daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #1
vicecityguy

Likes (Received): 5

Long Beach, USA Projects!

High-Rise Projects

Broadway & Main Towers

function: Residential (1,300 units)
location: current surface parkinglot north of World Trade Center & Long Beach Hilton
Tower 1 - floors: 55
Tower 2 - floors: 45

completion: 2009 or 2010
developer: Molasky Pacific California LLC

Rendering:

Shoreline Gateway
function: Residential (310 units)
Tower 1 - floors: 24
Tower 2 - floors: 21
Tower 3 - floors: 12
completion: 2009
developer: Anderson Pacific LLC

Rendering:

Camden
function: Residential (216 units)
floors: 21
completion: 2007

Rendering:

Edgewater

function: Residential (155 units)
floors: 22

Rendering:

MTA Block
URBAN GROWTH LONG BEACH / RELATED COMPANIES
Tower “One” is a 22-story loft- condominium building.
Tower “Two” is a 14-story soft-loft condominium building

Rendering:

West Ocean Long Beach
function: Residential (246 units)
Tower 1 - floors: 30
Tower 2 - floors: 20

Rendering:

Press Telegram Lofts
October Five Development is proposing two 22 story towers:

Aqua

function: Residential (556 units)
Tower 1 - floors: 18
Tower 2 - floors: 18
architect: EDI Architecture, Inc
completion: 2005

Rendering:

Mid-Rise Projects

The Park at Harbor View
function: Residential (538 units)
Tower 1: floors: 10
Tower 2: floors: 10
architect: ARK Architects

Rendering:

Hotel Esterel at The Promenade

function: Hotel (12,500 square feet of retail and 39 units)
floors: 6
completion: 2008

Rendering:

Sierra Suites Hotel
function: Hotel (140 suites)
floors: 7
developer: Diversified Realty

Rendering:

Low-Rise Projects

Pacifica

function: Mixed-use (5,196 square feet of retail and 62 units)
floors: 5

Rendering:

Promenade Walk - The Olson Company

function: Mixed-use (13,000 square feet of retail/shopkeeper and 97 units)
floors: 4
completion: 2006

Rendering:

Promenade Lofts - Lyon Realty Advisors

function: Mixed-use (11,200 square feet of retail and 104 units)

Rendering:

3rd Street Promenade Lofts - Urban Pacific Builders
function: Mixed-use (30 units)
floors: 7

Rendering:

CityPlace 4th/Elm Lofts
function: Residential
architect: Paul Essick
completion: 2006

Rendering:

Lofts on 4th
function: Mixed-use (10,000 square feet of retail and 33 units)
floors: 3
architect: ARK Architects

Rendering:

Broadway Lofts

function: Mixed-use (9,000 sq. ft. ground floor retail space and 48 residential lofts)
floors: 5
Location: 248 E. Broadway (southwest corner of Broadway and Long Beach Blvd.)

Rendering:

Never Built

Ocean and Alamitos Tower

function: Residential
floors: 40
developer: Molasky Pacific California LLC

1000 Ocean Tower

function: Residential (112 units)
floors: 16
developer: Diversified Investment Brokerage, Inc.

Rendering:

Tower of Toscana

function: Observation Tower/Entertainment/Retail
height: 600 feet
retail: 85,000 square feet
Developer: Russell Geyser

Rendering:

Other Notable Projects

Insurance Exchange Lofts

function: Residential redevelopment (556 units)
floors: 11
architect: EDI Architecture, Inc

Rendering:

Temple Lofts

function: Residential redevelopment
developer: Tri-Mark Pacific Homes
floors: 6
completion: Mid-2005

Rendering:

The Pike at Rainbow Harbor

function: Retail/entertainment (369,000 square foot development of retail/restaurant)
completion: 2003

Rendering:

Aquarium of the Pacific

function: education/entertainment (369,000 square foot development of retail/restaurant)
completion: 1998

Rendering:

Cityplace

function: mixed-use (450,000 square feet of retail and 330 units)
location: bounded by 3rd Street, Pine Avenue, 6th Street, and Elm Avenue in Downtown Long

Beach
architect: Jerde Partnership
completion: 2004

Rendering:

Last edited by vicecityguy; August 4th, 2006 at 02:39 AM.
vicecityguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Kingsken
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 3

Wow! There are some impressive projects!
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #3
vicecityguy

Yeah, and there are more which haven't been announced.... LB is changing as we 'type'.
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Pat

Likes (Received): 2

I hope they will build it on solid ground. ;-)
Pat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #5
rocky

superb
rocky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #6
MeshmeshA

Likes (Received): 0

thx vicecityguy for these projects
MeshmeshA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:04 AM   #7
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 4

I love em all except for the Cityplace thing, they shoulve just rebuilt the mall like there was before, i dont like the way they re-did it. especially since i remember shopping at that mall when i was smaller, oh the memories..
PotatoGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #8
vicecityguy

you prefer a Mall over what's there? I would prefer a dirt lot over a mall... I hate malls!~
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #9
vicecityguy

Shoreline Gateway (Northwest Corner of Alamitos and Ocean)

· Three buildings: 22, 15, & 8 stories
· Mixed-use, urban infill development
· 310 residential for sale units
· 20,000 sq.ft. of retail / live-work / art gallery space

Shoreline Gateway focuses on the planning and development of a "Gateway Project" worthy of being the entrance to both the East Village Arts district and the eastern edge of downtown Long Beach. It is comprised of approximately 20,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail, gallery, cafe and civic space, parking for 650 cars which accommodates the project and provides parking for the neighborhood, and houses approximately 310 units of primarily for-sale residential with associated amenities such as a pool and fitness center.

Conceived as an "urban village" inspired by the East Village Arts District, Shoreline Gateway includes a very wide diversity of residential unit types from artist/live-work space to medium size condominiums and possibly some apartments, to large elegant high-rise homes.

Through a collaborative process, involving the redevelopment agency, city staff, local community groups and property owners, AndersonPacific, LLC has created a mixed-use plan that responds to both the iconic city requirements, as well as integrating into the existing urban framework of the adjacent neighborhoods.
Old April 7th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #10
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

West Ocean Tower 1 is already sold out, talk about the market booming. It is in its 14th floor I believe, the last time I saw it in the LA Times, it looked great. West Ocean Tower 2 is 20 floors high too, about 220 feet high. It is barely off ground, but catching up quickly with its sister. It is somewhere around half way sold out, but I expec it to be sold out way before it is finished. Completion is scheduled for 2007. Great views of dt and the beach from both.
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #11
BillyBTall

Thanks for all that!!! I've lived in Long Beach for over 10 years and it amazes me how much downtown Long Beach has changed!
BillyBTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #12
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

Whoa!!! They are nice projects.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #13
sbaumberger

Likes (Received): 1

How about the City Hall East competition? Here are a couple of the entries:

And the design for Edgewater has changed - here's the latest version:
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #14
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Very nice!
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #15
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

there are actually a few more projects in the pipeline as well, hopefully LAMG from SSP will post those here as well.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #16
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

LBC is really going at it. Sbaunburger, that first rendering looks really cool, I've never seen it before. Actually I've never seen any of them. The first one looks kind of LA Lavish...that's good, I like the projects flashy. Edgewater looks really futuristic, is it alive?
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #17
Max the Swede
Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Woah! Nice to see this great location get the focus it deserves!
Max the Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #18
jcpardell

I believe much of what is being proposed is over speculation. How can Long Beach sustain density growth without providing a solid economic base for those who may end up living in these projects. I'm unaware of any corporations stating they plan to set up shop in the city. Before everyone gets too excited, study Long Beach's demographics.
jcpardell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #19
vicecityguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpardell
I believe much of what is being proposed is over speculation. How can Long Beach sustain density growth without providing a solid economic base for those who may end up living in these projects. I'm unaware of any corporations stating they plan to set up shop in the city. Before everyone gets too excited, study Long Beach's demographics.
I updated the first post in this thread with updated renderings.

Regarding your comment... did you get a chance to see this article in the Press Telegram, take note of the blue bold test at the end of the article...

Don Jergler, Staff writer

LONG BEACH - Half this city of nearly 500,000 - the state's fifth largest and the 33rd most populated in the nation - is in a redevelopment area.

That means one can find chainlink fencing, graded dirt lots, half-erected high-rises and cordoned-off areas all around the city.

Progress appears to be everywhere, and more of it is on its way.

The Redevelopment Agency's budget for the upcoming fiscal year calls for more than $102 million in expenditures.

"The focus of the Redevelopment Agency is to continue development activity that we have, in Downtown, North, the Central area, to expand open space, and create new housing opportunities at market and affordable rates," said Craig Beck, director of the RDA.

Several housing projects, parks and street improvements are expected to kick in with the approval of the budget. Other projects are under way this year or about to break ground under previous RDA budgets.

The RDA Board gave its approval to the budget last week, and the City Council is expected to review and approve the budget sometime in September.

Redevelopment is a tool created by state law that enables local governments to eliminate blight to make way for economic development, and the reconstruction and rehabilitation of residential, commercial, industrial and retail districts.

Redevelopment money largely comes from tax increment, which is based on the assumption that a revitalized area will generate more property taxes. When a redevelopment project area is adopted, values of the property within the area are assessed. As assessed values and property tax revenues rise, the extra tax above that baseline - tax increment - is diverted back to the area for redevelopment.

California's Redevelopment Law requires that no less than 20 percent of tax increment be used to increase, or improve, the supply of low- and moderate-income housing.

The RDA budget outlines expenditures for the city's seven redevelopment project areas:

Central; Downtown; Los Altos; North Long Beach; Poly High; West Beach; and West Long Beach.

The North and Central areas are expected to yield some of the biggest changes for the upcoming year.

With a fiscal year 2007 budget that totals more than $28 million, several projects are taking hold in the Central Project Area.

The agency has big plans this year for the Menorah Senior Housing project at the northwest corner of Atlantic Avenue and Vernon Street.

The $14.7 million project includes the development of 66 units of affordable senior housing.

Construction is scheduled to begin in summer 2007.

The project could be expanded, and Beck said the focus is currently on including medical offices and possible work force housing.

"We want to leverage the development of Memorial Hospital," Beck said, referring to Memorial Medical Center's planned $276 million expansion.

Under the expansion plan, Miller Children's Hospital will build a four-story, 120,000- square-foot addition with seven surgical suites, 48 neonatal beds and 28 general pediatric beds. The Medical Center also plans to realign entrances, build a utility trench and construct a central plant building. It is also asking for several zoning changes and variances.

The plan could take 10 to 15 years to complete.

Construction is already under way on Site 1 of the West Gateway project between 3rd and 4th streets and Golden and Maine avenues.

The $24.8 million project is expected to provide 64 affordable housing units and should be complete sometime in 2007, Beck said.

North projects
In the North Long Beach project area, Admiral Kidd Park at Willard Street and Santa Fe Avenue will undergo landscaping to improve the park under a $6.7 million project expected to begin this winter.

The North Village project figures into the budgets, though it may take longer than a year to see some changes.

Expect to see changes on Atlantic Avenue just north of South Street on both sides of the street.

Existing buildings there are slated for removal and a historic theater is to be adapted for reuse under a project expected eventually to yield a new library with traditional library services featuring a community room that could also be used for art galleries. The library could also include an Internet cafe, Beck said, adding, "It would be a kind of a Borders books with a community center."

The $25 million-plus project could have a groundbreaking within a year.

The North area benefited from higher tax increment figures than originally believed. Revenue for the North are now projected to reach $37 million for 2007.

"Now it appears that those projects can be fully funded," said Martha Thuente, chair of the North Project Area Committee.

"I think North's time has come," she said.

Downtown projects
A focus on downtown continues, with several projects on The Promenade under way or set to break ground.

Construction on the Hotel Esterel, formerly the D'Orsay Embassy Suites, is expected to begin in the fall. The long-delayed project at Broadway and The Promenade is expected to yield a 155-room, 6-story hotel by sometime in 2007.

Construction on the 22-story high-rise Edgewater on Ocean residential development, 155 residential condominium units at the southeast corner of Ocean Boulevard and Pine Avenue, is also set to begin in fall and wrap up in 2008.

Completion is expected on both towers of West Ocean, at 400 W. Ocean Blvd., this year. Tower 1 will have 132 units in 29 floors and Tower 2 will have 114 units in 20 floors. Retail space totaling 3,569 square feet will be on the project's street level.

Construction on the Press-Telegram Lofts at 604 Pine Ave. is also expected to begin this year. The adaptive reuse is expected to provide work force housing, plus up to 60 units for tenure-track faculty at Cal State Long Beach.

Lyon Realty's apartment project on the north portion of the block, bounded by The Promenade, 3rd Street and Long Beach Blvd is expected to begin this year, and yield 104 apartments.
Don Jergler can be reached at [email protected] or (562) 499-1281.
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #20
jcpardell

I cite the CityPlace mall and the Pike, as evidence of redevelopment failures in Long Beach. I'm interested to see what retail tenants are listed for these projects. I advise you, to venture over to Pine Ave., which is the main downtown corridor. You will need a calculator to count the many vacant storefronts on the block.
jcpardell no está en línea   Reply With Quote