daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #861
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

^its a joke, you see. Sometimes people have little humor here.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #862
ninaH

Likes (Received): 1

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...jaF69AbRr-M%3A

https://canadianramen.wordpress.com/...rea-vs-canada/

"Bottom line to this story, Toronto…WHY THE HELL ARE YOU GOUGING US FOR SHIT SERVICE??? "

Public transport is pretty efficient in Sydney and I would say it is superior than the one in Montreal, Toronto and Melbourne (our rival city). We have 24 hours buses, a light rail line (plus we are building more lines), an extensive network of ferries. Plus the trains cover a lot of Sydney and its metropolitan area. Again, I have never been to toronto but I am considering to move there for a break , but I have heard that public transport over there is pretty bad and Toronto is always considered as one of the most livable cities in the world. Is it mandatory to have a car?? because I do not know how to drive.
ninaH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #863
ninaH

Likes (Received): 1

even our airport has a train line!!!!!! and we might start building a fast train line between sydney and melbourne.....why don't you guys have something like that between toronto and nyc or to and mo???

Sorry, I am just curious. Canada is a wealthy country and there will be a demand to supply...

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...tQG3vUeV8lM%3A
ninaH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #864
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaH View Post
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...jaF69AbRr-M%3A

https://canadianramen.wordpress.com/...rea-vs-canada/

"Bottom line to this story, Toronto…WHY THE HELL ARE YOU GOUGING US FOR SHIT SERVICE??? "

Public transport is pretty efficient in Sydney and I would say it is superior than the one in Montreal, Toronto and Melbourne (our rival city). We have 24 hours buses, a light rail line (plus we are building more lines), an extensive network of ferries. Plus the trains cover a lot of Sydney and its metropolitan area. Again, I have never been to toronto but I am considering to move there for a break , but I have heard that public transport over there is pretty bad and Toronto is always considered as one of the most livable cities in the world. Is it mandatory to have a car?? because I do not know how to drive.
Of course the major cities in Canada have 24 hour bus service as well, and the airport train in Toronto has recently had a major price reduction. I've never "been" to Sydney, but from the information I've seen pertaining to the different systems, I'm afraid I wouldn't agree with your claim.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

nameless dude liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #865
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
even our airport has a train line!!!!!! and we might start building a fast train line between sydney and melbourne.....why don't you guys have something like that between toronto and nyc or to and mo???

Sorry, I am just curious. Canada is a wealthy country and there will be a demand to supply...

The previous post by ChrisDVD includes a high frequency automated metro service to the Montreal airport (although Montreal already has a commuter rail stop beside the airport that just doesn't go right to the terminal).

In terms of your question, the reasons Canada hasn't built a highspeed rail line yet are probably the same as why Australia, an equally wealthy country, hasn't built one yet. Things like political will and spending priorities. Even if Australia does build one soon, one could still ask why it took until well into the 21st century, or why it took Sydney so long to build a proper metro line when Toronto and Montreal had built theirs in the mid 20th century. Things don't all happen at the same time.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

isaidso liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #866
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Birthday wishes

Happy 40th birthday to all the stations on the Green Line from Préfontaine to Honoré-Beaugrand. They all opened 1976.06.06, in time for the Summer Olympics.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #867
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10974

Quote:

In addition to what 'Nouvellecosse' wrote, one could say that we under went a huge cultural shift over the last 20 years.... one that's still on going. For most of the last century, central Canada was one of the most car centric jurisdictions on the planet. Think Michigan or southern California. It was heavily industrialized/blue collar with a culture that reflected that reality. Rail/transit was seen as a frivolous perk and people just didn't want to get out of their cars. It bears mentioning that the world's busiest highway is the 18 lane '401' that cuts through northern Toronto. Montreal's highway system is massive as well.

Despite this, we did invest heavily in transit back in the 70s/80s but dropped the ball after that. Toronto elected municipal governments that neglected it and found our transit systems bursting at the seams by 2000. We've been de-industrializing and transforming into white collar global cities at break neck speed. The culture has undergone tremendous upheaval and we're now in panic mode trying to fix the transit deficit. Even the old guard who love their cars realize we have to fix this. Toronto has grown so quickly that it didn't have any choice but to massively invest in rail/transit. Montreal didn't grow as fast so the transit deficit isn't as big but will see big upgrades/expansion of its system as well.

Toronto doesn't have the transit infrastructure it needs but they're under going a $30 billion 10 year build out. That said, transit is a lot better than you perceive it to be. We have a subway. We have regional rail. We have a big streetcar system. We have 24 hour bus service. And it's all being upgraded and expanded. We also have a direct rail line to the airport, a secondary airport right downtown, money being poured into the ferry service, a bike share program, and we're electrifying regional rail. I'm less familiar with Montreal but they're addressing transit as well.

We're not where we want to be but we're fixing what needs fixing. HSR between Toronto and Montreal is still being debated. The train that exists does 160km/h. Not HSR, but not slow like regional rail.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Dan78, arctic_carlos liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; June 7th, 2016 at 08:27 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #868
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

Tendering starts for Montreal rail project
Thursday, June 30, 2016

CDPQ Infra, Canada, published two requests for qualification on June 28 for its $C 5.5bn ($US 4.26bn) Metropolitan Electric Network (REM) project in Montreal to qualify candidates to bid for two contracts to build and equip the automated rail network

The two contracts comprise the $C 4bn engineering, procurement and construction contract and a $C 1.5bn contract covering the rolling stock, systems, operation and maintenance. CDPQ Infra will qualify up to three respondents to bid for each contract. The deadline for submissions is August 26

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #869
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 754

Opinion: Is the Caisse REM Montreal light-rail proposal really such a good idea?

Earlier this year, the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec proposed a 67 km system of light-rail transit (LRT) for Greater Montreal[...]

dimlys1994 liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #870
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Montreal's light rail project to require expropriations, affect water quality

Building a 67-kilometre light-rail network in Montreal could require expropriations, demolition of historic buildings and threaten several species, said the investment group behind the project[...]

Old August 18th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #871
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Sites for new West Island light-rail stations selected

Now that the proposed light-rail system is a sure thing, mayors of West Island municipalities with a light-rail station in their future have been meeting with the company managing the project[...]

Nouvellecosse, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old August 18th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #872
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Public hearings to begin for Montreal’s new light rail transit system

The BAPE public hearings on Montreal’s new electric light rail system (REM) will begin Aug. 29 and continue throughout the week as necessary[...]

Old August 25th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #873
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

REM project proccedes too quickly, even quicker then I thought.

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

CDPQ reaches Montreal track agreement with CN
Thursday, August 25, 2016

CANADIAN pension fund Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec (CDPQ) Infra has reached an agreement with Canadian National Railway (CN) to purchase infrastructure for its planned 67km Metropolitan Electric Network (REM) automated metro project in Montreal

CDPQ Infra will acquire the viaduct leading to Montreal Central to allow REM trains to access the station directly without affecting the three other operators which use the station: Metropolitan Transit Agency (AMT), Via Rail and Amtrak. The agreement allows REM to use Central station and to run beneath CN tracks in Pointe-Saint-Charles. CDPQ Infra will also purchase other land, buildings and structures from CN for the project

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

mrsmartman, Tågälskaren liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:30 AM   #874
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Public hearings begin for Montreal’s new light rail transit system

Hundreds of Montrealers attended the first environmental hearings for the proposed light rail system on Monday evening[...]

Old September 27th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #875
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Coalition wants parliamentary commission on Montreal's light-rail project

As the second phase of public meetings on the proposed light-rail system in the Montreal area begins, a coalition of environmental groups, citizens and a union opposing the project and is calling for a parliamentary commission to study the whole[...]

Source: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_..._620/image.jpg

Old September 30th, 2016, 07:06 AM   #876
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

s the light rail project the same as the automated metro project?

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #877
jay stew

Likes (Received): 293

Le Métro de Montréal turns 50 years old this month. It actually turned 50 on the 14th, I just forgot to post about it.

hseugut liked this post
jay stew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #878
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

A new commuter-rail station on the AMT Candiac Line, Gare du Canal, is supposed to be ready by end of November, according to a newspaper article from October 3.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...s-of-tram-line

This is only meant to be a temporary station due to highway construction, but it may become permanent.

Construction photos were posted to AMT flickr account on September 1:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/agence...57673186115396

https://www.amt.qc.ca/fr/actualites/.../gare-du-canal

Old October 27th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #879
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Montréal BRT

First BRT station on the future SRB Pie-IX (service rapide par bus) opened earlier this month.

As you can see from the map, the line will connect to the Metro Green Line, the Mascouche commuter-rail line and a possible eastern extension of the Metro Blue Line. The first station to open is at rue d'Amos in northern Montréal.

https://www.amt.qc.ca/en/news/projec...-rapid-transit

Inauguration Station AMOS - SRB Pie-IX by AMT - Agence métropolitaine de transport, on Flickr

Inauguration Station AMOS - SRB Pie-IX by AMT - Agence métropolitaine de transport, on Flickr

Old October 28th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #880
Montrealer
City dweller

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
s the light rail project the same as the automated metro project?
Yes, it is an automated metro project, similar to Vancouver's Skytrain.

See the project's website.

Montrealer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, metro, montreal, quebec