daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:21 AM   #41
weill
North Roanoke

Likes (Received): 4

nice pictures of the airports!
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:45 AM   #42
trekker

Likes (Received):

Hong Kong without a doubt
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:14 AM   #43
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 76

For my young number of years I have been to a good number of the worlds great airports. Two standouts are Amsterdam Schipol and Madrid Barajas
Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 02:03 AM   #44
fjl307
FNG!

Likes (Received): 0

Denver International Airport! So neat because the airport matches the mountains to the west!

http://deseretnews.com/photos/2157131.jpg

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/denver/

This is the material that built the canopies:
http://www.fffna.saint-gobain.com/Da...00000000001940

Denver International Airport was the first airport to be built in the United States in over twenty years. Construction on the 4.2 billion dollar DIA was started in 1989, and was supposed to end by 1993. However opening was delayed until 1996 because of many numerous delays. One of which was the famous baggage system. In what was billed as one of the fastest and reliable systems turned out to be nothing but a headache. After opening in 1996, many passengers encountered problems with the system. After over a million dollars in repairs, it was finally abandoned for an old fashioned model. Given this fact however, DIA still remains as one of airports of the US.
As the ninth busiest airport in the world, the planers of Denver International wanted to be able to get people in and out as fast as possible. They reasoned that fast runways will do nothing if people are still stuck in the terminals. With that in mind, DIA was designed with a three story terminal to allow passengers to move freely and with little or no congestion. In order to facilitate this, there is more than a quarter mile of counter space for passengers to use. Also, the airport has to capability to expand from the current capacity of 32 million to 110 million by the year 2020, which would make it the busiest airport in the world.

To make getting from terminal to terminal even easier, Denver designed and built the Automated Guideway Transit System (AGTS) as a safe and efficient way of moving the passengers around. This is a fully automated system that carries up to 80 passengers through the center of the terminals and concourses. The trains follow a rail that serves both to guild them and to give the electric power to the cars motors. The fact that this system id fully automated and runs completely on electricity, make it environmentally safe, which was a big concern about the entire airport.

The designers of this airports worked closely with the Environmental Protection Agency to make sure that this airport conserves resources and minimizes pollution. Some of these environmental designs include the following. Water is conserved by using brand new state of the art low flush toilets. I know what you are thinking. It is just a toilet, who cares? These new toilets conserve water by using less water per flush than others. Planets and grass were also planted that do not use as much water and can survive drought seasons. This will save millions of gallons of irrigation water needed for the farms that surround DIA. A new recycling program was also introduces to cut down on solid waste. The runway was made of a composite of fly ash (unburned fuel remnants from coal-burning plants) and concrete strengthen it and in effect saved this waste from filling landfills. Airport vehicles run on natural gas rather than gasoline to cut down air pollution. Noise pollution still remains a major problem for Denver and for any other airport. As with most airports, residence housing can not be built within a certain distance of an airport. Combined with the new type of aircraft that reduce the noise that comes alone with every airport. With these conservation and pollution design features, DIA is the first major airport to include environmental concerns as part of its planning and construction process.
In order to optimize space, the airfield was designed to place runways in every quadrant of the site. The total of five runways are arranged in a pinwheel fashion that allow air controllers to shift traffic to any where, when factors like wind come into play. Plans to build a sixth are currently under way. As usual, none of the runways cross each other for safety. Lights are imbedded in the concrete to form centerlines and stopbars at intersections, which help with safety at low visibility. Even during bad weather, which is a big problem for Denver, up to three streams of aircraft are able to land to keep traffic in the air down. With all this runway space, the problem arises when it snows in Denver, which is a common occurrence.

The airlines at Denver have the safest and most efficient facilities available for deicing aircraft before and after take off. Deicing at DIA is designed to be efficient, kind to the environment and also and effective preventative safety measure. There are three centralized deicing pads located at the end of each concourse. The procedure is to spray ethylene glycol or propylene glycol onto aircraft to help with the deicing. To prevent ice from forming again, these pads are located close to runways so that they can almost immediately take off. The big environmental issue with the deicing process is the run off. The fluids are collected and piped into storage tanks for future recycling. Dirty water from the concourse area is funneled into two ponds in the middle of the runways and mixed with sun and air to break it down naturally. With so many things to take into consideration, the use of computers was needed. In fact, DIA was the first airport in the world to be totally designed, built, and operated using computers. The multi-layer terminal to help passengers move and easily find their way around, plus the parking system, plus the train and the runways were all designed by computers. Computer models, of the runways, weather, wind, taxiing, movement of people, etc., all aided the design of DIA. The idea behind the city paying 3.3 million dollars was the hope that eventually this and much more will be repaid in the operation of the airport in the years to come.
What first attracted me to Denver International Airport, was the baggage system that made DIA the joke of all airports. However, there is so much more to it than one failed attempt fix something. As the first airport to be built in twenty years, the technology that DIA carries with it is second to none. Comparing DIA to other airports and the efforts to improve them, make Denver Internationals 4.3 billion seem like a bargain. Denver International Airport is truly amazing and is a great example of one of the busiest and most advance airports in the world.

My Flickr Page

Skype Me!
fjl307 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 02:22 AM   #45
sharpie20
Wlis

Likes (Received): 4

kansai airpor is one of the coolest airports i have ever seen, they did a special on it on the discovery channel? well any ways they made this artificial island that could support an airport and to prevent it from sinking they used hydrolics to prop it up and now they're in the process of DOUBLING the size of the airport, it is one of the most hi tech airports i've ever seen
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #46
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2577

I gotta go with Chek Lap Kok in Hong Kong

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #47
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6298

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff
Copenhagen airport has no competition. Simply the best.
It's no the biggest in the world, but it has won a buch of awards and have a lovely feeling to it..

What it do need is a IMAX cinema with 30min movies to make the waiting go faster.... and a Star Bucks

Old December 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #48
yung85

Likes (Received): 1

Kuala Lumpur International airport!!

below r some pics i took during summer 2005

enjoy!

yung85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #49
dom86

Likes (Received): 0

Dubai International airport looks great I'll make sure I get some pics of the Airport when I go there after next week
dom86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #50
vgmLiquid

Likes (Received): 1

I've traveled quite a bit and the airport I have enjoyed the most is the new Detroit airport. It has perhaps the best floor layout and many great features. Anyone have any pics to post?
vgmLiquid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #51
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Hong Kong is officially rated as the world's best, but I'd put it in 2nd to Singapore. Whether that's because I've spent more time at Singapore airport (stopovers etc...at HK airport I usually just depart/arrive...no stopovers) I don't know.

But I love both airports and all the other airports I've visited don't even come close.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #52
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Chek Lap Kok is much better than Changi in terms of architecture, efficiency and modernity. But Changi has better facilities, shopping and entertainment. But I'm looking forward to the completion of the new terminal.

Old December 15th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #53
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

^ Actually in terms of efficiency, both airport is on par........
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #54
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
OK But one thing that Changi offers that Chek Lap Kok doesn't is a free trip of the city!

Old December 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #55
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

That's because you can't explore Hong Kong in a day.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #56
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

I don't think you can explore any city in the world in just one day......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #57
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar
That's because you can't explore Hong Kong in a day.
Very true but there are some who would just want to see the city's skyline and shop even if it's only one day

Old December 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #58
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
I don't think you can explore any city in the world in just one day......
True as well but Changi still offers a free trip of Singapore It's good though! I don't think you can have that in other airports especially Narita!

Old December 16th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #59
UMD

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:

But Changi is still better in terms of efficiency... We still need at least 15 - 20 mins to go thru immigartion at HKG. In Changi, you never have to spend for more than 5 mins.

In terms of other facilities and comfort level, both are on par. And in terms of architecture, HKG is just amazing.
UMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #60
UMD

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
True as well but Changi still offers a free trip of Singapore It's good though! I don't think you can have that in other airports especially Narita!
By the time you get to Tokyo, it would be about 2 hours later......that would be hard to explore it in a day....And one should never explore Tokyo or Hong Kong in a day. But Singapore, a day trip is certainly possible.
UMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
changi airport