daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18182

MONTREAL | Public Transport

The Montréal metro is made up of 65 stations spread out along four lines. First inaugurated on October 14, 1966, it now consists of 65 stations on 4 lines totalling 60.85 km in length. In 2001, 214.6 passengers rode on the 4 lines, totalling 47 million car-kilometers.

Even before the beginning of its construction in the early 60s, Montréal’s métro was promised to have a style of its own: Every station was to be conceived by a distinct architect. Instead of travelling on a system where all stations are alike – which is the case for most metros in the world – Montrealers would commute in a system where every station is unique and decorated with artworks. In fact, initiators of the project, leaded by mayor Jean Drapeau, insisted that art be integrated to stations. Thenceforth, the population of Montréal came into contact with an aspect of our culture that was until then only seen in museums.

More photos : http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/g...real-metro.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; September 30th, 2016 at 09:04 AM.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #2
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I love Montreal's Metro. Great stations and makes the TTC subways look Stalinistic. The TTC system and service is far superior to Montreal's but the Metro is grreat.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #3
AG

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
In 2001, 214.6 passengers rode on the 4 lines
Gee, that seems quite a small number of passengers. Where does the .6 figure come from?

Montreal's metro looks great. Are the trains rubber-tyred?
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Whoops .. 214.6 million

Yes, the trains run on rubber wheels, just like the Paris Metro.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #5
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 9

How much quieter are the trains compared to conventional wheel metros?
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

They make a very musical sound when they accelerate and it's very soothing to the ear compared to metal rubbing metal. The sound level wasn't noticeably different to me but the sound itself was different when the train was running.

Old June 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #7
TipNTop
Chartreuse,Vodka,Orangina

Likes (Received): 287

Yeah it's really quiter! And more comfortable (I think...).
TipNTop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #8
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
They make a very musical sound when they accelerate and it's very soothing to the ear compared to metal rubbing metal. The sound level wasn't noticeably different to me but the sound itself was different when the train was running.
I for one think thats a beautiful sound, especially in a concrete tunnel :P

And yes, I'd imagine its a hell of a lot smooother, simply because of the considerable less friction, better balance etc.
Old June 4th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #9
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Nice pictures. The Métro stations are so great! I think the rubber tires are great for the sound, but it makes it bumpier sometimes. I don't know, it's fair trade off. I believe Paris' Métro is not completely rubber-tired, only certain lines. I think it was the first completely rubber-tired system in the world (how many more are there anyway?). I wonder why more systems haven't gone to that option.

I'm interested to know what the attendence for Toronto's subway is? These are two almost comparable systems (in terms of length and number of stations, though their layouts are very different as well as commuting patterns).
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #10
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Everyone seems to be saying they like the rubber better, so why don't more systems use them??
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #11
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I find the Metro much quieter but the cars are much smaller than the TTC cars.
I find them quieter especially when coming into the stations and they don't squel as much when they stop.
Funny thou, I always thought they kinda smelt like burnt rubber.

I 'm not exactly sure why they don't have more systems like it but it might have to with a limited number of suppliers and maybe that makes them more expensive. Just a guess.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #12
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
Everyone seems to be saying they like the rubber better, so why don't more systems use them??
Other systems do use them. Mexico City and Santiago de Chile, for example. Santiago de Chile actually runs on some of the lines the same exact trainsets as the Parisian metro.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #13
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

I know that some other cities use them, but 90% don't and there has to be a reason for it.
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #14
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2531

The answer is the bumpy ride of that Rbber tyre metro ... comparign with the good old steel wheels
Old June 5th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #15
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3671

I know very well Montreal metro and I love it!

I recommend you the website of my friend Matt:

www.metrodemont*********

It is great!!

川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #16
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 3025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisarut
The answer is the bumpy ride of that Rbber tyre metro ... comparign with the good old steel wheels
That is correct. Rubber tired vehicles are naturally more bumpy while steel wheeled vehicles offer a smooth ride. Just ride in any airport people mover that is guided but uses rubber tires and you will notice the difference. I like the Montreal Metro but I am curious to know if it too is quite as bumpy as a rubber tired people mover.
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #17
York Transit

Likes (Received): 1

If you ride east from Lionel-Groulx on the green line, it's really bumpy, you're literally bobbing up and down. I personally find the trains (tires) much more louder than the TTC's trains...The service is ok but could use improvement, especially on sundays...
York Transit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #18
Haber

Likes (Received): 0

Are there any plans to expand the metro or build a line to P.E.T. Airport (Dorval) ? What about extensions of the line to Longueil?
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #19
Chavito

Likes (Received): 5

Mexico City's metro is rubber tires. All lines except Line A uses the rubber system like Paris or Montreal... because of the French design.

The system is not noisy but trains are smaller than they could. This metro system is really busy and trains are full of people almost all day...
Chavito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #20
Caracho
Metronauta

Likes (Received): 13

Rubber Tires v/s Steel Wheels

The Metro Systems of Paris, Montreal and Mexico are Rubber tyred because those were made between the 50's (First tests in Paris) and the 70's. The rubber tires offered smoother rides but they were more expensive because don't support too much weight, so the cars are smaller (2,50 m wide x 17 m long app.)
Those trains were better in steep tunnels, so the Lyon and Marsella Metros in France were inaugurated in the late 70's with this system, but the excesive maintenance prices and the few builders of these trains were the principal reason to change the system in Mexico and in Santiago in its new lines.
Actual steel trains are quieter than most of rubber tired metros because of better rails and suspension systems.

Excuse my bad english

Greetings
Caracho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, metro, montreal, quebec