daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #81
Haber

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram
I calculated some results from stats published in a linked-to report I came across somewhere on this board, and it seems this city has one of the easiest times getting a bang out of its $ when I compare the lengths of its metro and rail networks against their corresponding riderships -- on average ranks fourth on the continent.

Me, I find the level of service here really sparse. So I came up with this plan which doesn't strike me as being exceptionally ambitious; I drummed it up coming from a cheap-$ angle. We need it, coz too many passengers end up standing when taking bus routes that ply expressways here.

The only things I'd change are my 10-minute frequencies to read 'at most every 12 minutes', and demoting the frequency of service at the bottom station in Lasalle. Non-rush-hour frequencies indicated.

The differences signified by my map compared to the region's current plan represent boring:
- the pink train line under the city centre, about 5km long
- the metro line extensions, approximately 20kms' worth
- the lower olive train line chord (branching off), about 3km long

The differences also represent erecting some form of surface running:
- the pink train line segments right of the city centre
- the upper olive train line chord (branching off), a few hundred metres long
- a long chord connecting the airport and outer suburb west of it, several kilomtres long (not captured/shown)

Other differences represent:
- somehow establishing the right-hand arm to the LRT plus its underbelly between its two bottommost junctions
- inserting no less than eight stations on established surface and underground train lines
- electrifying remainder of train lines as well as left-hand arm of LRT
- erecting stations along left-hand arm of LRT
- some services limited to inner suburbs

The map itself represents the city's and inner suburbs' intra-urban rail network, where mainland terrain's limited to both bottommost shores.

Cheers,
Chris
That is an awesome plan!
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #82
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haber
That is an awesome plan!
Thank you -- I kept tweaking it, I think it's ready now.

Here are a couple of other plans:
1st) showing how all the services come together, and
2nd) showing what rights of way or tracking need to be established / re-established

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by elkram; April 26th, 2006 at 04:25 AM.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #83
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

And how exactly are you guys going to get the money to fund this
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #84
PhilippeMtl

Likes (Received): 52

Bombardier will replace the old 350 metro wagon in 2009.... Good news for Montreal metro..
PhilippeMtl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #85
Gjm130

Montreal Metro Renovations

Does anyone here have pictures of the renovated metro cars in Montreal?
Gjm130 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #86
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

Likes (Received): 44

very nice
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #87
elkram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
I can't believe that the ATM goes all the way to Rigaud (2 times a day)! It's almost the Ontario border!
No, it's only five times per week.

The people running the city's metro here nowadays must amount to a bunch of yo-yos. A major director working there recently had her letter published in the city's lone English-language daily. She was criticizing their reporter's references he authored in an article on the refitting of the city's younger fleet. (I happened to have read the article about two weeks beforehand, and remember thinking it was a pleasant one, never suspecting it to be one that would come close to soliciting grumblings from somebody who actually runs the show underground there.) Somewhere in her letter she whined about the Orange line being at capacity for passenger loads, as though trying to make the whole thing into some big dinosaur. Uhm, there's plenty of literature out there claiming the metro network was designed for 90-second headways between trains, so all that's missing are the trains. Three- to four-minute headways at rush hours is a joke, plus the ten-minute one come evenings is a nuisance. Please, would somebody just fire her?

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by elkram; August 5th, 2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #88
elkram
BANNED

Go to the second page to have a look:

http://www.stm.info/English/info/a-MR73.pdf

Cheers,
Chris
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #89
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Nice!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #90
Gjm130

Beautiful! I like the colours and the hand bars to hang on. It's gorgeous! And MORE SPACE....FINALY!!
Gjm130 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #91
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18167

Alstom goes to court to derail Bombardier deal for Montreal subway cars
Wed Jan 24, 4:32 PM
By Ross Marowits

MONTREAL (CP) - French transportation company Alstom has gone to court yet again in an attempt to derail Bombardier Inc. from winning a $1.2-billion order for new subway cars for the City of Montreal.

The French multinational recently asked the Quebec Superior Court to issue a safeguard order, or injunction, to stop talks and preliminary work on the project between the Montreal-based transportation company and the city's transit authority.

"We've put in a request that would force the STM (Societe de transport de Montreal) to go back in the tender process like the law says," Alstom Canada president Pierre Gauthier told The Canadian Press.

"The law is quite clear. It says if there is any other railway equipment producer in Canada, then the STM must proceed by a bidding process."

Alstom decided to initiate the new legal procedure - which has been postponed until Feb. 12 - after learning that its request for a declaratory judgment filed last June won't be heard before next summer.

The company fears any preliminary work completed between the STM and Bombardier would establish specifications that would clearly favour the large Quebec transportation conglomerate.

Alstom CEO Patrick Kron was in Montreal on Wednesday to discuss the French giant's legal strategy with his Canadian subsidiary's executives.

He also met with customers in the energy sector such as Hydro-Quebec and later travelled to Calgary for talks with TransAlta, one of Canada's biggest power producers.

Alstom abandoned a legal challenge against Bombardier late last year after it received about one-third of the subcontracting work for Bombardier's US$3.5 billion contract with French National Railways to supply 372 trains.

Gauthier wouldn't say whether a similar deal would be acceptable in Montreal.

"Who knows what's going to happen in the future, but for the moment we believe that on that product, which is rubber tire subways, we are the number one in the world and we want to show it."

The Quebec government announced last May that Montreal's transit authority could begin negotiations with Bombardier to replace 336 subway cars between 2010 and 2012.

In September, Toronto city council approved a $710-million contract with Bombardier to build 234 subway cars for the Toronto Transit Commission.

These non-bid contracts are so lucrative, they allow Bombardier to undercut the competition in other projects around the world, Gauthier said.

"What we view is happening here in Canada gives our competitor an unfair advantage that they can then use to dump product and pricing in other areas where the markets are unprotected."

Bombardier spokeswoman Genevieve Dion said it's up to customers to decide the procurement process they want to follow.

"We haven't started working on the STM project yet and as there are legal procedures, we won't comment."

Montreal's transit authority has no plans to begin negotiations with Bombardier until next November, said spokeswoman Isabelle Tremblay.

Internal work is proceeding to develop the terms and conditions of an eventual order.

"Because (negotiations are) not scheduled before November, things are continuing normally," she said.

This type of lawsuit by Alstom is commonly pursued in the transportation industry, said a Toronto analyst.

"These things are just part of the background music in that industry," said Richard Stoneman of Dundee Securities.

"In most countries, there is a real insistence that companies that get infrastructure work of this type that's paid for by taxpayers has direct and ongoing benefits to local industry."

The French company employs 1,500 workers in Canada, including 700 in Quebec. A total of 250 of the Quebecers work in transportation, with the remaining focused on power generation.

A facility that employed nearly 2,000 to renovate old Montreal subway cars was closed a few years ago when there wasn't enough work to sustain such a large facility, Gauthier said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM   #92
elkram
BANNED

It's been a year since I posted my expansion of Montreal's network. In response to recently reading Montreal's three-year business plan for public transport improvements:

Montreal`s PTI 2007-2008-2009 Programme Triennal d'Immobilisations
http://www.amt.qc.ca/corpo/documents...T_2007_PTI.pdf

I drummed up this drawing that's scanned poorly (my 'pooter's on the fritz):

Old April 19th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #93
PCC
PCC

Hi!

I lived in Montréal for 10 years and I find the Métro verry noisy and it gives you a verry bumpy ride. In some cartypes there is no window in the end part of the cars, only some kind of iron bars, so all the noise from outside gets in the cars. The traction equipment makes quite allot of noise and also the tyres make noise, but ofcourse no squeeling in curves.

Suprizingly there is hardly any escalators and elevators in the system so it´s verry unfriendly for older people, handycaped people and people with babycarriges. I do find the Métro verry clean and if you like concrete structures / stations it sure is a nice place to take a subway ride!

Montréal does have a verry high class and modern rail transit line, and that is the interurban line from Gare Centrale to Deux-Montagnes. The cars are always clean and the ride is always exelent! The train is always in time, quiet ride, nice and cool -air conditioned summertime and fast ride.

Perhaps someone has some nice prictures of this superior rail transit system? Perhaps some pictures from the underground station Gare Centrale ant the carhouse at Deux-Montagnes?

If you are looking for an extremly quiet subwaycar I just have to recomend the Stockholm Transit C20 class cars! I have made many rides with rail transit in many cities in my life but, no subwaycar has been so extreemly quiet. It also gives a delightful smooth ride thanks to Bombardiers superior aircussioned boggies!

Regards / PCC
PCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #94
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

My favourite subway....cute subway cars, seriously massive monumental stations, great art, and cheap cheap cheap to ride on.

I just wish they ran more frequently. I suppose that will get better over time.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM   #95
elkram
BANNED

The three-station Laval extension opened past Saturday. The topmost editorial in today's edition
of the city's English-language daily claims it unfair that Laval's now served by metro, mentioning that
the West Island oughtta be equipped with the same level of service. I say it's not worth boring the
metro out to West-island municipalities, when there exists a broad enough right of way overland
to accommodate electrification plus frequent service. West Islanders needn't an underground metro,
an overland one would be fine.

Double crossover switches have finally been introduced, but out of the hundreds of photos posted on
the AMT'S website, none of them shows either one of the new type of tracking found each end of
Montmorency terminus.

Old May 18th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #96
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18167

Montrealers warned to expect long transit strike
CBC
Fri May 18, 6:47 AM

Montrealer commuters are being warned to expect a long strike by maintenance workers at the Montreal Transit Corporation as they are scheduled to walk off the job on Tuesday.

Transit chair Claude Trudel said Friday the workers' demands are "unrealistic and unjustifiable."

The corporation won a major victory Thursday when the province's Essential Services Council ordered the workers to provide more services than they did during their last strike in November 2003.

During that strike, there was no weekend service on the metro. This time, the council has ordered full weekend service during peak hours.

About 2,200 transit maintenance employees have been working without a contract since January. They voted earlier this month to strike May 22 if a new deal isn't reached.

Wage increases and the corporation's pension plan are the main sticking points in negotiations. Workers are asking for a two per cent raise every year over the next three years.

The corporation is offering two per cent a year over a three-year period, but not starting until 2008.

Union spokesman Denis Bonneau said recently the maintenance workers want wage increases on a par with those won by workers in Laval and Longueuil in their most recent collective agreements.

"We're doing the same job. We want the same thing," Bonneau said.

The City of Montreal has told the transit corporation it can't afford raises this year because of an island-wide wage freeze in the last municipal budget designed to curb a growing deficit.

If the parties don't reach an agreement by Monday night, maintenance workers said they will walk off the job at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #97
elkram
BANNED

Local news reports today that 132 police officers are being assigned to complement the Metro's current 60 security patrollers. This is great news, I've been bugging the transit corporation to assign more security staff to the fully underground network.

It's hoped that the police presence underground will curb gang violence. (Five teenage youths alarmed all us passengers heading down into the Guy-Concordia station from Guy-street entrance one Sunday evening mid-April. They were knocking into us, stepping on our shoes, kicking escalator panels, jumping up to thump the overhead lighting, spitting, etc. Their angst immediately reminded me of those poor yobbos trolling the London tubes that I'd come across regularly enough back in the 70s and 80s.)
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #98
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I remember seeing somewhere that there's a station in Montreal that has en enterance painted in gay pride colours -do any of you guys know it? I'm assuming it's in the rainbow colours as it's in a gay district?
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #99
elkram
BANNED

A picture of Beaudry Station in Le Village found on the following page of the STM's:

http://www.stm.info/English/metro/art/a-index.htm
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #100
micro

Likes (Received): 106

It looks like thin plastic tubes fitted on poles. Or maybe painted aluminum.

Close-up:

Last edited by micro; June 20th, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, metro, montreal, quebec