daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:43 AM   #41
HowardL

Likes (Received): 1

The program is a tool designers use to translate a client/developer's facility needs into a plan. A client will present the designer with a list of what they need. For example, so many square feet for this purpose, so many square feet for that purpose. It's then up to the designer to figure out the blocking and stacking so that the building meets their needs. The developer has a list of needs that they have identified and it is up to the designer to fit that into plans that work and make them both some money.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:44 AM   #42
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile
I share the confusion, by programming do we mean the entire package? Number of rooms, floor count, square footage, other construction stuff? Or programming like, hotel operation stuff? Not the best word to use there..
Thanks. What you have is exactly what I was getting at.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:47 AM   #43
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL
The program is a tool designers use to translate a client/developer's facility needs into a plan. A client will present the designer with a list of what they need. For example, so many square feet for this purpose, so many square feet for that purpose. It's then up to the designer to figure out the blocking and stacking so that the building meets their needs. The developer has a list of needs that they have identified and it is up to the designer to fit that into plans that work and make them both some money.
Ah okay. Cool to know. I didnt know that...obviously. Thanks HowardL
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:28 AM   #44
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoLvr83
Dont be an ass!! If I knew I wouldnt've asked the question. What programming are they talking about? Thats what confused me. Im not sure I know what this programming is? I may have just misunderstood something. Just because you know these things does not mean others will. If I dont know or understand something. I ASK!! Thats the only way you learn. And whats obvious to you may not be to all. If you had no real intention of answering, why post? Other than the fact you had the need to make me feel stupid!! Thanks.
dude, i apologize. i falsely assumed that everyone on this forum knows what a building program is. i didn't know that that was the part you didn't understand. i can't read minds. i wasn't trying to be an ass, i literally didn't know what part of that statement you didn't understand. if you had just asked "what does programming mean?" i would have been glad to answer your question, but because i sometimes forget that not everyone in this community is involved in the proffession, it was hard for me to understand what you didn't understand.

again, my apologies.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:45 AM   #45
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
dude, i apologize. i falsely assumed that everyone on this forum knows what a building program is. i didn't know that that was the part you didn't understand. i can't read minds. i wasn't trying to be an ass, i literally didn't know what part of that statement you didn't understand. if you had just asked "what does programming mean?" i would have been glad to answer your question, but because i sometimes forget that not everyone in this community is involved in the proffession, it was hard for me to understand what you didn't understand.

again, my apologies.
Nah, dont worry about it. I guess I shouldve been more clear in my question. My apologies for that. I just couldnt figure out how I wanted to phrase it. BUT, now I know what it means and thats what matters.

I digress.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:38 AM   #46
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Great explanation Howard. I think programming can be simply thought of as a building's "uses." How are people going to interact with the architecture; what is the function of the space supposed to be?

^-- just an even simpler answer.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #47
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1056

Mandarin Oriental, Chicago (Opening 2008)

Mandarin Oriental, Chicago will occupy 15 floors of a new 90-storey tower which will be an exclusive mixed-use development in Chicago’s growing Millennium Park neighbourhood, and is ideally located for Chicago’s world-class cultural attractions, shopping, dining and entertainment facilities.

The hotel will be a showcase of innovative, contemporary design, combining a reflection of the Group’s oriental heritage with a strong sense of place. The 20,000 square-foot Spa will create an unprecedented relaxation experience within a vibrant urban setting.

In addition to the 250 spacious guestrooms and suites, the property will also feature 50 luxurious branded residences and a further 300 deluxe condominiums, as well as upscale retail shops.

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #48
itsnotrequired

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Mandarin Oriental, Chicago (Opening 2008)

Mandarin Oriental, Chicago will occupy 15 floors of a new 90-storey tower which will be an exclusive mixed-use development in Chicago’s growing Millennium Park neighbourhood, and is ideally located for Chicago’s world-class cultural attractions, shopping, dining and entertainment facilities.

The hotel will be a showcase of innovative, contemporary design, combining a reflection of the Group’s oriental heritage with a strong sense of place. The 20,000 square-foot Spa will create an unprecedented relaxation experience within a vibrant urban setting.

In addition to the 250 spacious guestrooms and suites, the property will also feature 50 luxurious branded residences and a further 300 deluxe condominiums, as well as upscale retail shops.

That looks like the rendering for the old Park Boulevard Tower project. Is that design "back on the books", so to speak? Or is this just a "filler" image until the offical plans are released?
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #49
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired
That looks like the rendering for the old Park Boulevard Tower project. Is that design "back on the books", so to speak? Or is this just a "filler" image until the offical plans are released?

I don't really know. When I flip back and forth, between the 2, they seem to be one in the same, but it's the image that I got off of the Mandarin Oriental website.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #50
IJT816

Cool. Glad you guys heard about it then. Didn't see it on the first pg of discussions and didn't bother searching for it. I generally don't follow Chicago development as much as Miami & NYC, so wasn't really sure... I'm sure I'll be checking it out once it opens.
IJT816 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #51
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Man... I'm really pulling for this project. Nothing makes me happier than a supertall
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #52
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
Man... I'm really pulling for this project. Nothing makes me happier than a supertall
especially one that fills a yawning cavern of prime real estate.
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:57 AM   #53
kayosthery
I build'em

Is it just me or does that look very similar to The Heritage at Millenium Park?
kayosthery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #54
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery
Is it just me or does that look very similar to The Heritage at Millenium Park?
^ i agree , its not the same but simular
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #55
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

How can you guys even begin to speculate what this thing looks like from an image that size? It's barely a smudge on my screen!
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #56
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 894

Well now it looks like there are two 90 story projects in the works for downtown, excluding the Trump which is already in construcion phase. Anyone want to lay some odds if either the Waterview or the Manderin project will actually be built? I'm optimistic of both projects.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #57
chiphile

^None of the two projects have my confidence yet, they've got a long way to go before I'll bet they even break ground. Waterview, from where it's at right now, may as well have been announced yesterday.
chiphile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #58
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I've actually got more faith in the Mandarin project than I do in WT. Sorry Butler
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #59
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Ya gotta have faith. It will be built. And the Cubs will beat the White Sox in the world series. You'll see.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 05:34 AM   #60
RockfordSoxFan
Rockford, IL

Latoso, you make it oh so difficult not to comment on that. Gonna try to stay on subject...... J/K!!

anyways, I have faith that both will be built. WV seems to be too far along unlike say... 7SD, (to me thats a good enough sign) when they land a hotel tennant- its a done deal, (hopefully in the very near future) and the amount of money, or borrowing power behind MO seems so make it as likely as any tower proposed to be built.