n/photostream/
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1710
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 987

Used BKK 3 times on my recent trip to Thailand. Great airport! Though I still rate HKG better.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #1711
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

New B90 security charge planned for Thai airports

Published: 26/01/2012 at 12:00 AM

Passengers at major Thai airports will soon have to pay an additional security charge to cover the cost of examining and screening personal information of incoming and outgoing travellers.

A fee of 90 baht per passenger will be levied to cover the cost of an advanced passenger information system (APPS), which will be put in place at airports with international flights.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT), which operates the country's six main airports including Suvarnabhumi, last week endorsed the APPS charge as it gears up the security measures.

The electronic data interchange system allows AoT to transmit passenger identification details from passports and flight information to all airport authorities to check whether passengers should be allowed to leave or enter the country.

The information also allows commercial airlines to know whether they should allow passengers to check-in for flights before departure.

Suvarnabhumi director Somchai Sawasdeepon said that APPS will streamline passenger flows and enhance safety.

The introduction of APPS is pending approval from the Transport Ministry, Thai security agencies and the cabinet.

AoT still needs to invest in the system, which is expected to go online in the next six months or so, said Mr Somchai.

The system is similar to one applied in the United States in December 2008 and followed by Europe and Australia.

Commercial airlines will be responsible for collecting the APPS fee on behalf of AoT, and carriers will likely pass the charge on to individual passengers.

Passengers using AoT-operated airports will also face a higher passenger service charge (PSC), or airport tax.

The PSC for international flights is expected to rise to 800 baht per head from 700 baht currently, while for domestic flights it will rise to 255 baht from 100 baht by mid-2013 if approved by the Civil Aviation Department in April.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...-thai-airports
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1712
phugiay

Likes (Received): 5

Do they have any public transportation connecting to the airport beside taxi ?
phugiay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1713
Codename B
Detective

Likes (Received): 15558

There are airport bus to the city and also the airport rail link.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARL Airport Rail Link

City Line

by BEERUSIC

Express Line

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yuchian...n/photostream/

Makasan Central station, bangkok

by maracus
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1714
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

... or one can run the Marathon (highly non-recomandable)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1715
Codename B
Detective

If one can stand the heat, then that's a good way to lose some kilos..
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1716
AltinD
The Modecator

I don't understand all this exaggerated talk about the Bangkok heat. I was there in mid-September and after hearing all that talk, I was like: This is it? Meh .... and I did allot of walking, although I do come from 12 years of Dubai experience, not some dark and cold place

Anyway, I would have wanted to use the Airport link, but I had a trolley luggage and wasn't comfortable walking the Soi sidewalks till my hotel ... or be on the crowded Sky Train with it, for that matter.
I can cheat you blind.

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #1717
Codename B
Detective

Try be there in april the hottest month of the year and you will understand.
If it weren't for thai new year in that month, then I'll be like this all the time.

Last edited by Codename B; January 27th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Codename B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #1718
AltinD
The Modecator

Try be here from May to October
I can cheat you blind.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1719
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterni...n/photostream/
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1720
AltinD
The Modecator

My complain about BKK are the passport control and security screening areas, both on arrivals and departures. Not the personel, rather the size and feel of the areas in question.
I can cheat you blind.

Tags
airport, bangkok, south asian hub airport, suvarnabhumi airport, thailand