daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18212

Gaudi - Spain's Art Nouveau Genius

Introduction

The son of a coppersmith, Antoni Gaudi was born in Reus, Spain in 1852. He studied at the Escola Superior d'Arquitectura in Barcelona and designed his first major commission for the Casa Vincens in Barcelona using a Gothic Revival style that set a precedent for his future work.

Over the course of his career, Gaudi developed a sensuous, curving, almost surreal design style which established him as the innovative leader of the Spanish Art Nouveau movement. With little regard for formal order, he juxtaposed unrelated systems and altered established visual order. Gaudi's characteristically warped form of Gothic architecture drew admiration from other avant-garde artists.

Although categorized with the Art Nouveau, Gaudi created an entirely original style. He died in Barcelona in 1926.

This thread showcases his works. Feel free to discuss and share your photos.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Last edited by hkskyline; June 5th, 2005 at 10:09 PM.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #2
hkskyline
Hong Kong

La Pedrera
Between the late 19th and early 20th century, the district of the Eixample became the main hub of Barcelona's expansion, thus supplanting the bourgeois residential area of Ciutat Vella.

The industrialist Pere Mila and his wife commissioned Gaudi to construct a building on the boundary separating Barcelona from Gracia, with the aim of turning the main floor into the family residence and leasing out the rest of the dwellings.

Gaudi built 2 blocks of apartment houses with independent entrances around two large, interconnecting interior patios in order to illuminate all the dwellings. The structure rested on pillars instead of using weight-bearing walls, which allowed for independent floors with large apertures in the facade. Owing the way its facade appears to be carved out of rock, the Casa Mila was nicknamed "La Pedrera", which means stone quarry.

It became a World Heritage Site in 1984.

The Roof

The View

Inside

From the bottom :

Facade

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 5th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #3
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Casa Batlló
Casa Batlló, Gaudi's masterpiece, is a legend of art. The Modernist facade, which reflects the waves of a calm sea, hides of a whole world of surprises and architectural details. I find it to be the most unusual building I've ever seen. It looks so unconventional both inside and outside. It looks very modern, yet it is about a century old!

The original property was built between 1875 and 1877. In 1900 it was owned by Josep Batlló Casanovas, who commissioned Gaudi to demolish the existing building and build a new one. In 1904, the owner changed his mind and decide to refurbish it instead.

In this inner space, the lower floors have light blue tiling while the blue darkens in the upper floors.

The attics and chimneys are the most unusual features of the building. For the first time, they have opened the doors to the public.

Old June 5th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

WOW!

Gaudí was a genius!!

Post his masterpiece:
La Sagrada Familia temple.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #5
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

^I was about to ask for that too!!
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Hush
Sempre BCN

Likes (Received): 0

Hkskyline, U'r fotos are great, but let me tell you that his name was Antoni Gaudí, and he didn't feel spanish, just catalan like some inhabitants of Catalonia. That's the other unknown side of this great genius.

Hush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #7
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

willo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 01:55 AM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ I just changed the first post, but the thread title hasn't changed though. Can a mod help?

Old June 6th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #9
DaDvD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush
Hkskyline, U'r fotos are great, but let me tell you that his name was Antoni Gaudí, and he didn't feel spanish, just catalan like some inhabitants of Catalonia. That's the other unknown side of this great genius.
Has this anything to do with the thread topic???? Any kind of source?
Just talk about Gaudi's talent and not about your personal complexes
Most people know Gaudi as Antonio so I think it's ok
Anyway, does anybody have photos from his project of a 300-metre building for New York?
DaDvD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #10
rufi
Against Spam

Quote:

Do you really need to take your independentism everywhere? this is an architecture thread. Don't mix politics with architecture.
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:55 AM   #11
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

Just Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for showing so many details of gaudi works!!! Bring us more!!!! Please!!
JoseRodolfo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #12
rufi
Against Spam

I love Gaudi- shame he died so young
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #13
Meditt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

well, despite what other forumers say, Hush is actually right.. Gaudí's main obsessions were (in order): Architecture, Religion and a very active and fierce Catalanism.. and trying to deny it (even trying to separate his works from his personal convictions) just goes to show how some people don't know shit about this man's life/work... (like that last message about him dying "so young"... huh?!.. dude, Gaudí died when he was 74 years old.. at the beggining of the 20th century not too many people lived that long)..

and yup, his name was Antoni (not Antonio)... names (except those of Kings and Queens) can't be translated.. and Modernisme was a very specifically Catalan version (not Spanish) of the Art Nouveau from central Europe (not only in the architectural field but in the whole arts world, including literature, painting, music, etc.. and yes kids, also a POLITICAL movement), so your title ("Spain"'s Art Nouveu) is also incorrect..

Trying to get to the point (some of these people are really tiresome) of your threads: hkskyline, your pictures, as I told you before, are fabulous. Hope to see more of them in the near future. Did you go to the Olympic Ring or the Forum Area? some modern and contemporary architecture?
Meditt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #14
Hush
Sempre BCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufi
Do you really need to take your independentism everywhere? this is an architecture thread. Don't mix politics with architecture.
Yes, I need it, any problem?. His name was Antoni, not Antonio or Anthony.

I'm not mixing politic with architecture, I'm just saying some trues. We can't understand his buildings without his politcal feelings.

Gaudi's building are based on 3 concepts: Nature, Religion and Catalanism.
Hush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #15
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1558

A shame that a architecture thread became a political discussion thread
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #16
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

The British band 'The Alan Parsons Project" headed by Alan Parsons who was the sound enginer for The Beatles's Let It Be album or Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon, had one album called "Gaudi", inspired by Gaudi's work and philosophy.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #17
Meditt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
The British band 'The Alan Parsons Project" headed by Alan Parsons who was the sound enginer for The Beatles's Let It Be album or Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon, had one album called "Gaudi", inspired by Gaudi's work and philosophy.
exactly.. and one of the songs was called "La Sagrada Familia"... pretty sad that that album (and most of what AP did in his solo career) was so dull and tedious... he should have remained as a sound engineer, what he did with Floyd's Dark Side put him up in the altars already...

Meditt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #18
aCidMinD81
Tres huevos

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
I'm not mixing politic with architecture, I'm just saying some trues. We can't understand his buildings without his politcal feelings.

So, analizing a curved facade in each of his proyects we understand that Gaudí was ******* off Spain...
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #19
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

I thing those can´t relate architecture with politics are actually quite dumb =P

- Mussolini created an Fascist architecture

- The USSR created Stanilist architecture

- Hitler were adept of Classic architecture has a remind to greek civilization (arian)

- Haussmann´s Urban restructuring in Paris were just posible due to the power of Napoleon III

- New York has it´s giant Skyscrapers from the begging of XXth century, to show the power of the graetest emerging economic power on earth.

I could write many other examples here...
JoseRodolfo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #20
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Parc Güell