daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #381
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Oops - replying wrong post...
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #382
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
In a statement, CN said it advised the AMT a year ago that electrifying tracks used by CN's diesel freight trains would be impossible due to "safety, engineering and operational obstacles." Diesel freight and electric commuter trains "could not realistically coexist," CN said.

A CP spokesperson, Ed Greenberg, said the AMT's proposal "would have required significant changes to our line, including ensuring the wire could clear our freight trains, such as trains moving double-stack containers." It could also "have required the raising of overhead structures, such as road overpasses."
If that's such an issue, why don't they just do 3rd rail like in much of southern England and parts of metro NYC? And of course 3rd rail also has the benefit of being more weather resistant since it cannot be brought down by high winds or freezing rain like wires can.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #383
trainrover

Passenger rail meddles with their lucrative revenue. The only "if"iness lies in their hoodwinking rationale, the blame ultimately falling onto ignorant on- and off-island --uhm-- consumers. Furthermore, it's not CN's own tracking that's being spied; moreover, what limits the height of catenary ... perilous icicles?

Nope. The only way to skirt the delay-induced obstinance is by bringing about legislation, although the obstinance ain't theirs alone, coz the authorities have been in bed with big business an awfully long time ... none of us sees Hydro Québec clamouring in the name of electrifying passenger service either. Plus all parties need to be bringing about infrastructure and stock that avoid incidents featured as follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Pros?

Cons?

Last edited by trainrover; September 14th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #384
trainrover

Yesterday's :
[INDENT]STM orders more articulated buses, plans three new express routes

The Société de transport de Montréal is buying 55 new articulated buses so it can launch three new express buses in 2013.
"... The aim: entice passengers now using the métro's Orange Line, which is overcrowded at rush hour. ..."

BTW, those busses bear nothing to be boasting about, cheap quality. Furthermore, most drivers delight at driving the fleet to its early grave ... it's clear they hate them all...

Last edited by trainrover; September 21st, 2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #385
trainrover

14 Sep 2012 :
STM seeks Quebec funding to boost service; 2013 fare hike "likely"

Last edited by trainrover; September 18th, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old September 18th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #386
trainrover

Last edited by trainrover; September 18th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #387
trainrover

Old September 18th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #388
trainrover

My kind of trainspotting: snappy & varied
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #389
trainrover

By the looks of the video alone, it's clear that this advancement won't come to be any time soon besides, it's too geared for the business traveller, not your regular one; clearly, the airport authority (and the rail operator) has no qualm, it ought to be ashamed.
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:30 AM   #390
trainrover

Quote:
Gériatrique Tremblay a presque volé l'idée de réinstaller un réseau de tramway du Projet Montréal. En tout cas, je n'envisage guère que les citadins Montréalais toléraient encore des durées à plusieurs reprises infinitives à témoigner des enlèvements des chausées du boul. Côte-des-Neiges et de l'av. du Parc en les faisant accommoder des voies de tramway...

Old September 21st, 2012, 04:39 AM   #391
trainrover

History repeating itself ... following video features late-1970s(?) launch of flooding city centre with direct express services that were lifted soon afterwards in the mid-1980s, because the STM gained control of the remainder of the island's bus services plus the region's commuter trains, although operation of the trains was transferred to the AMT less than ten years later:

100 years ago, the up-down segment of the red-highlighted part of the 'blue' line was supposed to get subway service, but WW1 effectively robbed this Mount Royal tunnel service of the eight rapid transit cars (serving only four miles of the line), the production order being cancelled; then in the '60s, all of the red-highlighted segment was supposed to become Line 3 of the metro, but the 1967 world's fair compelled the city to lay a metro instead under the river and fairgrounds to the South Shore (Line 4, yellow):

fantasized network

Last edited by trainrover; September 21st, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:00 AM   #392
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Then again -- 07 Aug 2012: :
Importants retards pour le Plan de transport de Montréal

What a sham
That headline sounds really funny to my English ears.

"Stupid, self-important people for the Transport Plan"
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:06 AM   #393
trainrover

Trust your suspicion, it's dead right

Seeming further proof of the authorities' disingenuous intention at expanding the metro system ... video featuring expansion of bus maintenance centre where heavy maintenance is also conducted on the metro fleets:

With a replacement fleet featuring more metro cars than the original ones --supposedly in anticipation of an eastward extension of the Blue line proper, which, to date, I hadn't bothered sharing here-- forecast a couple of years from now, whereabouts will those extra cars be either parked or maintained? Sheer ignorance deprives east enders of dignified rapid transport into the city centre; the Mount Royal should be reverted to its initial purpose, doubling as a metro line (in addition to commuter services), thus enabling them to skirt the crush conditions on both eastern segments of the Orange and Green lines
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:26 AM   #394
trainrover

19 sep 2012 :
Le prolongement de la ligne bleue est prioritaire pour Montréal

Montréal veut prolonger la ligne bleue du métro «en priorité sur les autres lignes» et entend rappeler au gouvernement Marois ses promesses en la matière.

clickable...

I can only speculate why this one still hasn't made it onto the English daily's pages

Last edited by trainrover; September 22nd, 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:44 AM   #395
trainrover

Today's :
'I made too many complaints'

Frequent user of STM'S adapted transit service says staff can be rude and service leaves much to be desired
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:01 AM   #396
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Thanks for the updates, trainrover.

If you find any other important retards riding the metro around Montreal all day, please let us know.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:29 AM   #397
trainrover

I think the only thing important about the whole matter is that there are SO many of them, all of whom are inapable of making it back up to the surface, and being the other way around: they keep finding me

Just to be clear, «importants retards» translates to "major delays"

Today's :
Photos: Check out Montreal's new métro cars

The STM is inviting the public to check out Montreal's new métro cars Friday and Saturday, Sept. 21 and 22, 2012, from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. The display on McGill College Ave., between de Maisonneuve Blvd. and Ste. Catherine St. W., is being held in tandem with the STM's In Town Without My Car.

clickable...

Last edited by trainrover; September 22nd, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:46 AM   #398
trainrover

Today's :
Marois to make Transport an arm's-length agency

Quebec has a new govt, headed by the province's first female premier, thus I'd say there be a better chance of metro extensions being accomplished, although I ain't gona be holding my breath.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:19 AM   #399
tboy800

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
I think the only thing important about the whole matter is that there are SO many of them, all of whom are inapable of making it back up to the surface, and being the other way around: they keep finding me

Just to be clear, «importants retards» translates to "major delays"

Today's :
Photos: Check out Montreal's new métro cars

The STM is inviting the public to check out Montreal's new métro cars Friday and Saturday, Sept. 21 and 22, 2012, from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. The display on McGill College Ave., between de Maisonneuve Blvd. and Ste. Catherine St. W., is being held in tandem with the STM's In Town Without My Car.

clickable...
Nice trains...
tboy800 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:34 AM   #400
trainrover

Spotlights recessed into the ceiling is what impressed me about the mock-up early summer...when it was underground, mind you -- something relaxing about its lighting ... plus the square panes to its doors remind me of my fondness of the fleet from the late-30s that used to pass behind my house growing up

Last edited by trainrover; September 22nd, 2012 at 05:41 AM.

Tags
canada, metro, montreal, quebec