daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Development Archive

Old May 30th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #1
KGB

Likes (Received): 43

18 Yorkville

Hopefully they will finish the little art park and the rest of the base area and do a completed project photo tour.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Regan4000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

That's one of the better buildings that have been built lately. Although it's your average glass condo, I like its shape and the roof. It especially looks good among those two concrete slabs at yonge/bloor and that other concrete slab over at Bay/Bloor

REgan
Regan4000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Travis007

Likes (Received): 52

I think 18 Yorkville ended up looking like a really nice condo tower, I especially love the view of it from Yorkville. I can't wait for all the other condo projects in Yorkville to be completed because they'll add to the streetscene.

BTW: Anyone know what's up with Regency Yorkville (on Bay & Yorkville)? The hole has been dug for over a year now and a crane still hasn't gone up yet. I guess they're having trouble selling. But I hope it gets built, it's a nice 18s stucco art-deco tower. And I also heard about a W hotel being proposed in Yorkville.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #4
KGB

"Anyone know what's up with Regency Yorkville (on Bay & Yorkville)? The hole has been dug for over a year now and a crane still hasn't gone up yet. I guess they're having trouble selling."

Well, I don't really know...and I don't think they are having "trouble" selling...I just think this kind of building doesn't sell as fast as a Tridel building. There's also a hell of a lot of competition in the Bloor/Yorkville area...especially in the pricey ones.

KGB
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:50 PM   #5
Not in service

Likes (Received): 1

Lotus is advertising 'pre-construction' pricing now in the Condo Guide. THAT condo has been on the market a hell of long time. I wonder why it isn't selling very well? It's definitely in a great location.

Julie Ovenell-Carter, Vancouver Sun
416 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Travis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
Lotus is advertising 'pre-construction' pricing now in the Condo Guide. THAT condo has been on the market a hell of long time. I wonder why it isn't selling very well? It's definitely in a great location.
I hope that the "pre-construction" advertisement is true, it's been on the market for a couple of years now, it was first named The Pierre and now changed to Lotus. The site is good because it's a small site that could use some in-fill there.
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM   #7
KGB

KGB
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM   #8
DRTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416
The Bloor St. Neighborhood condo is just a couple of blocks down the street, and hasn't broken ground yet, despite being on the market for well over two years now. Maybe the neighborhood is not as attractive as we assume?
DRTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:59 PM   #9
Not in service

Likes (Received): 1

I don't know about that because there have been many successful projects in and around Yonge/Bloor that did very well:

- Bellagio
- Bloor Walk
- Elven'21
- 85 Bloor
- No.10 Bellair
- The Maxus
- Minto Yorkville
- 18 Yorkville

But your right about the Bloor Street Neighbourhood. That's been on the market for a long time too. Has anyone seen the advertising for it? It's so tacky. Comparing the buildings' location to the 'Upper East Side' and 'Manhatten' suites. I think at the end of the day buyers are more savvy now and the Lotus and BSN just aren't cuttin' it (for whatever reason).

18 Yorkville wins me over big time. Thanks for the pics.

Julie Ovenell-Carter, Vancouver Sun
416 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM   #10
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 2

Bloorwalk is having problems unloading its penthouse suites and the success of Minto Yorkville is moot because it is rental. (and I've heard tenants are hard to come by)

BSN has some of worst layouts and there aren't exactly cheap to buy.
Old June 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM   #11
Are Be
BANNED

I hope 1BE starts soon.
Are Be no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 06:23 PM   #12
valantino
The Greatest

^would be nice

(as much as we all love to talk about how Toronto is leading the way in highrise construction, Miami has currently 48 under construction with 9 over 500 feet and its suburbs are surely outbuilding our suburbs)
Old June 1st, 2005, 07:53 PM   #13
partybits
partybits

Just sifted through Emporis We have 54 under construction. And while we may have only 3 or so over 500ft u/c right now, look how much we have in the pipeline: West One, HV1, MLSE 1&2, Hummingbird, Ritz-Carlton, Signature Tower, Trump, Sapphire, 1 Bloor E, Richmond/Adelaide, 1 King W, Minto, Uptown, Festival tower, and CP1.
That's a total of 16. I'm sure 9 out of 16 will be built.
We seem to have a Tonne in the 400-499ft height though: 7 u/c and and 17 approved/proposed.
So, I'll call it a tie!

By the way, does anyone know about this proposed Parkway Forest development? 7 buildings ranging from 39-48 stories in North York. Is this the one that got proposed for Bayview/Shepphard that never went through due to height?
partybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:56 PM   #14
Travis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by partybits
Just sifted through Emporis We have 54 under construction. And while we may have only 3 or so over 500ft u/c right now, look how much we have in the pipeline: West One, HV1, MLSE 1&2, Hummingbird, Ritz-Carlton, Signature Tower, Trump, Sapphire, 1 Bloor E, Richmond/Adelaide, 1 King W, Minto, Uptown, Festival tower, and CP1.
That's a total of 16. I'm sure 9 out of 16 will be built.
We seem to have a Tonne in the 400-499ft height though: 7 u/c and and 17 approved/proposed.
So, I'll call it a tie!

By the way, does anyone know about this proposed Parkway Forest development? 7 buildings ranging from 39-48 stories in North York. Is this the one that got proposed for Bayview/Shepphard that never went through due to height?
I think that Miami in the future will have a bigger condo boom than Toronto, and plus they do have way nicer condos than we do.

And in your list partybits, WestOne is Excavated and I believe will start construction soon, I don't knwo why you have HV1 up there (HVE?) it's practically complete now, CP1 is U/C, 1King West is pretty much complete, Minto is U/C.
I'm pretty sure that Trump will get built, and I hope Sapphire will too. I have doubts that Richmond Adelaide will get built soon since Toronto is not having a office boom now.
I also belive that Uptown, 1BE, Signature Tower, and Ritz will get built too and will start construction in a few years. I'm sure that MLSE will sell like hot cakes too.
I don't know much about Festival Tower and Hummingbird centre Tower. Both are some of my favourite towers in TO right now but i don't know when they'll get built. Festival centre has gotten some money from the government but not much seems to be happaning at the site, and sales I don't beleive have completely started yet. I beleive that Hummingbird Tower is going through a redesign by Libeskind but i haven't heard any news about it in a while.

And out of those 17 towers (with Minto being 2 tower), I will say that 13 of those towers are sure to be built and the other 4 I can only hope.

And the Parkway Forest plan has already been rejected by the city of Toronto for being to big for the area and is waiting for a OMB hearing.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:01 AM   #15
partybits
partybits

I really do not know how Miami will be in the future. Just gave the present stats of Toronto based on Emporis...and we know how accurate that site can be!

For West One, i considered it u/c already. It's close enough for me...there's a hole in the ground...lol.
As for the rest, remember that I was more or less just browsing through Emporis. They still consider them u/c as technically they still are. Was just an objective (while not accurate) way to compare Miami and Toronto.
As for Festival Hall, now that the government has'nt fallen, I have more confidence they will build it....eventually. Hummingbird, does'nt look to good.
Conclusion, Miami & Toronto are about the same in construction, not exactly, just roughly here!

So is the Parkway project the one at Sheppard/Bayview?
partybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:15 AM   #16
Travis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by partybits
I really do not know how Miami will be in the future. Just gave the present stats of Toronto based on Emporis...and we know how accurate that site can be!

For West One, i considered it u/c already. It's close enough for me...there's a hole in the ground...lol.
As for the rest, remember that I was more or less just browsing through Emporis. They still consider them u/c as technically they still are. Was just an objective (while not accurate) way to compare Miami and Toronto.
As for Festival Hall, now that the government has'nt fallen, I have more confidence they will build it....eventually. Hummingbird, does'nt look to good.
Conclusion, Miami & Toronto are about the same in construction, not exactly, just roughly here!

So is the Parkway project the one at Sheppard/Bayview?
Well Miami really isn't the most accurate site but it's a great compiliation nevertheless. And unless, most of Toronto's get off the ground, I think Miami takes this one. Just look at the first page of Miami's highrise stats on em. http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/s...t=2&ht=3&sro=1
17 out of those 20 buildings are proposed/approved/U/c with teh 2 Empire World Towers at 1124 ft. each.Miami has taller towers. Toronto also has a whole bunch of condos in the 20s and mid-rise range but compared to Miami's condos, I beleive that they are building more, just take a look at the Miami forum. And I still take miami's condos over toronto when it comes to being better looking.

And yeah, parkway forest is bayview and sheppard.

Last edited by Travis007; June 2nd, 2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:39 AM   #17
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 20

Look what you did valantino, you single handedly changed the thread from 18 Yorkville, to a Miami vs Toronto thread.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:43 AM   #18
KGB

Well, I think it's pretty clear that Toronto has been on a bigger, and longer condo-building roll.

KGB
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:47 AM   #19
Travis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
Look what you did valantino, you single handedly changed the thread from 18 Yorkville, to a Miami vs Toronto thread.
I think it's always great to compare Toronto's condo boom with other cities'
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:53 AM   #20
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 20

I agree, but there are a time and place for these disscussions.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote