daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM   #301
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Mixed-use developments lure shoppers
December 21, 2007
BY BILL CUNNIFF Sun-Times staff writer
Mixed-use developments are creating new shopping districts in several suburbs.

Santa Claus was on hand for a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony at Burr Ridge Village Center. Officials for the village and the developer said the festivities at the 20-acre mixed-use development will become an annual event to usher in the holidays for all village residents. The site is Burr Ridge's first true downtown in the village's 50-year history.
http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/ho...gest21.article
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #302
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=27573

1920s Joliet theater undergoing makeover

Inside Rialto Square Theatre, which opened in 1926 and underwent a restoration in the 1980s, shining columns rise into a celestial dome full of intricate sculptures. A Duchess chandelier dominates the rotunda. Cream-colored marble walls line the lobby and cherubim flutter into the auditorium.

The Will County Metropolitan Exposition and Auditorium Authority, which operates the theater, began the restoration 18 months ago with the help of a $5-million fundraising campaign that is a little more than halfway to its goal, said Tina Postel, director of development.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #303
Ch.G, Ch.G

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=27573

1920s Joliet theater undergoing makeover

Inside Rialto Square Theatre, which opened in 1926 and underwent a restoration in the 1980s, shining columns rise into a celestial dome full of intricate sculptures. A Duchess chandelier dominates the rotunda. Cream-colored marble walls line the lobby and cherubim flutter into the auditorium.

The Will County Metropolitan Exposition and Auditorium Authority, which operates the theater, began the restoration 18 months ago with the help of a $5-million fundraising campaign that is a little more than halfway to its goal, said Tina Postel, director of development.
Stories like this make me happy.
Ch.G, Ch.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #304
The Urban Politician
The City

Crystal Lake panel favors downtown homes plan
Planning commission push for fewer units for City Square project
Tribune staff report
6:34 PM CST, January 3, 2008
A proposal to build more than 50 row houses next to City Hall in downtown Crystal Lake has won preliminary approval from the city's Planning and Zoning Commission.

The three-story townhouses would be priced around $375,000 a unit and would be pitched to "transit-oriented" residents who work in Chicago and want to live within walking distance of Crystal Lake's restaurants and shops, said developer John Green of Chicago-based Centrum Properties Inc. The site is about two blocks from a commuter train station.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2026271.story
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #305
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

cool, TOD 53 miles from the loop. Who says sprawl is always bad?

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #306
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Crystal Lake panel favors downtown homes plan
Planning commission push for fewer units for City Square project
Tribune staff report
6:34 PM CST, January 3, 2008
A proposal to build more than 50 row houses next to City Hall in downtown Crystal Lake has won preliminary approval from the city's Planning and Zoning Commission.

The three-story townhouses would be priced around $375,000 a unit and would be pitched to "transit-oriented" residents who work in Chicago and want to live within walking distance of Crystal Lake's restaurants and shops, said developer John Green of Chicago-based Centrum Properties Inc. The site is about two blocks from a commuter train station.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2026271.story
Why not just move to the City?? Man I hate suburbanites, even as a former one!
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #307
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

You hate suburbanites for trying to do TOD?

That's a little overzealous....
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #308
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=27721

Muvico, Hyatt cued up for Northbrook development
By Eddie Baeb

The developer of a proposed $150-million mixed-use development in Northbrook says he’s close to finalizing deals for a 155-room Hyatt Place hotel and a 12-screen Muvico movie theater that will allow construction to begin in March.

----------------
This is that Center of the Northshore project I posted a long time ago. The article also mentions that the project has 74 condos, 39k sf of office space, and has other tenants like Panera, Pompei, Spirit Café, and E-Trade.
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #309
Ch.G, Ch.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=27721

Muvico, Hyatt cued up for Northbrook development
By Eddie Baeb

The developer of a proposed $150-million mixed-use development in Northbrook says he’s close to finalizing deals for a 155-room Hyatt Place hotel and a 12-screen Muvico movie theater that will allow construction to begin in March.

----------------
This is that Center of the Northshore project I posted a long time ago. The article also mentions that the project has 74 condos, 39k sf of office space, and has other tenants like Panera, Pompei, Spirit Café, and E-Trade.
Is there such a thing as over-saturation of movie theaters? The only thing I like about this part of Northbrook is the Ron of Japan where until I was 18 I always ordered kids shrimp which was so much less expensive than the adult version.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #310
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Is there such a thing as over-saturation of movie theaters? The only thing I like about this part of Northbrook is the Ron of Japan where until I was 18 I always ordered kids shrimp which was so much less expensive than the adult version.
There aren't any movie theaters close by, except the AMC 14 at Northbrook Court.

This site is actually close to the site of the Edens Theater, which was a modernist landmark until it was pulled down in the early '90s. I hope Muvico decides to go with a similar modern/sci-fi theme in homage to the old theater,
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #311
Ch.G, Ch.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There aren't any movie theaters close by, except the AMC 14 at Northbrook Court.

This site is actually close to the site of the Edens Theater, which was a modernist landmark until it was pulled down in the early '90s. I hope Muvico decides to go with a similar modern/sci-fi theme in homage to the old theater,
Not only is NBC a mere five minutes away, the cinemas at Old Orchard are about ten minutes south and those at Lincolnshire fifteen minutes east. Then there are the the smaller theaters in the North Shore proper.

I used to go to the Edens Theater when I was younger. I think I saw Jurassic Park there.
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #312
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I'm all for sustainable communities, and the first part of making suburbs more sustainable involves reducing the tremendous distances people have to cover, to do what they need or want to do.

Anyone in Northbrook who chooses to drive to Old Orchard or Lincolnshire to see a movie is wasting a gallon of gas, adding $3.16 to the price of their ticket.

There used to be a theater in Dearbrook Court (I saw Lion King there), but I think it closed.
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #313
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Anyone in Northbrook who chooses to drive to Old Orchard or Lincolnshire to see a movie is wasting a gallon of gas, adding $3.16 to the price of their ticket.
All movie theaters show exactly the same movies?
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #314
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Whatever the merits of the new development its mostly for not , its right by the Edens and is a car oriented development while downtown Northbrook is still lame and underachieves and lets the potential of its downtown go to waste.
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #315
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Just an update on the Shodeen development in downtown Aurora... The developer (Shodeen) received most of the lots they wanted from the City of Aurora for free, and then turned around and pleaded hardship by saying they couldn't afford the environmental cleanup that those lots required for any development to take place.

The spokesman who was tasked with making presentations to the Aurora City Council doesn't know his stuff, so he has repeatedly claimed the site needs no cleanup, despite Illinois EPA studies that show that it does. This has fostered a climate of mistrust between the City and the developer, but the City still desperately wants the development.

All this happened in early December. The weak economy may very well have done in the developer, who relies mostly on cornfield subdivisions.

Old January 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #316
The Urban Politician
The City

New Lenox trustees OK commuter-focused housing

January 29, 2008
By Susan Demar Lafferty, Staff writer
New Lenox trustees on Monday approved preliminary plans for a 230-acre transit-oriented development but expressed concern about a lack of service on Metra's relatively new SouthWest Service commuter line.

This type of development is a first for the village and offers 950 residences and more than 60 commercial acres on the northeast and southeast corners of Cedar and Laraway roads. It offers parking and access to the train station from both sides of the tracks.

The project will include mixed-use buildings of five to seven stories, 61 single-family homes and 888 townhouses and condominiums and 12 acres of park space.
http://www.southtownstar.com/news/76...wlenox.article
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #317
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Kendall is fastest-growing county in nation

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5507640.story

Kendall is fastest-growing county in nation, U.S. census finds
Some locals proud despite the area's growing pains
By Russell Working and Darnell Little | Tribune reporters
12:11 AM CDT, March 20, 2008

When you live in a rural area in the shadow of behemoth Cook County, bragging rights can be hard to come by.

Kendall County may be the birthplace of the harvester and home of a retired speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, but it seldom tops the nation on any outsider's list.

On Thursday, however, Kendall County, which has experienced exploding population growth for most of this decade, was named the fastest-growing county in America, new U.S. census estimates show.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:33 AM   #318
Chicago2020

Likes (Received): 0

Its hard to believe that Kendall is growing faster than Maricopa County in Arizona
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the Big Shoulders
Chicago2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM   #319
spyguy
Expert

611 Green Bay Road
Wilmette
~40 units
LEED

The architecture is not very exciting, but it does nicely fill in a vacant spot near a Metra station.
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #320
The Urban Politician
The City

Last updated: March 27, 2008 08:39am
RSC Under Way on $40M Transit-Oriented Project
By Gina Kenny Email this story | Printer-friendly | Reprints

OAK FOREST, IL-RSC & Associates, based in Chicago, will develop a $40-million transit-oriented development with 78 residential units and 37,750 sf of retail. The retail phase will deliver in the fall, shortly before work begins on the residential component.
http://www.globest.com/news/1123_112.../169402-1.html