daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM   #101
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Hmmm, the first day of la STM's security scheme, Monday, June 18th, has turned out to be a flop.

A pair of security patrollers -- as opposed to police officers -- were sought out by platform-bound passengers somewhere in the Berri-UQAM junction coz a man was beating up his female companion. The patrollers' response to them was that they cannot exercize any right to intervene due to the new scheme. The passengers unsuccessfully tried summoning one of the ticket collectors on the mezzanine above to dial 911. The collector's refusal was because she was too busy (to be calling and yapping with some intake staff). La STM held a news conference late yesterday afternoon about Monday's mishap, and said that both STM parties ought to have assisted -- gee, thanks.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:07 PM   #102
Fabio
Go Habs! Go!

Likes (Received): 12

I really like Montreal metro system, even if some station need a quickly renovation.
One question, does anyone know of any expansion to be made on the next 5 years, something with chances to be made?
I mean like the expantion of the Blue Line to Anjou? Yellow line in Longueuil as well as the Bonsecours Station? are these or any other project likely to be done soon?

I know there area some tramways projects, but anyother thing on the Métro?

Thanks in advance.
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #103
elkram
BANNED

Both the City and transit-planning organization here wish to extend the Blue line by one stop toward the east, at Pie-IX Boulevard. The City, however, wishes to extend it a further four stops so that the terminus be at Galeries d'Anjou.

I gather the transit-planning organization -- l'Agence metropolitain de transport -- is pretty independent. For instance, greater-Montreal municipalities have a devil of a time dealing with it. So I don't know what to make of the metro being extened to Anjou.

An upcoming public-transit-friendly civic rep here would like to see the four stations beyond Pie-IX on the Blue line served by trams instead of metros.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM   #104
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

So what is the total length of the Montreal Metro with the 3 stations added in Laval. I would imagine that Montreal has surpassed Toronto in this regard since Toronto had only a few kilometres more subway than Montreal prior to this expansion. (68.3 km vs. 66.0 km) Does any one have the new figure?

Good going Montreal, and keep building it out. There is no reason the Metro couldn't be double it's current length.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM   #105
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

^Toronto's system is 70.1 Km at last check. According to Urban Railnet, Montreal's system is 69.2 Km long.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #106
elkram
BANNED

The English daily here pegged its length at 68Km after the Laval extension came on stream -- mind you, there are chords, one of which is double-tracked and stretches at least 2Km, plus all the garages are underground -- the papers here've seemed to have forgotten that the western arm of the Orange Line (Line 2) is tunnelled for no less than 3Km all the way up to rue de Salaberry (Ouest?), putting it at an equivalent distance of one metro station, north (the other side) of the Bois-Franc commuter station, which both the city and regional transit planning authority wish to interchange with the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Good going Montreal, and keep building it out. There is no reason the Metro couldn't be double it's current length.
I agree with your last sentence, hence I can't agree with your first one.

Umm, the English daily did a big extra on the tram and metro a few Saturdays ago. They focussed reporting on some "transit" planner's (not the civic rep I must've mentioned earlier here) scheme that would see what metro service we've scored ourselves the past 20 years on our Blue Line fully converted into a tramway.

How absurd.

There've also been newspaper articles whining on and on about the news' suspicion that rubber-tyred trains were a lousy choice of traction for metros here; they think these trains of ours should have been limited to steel wheels.

With all this chronic Expo-67 40th anniversary rubbish being 'experienced', you'd think they'd have remembered that the city's selection was more than careful, encompassing both practicalities and aesthetics.

Our squishy trains were the compromise between yankee-sized metro wagons and service yielded by trams; crucially-speaking, however, they failed to remember that the squishy size here was adopted so that doublings of the length of our network are to happen multiple times, not simply once only . . .

Last edited by elkram; July 4th, 2007 at 02:42 AM.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #107
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Are the Montreal trains capable of running on their steel wheels as a primary operating mode along conventional track (with power rail in the right place, of course)? Or are the steel wheels literally just a fallback safety feature that were never meant to be used as a primary operating mode?

Relevant example: if a city (like, say, Miami) had a large, existing rail network designed for steel wheels wanted to add little automated spur lines that just ran back and forth all day like peoplemovers perpendicular to the normal stations using rubber-tired Montreal-type trains (because they're quieter), but wanted to be able to run the Montreal-type trains along the main Metrorail track to the maintenance facility along the steel tracks, perhaps by designing the spur so that at some point before the track merged into the mainline, the concrete pad driven on by the tires ramped downward to lower the train onto its steel wheels for continued running.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #108
elkram
BANNED

Their (inner) steel wheels are built primarily for emergency running. It's weird coz the younger fleet's not equipped with suspension and yield shoddy rides period (the older one still gives such a slick ride at the age of 41, these wagons still impress me, while those from the newer fleet mostly shake out one's fillings). Our metros aren't quieter, although their noisiness never becomes overbearing moments of piercing squeels or clangs.

I remember that dual-mode overhead and third-rail fleet out of Moorgate in London in the late 70s -- in the darkened tunnel, I felt like I was a passenger stepping into Space 1999, what a sensationless experience that was!! -- that fleet was the first to be manufactured with rubber balloon membranes as the suspension of the fleet, absorbing the bumps and wobbles into its condensed air masses. The only other advantage of rubber-tyred running is that vibrations don't degrade the concrete tunnel walls and floor. Sorry, Montreal limits its metro operations to fully autonomous lines (its {puny!} five commuter lines, however, do spur like you suggest). I'm sure there'd be nothing hard about manufacturing the dual-mode traction you suggest, although the tracking accommodating both types, mind you, might be a different matter, e.g., preventing hoardes of makes of freight cars coming in from all directions from wrecking some parallel component used by rubber-tyred traction any time of day; the metros here are pretty narrow and don't broaden beyond its lateral guiding electric rails.

Last edited by elkram; August 5th, 2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: broken goggles (NOT equipped with suspension)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM   #109
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram View Post

I agree with your last sentence, hence I can't agree with your first one.
Good going because a city two-thirds the size of Toronto has built a subway system with 4 lines versus 3 for Toronto (of which 1 is a subway to nowhere).

Good going because a city two-thirds the size of Toronto has built a subway with as much track as Toronto.

That Montreal could still double its system shouldn't take away from what has been accomplished already. Not only is the Montreal Metro much better looking, and much cheaper to ride on, but Montreal continues to expand the Metro.

Toronto? Fast, efficient, but horrifically ugly and possibly shrinking if you can believe it. The Toronto Transit Commission has stated it's intent to shut down one of the lines due to budget constraints. Torontonians are so used to a such a small subway network that a good chunk of the population thinks another 2 east-west subway lines is over building. To give you an idea of how underbuilt the network is here, consider that the closest east-west line is about 4 km north of the waterfront at Bloor Street. Downtown Toronto exists south of Bloor, but there isn't an east-west subway line in the entire downtown, only along it's northern edge.

Appreciate what you have and keep up the steady pace of expansion and renewal.

Last edited by isaidso; August 13th, 2007 at 02:22 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #110
elkram
BANNED

You're right, overall Toronto's so plump with folks it deserves more rails than us. We downstream here are similarly as slow as Toronto at gelling transit when we compare ourselves to places beyond our coasts. The only aspect that's about to be upgraded is the Montreal region and its broad fringe all being linked into a new fare payment scheme involving silly non-touch electronic fare collectors zone through zone -- self-serving practice at its zenith, were you to ask me . . . to be so restricted as to improve upon the revenue scheme . . . sounds too private transit to me.
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #111
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Whoa, did this fire take place in Montreal's brand new, secretly-located Centre de contrôle?!? Too much (I myself got to work on time today) . . .

Métro service resumes

Rene Bruemmer, The Gazette
Published: 2 hours ago

Thousands of commuters were stranded in Montreal's metro system for half an hour this morning after a minor fire at the control centre forced officials to shut down all four lines.

Workers performing regularly scheduled maintenance at the system's control centre, where approximately 20 Montreal Transit Corporation employees oversee the running of the system, accidentally cut through a high-voltage cable, causing sparks, smoke and the evacuation of the control centre, said MTC spokesperson Odile Paradis.

Firefighters were called in to quell the blaze, and the metro, which was shut at 9:38, was restarted half an hour later. Paradis said traffic was relatively light because the problem started after rush hour, but still affected "thousands."

For security reasons, the MTC does not divulge the control centre's location.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #112
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18167

Montreal's bus and subway drivers vote in support of strike mandate
13 November 2007
The Canadian Press

MONTREAL _ Montreal's bus and subway drivers have voted to give their union a strike mandate, raising the possibility of the city's second transit strike in less than a year.

Union members voted 97 per cent in favour of the strike mandate on Tuesday night.

The union says it hopes the mandate will be enough to breathe new life into stalled negotiations between the two sides.

The public transit operators have been without a contract since January and are fiercely opposed to a proposed wage freeze for 2007.

Around 2,200 public transit maintenance workers walked off the job last May, leaving Montreal with no bus or subway service for four days.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #113
trainrover

Service frequency's going to upped by about 1/4 come 7 January 2008. Some senior STM staffer told me that the increase shan't be achieved by increasing the speed limit from 72 to 80KPH (phew!).

Laval's mayor announced last week his wish that Laval's new extension be extended farther such that the Orange Line be routed back to Montreal via Cartierville and be effectively transformed into a circle line.

I reckon this circle-line thing ought to be additionally done such that the Blue morphs into becoming the Green Line.
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #114
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2879

I am not too sure about the circle. You might service more area if you make the whole line go into Laval instead of spending it on making a circle. Cote Vertu should come into Laval for sure.
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #115
trainrover

Has anybody else noticed the mild increase in service frequency? I'm surprised at how perceptible the slight increase has consistently been by this second week into the increase now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
I am not too sure about the circle. You might service more area if you make the whole line go into Laval instead of spending it on making a circle. Cote Vertu should come into Laval for sure.
There`s really not much to go to in Laval, no?

I was suggesting turning the Blue Line into the Green Line, thereby proposing there be a second circle line here.
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #116
trainrover

This morning's news on the radio mentioned some wish/plan that ten stations be added in the northern and eastern districts of town here. I didn't hear what group/org is recommending these extensions.

Some nationwide advocate was reported in some local newspaper today, advising that 40.1 $billion must be invested into this country's public transport systems . . . ASAP.
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #117
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
This morning's news on the radio mentioned some wish/plan that ten stations be added in the northern and eastern districts of town here. I didn't hear what group/org is recommending these extensions.

Some nationwide advocate was reported in some local newspaper today, advising that 40.1 $billion must be invested into this country's public transport systems . . . ASAP.
I saw it on the news the other night but I was talking to my girlfriend on the phone at the time. I'm fairly sure it was the provincial government making the announcement. I can't find anything online!!
Habfanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #118
Habfanman
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Has anybody else noticed the mild increase in service frequency? I'm surprised at how perceptible the slight increase has consistently been by this second week into the increase now.

There`s really not much to go to in Laval, no?

I was suggesting turning the Blue Line into the Green Line, thereby proposing there be a second circle line here.
I have noticed the increase and I like it!

I would like to see Montmorency hook up with Côte-Vertu. They are planning to expand north anyhow so it wouldn't take much to eventually connect the two. This would take a lot of pressure off of the east side of the orange line.

I'd also like to see the blue line extended east (planned) and a good bus/light rail connection between the blue and green out there.

What about someday looping Snowdon to connect with a slightly extended Angrignon? (it's OK to dream isn't it?)
Habfanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #119
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Is there any news on light rail projects for Montreal?

My understanding is that because the metro runs on rubber tires, it has to be all underground to safeguard it from the freeing temperatures. Is there any truth to this? If so, tunneling being so much more expensive, it would make sense to expand the system using conventional heavy rail or light rail.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #120
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

QQ: I know one of the constraints with Montreal's subway is rubber tires and it cannot run outside. But with winter tires, concrete heating, and salting equipment on the trains could they not build an above ground expansion? I mean, buses can run outside in winter with not too much trouble, and many systems don't have winter tires either.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, metro, montreal, quebec