daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM   #21
musang
abed

Likes (Received): 25

wow.. shud b a profitable venture then.. domestically, how viable is that? i mean rail transportation is overwhelmingly crowded and cheap... what's the percentage of middle/upper income level in the country?
musang no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:18 PM   #22
musang
abed

i forgot 2ask this: what is the main econ activity in hyderabad? what is it famous for?

so far i only know Malaysia Airlines is among the few foreign airlines flying there.. do u have the list?
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM   #23
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by musang
wow.. shud b a profitable venture then.. domestically, how viable is that? i mean rail transportation is overwhelmingly crowded and cheap... what's the percentage of middle/upper income level in the country?

Yes rail travel is still the predominant mode of transportation in the country. Our railways carry in two or three days what our airlines carry in an entire year. So railways will still be prominent, and this is not gonna change anytime soon.

India is touted to have one of the largest middle class on earth. Its stated to be around 400 million and increasing. The growth in the last decade has pulled atleast around 150 million Indian from poverty . But still there is a long way to go. I would not expect all the middle class people to start flying. They eventually will, but only EVENTUALLY.

www.ironaddicts.com
centralized pandemonium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:59 PM   #24
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Quote:
i forgot 2ask this: what is the main econ activity in hyderabad? what is it famous for?

so far i only know Malaysia Airlines is among the few foreign airlines flying there.. do u have the list?

Well Hyderabad, along with Bangalore was one of the original IT superstars of India. Microsoft has a major development centre here. For Indian cities there is not exactly one major eco activity. They all have a variety of activities. Same is the case with Hyderabad.

I don't have the list for the major international airlines flying out of Hyderabad. You should drop by the Indian subforum to ask the questions. I am sure there are people over there to answer you better .

www.ironaddicts.com
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM   #25
musang
abed

HariR.. thanks much for the info.

i am planning 2go 2india again, stms at the end of the yr.. this shud b interesting as i am planning to take the train all the way from Mumbai to Delhi..
Old June 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM   #26
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

New Hyderabad International Airport ready by 2008

Quote:
MAHB has a stake in the development rite?
any pics/renderings of how is the airport going to look like?

Quote:
Today 08:06 AM
musang

looks like it.. india has finally opened her skies, albeit a bit late.

Hyderabad Intl: will it be developed in phases? can someone post pics of the current airport, please..
Current Hyderabad International Airport to be shut down when New Int. Airport is ready to operate by 2007/2008

Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:57 AM   #27
musang
abed

namaste Hindustani.. thanks much for the pics.

the new airport is indeed very modern-looking, sleek, and classy.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:35 AM   #28
KrYpNoTiC
WASSSSUPP!!!

Likes (Received): 0

hmm that new int airport looks quite big for roughly 2.3mill pax per annum for Hyderabad, must be a long awaited boom or something. Looks terrific!
KrYpNoTiC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM   #29
PlaneMad
Non-Paying Member

Likes (Received): 174

The pvt airlines list just got bigger

Air Deccan
Air Sahara
Jet Airways
Kingfisher
Royal Airways (SpiceJet)

Those to Come:

Air One
Air Excellence
City Air
Crystal Air
East-West Airlines
Go Airlines
India Shuttle
Indus Air
InterGlobe
Kerala Airways
Magic Air
Paramount
Sky Blue
Skylark
Visaa Airways
Yamuna Airlines

No they didnt announce overnight, just forgot to include them previously.

As you can see there is quite a long waiting list, their success depends on how well they can take away the travellers from the Indian Railways.

Last edited by PlaneMad; June 3rd, 2005 at 09:18 PM. Reason: list became bigger :P
PlaneMad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:55 PM   #30
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrYpNoTiC
hmm that new int airport looks quite big for roughly 2.3mill pax per annum for Hyderabad, must be a long awaited boom or something. Looks terrific!
The big rendering with the paralel runways and 2 terminals is obviously the masterplan. The renderings above show a for more modest terminal inkeeping with passenger volumes of around 3-5 million. The masterplan (on the first page) seems to suggest volumes of 20 million + passengers and alot of domestic air movements (ie:the small size of most of the stands). Depending on India's growth in wealth the materplan seems to be a way down the track (10-20 years) from now.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:22 PM   #31
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariR
India is touted to have one of the largest middle class on earth. Its stated to be around 400 million and increasing.
Whats the definition of middle class?

With 400 million middle class India's airports should be bristling with planes and high passenger volumes (Mumbai and Delhi 100 million+ passengers for instance instead of 13 and 10 million).

Middle class seems to be a relative concept in this case.

Looking at the passenger volumes of India's major airports I would be more inclined to put the figure at around 15 million (using westren countries transportation as a benchmark). With the current growth in India I think the numbers will increase to 100 million in 20 years or so justifying such plans as this.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:37 PM   #32
PlaneMad
Non-Paying Member

Likes (Received): 174

The reason why there is so little air travel is that there is an extensive and extremely cheap railway network in India.
In India saving money is much more important than time, which is why the public prefer the railways rather than flying.
Only with the launch of LCCs, this trend is changing although the cheapest air ticket is still comparitively higher compared to rail fares.
PlaneMad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:43 PM   #33
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Yes India has a decent middle class. But the problem is in India air-travel is just TOO costly. Ok now with the low cost carriers, it is coming down. Earlier the state owned carriers's price was just too high. For example it can cost 3-4 times to fly by aeroplane from Mumbai to Chennai or Delhi than by First Class ac in trains. India has over 60,000 km of tracks. The railway is damn cheap. You can go from Delhi to Mumbai comfortbly fro Rs1000, that is around $20. In airplane it is around 10,000 or more. So its obvious that the middle class chooses train.

Of course now with the influx of new airlines, they are beginning to compete with the trains. In India middle class means having an average middle class home has atleast one 2-wheeler(mobike/scooter), tv, fridge, decent furniture, a good house/apartment/condo and other facilities. Of course in dollar terms it is less, but in the quality of life(education, healthcare etc), it can be said it is almost equal.

Only now is air travel is catching up. Lets see what happens in a decade. But the figure of around 400 million is a fact. This can be gauged from the increasing vehicle sales, tv/fridge/wasing machines etc sales.

www.ironaddicts.com
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM   #34
KIWIKAAS

I dont doubt that India will be a huge market (generally and for air travel) in the coming years.
India's growth patterns will resemble that of China now and we will see alot of new infrastructure.
I was curious as to the definition of middle class in India as the air-traffic volumes just didnt add up with the 400 million figure. Thanks for the explanation. As a travel agent I know what you mean about the price of air tarvel in India. It will be interesting to see the impact of the LCCs in the coming years. My estimates of 20 years could be way off potentially.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:08 PM   #35
nova
Distant glory

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad
The reason why there is so little air travel is that there is an extensive and extremely cheap railway network in India.
In India saving money is much more important than time, which is why the public prefer the railways rather than flying.
Only with the launch of LCCs, this trend is changing although the cheapest air ticket is still comparitively higher compared to rail fares.
Not only that, the government has done a poor job of developing aviation infrastructure in India. They are only now waking up to upgrade this infrastructure - and with all these LCCs coming I think IR will begin to feel the heat.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:16 PM   #36
nova
Distant glory

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS
The big rendering with the paralel runways and 2 terminals is obviously the masterplan. The renderings above show a for more modest terminal inkeeping with passenger volumes of around 3-5 million. The masterplan (on the first page) seems to suggest volumes of 20 million + passengers and alot of domestic air movements (ie:the small size of most of the stands). Depending on India's growth in wealth the materplan seems to be a way down the track (10-20 years) from now.
You're right - that is the masterplan. It's a phased development, and I believe Phase 1 is only for 4-5 million pax/annum. Off the top of my head, I can't remember all my figures, but yes, I believe around 20 million pax/annum is indeed the goal of the masterplan. And the masterplan is perhaps 10 - 15 years down the line. I'm sorry but I don't know the exact figures. But I believe your guesstimates are pretty good.

That said, as for the renders, I wouldn't put much faith in them. The Airports Authority of India is not known for transparency. Even for private projects, we often see poor or non-existent renders. As a result, the final product can often end up being anyone's guess. For example, there is a brand new terminal and other upgrades happening at Amritsar (in another part of India entirely), and we still haven't seen renders. Similarly for a project supposed to commence at Ahmedabad; only a picture of a model which seems not to be a "final" thing, but just a preliminary impression.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:31 AM   #37
Amit

deleted

Last edited by Amit; June 3rd, 2005 at 01:40 AM.
Amit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:37 AM   #38
Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS
Whats the definition of middle class?
Looking at the passenger volumes of India's major airports I would be more inclined to put the figure at around 15 million (using westren countries transportation as a benchmark). With the current growth in India I think the numbers will increase to 100 million in 20 years or so justifying such plans as this.
15 million is too small a number for India's middle class, just as 400 million is an oversized number. I am not completly sure of the following statistics, but here it goes..

According to NCAER (National Council for Applied Economic Research - India), the upper middle class in India has expanded from 15 million in 1991 to 100 million in 2004. Upper middle class in India is defined as people living in households with annual incomes between $ 4,600 (Rs 200,000) and $ 23,200 (Rs 1,000,000). The lower middle class has another 200 million people, and is defined as people living in households with annual incomes between $ 1,900 (Rs 80,000) and $ 4,600 (Rs 200,000). So the total middle class is 300 million.

These numbers have NOT been adjusted for purchasing power parity.
Amit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:25 AM   #39
yesheh
Registered eccentric

singapore flies in to hyderbad too, direct from changi
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:45 AM   #40
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 14109

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesheh
singapore flies in to hyderbad too, direct from changi
It's SilkAir (subsidiary of Singapore) I believe.

Airlines at Hyderabad

1. Indian Airlines / Alliance
2. Air Sahara (Hub)
3. Jet Airways
4. Deccan Air
5. Air India
6. SriLankan
7. Emirates
8. Malaysian
9. SilkAir
10. Saudia
11. Lufthansa