daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #201
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

just some light reading:

Mandarin Oriental Chicago to Open in 2009
Prices will range from $600,000 to $21 million.
by Meaghan O'Neill
Interior Design · September 8, 2006

Located at Stetson Avenue and Lake Street, just one block from Millennium Park, Mandarin Oriental Tower, Chicago could become one of the city’s most luxurious residential addresses, when completed in 2009. Designed by architect Martin Wolf of Solomon Cordwell Buenz, with interior design by Todd Avery Lenahan (best known for his work on Wynn Las Vegas) of Avery Brooks & Associates, the Tower will offer three ownership options: Condominiums, residence-apartments, and guest rooms. Ownership options are differentiated mainly by choice of furnishings and extent of hotel amenities. The latter will include an enormous spa, five-star dining, a bar-lounge, and the world-renowned Mandarin Oriental Cake Shop.

Lavish one- to four-bedroom condos, of which 150 are available, will offer spectacular views, a private lobby entrance, and the option to choose from several interior designers. The 770- to 13,000-square-foot spaces cost between $600,000 and $21 million. The 100 Residences at Mandarin Oriental, Chicago are situated in the middle of the tower and offer one- to three-bedroom spaces, from 844 to 6,200 square feet and are priced from $1.2 million and up. Also available for purchase are 250 Guest Rooms, which come fully furnished. With average room sizes of more than 750 square feet, these one- and two-bedroom guest suites will be among the city’s largest.

Chicago-based Palladian Development is developing the property and the Corcoran Sunshine Marketing Group is leading the marketing campaign.

http://www.interiordesign.net/id_new...CA6369639.html
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #202
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Considering construction has not even really been conceived yet let alone started doesn't 2009 seem a little ambitious, afterall we are talking of a building that iapproaches 1000ft......this is no mean feat
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #203
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

As mentioned on SSP, the Mandarin Oriental website was updated with lots of new info and floorplans.

Another mention of 74 floors, as well as a phrase "live at 900 feet"

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #204
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I was called by one of their sales reps (she asked me whether I had been to the Mandarin Hotel in AOL/Time Warner and I said, in a rather sophisticated voice, "yes of course") and she said sales already started 2 weeks ago. A one bedroom around 760 sq feet is about $560,000. So this is definitely on the higher end of the price scale.

I would have tried to squeeze out more info (height, percent sales, etc) but I didn't want to be rude to my wife, with whom I was eating lunch at a restaurant.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #205
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

I'm glad they finally moved into the sales phase.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #206
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

UPDATE Last updated: September 12, 2006 08:37am
Palladian Plans $500M Hotel/Residential Condo
By Marita Thomas

Mandarin Oriental TowerCHICAGO-Locally based Palladian Development has finalized plans for Mandarin Oriental Tower, Chicago, a 74-story building in the East Lakeshore neighborhood that will combine 250 condo hotel units with 250 residences. Hong Kong-based Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group will manage the property.
This follows plans for US Mandarin brand luxury hotels and residences scheduled to open in Boston, Las Vegas and Dallas between 2008 and 2009. Other under development include Mexico and Barcelona in 2007, Grand Cayman in 2008 and Macau in 2009.

The Chicago property will be located at an existing parking lot in the East Lakeshore neighborhood adjacent to Millennium Park. There will be separate entrances at 210 N. Stetson and 230 N. Stetson for the hotel and residential components, respectively. A Palladian spokeswoman tells GlobeSt.com the estimated development cost of the project ranges between $400 million and $500 million.

Unit pricing is equally stellar. The 150 Tower Condos, which occupy floors 55 through 74, range from one-bedroom units to four-bedroom layouts. Prices begin at $600,000 and reach to $21 million. Prices for the 100 other residential condo unit on floors 41 through 54 begin at $1.2 million.
The 250 hotel condo suites occupy floors 28 through 40 and range from about 572 sf to 793 sf. Prices for these begin in the $600,000s and reach to $7 million. Hotel unit buyers can enroll in Mandarin’s rental program, which provides management, maintenance and leasing of units when owners are away. Hotel and residential owners share all of the hotel’s amenities, and it is designed as a five-star property.

The lower floors, one through 28, will contain two restaurants, a spa, fitness center and additional service retail along with parking space. Martin Wolf of locally based Solomon Cordwell Buenz is the lead architect.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #207
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

September 12, 2006

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:08 AM   #208
Retrograde
Chicago

The sales center is now open and there's a model of the building inside.

Here's the new signage near the site:
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #209
Origami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

$20 million for a pad??
Origami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #210
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

date for construction start? this year?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:21 AM   #211
Retrograde
Chicago

There was some activity at the Mandarin Oriental site on 10/17. Kenny Construction had a pickup truck and a Caterpillar loader/backhoe on the lot. The equipment was moving sand around and leveling out the ground near the north entryway.

A truck from Hydro-Exc., Inc. was on site at noontime. Here's a description of what they do from their website:
Hydro-Exc., Inc. is a construction service company that assists contractors in making their projects safer, more productive and profitable. Safety is our first priority. When contractors hire our services, we can safely excavate and expose underground utilities with our state of the art equipment. There is no fear of striking a utility, or bringing harm to employees or the environment they work in.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM   #212
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

My god... I never thought this one would really happen!!!!

I love this tower!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:48 PM   #213
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

So is Mandarin considered site prep, under construction, or what??

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:41 AM   #214
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Likes (Received): 9

That tower is really awesome.
Montreal is unique!!
wheelingman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:06 AM   #215
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

I emailed the sales center and got completely stonewalled. All I asked was for sales percentage sold and their projected groundbreaking date and I got a reply that said..

"Thank you Dan. We appreciate your interest and our current information is available to the public on our website"

huh?...I've never really been stonewalled like that before when contacting the sales centers, I'm now somewhat suspicious of their sales progress, anyways Im going to swing by the sales center this week and ask in person and I won't leave until they answer me, unless they call the CPD then I will leave, but not happily.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:31 AM   #216
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I love the persistence. To be honest, I can't imagine how a project like this isn't sailing though sales. It's a great project and the sales package that they send you is very nice
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:28 AM   #217
spyguy
Expert

They've actually been pretty nice to me and quite helpful with requests for certain info (although I never asked for % sold).
Old October 31st, 2006, 05:50 AM   #218
cubsfan

Likes (Received): 0

Why do developers of buildings like this one, design it to be 930 ft. why not just add an extra 70 ft. and make it a 1,000'? I never understood why some fall just short, is it that only the enthusiast's care about the 1,000ft. plateau & certain developers could care less?
cubsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:28 AM   #219
spyguy
Expert

^But who said it was even 930 feet? It seems like this one will actually be under 900.
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:56 AM   #220
cubsfan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^But who said it was even 930 feet? It seems like this one will actually be under 900.
I was going off of the 930'/ 74 floors figure at the top.
cubsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote