daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #21
Chicago3rd

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant
Has anybody seen the rendering on SSP? Strangely, it kinda looks like the Heritage.
The picture was that of the Boulvards Project, which was dead about 1 year ago. Think it is just being used to help size up the possibilities.
Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #22
Suburbanite

Likes (Received): 5

Is it just me or does 887' seem a bit short for 90 stories?
Suburbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #23
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

It's very short.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #24
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

So am I mistaken? Was Manderin originally planning to operate out of Waterview, but now they are constructing their own highrise hotel? Also, how much in jeopardy is Waterview now without a hotel occupant?

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #25
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

This is a rendering of the Park Boulevard Tower, and older proposal for the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge
So am I mistaken? Was Manderin originally planning to operate out of Waterview, but now they are constructing their own highrise hotel? Also, how much in jeopardy is Waterview now without a hotel occupant?
Well, nothing had ever been confirmed about the Mandarin Oriental being apart of Waterview Tower. It was all speculation.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #26
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Reminds me a bit of Trump Toronto.
Old June 10th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #27
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

hey, I found a summary of the article.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is to manage a new 250-room luxury hotel and 50 branded residences which are planned to open in Chicago in early 2008.

Mandarin Oriental, Chicago will occupy 15 floors of a new 90-storey tower which will be an exclusive mixed-use development in Chicago’s growing Millenium Park neighbourhood. In addition to the hotel and its luxury residences, the new 1.2 million square-foot development will feature a further 300 deluxe condominiums as well as upscale retail shops.

The project is ideally located for Chicago’s world-class cultural attractions, shopping, dining and entertainment facilities. It is adjacent to Millennium Park, the city’s renowned centre for art, music, architecture and landscape design, featuring the most sophisticated outdoor concert venue of its kind in the United States, designed by Frank Gehry. Located at 215 North Michigan Avenue, the hotel is also a short walk from the Magnificent Mile Shopping District and is ideally placed for easy access to McCormick Place, the largest convention facility in America. Chicago’s vast Pedway system is accessible directly from the development, which allows convenient covered walkways to the city’s financial district.

Mandarin Oriental, Chicago will offer 200 oversized guestrooms and 50 suites which will be among the most spacious accommodations in the city, with views of Lake Michigan to the north and east, Millennium Park to the south, and Chicago’s celebrated cityscape to the west.

An array of dining choices will be offered at the hotel’s 80-seat signature restaurant, an all-day dining venue, spa café, stylish bar, lobby lounge and Cake Shop – Chicago’s version of the legendary “Mandarin Cake Shop” at the flagship Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong.

The 20,000 square-foot Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Chicago will feature 14 treatment rooms, with two VIP couples suites, state-of-the-art heat and water treatments, including a Hamam for men and Rasul for women, as well as a spa café offering tailor-made, healthy cuisine. A dedicated pilates and yoga studio will complement the fully-equipped fitness facility.

The hotel will also offer exceptional amenities to business travellers, including the latest technology in the guest rooms as well as a full-service business centre. Ample meeting and function space, with a 10,000 square-foot ballroom, and four additional private meeting rooms equipped with state-of-the-art technology are also featured.

The Residences at Mandarin Oriental, Chicago will be located above the hotel with units ranging from 1,000 to 3,000 square-feet. As with all Residences at Mandarin Oriental, owners will be treated as permanent guests of the hotel and will enjoy exclusive access to the services and amenities provided on property.

“We are delighted to be opening a new hotel in the celebrated city of Chicago. This project represents a wonderful opportunity for Mandarin Oriental to further strengthen our brand in significant business and leisure destinations worldwide,” said Edouard Ettedgui, Group Chief Executive of Mandarin Oriental. “We look forward to bringing Mandarin Oriental’s renowned levels of hospitality to this vibrant new development and its remarkable location. We certainly support Mayor Daley’s mission for the area’s success.”

“We are excited about the addition of Mandarin Oriental to the city of Chicago. The development only serves to further enhance the amenities and visitor attractions in and around Millennium Park,” said Mayor Richard M. Daley.

The project is being developed by Illinois Center Development, LLC (ICDG), a private investment partnership formed by the development team of Frank Leo and Gerard Kenny of Chicago, Illinois. Mr. Kenny’s firm Kenny Construction Company will be leading construction of the overall project. The award-winning firm of Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB) will be lead architect coordinating with Patrick Danan of ICDG.

“Our project will play an important role in the continuing renaissance of the area surrounding Millennium Park. The development promises to be a new city icon and we are very pleased to be working with Mandarin Oriental to create a unique luxury experience in Chicago,” said Frank Leo, a principal of Illinois Center Development, LLC.

Source: http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news05/76-Chicago.shtml
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #28
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

For a moment, I thought it will be a Chicago icon as Mandarin promised. Thankfully, it wasn't. *whew*
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:33 AM   #29
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

If you're referring to the pictures that bvic posted... those aren't the proposal for the Mandarin. That's an old proposal for the same site that never materialized.
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM   #30
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

I just spoke with John Lahey, who is Presigent of Solomon Cordwell Buenz. I was expecting to leave a voice mail, but hey, what can I say. At this time a rendering is not avaliable I was told that they are still in the early design phase, and it would be 1-2 months before something might be presentable.

He was unable to confirm if the height of the building was being measured from the bottom of the pit or from the upper levels of Lake and Stetson, which is where we want the measurements taken from.

He mentioned that the programming for the Mandarin Oriental was a bit different than what they expected, so some things are being worked on.

What I'll probably do is check back in with him at the end of August, and maybe something more will be available. Until then we need to be parient, (which I know is hard for some of you) and keep this thread active with questions and speculation.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:09 AM   #31
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
What I'll probably do is check back in with him at the end of August, and maybe something more will be available. Until then we need to be parient, (which I know is hard for some of you) and keep this thread active with questions and speculation.
Don't worry, we can all be "parient".

Good news on the height not being final. 887' seems really short for 90 stories, I'm looking for that to go up quite a bit. 900+
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:14 AM   #32
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for keeping us informed, BVictor! I have a feeling that it may reach 900 ft or higher.

I think we all can be "parient" throughout summertime.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:51 AM   #33
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Good news on the height not being final. 887' seems really short for 90 stories, I'm looking for that to go up quite a bit. 900+
the floor count probably isn't solidified at this stage of the game either. maybe it ends up only being 80 floors/800 ft. or maybe it even gets a more severe height reduction.

my point: don't bank on or look for anything at this point in time, it's much too early in the process.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 01:53 AM   #34
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

So now are ther still two 90 story towers in the works? Mandarin and Waterview?
How's progress coming along on the Waterview. Is ground breaking in the near future?

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:03 AM   #35
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ waterview tower is currently proposed to stand 89 floors. victor has said that constrution would start sometime this summer/fall, but we've still heard absolutely nothing on the hotel operation front, so i still hold some doubts.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:59 AM   #36
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
He mentioned that the programming for the Mandarin Oriental was a bit different than what they expected, so some things are being worked on.

What does this statement mean? I dont understand.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:21 AM   #37
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

uhhhhhhhhhh, it's a pretty straightforward statement dude. the programming for this job wasn't exactly what they were expecting so they're doing some more work on it. i don't mean to be a pretentious ass about it, but what don't you understand?
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:02 AM   #38
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
uhhhhhhhhhh, it's a pretty straightforward statement dude. the programming for this job wasn't exactly what they were expecting so they're doing some more work on it. i don't mean to be a pretentious ass about it, but what don't you understand?
Dont be an ass!! If I knew I wouldnt've asked the question. What programming are they talking about? Thats what confused me. Im not sure I know what this programming is? I may have just misunderstood something. Just because you know these things does not mean others will. If I dont know or understand something. I ASK!! Thats the only way you learn. And whats obvious to you may not be to all. If you had no real intention of answering, why post? Other than the fact you had the need to make me feel stupid!! Thanks.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:16 AM   #39
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
the floor count probably isn't solidified at this stage of the game either. maybe it ends up only being 80 floors/800 ft. or maybe it even gets a more severe height reduction.
Dude, shut up! I don't even want to think about that.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:17 AM   #40
chiphile

I share the confusion, by programming do we mean the entire package? Number of rooms, floor count, square footage, other construction stuff? Or programming like, hotel operation stuff? Not the best word to use there..
chiphile no está en línea   Reply With Quote