daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #201
LeFemmeRouge

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranetacoliseum View Post
Terminal One (all international flights excluding Philippine Airlines and Air Philippines)

manila international airport I as world's best? i had a layover there 2 summer's ago and it was HORRIBLE! the toilet wasn't flushed and there was no toilet paper in the restroom. this thread is about world's best and i really dnt think that it is one of the best.

the 2nd airport looks modern and clean though.
LeFemmeRouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #202
Skyprince
Asian boi

Pedang, do you have pics of Malaysia`s Kuching and Alor Setar airports ?? Because both of them have great futuristic designs that rival KLIA !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM   #203
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

World Airport Survey
http://www.worldairportsurvey.com/

Voice your opinions on the 2007 Skytrax world airport rankings here!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM   #204
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFemmeRouge View Post
manila international airport I as world's best? i had a layover there 2 summer's ago and it was HORRIBLE! the toilet wasn't flushed and there was no toilet paper in the restroom. this thread is about world's best and i really dnt think that it is one of the best.

the 2nd airport looks modern and clean though.
NAIA T-1 is my least favorite airport. Especially the waiting area which is a reminds me of airports in less developed countries.

T-2 is modern but it lacks size. Also it's only for PAL flights.

I have no comment on T-3 but I like the interior of the check in counter.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #205
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbmandy View Post
Based on this website http://www.azworldairports.com/ the Manila International Airport has Passenger Throughput of 15,428,522 as of 2004

Manila Domestic Terminal

Terminal 1 Capacity is 4 Million

Terminal 2 Capacity is 9 Million

Terminal 3 Capacity is 13 Million

NAIA Terminals
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #206
wiki

Likes (Received): 18

my world favorite airport is miami county
wiki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #207
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

MANILA, philippines

MANILA airport TERMINALS

NAIA terminal 2 "centennial terminal"

Old January 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #208
Skyprince
Asian boi

Hong Kong and Singapore have the greatest airports.

I love HKIA because of the space and comfort . Arrival and departures are segregated into different floors , restaurants , shops and toilets spotless, very nice airport staff, and superb location next to the sea , overlooking beautiful mountains of Lantau. This is a model airport !

Singapore C is old, but the uniqueness is inspiring. Movie theatres, swimming pools, fantastic lounges .. gr8 airport !

Some ppl say that Singapore or HKIA are over-hyped. But being there for several times, I have to say both are the only super-airports of this world !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #209
hkskyline
Hong Kong

HKIA and Changi often appear at the top of airport surveys, so they may seem over-rated in that sense since it's always these two up there.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #210
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

But they are there for a reason...
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #211
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Changi may not be as modern as HKIA but they have some nice shopping areas and provide alot of activities for passengers.

Old January 14th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #212
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Changi is awesome. Since we fly out of and into Hong Kong, we don't really get to 'experience' HKIA all that much, but I usually tend to have stopovers in Singapore, so I've experienced Changi a lot.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #213
Ese del 69
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The best I've ever been? Seoul Incheon: huge, clean (even more than one can imagine), practical, clean, simple to access, clean, many duty free stores and restaurants, clean, showers and rest areas, clean, beautiful, and ... clean.
The worst my be London Stansted, it is just a warehouse, a big cold box. London Heathrow and Paris CDG may be the dirtiest place on earth.
Ese del 69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #214
DeatzoSeol

Likes (Received): 0

It's strange that nobody said Berlin Tempelhof, Nazi architecture at its finest.

(On the pictures it looks rather horrid, but wait till you get to see it in reality...)

"The mother of all airports." - Lord Norman Foster himself!
DeatzoSeol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #215
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 78

bizaare!! is that for real?
_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #216
Fede_Milan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

VENICE MARCO POLO AIRPORT

Second Best Southern European Airport 2006

www.worldairportawards.com

Fede_Milan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #217
hkskyline
Hong Kong

ACI airport survey : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=451149
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #218
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((myx))) View Post
bizaare!! is that for real?
Yup that's real! And it's gonna close sometime soon.

Old March 16th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #219
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Yup that's real! And it's gonna close sometime soon.
Berlin's Tempelhof airport may be too historic to die
The nazis built the airport to last for centuries.
Its magnificent terminal still is the third-largest building in europe

Washington Post
7 January 2007

On sunny afternoons in the German capital, heads swivel skyward as a throwback DC-3 airplane rumbles overhead on its way to Tempelhof airport, just as it did six decades ago during the military operation that kept half of a divided and broken city alive at the start of the Cold War.

These days, the restored Candy Bomber - one of the Allied aircraft beloved by West Berlin's children for dropping bags of chocolate and raisins from the skies, as well as delivering hundreds of thousands of tons of life's essentials - carries only tourists seeking to relive the Berlin Airlift of 1948-49. But its timeworn flight path may be nearing an end.

Tempelhof airport, designed for Adolf Hitler as the largest building in Europe and later converted by the Americans and British into the nerve centre of the Airlift, is closing after more than 70 years. Politicians, judges and airline officials are squabbling over the date, but for now the last passenger is scheduled to depart in October 2008.

Berlin lawmakers have been pushing for years to shutter Tempelhof. The reunified city no longer needs all of its three airports remaining from the Cold War, they say. Critics also raise issues of noise and safety for the apartment houses that press close to Tempelhof's twin runways.

Plans are in motion to consolidate air traffic and create a major international hub at Schoenefeld airport, on the city's eastern edge. It may not be so easy, however, to close Tempelhof in the name of progress. Its history, and size, may loom too large.

The giant air terminal is still the third-biggest building in Europe in terms of floor space, behind only the Aalsmeer Flower Auction in the Netherlands and the Palace of the Parliament in Bucharest, Romania.

When Nazi architects drew plans for Tempelhof in the 1930s, they wanted it to last for centuries. Its broad facades of limestone, with rigid angles and spare detail, convey notions of fascist glory. Columns stand 20 metres high; steel-reinforced bunkers extend three storeys underground.

Tempelhof is also protected by preservation laws, which means that it can't simply be demolished or turned into a shopping mall. Some developers and advocates say officials have no real choice other than to allow Tempelhof to continue operating as an airport in some fashion. Otherwise it could become a sprawling, boarded-up blight in the city centre.

"This isn't something that is being decided rationally," said Frank Hellberg, a pilot whose firm operates the old DC-3 Candy Bomber that flies tourists over Berlin from Tempelhof and is the only Airlift plane still in service in Europe.

The Berlin Airlift began on June 24, 1948, after the Soviet Union cut off electricity and all access to the Allies' enclave in West Berlin in an attempt to gain control over the entire city. In response, the Allies organized the greatest humanitarian air relief mission in history, delivering more than 2.3 million tons of food, coal and supplies over the next 15 months, the equivalent of a ton for each resident.

At the height of the Airlift, Candy Bombers and other planes were landing at Tempelhof every 90 seconds. The Soviets called off the blockade on May 12, 1949.

Today, only a half-dozen commercial airlines operate from Tempelhof. It recorded about 600,000 passengers in 2006 - roughly one-tenth the traffic of Berlin's other airports. The perpetually uncrowded departure hall has the feel of a long-forgotten bus terminal.

But many business interests see big economic potential in Tempelhof and are lobbying to keep it open permanently, arguing that it could serve as a hub for business jets and commuter flights without damaging new international airport. Unlike most big-city airports, Tempelhof is easily accessible, only five kilometres from the city centre.

Gabi Dolff-Bonekaemper, a professor of urban planning and historic preservation, described the airport as one of the few Nazi-era architectural landmarks that was still embraced by many Germans.

"All Berliners love Tempelhof - old Berliners, young Berliners," she said. "Tempelhof has never been considered by Berliners as heavy or weighty, or as something that is historically undesirable. Its Nazi history has been overcome by its Airlift history."

Old April 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #220
jansej

Likes (Received): 8

for me i like hong kong, kuala lumpur and incheon airport. huge, futuristic, modern etc... i dont see changi as the best, in terms of services, recreations or efficiency, yes! but building structure or design wise is a big NO. asian's airport are simply the best in the world.
well just my thought.
jansej no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
changi airport