daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #461
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

From the recent ash crisis in Europe, Dubai was quite a good place to be stranded. Emirates took care of the passengers and gave them hotels while a lot of the other passengers stranded elsewhere slept at the airport.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #462
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

It is suprising Seoul wasnt on the list. I dont find London Heathdrow that great. I would say Asian Airports are still way better then the rest.
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #463
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
It is suprising Seoul wasnt on the list. I dont find London Heathdrow that great. I would say Asian Airports are still way better then the rest.
Don't think being stranded would be a good experience anywhere ... except Dubai ...

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #464
Vrooms
threeyearson.

I'm sure most airlines will find passangers a hotel to stay in. Why only Dubai? Been to their airport before it isnt that nice.
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #465
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I'm sure most airlines will find passangers a hotel to stay in. Why only Dubai? Been to their airport before it isnt that nice.
No. Weather-related or natural disasters are not always covered, and it also depends on the airline. Dealing with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet at these times would be extremely difficult.

I recall either CNN or the BBC did a story of people being stranded in Dubai during the ash cloud crisis. They were having a great time at the hotel. That contrasted to the miserable travellers stuck sleeping at airports elsewhere and running out of money.

Old November 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #466
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
No. Weather-related or natural disasters are not always covered, and it also depends on the airline. Dealing with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet at these times would be extremely difficult.

I recall either CNN or the BBC did a story of people being stranded in Dubai during the ash cloud crisis. They were having a great time at the hotel. That contrasted to the miserable travellers stuck sleeping at airports elsewhere and running out of money.
That true but the survey is about the best airport to be stranded in and i dont think Dubai is that great. My top five in no particular order would be:

-Singapore Changi
-Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok
-Amsterdam Schiphol
-Seoul Incheon
-Doha International
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #467
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
That true but the survey is about the best airport to be stranded in and i dont think Dubai is that great. My top five in no particular order would be:

-Singapore Changi
-Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok
-Amsterdam Schiphol
-Seoul Incheon
-Doha International
I wonder whether the ranking has actually taken into account what happened during the ash crisis to begin with, which was the big test on whether airports and airlines can cope with such an emergency.

Old November 25th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #468
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Don't think being stranded would be a good experience anywhere ... except Dubai ...
Changi is fun.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #469
Vrooms
threeyearson.

SINGAPORE CHANGI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT(VOTED WORLDS BEST AIRPORT 2010 BY SKYTRAX)

image hosted on flickr

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1015/...0c38585f_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/...d169143f_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1017/...653d86c0_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/...757ac558_b.jpg
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #470
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Changi is fun.
Thank you!!
Old November 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #471
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Not surprising ...

HKIA Scoops "Best Airport in China" Award
http://www.skymart.hkairport.com/eng...s/pr_1012.html

(HONG KONG, 18 November 2010) – Hong Kong International Airport's (HKIA) dedication to providing a pleasant and memorable airport experience for worldwide passengers has once again been recognised with the bestowal of the "Best Airport in China" award in Shanghai yesterday. Over the past decade, HKIA has crowned the world's best airport for more than 30 times.

Reaffirming the excellence of HKIA's services and facilities, this is the fourth time in six years HKIA has received this accolade from leading travel publication Business Traveller China. Since the annual survey was launched in 2005, HKIA has also taken home the same award in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Reflecting on the achievement, Airport Authority Chief Executive Officer Stanley Hui Hon-chung said, "Teamwork, a quality service culture and an ongoing pursuit of excellence define HKIA. We are delighted that travellers have shown continued confidence in HKIA's facilities and services. This award is a strong feedback on the ceaseless efforts made by our entire 60,000 airport workforce, including our business partners and government departments. This award belongs to everyone working at HKIA."

"Winning this award has also reaffirmed our status as a preferred gateway to the Chinese Mainland, as well as an international and regional aviation centre. We will continue to upgrade our facilities to ensure pleasant and seamless journeys for all travellers at HKIA," he added.

In addition to this recognition, HKIA has received more than 10 other local and international awards related to airport facilities and services this year. These include being named "Best Airport" at the 21st TTG Travel Awards 2010; as well as being selected as "World's Best Airport" by the Airports Council International among airports with an annual passenger throughput of over 40 million.

Old November 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #472
Vrooms
threeyearson.

CHANGI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT SINGAPORE

image hosted on flickr

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1288/...d52f0f11_b.jpg

Quote:
Changi International Airport list of awards 2010:http://www.changiairport.com/our-bus...airport/awards
So far 20 this year!!!
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #473
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 819

I like Vienna's airport in terms of connecting flights because it's not so big and gates are easy to find. There's also a McDonalds
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #474
hkskyline
Hong Kong

HKIA - http://www.pbase.com/calvin_y/canon_...usm_test_shots :

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #475
Vrooms
threeyearson.

I would think most international airports have mcdonalds.
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #476
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I would think most international airports have mcdonalds.
Depends on who the airport operator franchises with. Usually they wouldn't put too many competitors under one roof - just like how malls pattern their shops as well.

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #477
Vrooms
threeyearson.

I know. I sure most if not all international airports house fast food joints.
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #478
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I know. I sure most if not all international airports house fast food joints.
But not necessarily McDonald's.

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #479
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Yup. Does Chek Lap Kok have one? Singapore has a different gas food restaurant in each terminal.
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #480
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Yup. Does Chek Lap Kok have one? Singapore has a different gas food restaurant in each terminal.
No. They kicked McDonald's out in favour of another chain, and opened a second terminal with plenty of shops and restaurants so people can actually sit down in comfortable chairs to eat real food.

Tags
changi airport