daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:16 AM   #161
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I don't get it.. the opposition presents no clear support for their case, except the ad-hom of "bars and restaurants are bad, and should be stopped". Rather than trying to compromise by changing the design or relocating the garage, they are simply rejecting it.

I can think of some possible problems with this garage; if it is too high, too massive, etc. then it ruins the character of the area. Even in the Loop, we hate parking garages. But out in the suburbs, parking places drive businesses. To halt construction of more parking is to retard the economic growth of your downtown and your municipality as a whole. If it was cheaper, I would recommend that Naperville switch to a completely underground garage. But in lieu of that, I would say that they should simply convert one of their existing surface lots to a garage instead. Less community opposition, and you lose an unsightly surface lot.

It's this retarded suburban mentality of "let's reject everything that's not quaint" that absolutely kills me. I get it in my town too. Compromises can always be made that benefit everybody.

Last edited by ardecila; November 23rd, 2006 at 05:23 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #162
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Likes (Received): 9

By Andrew Schroedter
Special to the Tribune

November 24, 2006

A developer envisions his proposed $150 million retail, entertainment and housing development as the Northbrook version of Chicago's Millennium Park.

The development, known as the Center of the Northshore, would draw shoppers and tourists from all over the area, infusing Northbrook with jobs and sales- and property-tax dollars, said Edward Renko, chief executive officer of EAG Development Inc.

The center also would feature a plaza with an outdoor promenade and water fountain on a 14-acre parcel near the Edens Expressway at Skokie Boulevard and Dundee Road.

Final approval from the Northbrook Village Board is pending. If built, the project would rank behind only the Northbrook Court shopping mall as the largest development in the village's history.

Not everyone agrees that's a good thing.

Some residents oppose the project because it would add 200,000 square feet of retail and a 190-room hotel in a village where they say the supply already outstrips the demand.

"What do we need another hotel for?" said Irwin Rosenberg, 75. "It's too big for what they want to put in there. That would be a disaster for this area."

Development plans also include 22,000 square feet of office space, 74 condominiums, indoor parking, restaurants, a music venue, a 55,000-square-foot health club and an outdoor skating rink.

"For the North Shore, there's nothing like it," Renko said. "It would draw people from all over. It's sort of the best of Main Street U.S.A."

Main Street--or in this case Dundee Road--is already congested, residents say, and that would only worsen with added housing and retail.

"This will impact not only the residents, but anyone who travels Dundee Road," said Adele Sturgis, 55.

Northbrook officials, though, believe there could be a definite upside to those annoying traffic jams. If the center opens as planned in 2008, it could add $4 million in annual sales- and property-tax revenue to the village, parks, library and schools, Renko estimates.

"It's going to bring a lot of tax money to the village," said Village President Eugene Marks. "It's a piece of property that hasn't been developed. It's going to add character to the neighborhood."

The Village Board approved preliminary plans for the site last year. Final approval could come in January, and Renko said he is ready to break ground.

At one time, there was a gas station on the property, and state records show that the station's underground fuel storage tanks were leaky and contaminated the soil.

The tanks have since been removed, but some contamination remains, so there is a groundwater-use restriction and the builder would not be allowed to drill a well on the property, said Maggie Carson, spokeswoman for the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.

Renko was aware of the contamination, a common occurrence when building on a former gas station site, and said it would not affect the project.

Sales are under way for the condominiums, and Renko said he is waiting for permission from the village to clear-cut the property's remaining trees.

If it were up to Susan Jacobs, Renko's wait would never end.

She opposes the project because she said it would hurt the quality of life for the village's more than 34,000 residents.

"Do you want to make this a good place for developers to make money or do you want to make this a good place to live?" asked Jacobs, 52. "People move here because of the green space and because every inch hasn't been paved over."

Renko said opposition to the center is not the majority opinion in Northbrook, where he also lives.

"It's the second largest development in the village," he said. "Inevitably, somebody's not going to like it. From our perspective, we believe a majority of residents support the project."
Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune
Montreal is unique!!
wheelingman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #163
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.suntimes.com/classifieds/...open24.article

Des Plaines

Sales are under way at Everleigh, a 9-story condominium development in downtown Des Plaines. The building will have 144 units.

Preconstruction base prices range from the low-$200,000s to the upper-$400,000s. Units have 1 to 3 bedrooms and 1 to 2½ baths. Sizes range from 850 to 2,529 square feet.

"Everleigh in downtown Des Plaines is part of the renaissance now under way near the center of this lively northwest suburb," said Michael Glazier of Sertus Capital Partners LLC, the developer. The development is across the street from Metropolitan Square, a retail enclave with a new gourmet European grocery as well as Shop n' Save Marketplace, Flex Fitness health club, Panera Bread, Potbelly Sandwich Works, Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise and a wine shop.

--------
http://www.everleighcondos.com/
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #164
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Nice catch Spy Guy! A couple more like that and Des Plaines will have a nice urbanized DT.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #165
Chicago Shawn

Likes (Received): 0

Old Orchard Woods, Skokie...

These are from October 20, I finally got a chance to get them up on the web. Enjoy...

View from the north

Northwest corner of the Maple Tower - 2006-10-20

Oak Tower

Looking east along the north half of the driveway. The Maple Tower is on the left, and the nearly completed Elm Tower is on the right - 2006-10-20

Looking north across the fountain pool

Looking south under the front canopy structure towards the sales office - 2006-10-20

Small courtyard in front of the Oak Tower - 2006-10-20

Linkage between the Elm Tower and the Maple Tower, viewed from the driveway - 2006-10-20

Northside of the Oak Tower - 2006-10-20

Southwest corner of the Maple Tower - 2006-10-20

Looking west across the fountain towards the forest preserve - 2006-10-20

Entrance of the Elm Tower - 2006-10-20

Looking north through the ground floor of the Maple Tower

South side of the Maple Tower

View from the southwest

The Oak and Elm Towers from the southwest - 2006-10-20

Rising above the treeline of the adjacent forest preserve, viewed from the southwest

ooking southeast towards the Oak tower from the forest preserve - 2006-10-20

Looking east towards the Oak and Elm Towers from the adjacent forest preserve - 2006-10-20

Looking southeast towards the Maple and Oak Towers from the adjacent forest preserve - 2006-10-20
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #166
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

^ Damn, that is one big building. I actually like it.
Montreal is unique!!
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #167
High Life on LSD
BANNED

That was built so quickly! It is something nice to look at if you are one of the unlucky people who drive on 94.
High Life on LSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #168
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
^ Damn, that is one big building. I actually like it.
actually three buildings, wheelingman, interestingly and rather uniquely, interlinked.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #169
edsg25
BANNED

Shawn,

did you see any model condos and, if you did, were they up there with a view? for the longest time, optima didn't have any condo/sales office on site but operated out of their office in downtown Evanston.

I actually would like to get over and see the models if you can also see a view. I'm wondering how the views compare with the downtown Evanston high rises. Actually I don't think we've seen any of those condos' views here on line either.

I think there is something special about the all encompassing view from close in suburbs of the city's skyline since they can show the entire downtown area due to the lack of obstruction of view that happens when you are much closer in.
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #170
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
actually three buildings, wheelingman, interestingly and rather uniquely, interlinked.
Cool, I didn't realize that.
Montreal is unique!!
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #171
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

- edit
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #172
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Several Fortune 500 companies ? Motorola Inc., Allstate Corp., Baxter International Inc. ? have headquarters nearby, and corporate jets fly into the Chicago Executive Airport (formerly the Palwaukee Municipal Airport).

In addition, Ms. Powers said, Wheeling has seen the construction of $500,000 to $700,000 condominiums in the last five years that are within walking distance of many of the city?s restaurants.

The four restaurants in the Westin North Shore are part of Cenitare Restaurants LLC, a Buffalo Grove-based restaurant management and development company. Created in 2005, Cenitare Restaurants is a venture between the Harp Group and Mid-America Development Partners.
^ Nothing says boring like a bunch of wealthy suburbanites driving to work in the suburbs and eating fancy food in suburban hotels. What a shame
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM   #173
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

^Talk about boring...and predictable, another hit on the 'burbs.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:45 AM   #174
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Nothing says boring like a bunch of wealthy suburbanites driving to work in the suburbs and eating fancy food in suburban hotels. What a shame
why they even allow these suburbanites live is beyond me. it sure would be nice if these folks could be like all them mighty fancy, big city sophisticates in Chicago. I guess we can't all have a 312 area code. or even 773.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:29 PM   #175
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
why they even allow these suburbanites live is beyond me. it sure would be nice if these folks could be like all them mighty fancy, big city sophisticates in Chicago. I guess we can't all have a 312 area code. or even 773.
^ Don't you have some lawnmowing to do, Ed?

Wait, it's too late in the year for that
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #176
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

My God - I've never seen a riding lawnmower that looked THAT fruity before. Ewww. If you're gonna buy one, do us a favor and buy a regular-looking John Deere (IL company), not some fairy import.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #177
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

from Wheeling's home page...

Wheeling's beginnings came as an overnight stop for travelers from Chicago who were headed to the Wisconsin Territory via the overland trail now known as Milwaukee Avenue (Illinois Route 21). The string of inns, taverns and eateries established in the 1830's was the start of what is now Wheeling's renowned Restaurant Row.

Wheeling is actually more "chicago" than much of lincoln park...(today, that is)

read up on your Cook County history UP

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #178
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Don't you have some lawnmowing to do, Ed?

Wait, it's too late in the year for that
hardly in a condo in an area of lots of condos. you need to come out and visit sometime, UP....this isn't the suburbia of the 1940's. Then again, mini-malled Chicago aint' exactly the city of the 1940's (a little more Disney like today, woiuldn't you say).

However, we still love the city and respect it; even if the pompus in the city don't feel the same about us. I guess we're just a little more tollerant...for what it's worth, you know, respecting the way that people live differently than us. Call that the anti-Bush attitude...you know...open, accepting. I'd explain it to do you if I thought you could get it.
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #179
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
hardly in a condo in an area of lots of condos. you need to come out and visit sometime, UP....this isn't the suburbia of the 1940's. Then again, mini-malled Chicago aint' exactly the city of the 1940's (a little more Disney like today, woiuldn't you say).

However, we still love the city and respect it; even if the pompus in the city don't feel the same about us. I guess we're just a little more tollerant...for what it's worth, you know, respecting the way that people live differently than us. Call that the anti-Bush attitude...you know...open, accepting. I'd explain it to do you if I thought you could get it.
^ I'm sorry, but last I checked I was just poking a bit of fun. If that struck a nerve, well then what can I say? I've got a Saturday to go and enjoy
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #180
The Urban Politician
The City

TOD along the blue line:

The Grove blends urban with suburban

Published December 9, 2006

As a frequent CTA rider, I have been on almost every line in the system. But I had not taken the Blue Line to the end of the line in west suburban Forest Park until recently.

An advertisement for The Residences at The Grove prompted an excursion to Forest Park.

The ad, aimed at young urban buyers, encourages them to "push the boundaries." By forgoing such hot spots as the West or South Loop for a 19-minute trip west, the ad suggests buying a new condo or townhouse for a "fraction" of the price.

When a friend mentioned she had heard Forest Park is the affordable alternative to Oak Park and River Forest for young adults, I decided to check it out.

Many people know the Blue Line for the leg running between O'Hare International Airport and the Loop down the center of the Kennedy Expressway. The other leg goes west from the Loop along the Eisenhower Expressway past the University of Illinois at Chicago campus, the hospital district and through Chicago's West Side. It is an easy commute, though the claim of a trip less than 20 minutes on the CTA seems a stretch.

At the end of the line, however, riders are only steps away from the development, which is across the street from the modern station where the CTA intersects with connecting bus lines.

Once a site for commercial buildings, the property has several three-level townhouse buildings and a five-story condominium. Well along in sales and construction, the development is planned for 60 two- and three-bedroom townhouses and 140 one- to three-bedroom condominiums. Most of the townhouses are sold and built, or under construction. Construction is starting on the second condo, 25 percent sold, with completion targeted for late fall or winter 2007.

Living in the shadow of its bigger, better-known neighbors--Oak Park and River Forest--Forest Park has about 15,700 residents and will celebrate its centennial in 2007. The village is home to the Circle Theater and has a lively dining and entertainment scene along Madison Avenue, the heart of its downtown.

This is the second Forest Park project for Northfield-based Focus Development Inc. and The Taxman Corp. of Skokie. The team's Madison Commons is a mixed-use development on Madison Street in the village.

Focus has done similar downtown projects in Oak Park and Winnetka and is the builder of two projects in Evanston, including the Church Street Station complex. It specializes in suburban infill and downtown revitalization projects, and the experience shows in the two townhouses and one condo model at The Grove.

The early residents of the project have been a mix of young people and downsizing empty-nesters, who say they are retreating from higher taxes in neighboring Oak Park and River Forest, said sales agent Stacy Hennings.

Sales of townhouses have been brisk, as were the smaller one-bedroom condominiums. All those base-priced under $200,000 are sold, she said.

The recently opened furnished condo model is a 1,397-square-foot, two-bedroom plan with a den. A corner unit, it overlooks a grassy, landscaped area planned between the two L-shaped condominiums and the back yards of two townhouse buildings

The entrances to the two condo buildings will be toward the west, about a block away from the CTA terminal. The model is well away from the commuter station side of the complex, though in all honesty I did not hear noise from the trains and attendant bus and car traffic even when I was touring the two townhouses closest to them. Kudos to the builder for that.

(the rest of the article talks about units, furnishing, zzzzz... click below for that)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...ednewhomes-hed