SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Which Southern State has the most Airlines Headquartered There?

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Nick in Atlanta 
#1 ·
Many Southern States have airlines Headquartered in their State which has the most?

See less See more
#10 ·
i really don't care about this but i know that florida has

spirit, and airtran

#17 · (Edited)
US Airways is HQ'd in Northern Virginia.

Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) used to be partially owned by Delta, but now it is fully owned by Delta. Either way it is HQ'd in Atlanta.

AirTran will probably not move to Atlanta as far as I can see. I think they may actually believe there is a jinx involved with being HQ'd in Atlanta. Remember that AirTrans previous incarnation called Valujet was HQ'd in Atlanta and it had that horrendous crash in the Everglades just west of Miami. You'd be surprised how superstitious people can be. I think they'll stay in Orlando for a while.

Hooters Air, I believe, is HQ'd in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Texas is definitely airline HQ land, and the DFW Metroplex is HQ city #1. It is HQ for the largest airline in the world: American Airlines. And it is HQ for the US airline that has the highest market capitalization in the US: Southwest.

#20 ·
I forgot to mention that World Airways is HQ'd in Peachtree City, a southern suburb of Atlanta. They don't have commercial flights, but have a fleet of DC-10s and MD-11s that they charter out for various services. They fly a lot of soldiers to and from the Persian Gulf. They also have freighters that they loan out to various cargo airlines, like EVA Air Cargo of Taiwan and others.

World Airways' holding company recently bought North American Airlines, which has a number of 757s and 767s which are leased out to various vacation charter companies. For example, if you book an all included charter to Las Vegas from New York, there is a good chance that your charter company will have hired North American Airlines to fly you from JFK to Las Vegas and back again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.