daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #81
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17810

CDG Terminal 2 is OK. It's spacious. Terminal 1 was a disaster. Maybe I went through on a busy day, but there aren't enough check-in desks and there were crowds lined up everywhere. I didn't know which line was which and there was nobody there to help.

Quite neat that the flickering board is still operational!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #82
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar
#1: HK
#2: Singapore
---------------
No one else comes close.

Paris Charles de Gaulle was pathetic - Chicago's is very nice and huge, but nothing compared to the top 2. Heathrow likewise - impressive but not impressive enough I'm afraid.
Singapore's airport is more on it's efficiency, facilities and service. But their airport design isn't that impressive compared to HK or Incheon. That will change once the new terminal is completed.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #83
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Don't think Singapore takes the crown on efficiency - reckon HK's is better myself.

I guess we'll have to disagree on the airport design.

I love HK's overall design, but Singapore's homely feeling (almost like a shopping mall) gets my vote. Although not by much.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #84
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Don't think Singapore takes the crown on efficiency - reckon HK's is better myself.

I guess we'll have to disagree on the airport design.

I love HK's overall design, but Singapore's homely feeling (almost like a shopping mall) gets my vote. Although not by much.
There were some who say that shopping in the airport was better than shopping in Orchard Rd!

Old March 7th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #85
_00_deathscar

Lol. It's not a far cry from Orchard Road.

To be fair the shopping at HK airport is out of this world too...
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #86
dave_chanh

Likes (Received): 0

Too bad for HK airport, they can't even keep their toilets as clean as it should be. I can't even get myself close to the urinal properly because the thing is just spilled out everywhere all over the floor beneath. People who use the toilets don't keep it clean and the cleaners don't take good care of their duty, that's the result.
I know it may be pointless in what I'm talking but I do care for these little details, especially the hygiene and cleanliness.
Hoping that they take good care of it and don't let it be like those in mainland China.
dave_chanh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #87
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_chanh
Too bad for HK airport, they can't even keep their toilets as clean as it should be. I can't even get myself close to the urinal properly because the thing is just spilled out everywhere all over the floor beneath. People who use the toilets don't keep it clean and the cleaners don't take good care of their duty, that's the result.
I know it may be pointless in what I'm talking but I do care for these little details, especially the hygiene and cleanliness.
Hoping that they take good care of it and don't let it be like those in mainland China.
If you look at it, HK takes it's hygiene issues seriously especially after the SARS epidemic. But I don't find anything wrong with the toilets in the airport.

Old March 7th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #88
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_chanh
I haven't had any problems with the toilets myself and I use the airport a lot. I see more cleaners at HKIA than the other major international airports but if there is a problem, make sure you let management know right away so they can fix it.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #89
_00_deathscar

Agreed. Haven't had a problem myself but if you've ever had a bad experience let the management know - Hong Kong would like to be impeccable when it comes to these sorts of things. This is where Singapore cleans the floor with Hong Kong ... hygiene (pun FULLY intended. :p)
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #90
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Agreed. Haven't had a problem myself but if you've ever had a bad experience let the management know - Hong Kong would like to be impeccable when it comes to these sorts of things. This is where Singapore cleans the floor with Hong Kong ... hygiene (pun FULLY intended. :p)
I've been to some really dirty airports or even airports where you have to pay just to use the toilet which to me is bull!

Old March 7th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #91
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Likes (Received): 570

Definitely HKIA is the best. It has everything I like such as high roofs, different choices of shops, spacious boarding area, clean bathrooms, and picture-worthy architecture.
I guess Changi comes in second. It's old but well-maintaned and is still is one the world's best.
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #92
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

For 2nd place, it's either Changi or Incheon

Old March 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #93
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

never been to the new HK one... last time I was in HK the planes still manuvered between the apartment buildings, flew low passes over the passanger arrival terminal, and landed on the old airport.

so I'm gonna have to nominate Toronto Pearson Int'l.

But I'm sure the HK airport is godly.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #94
dave_chanh

Likes (Received): 0

HK has a very fine airport, I'm quite impressed with that. I have used this airport a few times, of course whenever I visit Hong Kong I must definitely go through it. I've been to HK already 5 times, in and out, so altogether is about 10 times. It's always been wonderful but except this last trip I noticed this unpleasant situation. That's the reason why i was a bit surprised and didn't expect such thing in this airport. All previous times I flew with Thai Airways and they put us at the far away gates, this time I flew with Cathay and the departure gate(2) is just so close to the duty free area where so many passengers using the toilet, so I guess that's the reason why.
dave_chanh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #95
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2
never been to the new HK one... last time I was in HK the planes still manuvered between the apartment buildings, flew low passes over the passanger arrival terminal, and landed on the old airport.

so I'm gonna have to nominate Toronto Pearson Int'l.

But I'm sure the HK airport is godly.
Oh man you're missing alot! But I do miss the landing at Kai-Tak

Anyway, HK's new airport is a BIG difference from the old one. Better check it out for yourself

Old March 8th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #96
hkskyline
Hong Kong

KL Int'l Airport Voted the Best in Aetra 2005 Survey

KUALA LUMPUR, March 8 Asia Pulse - The KL International Airport (KLIA) was voted Best Airport in the 15-25 million passengers per annum category in the AETRA 2005 survey.

KLIA also bagged third place for both the Best Airport Worldwide and Best Airport in Asia/Pacific categories behind Incheon Airport, Korea, which was placed first and Singapore's Changi Airport and Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok Airport, both of which shared the honour for second place.

The 2005 results announced recently eclipsed the AETRA 2004 results where KLIA emerged second in the Best Airport (15-25 million passengers per annum), said Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) (KLSE:5014) in a statement Tuesday.

The AETRA Airport Customer Satisfaction programme is jointly conducted by Airport Council International (ACI) and International Air Transport Association (IATA) to present annual awards to top performing airports around the world.

The benchmarking programme covers the entire airport experience of international and domestic travellers who rate participating airports on 28 service-related parameters.

The programme covers 66 airports worldwide, including some of the largest and most progressive such as London Heathrow, Amsterdam, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Hong Kong, Singapore and Dubai.

Meanwhile, MAHB's managing director, Bashir Ahmad, who received the awards at the ACI Conference Gala Dinner in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on Monday, said that the facilities in KLIA would continue to be enhanced.

Currently more than 45 airlines operate at the KLIA, which is the flagship airport of MAHB.

MAHB manages and operates 39 airports in Malaysia: five international, 16 domestic and 18 Short Take-Off and Landing Ports (STOL Ports).

(BERNAMA-OANA)

Old March 8th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #97
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Congratulations to KL

Anyway, in the future, we will have a new rival which is Bangkok! But it's yet to prove until it's operational

Old March 8th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #98
_00_deathscar

So I take it Hong Kong loses it's crown then?
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #99
_00_deathscar

Or do we still have the Skytrax crown?

I'm confused by this report too - it says KL was voted the best, but then says Incheon took 1st place and Changi and HKIA took 2nd???
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #100
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The AETRA awards are based on passenger volume. KLIA is in another volume band than HKIA (HKIA definitely has > 25 million pax/year).

Tags
changi airport