SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Piedmont Road: Most neglected road?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gwiATLeman 
#1 ·
From the corner of Peachtree Road and Piedmont Road in Buckhead to 14th street in Midtown, Piedmont Road is arguably the second most interesting stretches of street between Buckhead and Midtown. If you're traveling north, then you can take it from Downtown to Buckhead. Yet, this interesting and vital road rarely gets the exposure or development as its "twin" Peachtree Street/Road. Why is that? And should that change?

#3 ·
Isn't Monroe a state route? If so, there isn't much the city can do. I've been to DOT meetings where they've stated over and over again that the solution to traffic problems on 75/85 is to push more traffic onto city streets like Monroe. They used Cobb Parkway as the example of what they want to turn city streets into.

Basically, the DOT is determined to continue their suburban development patterns into the city. Unless there is a change of DOT's attitude, Atlanta is pretty much screwed since it can't tell the state what to do.

#4 ·
That takebackmonroedrive.com site is just a load of NIMBY crap brought to us by the same people who want to keep Piedmont Park all to themselves (e.g. The No Parking Deck crowd)... The fact is Atlanta has one of the poorest inner city street systems of a town it's size anywhere in this country... And although it's probably too late to straighten out a lot of the mess that should have been addressed decades ago, turning Monroe Dr. back into a residential street is a completely ass backward idea for this city to undertake if it expects to continue it's quest for a denser intown residential area. At least most other large cities had the forsight to build a decent street grid system and not limit their residents to only 1 or 2 street choices when going from point a to point b.

But back on the topic at hand, perhaps the most glaring problem I encounter on Monroe Dr. right now other than the congestion right next to the park is the traffic backup caused by the commercial district on Amsterdam Av. off Monroe and the lack of a designated left hand turn lane there.

#5 ·
Aubie - no, Monroe is not a state route. I'm a little split, it sucks for the residents there & typically I believe the street should mirror the neighborhood (residential) BUT, it is a primary north / south route for many. So... tough tooties.

As for Piedmont, I like most of Piedmont Ave, but once it becomes a 'road' (as in Piedmont Rd) it becomes a less likable strip, actually more of a suburban strip. FYI - Piedmont Rd becomes at Cheshire Bridge Rd where the Ave. ends.

#7 ·
CincoRanchHoustonRes said:
Atlanta is the state, they should do something.
Um, no. The city of Atlanta is constantly getting screwed over by the state. It in no way controls state level politics and has much lower influence than its population would seem to warrent because the rest of the state enjoys blaming everything on the city.

Now, back to the topic of Piedmont, since it isn't a state route, the city certainly can make changes. No, it'll never go back to being just a residential street. And there is much to fear in the influx of new residents into the city since most have lived automobile dominated lives and are more likely moving into town because it is trendy and different and not because they want to give up their cars.

As an aside, Chubby, I'm part of the no deck crowd and I don't live near the park. So far only one NPU has voted in favor of the deck. You can debate the positives and negatives of the deck but to call the opponents NIMBYs shows a lack of understanding of what those letters stand for.

#8 ·
AubieTurtle said:
Now, back to the topic of Piedmont, since it isn't a state route, the city certainly can make changes. No, it'll never go back to being just a residential street. And there is much to fear in the influx of new residents into the city since most have lived automobile dominated lives and are more likely moving into town because it is trendy and different and not because they want to give up their cars.
Piedmont Ave isn't a state route, but Piedmont Rd is - from the Buford Hwy Connector north.

#9 ·
Nick, You had open the can of worms. :bash:

All kidding aside...........Monroe drive is not a state route.

Chubbydeacker, try something, and I am being serious, print out the--- takebackmonroedrive---information. Take special note of the vehichles over 28 feet.

Then walk from the southeast corner of the park to Ansley mall. Then walk south to tenth and tell me how it feels.

Brad, Your right that Monroe Dr is a North-South route for many, and they are welcome to use it. But it should be at an appropriate speed.

Georgia Power also needs to be held acountable for its impact on the corridor.

#10 ·
TheBrad said:
Piedmont Ave isn't a state route, but Piedmont Rd is - from the Buford Hwy Connector north.
I actually meant Monroe but my brain was still focuses on the second half of your earlier message. Call it a brain fart. :)

#11 ·
Well Piedmont of course isn't seeing anything like the development on Peachtree but you could say the same about any other street in the city. I really like the stretch of it from Downtown to Midtown though. I think from downtown to Ponce, Piedmont screams to be developed as a corridor of nice residential buildings in the 5 - 15 story range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.