daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2011, 09:13 PM   #201
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

"Hopefully"? Relatively-speaking, we are --uhm-- crucifying the MTC and the MTA here Plus, that's why I tried invoking a term "'arterialscape'" earlier .

Larmey! there is a gallic thing sorta happening, being the Tram-train concept (that I understand as to be hailing from the French Republic...even! the MTA themselves are hailing it as being "new" [«nouveau»]).
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #202
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
"Hopefully"? Relatively-speaking, we are --uhm-- crucifying the MTC and the MTA here Plus, that's why I tried invoking a term "'arterialscape'" earlier .

Larmey! there is a gallic thing sorta happening, being the Tram-train concept (that I understand as to be hailing from the French Republic...even! the MTA themselves are hailing it as being "new" [«nouveau»]).
I thought the regulations in Quebec prohibited the running of urban rail vehicles on mailine tracks.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:48 AM   #203
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Besides, the current Montreal metro could not be extended significantly even if it could go outside because the lines already have near the maximum number of stops. A line cannot have more than about 15 stops from the end to the most common destination (usually city centre) since it makes for a tedious journey. NY and London overcome this by having express service, but the Montreal Metro doesn't have the extra tracks that would allow trains to pass each other. Adding such a capability would be massively expensive. Therefore, as Montreal grows, the best option would be to eventually build an S-Bahn/RER/BART type suburban system that would serve outlying areas. But until the city is large enough to justify the expense, it can make do by upgrading and expanding commuter rail.
Good points overall in this post, but I'd like to point out that the metros in Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, and Tokyo don't follow this paradigm. (Line 1 in Seoul does have an express service, although it's infrequent enough that it doesn't necessarily save a lot of time.) If the lines are extended, people will ride them. It may be tedious, but if it's cheaper and less frustrating than commuting on a crowded freeway, it's a better option.
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #204
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
I thought the regulations in Quebec prohibited the running of urban rail vehicles on mailine tracks.
Not Quebec's regs (provinces up here aren't mandated enough for railway stuff): It's the enormous tagging onto the yanks' sets of regs by our own federal ones, I believe.

The cbc reported some months ago that our federal regs are to be overhauled: any chance of the same thing happening with the USA's sets (train operations, configurations even...)?

Kind of off-topic, but the CPR's being really obstinate at providing free, safe & secure access across its not-all-that-busy-docklands-serving-multi-tracked ROW through one of the densest 'hoods in the land here. The CPR is so almighty enough to be in the possession of The right to be fining (obligatorily-speaking-) trespassers, a creed of either a Mile-End or a Petite-Patrie local who follows any one of numerous holes in the trackside fences, 144$CDN. In 2011. What I ain't been hearing is how about revising The Railway Act of Canada instead of wasting time at pining away on intra-Victorian ideals this far in the future For instance, how many years has the footbridge linking Park X and Villeray been allowed to have been demolished due to 'pestersome' deterioration?

Moreover, english cbc radio's local morning show about three months ago featured on the line all da way from Calgary a CPR spokesperson (executive staff) who was allowed to categorise, on our airwaves, that docklands-serving ROW as plied-by-commuters. This utterance of hers was not corrected, plus it's been so flippin' long that none of us could have any bloody idea which semi-century she must've yapped out loud

Regretably, substantial tunnel, surface or even elevated dedicated rail service is lightyears off this region's radar here.

Last edited by trainrover; May 27th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #205
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railway Gazette
AMT electro-diesel arrives in Montréal

Montréal commuter rail authority Agence Métropolitaine de Transport took delivery of its first Bombardier-built ALP-45 electro-diesel locomotives on June 9. The first of 20 locos was officially received by AMT President & CEO Joël Gauthier and the Vice-President of Business Development & Communications for Bombardier Transportation North America Ann MacDonald.

Built at Kassel in Germany, the locomotive was shipped from Hamburg to Newark, New Jersey, and moved to Montréal under its own power; it will be commissiond at AMT’s Saint-Eustache depot where the Deux-Montagnes commuter EMUs are maintained. The remaining locos are to be delivered at the rate of one a month, allowing AMT to expand services on its five existing lines and open the Train de l’Est route now under development.
Story continues here
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #206
trainrover

Thank you for sharing that article because neither I nor The Montreal Gazette knew the proper term Electro-diesel locomotive

Plus another thank-you for inducing me to (quickly ) score the ALP-45DP model name

By the way, regional politicians --and rightly so-- are fussing with the authority/ies about danger behind locos passing under Mount Royal, to which the latest autoritative reply's been that hazards have been mitigated by multiple fuel compartments (eight's worth?) to our own ALP-45DP fuel tanks. Their reply makes me wonder what suffix'll be tacked onto the model name (I see that our tanks hold 200 more --uhm-- Bombardier US gallons than New Jersey's does). Plus, just what must've lead up to the purchase of 125MPH / 200KPH locos by our commuter operator, especially were its relatively-predominant restrictive 10MPH speed limits considered?
Quote:
This last bit of good news makes me wonder how much closer the region might've become to all-night metro service. Anyhow, why doesn't the operator just run a couple of trains to call at every third station or thereabouts overnight?

Last edited by trainrover; June 17th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #207
trainrover

Quote:
It would appear that Gare Lucien L'Allier is going to be retrofitted. I wonder if there be any plan to install track-end hydraulic buffers

clickable, from novembre 2009

...............surely this one must've been discarded by one of this year's visiting Jazz fest musicians

clickable

image hosted on flickr

this one possibly pre-dates WWII (was trying to find an image of the ginormous ones equipping London's terminal Euston Station)!

[IMG]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9_icpW_eLuV9vHX7na9VFOWagIH3RgFskYtursIoQapxPxsGs&t=1[/IMG]
clickable
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #208
batman08

Likes (Received): 700

When is expected to begin construction of new sections of the subway?
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #209
trainrover

It's not expected. There's talk-talk-talk (reports), however, the past several weeks proposing private investment to fund expansion of the network in time for the city's 375th anniversary (2017).
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #210
Apple1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Trafic problems in Montreal

Hello,

Is there a thread on traffic issues in Montreal? It is such an incredible mess, and it affects tourism and even the value of houses on the island and even the economic activity of what was once called the "Metropolis of Canada".

The enormity of the problem is considerable. Two week-ends ago, I left lake Placid while a colleague was heading back to Manhattan. I live in St-Lambert, so usually, I do not have to go on the island. However that day, I had supper on Plateau Mont-Royal.

As incredible as it may seems, my colleague arrived in Manhattan before I arrived on the Plateau Mont-Royal. I waited around two hours to cross Champlain bridge [truly]. Then I was blocked downtown. Many streets were closed. Two one-ways had changed direction, etc.

Of course, I was late for supper - my host were unhappy .... but they did believe me. Every one in the city has experienced the traffic problems.

Seriously, the economic impact of this major traffic problems seems considerable. At my work, an economist told us that the actual mess will necessarily negatively impact building projects on the island. And it would increase the... decreasing population trend on the island as well.

Local Montreal Gazette newspaper states that there is a real crisis going on.
"This is a full-blown crisis. It’s time everyone started to behave like they know this."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Gazet...#ixzz1RjIlJFNy
Is somebody aware of citizen's mobilization on the issue?

And if there is none, would it be worth starting a thread were issues could be explored and solutions and actions considered?

p.s.: Maybe I am on the wrong thread... If so, please tell me where to go!!!!

Last edited by Apple1; July 10th, 2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: mistake: bad choice of thread maybe?
Apple1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #211
trainrover

Yes, although you are on the wrong thread (I don't think any Montrealer's dared to create such a thread).
  • Champlain Bridge has been assessed at risk of collapsing
  • One of the Mercier Bridge spans has been shut for three months' of emergency repairs
  • The Turcott interchange is also at risk, as are its (super!-) elevated approaches

When the Mercier span was shut some Monday morning mid-June, an afternoon traffic reporter kept announcing that afternoon that the Agence métropolitain de transport was putting on new "routes", "nine new lines", and other such gibberish when all the English-speaking fella meant to say was that extra Montréal-Candiac trains were being commissioned into service for the emergency repairs -- it astonishes me that locals don't understand what trains are

In short, it's frightening

Last edited by trainrover; July 14th, 2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: nine new lines (not 'nine new routes'); thread now created
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #212
trainrover

filmed from N America's possibly-oldest metro fleet
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #213
trainrover

the country's largest metro interchange now into the 3rd month of its 5-year-long renovation
+ part of its renovation budget allocated for installation of temporary mock-ups (walls, columns, etc)
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #214
trainrover

(Empty) Blue-line train finishing its St-Michel-to-Snowdon run
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #215
trainrover

(Emtpy) Blue-line train preparing its Snowdon-to-St-Michel run
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #216
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

The tunnel goes quite far beyond the terminus!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #217
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
I'd certainly have reported the faulty doors instead of filming it...
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #218
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The tunnel goes quite far beyond the terminus!
Right. What you're looking at is what was being reported back in the mid-1980s as being a garage (depot/yard), but it's really just an arrière gare, a 'behind-the-station'. It's length stems from the chord linking the Blue & Orange Lines (Snowdon station's an interchange). Wealthy Hampsteaders either sued or threated to sue the construction authority/ies due to all the cracks their house foundations suffered, the ones on streets that intersected with Queen Mary Rd from all the rock blasting boring the tunnel under the Road. It's sort of funny that no such foundation-cracking has been reported by any residents of any other community/district.

Here's an example of a real garage:

my first time viewing one
Oh! how typical of Montrealers at loving to make their tyres squeal

Last edited by trainrover; July 15th, 2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #219
trainrover

And here's a regular arrière gare (terminal station Honoré-Beaugrand just cropped out of view):

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #220
trainrover

same origin (as above), but to the garage this time around:

my first time viewing

Tags
canada, metro, montreal, quebec