daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #41
avissers
So I says to her, I says

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonhomebuyers
Wow now that I see this thing rising it looks even more retarded. I mean come on. With all the places they could have built a new tower in Milwaukee they choose to build it right on top of Kilbourn. Just does not look good together. I would hate to be the people in kilbourn facing that building.
In 25 - 50 years when Milwaukee is even more built up, it won't look so "retarded". The developers wanted to take advantage of a lake view as a selling point as well as the main reason for developing the tower, being connected and associated to one of the premeir clubs in the Midwest, The University Club. So, I guess that somewhat narrows down the choices for the location. If I could afford a 1.1 million dollar condo in Kilbourn that gave me a view of the lake - I wouldn't care if a nitroglycerin plant was next door, little less another condo tower with equal or greater value condos. Sure, it isn't ideal - but I'm sure the same type of "problem" happens in Chicago, New York, and Vancouver all the time.

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #42
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

i like your idea avissers about the 25 - 50 years
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #43
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Likes (Received): 0

Av, you took the words right out of my mouth man.

So are we saying the the first "skyscraper" ever didn't look "out of place"?? Come on, richardson, you know as well as anyone else that lakefront property right on the edge of downtown is going to be hot!! Owners of the land would be stupid to NOT build "up" when given the opportunity! This building is a HUGE score for Milwaukee!! I can't wait to see how "retarded" the skyline looks when it's complete.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #44
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

Ok so maybe my choice of words was not the best. However, I still feel they are a little to close to each other. I also never said Kilbourn still wouldn't have great views of the lake. I just don't see why anyone would want one of the units in either building that faces directly at the other.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #45
Peter The Great

Likes (Received): 9

^ Those units are for the peeping toms.
Peter The Great no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #46
ReddAlert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

I agree with Richardson in a way. These are two beautiful, landmark towers for Milwaukee. I think that they would look better a little farther apart. However, if people are buying them, why should I care? I will never be able to afford a place in either building. Both towers are just going to bring more and more people into downtown--benefiting it. I find that a better reason to build than not to build because of aethestics.
ReddAlert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #47
ClarkWGriswald
User, Registered

Yeah Redd, I do see Richarson's point and understand it completely. However, step back and take a look at how Milwaukee's skyline is laid out. We've got the 2 tallest, USB and 100 E Wisc that are what, 6-7 blocks apart and everything else kind of strewn about along Wisconsin & Water streets. And let's not forget Prospect ave. So I think that having a couple of buildings close together like this brings in a new dynamic to the city and it's skyline, which already is as diverse and unique as any.

I'm trying to think, where else in the city do we have a couple of the city's tallest next to each other? 100 E Wisc & the Chase bldg? I can't come up with any others right now w/out spending more time, but I hope you see my point. Perhaps this is a trend we can look forward to in Milwaukee in the future, more high-rise density? I don't think that's too unrealistic.
ClarkWGriswald no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #48
ReddAlert
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald
Yeah Redd, I do see Richarson's point and understand it completely. However, step back and take a look at how Milwaukee's skyline is laid out. We've got the 2 tallest, USB and 100 E Wisc that are what, 6-7 blocks apart and everything else kind of strewn about along Wisconsin & Water streets. And let's not forget Prospect ave. So I think that having a couple of buildings close together like this brings in a new dynamic to the city and it's skyline, which already is as diverse and unique as any.

I'm trying to think, where else in the city do we have a couple of the city's tallest next to each other? 100 E Wisc & the Chase bldg? I can't come up with any others right now w/out spending more time, but I hope you see my point. Perhaps this is a trend we can look forward to in Milwaukee in the future, more high-rise density? I don't think that's too unrealistic.
High density is good. These developments the amount of space smaller than some big box retailer....and our going to provide hundreds of people to the area. More people (especially in such a compact area) with money are going to demand better retail, entertainment, dining, and architectural design---which is always a good thing for a city.

Like I said, these two buildings being so close are more of a positive than a negative.
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #49
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

Well I'm glad a couple people somewhat agree with me. I just feel they put these two a little close togather for the amount of space Milwaukee has to fill. I'm in no way putting down the buildings or the fact that Milwaukee is actually building stuff. I'm glad to see Milwaukee has some good projects going on.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #50
Markitect

Actually, Kilbourn Tower is having trouble selling the units that face south, toward the University Club Tower and it's nearly blank walls. So building the two towers so close to each other (10 or so feet apart at the base, 25 feet apart further up) has been somewhat harmful to Kilbourn Tower and de-values those units.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #51
ReddAlert
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect
Actually, Kilbourn Tower is having trouble selling the units that face south, toward the University Club Tower and it's nearly blank walls. So building the two towers so close to each other (10 or so feet apart at the base, 25 feet apart further up) has been somewhat harmful to Kilbourn Tower and de-values those units.
that sucks. If they come down to 300 a month, Ill take em.
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:37 PM   #52
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

UCT article from midwest construction magazine

University Club Tower

Million-Dollar Condos Move into Milwaukee
(11/01/2005)
By Elaine Schmidt

A $90 million condominium tower being built in downtown Milwaukee will offer the city's most expensive condos.

The University Club Tower, sporting luxury condos with price tags greater than $1 million, will overlook the Santiago Calatrava-designed addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Lake Michigan shoreline.

John Feller, senior project manager for general contractor J.H. Findorff & Son Inc. in Milwaukee, said the building will house 38 floors of residential space with mechanical penthouse and will contain 57 units. First occupancy is slated for late August 2006.

The units, two per floor with elevators that open directly into each unit, range from 2,984 sq. ft. to 4,043 sq. ft. Some buyers have opted to purchase an entire floor. By late summer, 44 of the units had been sold.

Ground was broken in late October 2004.

Dealing with Foundry Residue

"We had some unexpected poor soil conditions that set us back nearly 12 weeks to redesign the caisson system," Feller said. The soil consisted of loose clay and some ash from foundries from long ago.

"We originally had a belt caisson system that had to be changed to a straight-shaft system, and we went from 70 ft. deep to over 90 ft. in the change," Feller added.

Also impacting the job from the start was the site's size.

"This is a postage-stamp site," Feller said. Formerly a surface parking lot for the University Club, a social club on East Wells Street, the site is wedged between existing buildings and a major city street. The project team includes Milwaukee-based Mandel Group Inc. as the developer and Chicago-based Skidmore Owings and Merrill LLC as the architect.

Some services the the club provides will be available to tower residents. For example, residents can order meals and use some of its services.

To keep the University Club open, a parking structure was erected before the existing surface lot was taken out of commission. Although the structure took up the little bit of excess space on the site, now that it is completed, its roof will provide some staging and storage space.

Until the garage was completed, crews had only 100 to 120 ft. on Prospect Avenue to stage the entire job.

With barely enough room on the site for one tower crane, Findorff had to think carefully to pour the building's floors.

The solution was found in the use of a Peri Automatic Climbing System, or self-climbing, retractable formwork. Rather than using jump forms that have to be moved from one floor to another by crane, this German-made system moves itself, formwork and all, from floor to floor as the building rises.

Pointing out that the ACS reduced the work load of the tower crane significantly; Feller said he believes this is the first time such a system has been used in Wisconsin.

Fitting In

The exterior of the tower, which will be distinctive for its height and for the glass crown that tops it, is designed to fit in with the other structures in the neighborhood.

The building's skin will be glittering white, complimenting the white-winged Calatrava structure it overlooks and the stately Cudahy Tower residential building to the south. Built in 1909 and 1929, Cudahy is constructed of marble, glazed brick and terra cotta - all gleaming white.

"The really impressive thing about this building [University Club Tower] is going to be the exterior precast," Feller said. "The buyers upgraded to a really white cement."

It is not just white cement; it is custom mixed and sparkling white.

"We are using granite sand instead of limestone or local aggregates," said Teri Bisswurm, vice president of business development for Germantown-based International Concrete Products, the company providing the precast panels.

Comparing the specifics in the mix to a secret family recipe, she declined to divulge where the granite sand was found, although she said that two different granites were used in the mix.

Using granite sand in precast is not commonplace, Bisswurm said. "The granites in the sand will sparkle," she added. "When the sun shines, you will see all kinds of glistening from the very fine crushed granite.

"We get in aggregates from all over the country and we do a lot of samples. We make up 12- by 12-in. samples and then get feedback on them from the architects on what they are looking for."

Once the architect approved the mix, a 4- by 4-ft. piece was made for approval. When the actual panels for the building went into production, the first was approved by the architect before the rest were produced.

"One of the key things in precast is making sure the panels are consistent from panel to panel in color," Bisswurm said.

Amenities

The building's amenities include expansive views of the city skyline, security features, a cooled room for grocery transport, 325-sq.-ft. terraces and 17,000-sq.-ft. private garden.

There also will be 24-hour doormen and building staff, valet parking, carwash and dog-walking services.

Part of the appeal for buyers, and a complication for Findorff, is the fact that the condos can be customized.

"Right now the biggest challenge is to keep everyone on schedule with their plans and shopping," Feller said. Some buyers are using their own architects for the interior designs.

Another coordination issue involves the cabinetry for the condo pantries, which is coming from Italy. Feller said he is looking at a 20-week lead time in getting the millwork and casework onsite.
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #53
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

I was going to post new construction photos on emporis the other day but another emporis photographer, Ryan Bogenschneider, beat me to the punch.

I regularly photograph their progress so I'll start posting pics in here as well as on emporis.

Anyone have a skyline rendering including a completed UCT yet?
MilwaukeeMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #54
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

I am completely aware that this is a horrible skyline rendering.. as I did it in five minutes with microsoft paint. But still, it provides a decent idea as to what the skyline will look like when UCT is done.

I know that UCT will not be as wide as it is in this image. I just didn't really feel like fixing it.

Old November 26th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #55
avissers
So I says to her, I says

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark
I am completely aware that this is a horrible skyline rendering.. as I did it in five minutes with microsoft paint. But still, it provides a decent idea as to what the skyline will look like when UCT is done.

I know that UCT will not be as wide as it is in this image. I just didn't really feel like fixing it.
Interesting. Nice work none the less. There was a photo done a long time ago showing how they would look right next to each other but I have yet to find it recently.

As far the Emporis shots go. The more the better I say. That is the way many with Milwaukee ties living far away are able to view the progress the best.
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #56
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

WOW!!!! I love it. First I've heard about it.

I agree with the towers being too close if I spent that amount of money only to have my south view blocked by a wall... id be really pissed. On the other hand who can really bitch when a building this beuatiful is going up on the skyline.
ScraperDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #57
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

I know it's huge, but here's a new pic of UCT construction taken Thursday, November 24, 2005. Note the windows being installed on the first level pictured.

Old November 29th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #58
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

There was a post on June 10th, 2005 that showed the availability of UCT units. Thought I'd do a comparison almost six months later. Three units have been sold in that time and two other units have switched status. See below:

Old November 29th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #59
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by avissers
As far the Emporis shots go. The more the better I say. That is the way many with Milwaukee ties living far away are able to view the progress the best.
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #60
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 469

Milwaukee Mark, thanks for the updated pictures and figures. I never realized so many units had been sold at the UCT. I'd like to see similar figures for the Kilbourn tower especially now that the South facing units have UCT's wall to look at.