daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #441
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Likes (Received): 1752

Malay ones are very nice. HK & Beijing for me.
yosef no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #442
richardvargas

Likes (Received): 514

Beijing, HK, Bangkok & CDG.
richardvargas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #443
Indictable

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardvargas View Post
Beijing, HK, Bangkok & CDG.
Always good to have a little joke..
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #444
fette3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Stockholm Arlanda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm-Arlanda_Airport

fette3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #445
SingaporeCity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

My Favorite is definitely Singapore Changi Airport

Since its opening in 1981, the airport has made its mark in the aviation industry as a benchmark for service excellence, winning over 280 awards in a 20-year period from 1987 to 2007,[8] including 19 Best Airport awards in 2007 alone.[9]

image hosted on flickr

Hotel within Changi Airport

[IMG]http://t1.************/images?q=tbn:_GuJAozjvl1G1M::www.zmweb.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/airbus_001_550x367.jpg&t=1&h=183&w=275&usg=__uM3ISNMGmwDMEet4dtNlnFtcmvA=[/IMG]

Changi Airport Subway station

SingaporeCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #446
BEERUSIK
PATTAYA(SINCITY)-MOSCOW

Likes (Received): 205

SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT BANGKOK THAILAND

image hosted on flickr

BEERUSIK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #447
flesh_is_weak
Oberste Richter

Likes (Received): 8

best airport? Incheon of course, is there any other?
flesh_is_weak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #448
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

amazing airports
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #449
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

rome venice milano bangkok singapore hong kong beijing tokyo zurich dubai shanghai abu dhabi madrid paris london copenhagen miami doha munich berlin moscow
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #450
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by flesh_is_weak View Post
best airport? Incheon of course, is there any other?
Singapore Changi Airport. Voted best Airport in the world by Skytrax.
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #451
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 252

I've been to a lot of airports.

The most modern, the most architecturally significant one in my opinion is:

SUVARNABHUMI (BKK)

Bangkok
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #452
FlagshipV
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

CHANGI SINGAPORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
FlagshipV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #453
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11221

Malaysian Airports
Kuala Lumpur International airport (KLIA)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keatsiong/2497617844/
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Subang International Airport
Kuala Lumpur
image hosted on flickr

Kota Kinabalu International Airport
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
by benz
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by nazrey; March 18th, 2011 at 02:39 PM.
nazrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #454
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

edit
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:20 AM   #455
CocoMay

Likes (Received): 2

China airports are the best.
CocoMay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:39 PM   #456
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

in terms of architecture
1.suvarnabhumi international airport
2.beijing t3 international airport
3.kuala lumpur international airport
4.dubai international airport
5.hongkong international airport

surprisely all of the in asia!
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #458
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

HONG KONG'S RIGHT UP THERE
19 November 2010
Waikato Times

Jet-lagged Paul Rush uncovers the world's top airport stopover for crumpled, muscle-aching long-distance travellers.

* Hong Kong International Airport has rated first or second in the world airport awards over the past decade in the annual Skytrax surveys of five million travellers.

* Being on a direct flight route from New Zealand and Australia to Europe, Hong Kong is the perfect stopover for breaking the tedium of a long flight and for shopping in the city's 20 modern shopping malls.

* For regular Cathay Pacific flyers there is the opportunity to join the prestigious Marco Polo Club and enjoy the soothing comforts of their very extensive lounge where boarding calls are made for each outbound flight.

* WEBSITES: Cathay Pacific Airwayswww.cathaypacific.com; Marriott Sky City Hotel www.marriott.com.hotels; Plaza Network Travellers Lounges www.plaza-network.com; SkyTracks Airport Surveys www.airlinequality.com

I 'm touching down in Hong Kong after an 11-hour flight from Milan, craving a little comfort and ease before the homeward leg to Auckland.

In my slightly jet-lagged state I hold on to one positive thought. I'm transiting at a five-star airport - one of only three in the world. The annual Skytrax passenger survey results indicate that people needing superlative stopover amenities will find them here.

Hong Kong's Chep Lak Kok airport on Lantau Island has taken off as one of the marvels of the modern aviation age, handling 40 million passengers each year. Changi Airport won the top accolades for 2010 but Hong Kong remains in the top three for user- friendly passenger processing, speed and efficiency and having great facilities and transport links.

I'm with a group of travellers who have decided that our 12-hour stopover warrants taking day-rooms in the SkyCity Marriott Hotel at Hong Kong Airport. The hotel is beautifully sited on the shores of the South China Sea but, after taking a glimpse of the sweeping views, my thoughts focus on having a good three-hour sleep.

Then I plan to swim in the hotel Health Club pool, have a light lunch and a relaxing massage to soothe away the effects of the long air miles. I don't want to experience a thumb-pressing, elbow-leaning massage where pain is the whole point. I just want a gentle rub down to ease the tension.

At the hotel's Quan Spa I choose the traditional aroma fusion deep-tissue massage with essential oils. The therapist gets to work with a will and explains that the treatment works by adjusting the flow of qi, balancing the body's healing energy. Whatever it is doing, it feels exceptionally good to me.

The pressure effects are deep and penetrating and my stiff neck and tiredness are soothed away by the healing hands. The insomnia, which a glass of red wine and two movies failed to cure on the inbound flight, doesn't seem such a problem now. I'm left with a slight feeling of jet lag from travelling east over multiple time zones, so it's a good result.

With some eight hours in Hong Kong remaining it's logical to use the hotel's free shuttle to the MTR subway and take the 28-minute ride into the city to see the sights.

I join a city tour that takes in The Peak with its stunning 360-degree view across Hong Kong Island, Victoria Harbour and Kowloon. The city skyline is truly remarkable with its futuristic architecture, soaring glass towers and tall apartment blocks that rise like fortress ramparts above the harbour.

This skyline is arguably the most spectacular in the world, a kind of oriental Manhattan Island on steroids. It's an architectural statement of audacious verticality that boggles the mind and excites the senses.

Returning to street level I experience the frenetic activity of the dense population, the noisy traffic and atmospheric alleyways with their aromatic food stalls. I visit the Man Mo Temple in Hollywood Rd, where people shuffle their way reverentially into the inner sanctum over well-worn, ash- covered floors. I slowly absorb the ambience of the temple, the huddled press of worshippers, smoking incense coils, scattered burnt-out joss sticks and the enveloping wrap of humid air.

There are other guided tours to Disneyland, Ocean Park Aquarium, the Heritage Museum, Madame Tussauds and the Botanical Gardens. The must-do Star Ferry ride between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island gives an insight into the city's heart and soul, its seething humanity and transport efficiency.

I spend time in the Tsim Sha Tsui district of Kowloon. It's a pleasant way to fill in an hour or so, wandering up Nathan Rd and slipping into narrow side streets to catch the local colour, where the air is redolent with the aromas of traditional Chinese cooking and fresh baking. Vendors' stalls are stacked to a precarious height with tropical fruits, assorted vegetables, unusual fish and unidentifiable meats.

The frenetic pace of selling activity is maddening and entertaining at the same time. Hustlers soliciting for tailors and touts selling Rolex watches and designer bags, will welcome you as new friends in the fascinating, odoriferous alleyways. It's all about dollars and scents. If retailing ever becomes an Olympic sport, the back- street traders of Kowloon will surely be world-beaters.

For travellers who don't wish to go into the city there are shopping and sightseeing options closer to hand. Terminal 2 has a full range of family entertainment facilities including a 4D Cinema, games complex, food outlets and an Expo Centre with trade exhibits. The Sky Plaza Shopping Centre within this terminal has a homely environment and a wide selection of goods.

A cable-car runs from the airport area over the sea to the base of Lantau Island's Po Lin Buddha, the largest seated bronze Buddha in Asia. There you can enjoy a cafe snack and visit the large monastery.

When the time arrives to check in for my flight to Auckland, I begin to appreciate why Hong Kong Airport carries a five-star rating. There are plenty of staff manning the customs desks, so I pass through with a minimum of fuss and ride the efficient travelators to the departure gate. The terminal building is pleasant to walk through and being spacious, light and airy, doesn't feel crowded.

The main terminal has a number of comfort and pampering facilities offering everything from business centres and all-day buffet to beauty treatments and spa therapy. The Plaza lounges are open to all airport users, regardless of airline or class of travel, at a reasonable cost. The Plaza Premium lounge is in the Arrivals Hall and the travellers lounges are adjacent to Departure Gates 1 and 35.

There are also coin-operated massage chairs throughout the terminal where you can sit and watch plasma TV. Family-friendly facilities include children's play areas, nursery rooms, a games area and mini-theatres.

I feel rested and ready for my flight home. This experience has taught me that long stopovers at an airport are quite manageable and can work well with a little planning.

Hong Kong will become an increasingly important hub for journeys to Europe, Asia and the Middle East. It's reassuring to know there are ways to grab a few hours' relaxation in the comfort zone.

* Paul Rush travelled to Hong Kong courtesy of Cathay Pacific Airways and the Marriott Skycity Hotel.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #459
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Source:http://www.prweb.com/releases/tripex...web4759444.htm

Quote:
The best and worst airports in which to be stranded

With Singapore's Changi airport voted as the best place for unexpected stopovers, TripExtras looks at how to deal with the pitfalls of being stranded.

(PRWeb UK) November 10, 2010

If being stranded by unexpected delays is going to happen anywhere in the world, then the best place for it is Singapore's Changi airport according to a recent survey. A huge 32% of the 1,000 IAPA members surveyed said it was by far the best airport for delayed passengers.

Other favourites were Amsterdam Schiphol, Hong Kong International and Dubai International. London Heathrow, however, found itself topping both the best and worst lists as the most popular choice as the worlds worst airport in which to be stranded. Other undesirable airports were Paris CDG, Miami International, New York JFK and Mumbai International.

Poor facilities and services was a top frustration of being stranded, with 21% of responders citing this as their top annoyance. And it was Singapore's opportunities for entertainment during an unexpected stopover that made it stand out as an airport not to get bored in.

Some of those surveyed managed to spend their stranded time in the comfort of a VIP airport lounge, something which really comes into its own during stopovers - especially when hordes of passengers are crowding the terminal due to delays.

"Few people realise they can book into airport lounges when they fly economy, but for stopovers between flights and delays they are a little known gem", says James Berry, Director of TripExtras. "Our bookings for airport lounges in destinations such as Singapore, Dubai and Doha are increasing in popularity as more holiday makers discover the secret of being able to book into an airport lounge without having to fly first class".

TripExtra's airport lounges are available in over 100 airports worldwide and typically include complimentary alcoholic drinks and snacks, all within luxurious surroundings - a great way to cope with being stranded. To find out more information about TripExtras, visit http://www.tripextras.com/airport-lounges
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #460
Tempe

Likes (Received): 1

I noticed Changi Airport has similar interior design concept with Hyderabad Airport India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post

Hyderabad Airport India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh1802 View Post
Tempe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
changi airport