daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2006, 01:07 AM   #161
NWside

Likes (Received): 2

So no slant on top a la Citibank... I still like it.
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:29 AM   #162
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

The tower is fine from the waistline up... doesn't really inspire me to say much. But that base? That's some sexy shit. I think this will be one of the great contemporary street-level experiences in Chicago to date.
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:47 AM   #163
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I like the design. It's not spectacular, but it offers the skyline another dose of modern, glassy goodness. I agree with geoff_diamond: the base is gorgeous. It will interact beautifully with street-level. Transparent and energetic, it is a far cry from many of the introverted, windowless cube bases plaguing River North.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:48 AM   #164
lazar22b

Likes (Received): 0

So this thing is 65 floors not 90? With this design i don't really mind though. Im thinkin 700-800 feet? Its a good quality building.
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:48 AM   #165
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I like the design. It's not spectacular, but it offers the skyline another dose of modern, glassy goodness. I agree with geoff_diamond: the base is gorgeous. It will interact beautifully with street-level. Transparent and energetic, it is a far cry from many of the introverted, windowless cube bases plaguing River North.

Is there a thread on this building in the Highrise News and Developments section? It might be a good idea, now that we finally have a reliable rendering. Or, if there already is one, it should definitely be added.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:55 AM   #166
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

There isn't. Only reason I'm hesitant to make one is because we don't know the final height or floor count (yes they say 65, but I doubt that includes the lantern at top).
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:36 AM   #167
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWside
So no slant on top a la Citibank... I still like it.
the slant from the previouse rendering was shown on the other side of the building , so it ay still be there.

65 floos? what happened ? they chikened out of pushing for the sky?
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:53 AM   #168
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

The curve doesn't exist. That was probably an old rendering just. But the balconies (I think) form another kind of curve on the sides. I also like that big glass box to the left that's above the base; good location for something like a restaurant.

Also, just by counting by hand I get something like 72 floors from base to top.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM   #169
Chi_Coruscant

Nice design. I like it. Does anyone here think MO looks similar to proposed Inter-Continental in term of renderings? It is like they are cousins, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Mandarin will be 64 stories and 879' 6" as measured from Stetson.
Just in case, any forumer wants height info.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM   #170
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

I just heard a blurp on Fox news Chicago about the Mandarin. They showed a model of the tower as well. I'm beginning to take this project more seriously.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false

Last edited by chicagogeorge; March 22nd, 2006 at 02:53 AM.
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:36 PM   #171
Chicagotom

This Mornings Chicago Tribune 3/21/06

Hotel, condos design shown
Questions remain on Mandarin/Oriental

By Thomas A. Corfman
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 21, 2006

The design for the controversial Mandarin Oriental condominium/hotel tower was unveiled Monday by principals in the massive project, despite unanswered questions about its backers.

The development was proposed in June by a venture that included Frank A. Leo, a former New York print company owner, and Florida architect/developer Patrick Danan.

In October the Chicago Tribune reported that Leo and Danan were denied licenses by New York racing authorities in 2004 after published reports of their business ties to Leonard J. Mercer Jr., who has been identified by authorities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey as a front man for organized crime figures.

The skyscraper is proposed for a site at Lake and Stetson Streets that was controlled by Gerard Kenny, a construction executive turned developer who retains an ownership stake in the project.

Mercer, a veteran Florida developer, was originally a partner in the Chicago Mandarin project, though Kenny has claimed he has withdrawn.

The chief executive of the Americas for the luxury Hong Kong hotel chain declined to comment Monday about Mercer or his ties to Danan and Leo.

"I don't really want to comment. . . . I don't know, and I don't want to comment on that," Wolfgang Hultner said during an interview after the press conference. Mandarin previously did not return requests for comment.

Kenny, formerly a top executive with Wheeling-based Kenny Construction Co., also declined to comment Monday. Leo and Danan have previously said they dropped the horseracing applications after a racetrack deal fell through.

During the press conference Leo, who has little real estate experience, downplayed the difficulty of his new profession.

"This developer stuff isn't exactly rocket science. . . . Brain surgery maybe, but not rocket science," he said. He declined to answer any questions.

The cost of the project has risen to $750 million, from an estimate of $550 million when it was announced in June. Yet the project has been scaled back to 65 stories, not including four floors for building equipment, from the 90 stories originally announced. Nonetheless, the total height of the building has increased to more than 930 feet from 887 feet.

Although the project still will include a 250-room hotel, to be managed by Mandarin, the number of condominiums has been cut to 150 from the 350 first proposed.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM   #172
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Larger Rendering

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM   #173
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

yeah, I'm definately digging on this one. Much better than the first rendering that was shown.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM   #174
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

OMG...Looks GREATTTT!!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:32 PM   #175
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I didn't see this article posted...

http://www.globest.com/news/499_499/.../144030-1.html

Palladium Floats 65-Story Hotel-Condo Project
By Mark Ruda
Last updated: March 21, 2006 08:53am

CHICAGO-Palladian Development is the latest to propose a Downtown hotel, teaming with Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group on a 500-unit, 65-story project overlooking Millennium Park. The 250 hotel rooms, being sold as condominiums, will take up the first 31 stories, with 250 condominiums on the upper floors of the $750-million building.

Despite an address of 215 N. Michigan Ave., Mandarin Oriental Tower is separate from the Illinois Center office complex, which includes Loeb Partners Realty’s 1.9-million-sf Michigan Plaza at 205 and 225 N. Michigan Ave. as well as Parkway Properties Inc.’s 1.1-million-sf 233 N. Michigan Ave. Instead, the hotel and condominium tower will be built on the west side of Stetson Avenue, one block east of Michigan Avenue. Solomon Cordwell Buenz is designing the steel and glass tower while Todd-Avery Lenahan leads the interior design team.

Prices of the condominiums are expected to range from $500,000 to more than $10 million. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group will manage the hotel units. The project, expected to open in 2009, also includes a 40,000-sf health club.

Two hotels are within a block, including the 692-room Fairmont hotel at 200 N. Columbus Dr. Strategic Hotels & Resorts plans to test the hotel condominium market this year when it offers 156 rooms at its luxury property as condominium and fractional ownership units. The Hyatt Regency Chicago is at 151 E. Wacker Dr.

The one-acre Mandarin Oriental Tower was acquired in September for $27.2 million, according to property records, with a $25-million mortgage from SFT I, Inc.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:48 PM   #176
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Is anyone interested in perhaps changing the height and floors on the title of this thread?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:17 AM   #177
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Ha! A Michigan address with a Stetson location shouldn't confuse tourists at all!!! Good luck finding that tower folks!
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #178
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
Ha! A Michigan address with a Stetson location shouldn't confuse tourists at all!!! Good luck finding that tower folks!
Well, with it being 900'+ tall it shouldn't be all that hard to find!!! But then again...
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #179
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

That only works when you know what you're looking for. You think the average tourist could tell the Sears Tower from Tower Records?
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #180
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
That only works when you know what you're looking for. You think the average tourist could tell the Sears Tower from Tower Records?
No I don't. I deal with tourist with my work and they always get Sears and Hancock mixed up.