daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Urban Renewal and Redevelopment Bringing new life into old buildings and neighbourhoods

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #2461
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilmeño89 View Post
Before

After

Before

After

The screenshots of "before" are taken from this video (youtube) about the renovation work.

it is not a restoration, they change lot of things of the building, it was an art deco building and now is a simple modern building

so sad that they did that instead of try to restore the original bulding.

goyo liked this post
el palmesano no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #2462
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 5939

It's not a restoration. But it is redevelopment.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #2463
Quilmeño89
Pick up that can

Likes (Received): 13875

Quote:
Originally Posted by el palmesano View Post

it is not a restoration, they change lot of things of the building, it was an art deco building and now is a simple modern building

so sad that they did that instead of try to restore the original bulding.
It's a "revitalization" of that place.
Originally, that building was just a filling station (or gas station) with a disco in the first floor. Later -for decades-, it was kind of abandoned. Not much to restore.
I think it's a way better now.
Quilmeño89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #2464
thompsongda

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Great job Breslau!
It's int. forum so use original or english version, which is Wrocław or Wroclaw. Btw, nice Cockcroft !!

Hamster333, Rombi liked this post
thompsongda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #2465
Hamster333

Likes (Received): 2439

Legnica, Poland

Before:

After:

by tecumseh
Hamster333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #2466
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17003

I don't see a problem with the photos. While the quality isn't great it gets to the point of the thread. Showing the before & after... Your not always going to find high quality photos of every project.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Quilmeño89, Vaklston liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #2467
binbin90

Likes (Received): 183

Lovely thread Beautiful restorations!
binbin90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #2468
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8735

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
The architecture in Argentina never fails to amaze me.
Buenos Aires have a one of the most varied arquitecture in the world you can find a beaux arts building and next to a creppy 70's arquitecture

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #2469
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58076

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsongda View Post
It's int. forum so use original or english version, which is Wrocław or Wroclaw. Btw, nice Cockcroft !!
I still can't even spell that! If there'd be an English-language (thus: Germanic language) version, it should be Breslau. Or perhaps change it to Breslou or something, if you don't like to see the "German" name. Prague for example is Praha in Czech, Warsaw is Warszawa in Polish. Slavic languages aren't made for 'global'/Anglophone tongues, really.

The formerly German-name cities in Poland should get proper Anglo/global names to be spelled and identified more easily, globally. It'd really help these cities on the global stage.

/OT

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Jasper90 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #2470
thompsongda

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
I still can't even spell that! If there'd be an English-language (thus: Germanic language) version, it should be Breslau. Or perhaps change it to Breslou or something, if you don't like to see the "German" name. Prague for example is Praha in Czech, Warsaw is Warszawa in Polish. Slavic languages aren't made for 'global'/Anglophone tongues, really.

The formerly German-name cities in Poland should get proper Anglo/global names to be spelled and identified more easily, globally. It'd really help these cities on the global stage.

/OT
Again, this is int section, so use original names, not german, croatian, australian etc., but original = Wroclaw or Wrocław. I don't care if you can't spell it, but I'm pretty sure you can write it properly. Thnx. Btw, I know quite alot of people from diff countries, and honestly, they didn't have any problems with spelling...Maybe the problem is you, I don't know...

Hamster333, Rombi liked this post

Last edited by thompsongda; October 20th, 2015 at 09:26 PM.
thompsongda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #2471
Quilmeño89
Pick up that can

O.T.: We say Praga and Varsovia instead of Praha and Warszawa, but I have just realized that Wroclaw is called Breslavia in Spanish . I only knew the original name of this city. For me, it's still called Wroclaw.

I agree with thompsongda: here is preferable to use the international language to avoid confusion.

Urbanista1, Hamster333, Rombi liked this post
Old October 21st, 2015, 01:03 AM   #2472
Hamster333

Likes (Received): 2439

Quote:

/OT

German names are difficult too (city: Eisenhüttenstadt, ) and german "ö" is often as "oe" for foreigners (club: FC Koeln).

Cracow, Poland:

Before:

After:

by kokodak
Old October 21st, 2015, 12:16 PM   #2473
erbse
LIBERTINED

Hard-to-spell major German cities have international names. Köln = Cologne, München = Munich, Nürnberg = Nuremberg. Berlin and Hamburg can easily stay what they are in English.

But formerly German-name now Polish cities refrain from using the German names or proper English names as global designations, due to ideological reasons. I understand that, but that doesn't mean I need to support it. We're using a free forum in a part of the free world.

I'm regularily posting in the Polish forum and also post various Polish projects and photos in the German forum, btw. But this whole business about city/region names is ridiculous kerfuffle, Poles need to get over it. It's not about provocation, it's about practical reasons.

Anyway, end of topic for me. I love Poland, kocham Polske!

Jasper90 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:27 AM   #2474
uunxx

Likes (Received): 502

But Breslau is not a proper English name of the city, it's exclusively German. The city has no English name - Breslau is as foreign to English as Wrocław - and in this case the current name is usually used on international forums - the simplified form is Wroclaw. When writing on English forums Poles rarely use Polish names of cities alone and there are plenty of cities that once were Polish and have historical Polish names. It's just like with Germany, but when Germans are writing on English forums they just cannot get over shoving German names - and now you say something about ideological reasons. It's not a matter of ideological reasons, it's just your buffoonery being annoying. I don't mean you in particular, I mean many German forumers. You're not the only ones who lost something, get over it at last.

Of course you can do whatever you want but you will always cause backlash and OT. It's your choice but don't be surprised whenever it happens.

Rombi liked this post

Last edited by uunxx; October 22nd, 2015 at 01:51 AM.
uunxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:00 AM   #2475
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

it's nice to hear how you feel about Poland, I do too. But Breslau and Wroclaw are very different sounding names and Breslau is a German version, you can understand the discomfort and it is a historic distortion as well, only German-controlled since 1742 to 1945. I admit Wroclaw is a little challenging but so is Lodz (Woodj). I always tell friends to pronounce it like Vroc\love . Maybe in Spanish they could change it to Vreslavia...or maybe we could call it Vreslav, which is a version used in the 12th century. Anyway I think as Wroclaw's notoriety increases people will remember its name just as it is now, afterall there is no international version for Rejkjavik and that's not to easy either.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:39 AM   #2476
Quilmeño89
Pick up that can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Maybe in Spanish they could change it to Vreslavia
In Spanish we can't write V before R. It's an orthographic rule. That's why we use B.

PS: Chevrolet or Chevron are exceptions, because they are foreign names/words.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:18 AM   #2477
erbse
LIBERTINED

uunxx: I didn't state that Breslau is the 'English language' name of Wroclaw, just that there should be one imho. Same for Gdansk, Szczecin and some others, just like Warszawa has its nice smooth global name Warsaw (and Poznan or Katowice e.g. are fine that way). Anyway, I didn't intend to bloat this. We're calling Kaliningrad (wtf!) Königsberg and Strasbourg as Straßburg as well. Often even Tallinn is Reval, Karlovy Vary is Karlsbad, Bolzano is of course Bozen and Ljubljana is Laibach for many, it doesn't mean shit when we're doing this, it's just the names we always used (and will continue to use, not out of arrogance but for linguistic/practical reasons, we're practical folks), there's almost zero nationalists in this country left so no need to worry (I'm myself slightly local patriot with a despise for the trait of nationalism).

Just saying you shouldn't get upset when Germans use the German language name even in a global context, it's not meant to offend and we're not driving tanks to your cities to take them back (look at our ridiculous army). Poles take good care of the cities, probably better than post-WW2 Germans had or would nowadays.

Last edited by erbse; October 22nd, 2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:33 PM   #2478
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 5939

End of discussion here. Seriously.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:06 PM   #2479
Puritan

Likes (Received): 1616

Quote:
We're calling Kaliningrad (wtf!) Königsberg and Strasbourg as Straßburg as well. Often even Tallinn is Reval, Karlovy Vary is Karlsbad, Bolzano is of course Bozen and Ljubljana is Laibach for many, it doesn't mean shit when we're doing this, it's just the names we always used
We're calling München - Monachium, Mainz - Moguncja, Köln - Kolonia, Regensburg - Ratyzbona, Leipzig - Lipsk, Dresden - Drezno, Cottbus - Chociebuż etc.

Palace in Gruszów/Poland

author: muzolph°

author: twajda°

http://dolny-slask.org.pl/

erbse liked this post
Puritan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:46 PM   #2480
Tiago Domiciano
XXV

Likes (Received): 11278

RETROFIT | Edifício Finkiel | Curitiba, Brazil

Conversion of an abandoned residential building (built in 1977) to a commercial building

BEFORE

AFTER

Elevator addition

More images and details on https://arcoweb.com.br/finestra/arqu...nkiel-curitiba (PT-BR)

GIF

Memória da Curitiba Urbana | Thread
Índice de Projetos e Obras | Curitiba (PR) | São Paulo (SP)
Tiago Domiciano no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, classic architecture, classic europe, england, france, georgia, revitalization, stipson