daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #141
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Yes! what a lame newpaper, Chriszwolle put the photo the argentinean newspaper used... but it was not a photo of the actual motorway but just a random pic that must had googled the graphic designer of the newspaper... and yes, it's an spanish motorway.

In regards to the Santa Fe - Parana autovia even being a link between 2 capital cities it's more of a very urban expressway than anything else, as both cities are very close, there are a lot of towns along the route and most people living there think of them as a single metropolitan area. There are plans to build a real motorway to completely by pass Santa Fe and Parana by the south of both cities (linking Santo Tome and La Picasa) but it's not yet approved.

------------------
------------------

In other argentinean news, this is the list of upcoming openings of motorways:
(information and photos come from the argentinean Skycrapercity forum, local newspapers and/or Firestone Atlas de Rutas 2010. All dates should be considered tentative. All of them are conversions to 2x2 of old 1x1 national routes)

- Villa Mercedes - Arizona: 256 kms ---> Late 2011
(((It will continue to the south, what google maps incorrectly shows as National Road 148 from Villa Mercedes to Villa del Merlo, but that nowdays it's actually a full motorway and renamed Provincial Motorway 55, the picture below it's from this motorway)))

--------------

Trelew - Puerto Madryn: 71 kms -----> at some point of 2011
(((It will incluide also the Trelew bypass and continue 12 kms north beyond Puerto Madryn. It will be the southernmost motorway in the word. -There is actually a short (26 km) motorway entering Rio Gallegos, but it's more urban in nature. Pic below shows contruction progress on early 2010)))

--------------

Santa Fe/Santo Tome - San Francisco/Frontera : 136 kms -----> May 2011
(((according to local newspapers it's over 85% finished and althought it's a bit delayed from the original Dec 2010 opening date, the construction speed was quite good: 3 years. Pic below show construction works on late 2009)))

--------------

Zarate/Buenos Aires - Paso de los Libres/Brazil border: 450 kms -----> Late 2011 - Mid 2012
(((the first 100 kms Zarate - Gualeguaychú are already on service. Heavy construction on the rest, including some complex by passes to cities and towns. Pic below of one of them )))

----------

[B]Also on the works:

Parana - Concordia/Uruguay Border : 230 kms -----> Late 2013

(((status: tender proposals opened on Sept 2010, decision pending)))

Cipoletti-Neuquen-Plottier-Arroyito metro area bypass: 50 kms aprox ---> 2011-2012
(((under construction)))

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #142
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Those photos suggest that it's dual carriageway rather than full-flex motorway. The existing entry of Rio Gallegos is exactly that, too. Nonetheless, it's great to see some pictures of Argentine motorways. It's a country I'd love to add to my website about motorway signage across the world.
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #143
MrAkumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Those photos suggest that it's dual carriageway rather than full-flex motorway. The existing entry of Rio Gallegos is exactly that, too. Nonetheless, it's great to see some pictures of Argentine motorways. It's a country I'd love to add to my website about motorway signage across the world.
Yes, that's correct. technically speaking all them are dual carriageway, upgrades of existing highways. However argentinean traffic density and scattered population end up on the advantages of a full motorway being very limited, since you can drive fast and safely on the dualcarrigeways, which usually have a 130 km/h speed limit. Even most of the 1x1 highways have little traffic and were built avoiding towns and with non sharp turns, so you can drive fast and safely most of the time (speed limit on them is usually 110 km/h -- although the average car goes at 130-140 km/h---).

(That said, allow me to state that of course there are still several pretty dangerous highways with way too much traffic on which upgrades to 2x2 are extremely necesary. But they made only 5-10% of the total amount).

Full-flex long distance motorways there are only the following in Argentina: Buenos Aires-Rosario, Rosario-Santa Fe and Cordoba-Rosario. There is also a great number of urban and semi urban motorways on a radio of 100 kms of the Buenos Aires metropolitan area.
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #144
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Fully agree that there is no need to upgrade many roads in rural Argentina beyond dual carriageway. If an upgrade to dual carriageway is at all needed.

The point about technically being a motorway is more important for the bragging rights as to who has the World's southernmost motorway. Around Dunedin, New Zealand, there is a formal motorway that is more to the South than Trelew - Puerto Madryn. But it is an urban route only, much like the dual carriageway in Rio Gallegos. A good contender for the Southernmost continuous route at motorway standard may be CH-5 running up to Puerto Montt.

In other words, it's all about the definitions you use :-)
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #145
nex

Likes (Received): 1

Maybe this map(a) can help fill the gaps, its from 2008
Just outline all those projects in study, under construction and finished.

nex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Oh, just a 14.6 MB map

Great quality though.

Is the Buenos Aires - Mar del Plata motorway a real Autopista or more like an expressway?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #147
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

It's mostly just a divided highway/dual carriageway with a short stretch of autopista near the outskirts of Buenos Aires.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #148
ngfede
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Hi people, I can put this map, its about the perfect model of highways in Argentina, its a law in project (delayed), so it's not the actual state of highways but how it will be in the future.

Actually most of that highways are common roads of 2 ways

Some of this highways finished, these are
:
half AU9 (Buenos Aires-Córdoba) - completed will link Córdoba to the north with Bolivia
AU2 (Buenos Aires-Mar del Plata)
half AU19 (Santa Fe-Córdoba)
half of AU7 (Buenos Aires-Mendoza-Santiago de Chile)
and AU14 called Mercosur highway is in construction finished next year -2012-) Buenos Aires-Uruguayana (Brazil direct connection)

The main connections are planned to be highways in the next years, and the following are AU8, AU22, AU34 (or AU9 north)

Total highways pojected: 15.533 kms.

Also, there are a road, not highway because its phisically impossible, National Route Nº40 (marked as red line in the map) connecting with the country's northernmost city (La Quiaca, Jujuy province, borderline with Bolivia), with the southern most Río Gallegos, travelling in parallel way with chain mountains Los Andes. About 5.200 Kms. Map here

In the moment which all highways will be finnished, that day will be the moment in which the country start the way of the real development.
Chile, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Brasil will be sucsessfully connected and the zone can be enhanced significantly

regards

Last edited by ngfede; January 15th, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
ngfede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #149
MrAkumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngfede View Post
Hi people, I can put this map, its about the perfect model of highways in Argentina, its a law in project (delayed), so it's not the actual state of highways but how it will be in the future.
This project has been under study for at least 20 years now and was never even been a govermental proposal but just a private one... However from time to time always someone posts it on forums and confuses people.

I don't think it will be ever approved. Let's better focus the thread on actual projects and constructions. Some of these motorways are extremely unlikely to be built over our lifetimes (such as the one on Patagonia south of Trelew) and others not on the plan are already under construction (Parana-Concordia) or finished (Villa Mercedes - Arizona -opened this week-)... So it really makes no sense to post it. It's not really helpful beyond what you said: imagining what would be an ideal motorway network for Argentina in order to develop the country.

The 14.6 M map posted by Nex is good, I will mark motorways under constrution and tendered later today on it.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:30 AM   #150
MrAkumana

Just as promised the status of argentininean motorway network as of today

The map I made has very up to date information, including motorways opened this week just like Villa Mercedes - Arizona (256 km) and/or just tendered as Cordoba-San Francisco and Parana-Concordia.

Color guides:

BLUE -----> full motorway with grade separations.

WHITE/PINK ----> 2x2 dual carriage expressway with some grade separations and some same level crossings. No sharp turns, and mostly 130 km/h speed limit.

GREEN -----> motorway or 2x2 dual carriage expressway under construction

YELLOW -----> motorway or 2x2 dual carriage expressway with tender in process

Note: this is all real information as of today, no plans or political promises. Check the full map as some motorways are very far apart from one another and on some unexpected places.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM   #151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Quote:
including motorways opened this week just like Villa Mercedes - Arizona (256 km)
Can you tell us some more about that? What's the official name / number of this Autopista? And what are the specs? According to diariouno this road cost 512 million pesos (that's € 340 000 per kilometer, for reference) which sounds incredibly cheap to me, even taking the very favorable terrain into account.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:36 AM   #152
MrAkumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Can you tell us some more about that? What's the official name / number of this Autopista? And what are the specs? According to diariouno this road cost 512 million pesos (that's € 340 000 per kilometer, for reference) which sounds incredibly cheap to me, even taking the very favorable terrain into account.
The amount is correct. According to argentinean newspapers the average amount of motorway building in Argentina it's currently around AR$ 3 millon / km. But somehow San Luis Province (the goverment that built that motorway -Argentina it's a federal state-) is able to construct motorways for just around AR$ 2 millons/ km. This secondary province with a population of 430.000 has an incredible 800 km of motorways, almost 40% of the total argentinean interurban motorway network according to some sources, (Argentina has a population of 40 millon).

In regards to the price it must be taken into account that these kind of motorways don't have hard shoulders (or shoulders at all...) and sometimes the "motorway building" consist on just building a paralel highway to the existing one and adding some bridges and city bypasses...

The name of the Villa Mercedes - Arizona motorway is "Autopista por la paz del mundo ("For World Peace" Motorway... ).
It's actually an upgrade from an existing highway, the RP 55 (each province in Argentina has their own RP (Ruta Provincial - provincial road) and it's likely that other provinces have an RP 55 too... and it's hard to tell one from another... In signs it's likely to be called Autopista Provincial 55.

It's a 2x2 dual carriage expressway with some grade crossings, 130 km/h speed limit (not enforced, 150-160 km/h it's a common speed on argentinean motorways) and some level crossings. No toll. The main reason for building this motorway were to favor tourism in San Luis area and to serve as a alternative for trucks and cars going south (Neuquen area, Patagonia area) from Cordoba area (the second largest argentinean city).

Last edited by MrAkumana; March 23rd, 2011 at 04:01 AM. Reason: fixed San Luis population
MrAkumana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #153
ngfede
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

MrAkumana,
why you consider with pink colour autopista Nº7, you only have a sanitary control stop in Mendoza limit with San Luis (Desaguadero), but from Mendoza to Villa Mercedes I don't remember any level crossing or anything interfering the main road.

About the map it's correct, I visited last month the 4 central provinces (Buenos Aires, Córdoba, San Luis and Mendoza) and I confirm the map and his road status.
ngfede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #155
snowland
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Nearby Buenos Aires

image hosted on flickr
snowland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #156
daneo

Likes (Received): 13

Awesome, this thread should get a lot more attention, and especially: more pictures!

Where can we find 8 laned highways in Argentina? Just in Mendoza and B.A, right?
daneo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #157
snowland
BANNED

I'm not sure if they have 8 laned highways in Mendoza... I'd say 6. Remember Argentina's a very centralized country (not the most although in South America).

I agree we should take care of this thread, but the fact is that it isn't easy to find great photos... I'll try to help it a bit more.
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #158
snowland
BANNED

Circunvalación de Cordoba

It's a pretty old freeway in the city of Cordoba. Now they restarted its expansion.

image hosted on flickr

Old November 11th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #159
JuanCA.-
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

En Rosario hay obras no?

I like so much the Panamerican Highway!
JuanCA.- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #160
snowland
BANNED

Rosario

Its Circunvalación is getting a 3rd new lane.