daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Urban Renewal and Redevelopment Bringing new life into old buildings and neighbourhoods

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #881
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

Sofia, Bulgaria

picture was taken by bobsunbobsun from SSC Bulgaria
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #882
Indyk

Likes (Received): 60

Great effort Wrocław/Breslau and Leipzig/Lipsk
Indyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #883
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 25221

Katowice - square on Sokolska St.

before:
http://www.fmix.pl/album/74390/1/skw...okolskiej.html

after:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esce View Post
Whole investment will be finished in spring (new grass has to be planted)
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #884
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

In the Dutch village of Pijnacker, next to the city of Delft, they rebuilded in 2000-2001 the churchtower which collapsed on 18 april 1939.
The church originally stood at the back of the tower, but in the 19th century it was replaced by a new church, 4 meters from the tower so the tower stood alone.
In the 1939 the tower was starting to lean and a few weeks before it collapsed the stand it was leaning was 1.25.
A few weeks later it collapsed in the night of 18-19 april at 0.41 AM......
They kept the bricks (kloostermoppen) but later the local government sold it to other cities like to repair buildings (Castle Radboud in Medemblik et cetera).
In 1993 they started a campaign to reconstruct the tower and on April the 19th 2000 (60 years later) they started with reconstructing, at April the 5th of 2001 the building was finished

Here some pictures:

Just a few weeks before it collapsed

During the reconstruction in 2000

The spire

Setting the spire on the tower

Finishing the Pijnacker Tower

The result

TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #885
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Nice

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #886
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienioslaw View Post
They planned to reconstruct Hetzfeld palace, but there is no fresh info in that case...

Only entrence survived stupid commie times... really sad
Oh god, what a pity. Sensless and stupid loss.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:18 AM   #887
rychlik
BANNED

More from Wroclaw.

Last edited by rychlik; January 31st, 2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:23 AM   #888
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Is the reconstructed tower in Pijnacker the same height as the original? Looks somewhat shorter. Great job though, looks great!

Wroclaw is looking nicer by the day.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:23 AM   #889
rychlik
BANNED

Wroclaw

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...70764&page=466

Last edited by rychlik; January 31st, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:29 AM   #890
fcechini

Likes (Received): 0

Revitalization of Fernando Jacob Fountain in Fernandópolis ,SP - BRAZIL

fcechini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:51 AM   #891
rychlik
BANNED

Wroclaw main train station. Gonna look good.

Last edited by rychlik; January 31st, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:28 PM   #892
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I think Wroclaw and Gdansk are going to be the most pleasant surprises for visitors during the Euro - meaning that they probably wouldn't expect these cities to be so fantastic good job

Old January 31st, 2012, 08:31 PM   #893
rychlik
BANNED

Wroclaw was never really on the tourist map (except for old Germans) but I think this is changing. When I was there over the summer I'm pretty sure it was Americans that were huddled around tables ordering beer in the Old Town market square. Gdansk I would say is Poland's 3rd most famous city because of the history and post WW2 politics. But both Gdansk and Wroclaw, the Germanic cities, have been painstakingly restored by the Poles. Would you happen to know how the Ukrainians are maintaining Lwow?
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:42 PM   #894
rychlik
BANNED

Warsaw Nationall stadium.

Now

Old January 31st, 2012, 08:52 PM   #895
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Wroclaw was never really on the tourist map (except for old Germans) but I think this is changing. When I was there over the summer I'm pretty sure it was Americans that were huddled around tables ordering beer in the Old Town market square. Gdansk I would say is Poland's 3rd most famous city because of the history and post WW2 politics. But both Gdansk and Wroclaw, the Germanic cities, have been painstakingly restored by the Poles. Would you happen to know how the Ukrainians are maintaining Lwow?
I haven't been, but hear Lwow/Lviv is beautiful but not that well maintained, however, the Ukrainians are doing the best they can during these hard times. Check out the Zagranice thread in the Polish Forum, tons of photos. To be fair Gdansk and Wroclaw were rebuilt but not so much according to the original, only exceptional cases. In any case, from what I saw and all the work nearing completion in both these cities, I think people will be amazed.

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #896
uunxx

Likes (Received): 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
To be fair Gdansk and Wroclaw were rebuilt but not so much according to the original, only exceptional cases.
After all they were rebuilt in even harder times than we have now. It was unprecedented effort in then communist states and even in the whole world even if it was not 100% accurate reconstruction.
uunxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:30 PM   #897
Urbanista1
Here and Now

you're absolutely correct, the architects of the day had to get permission from Stalin to do anything. it took years and lots of convincing for permission to rebuild Warsaw's old town and even that had to be rebuilt in an earlier, less "bourgeois" version. Given the Hanseatic look of Gdansk and overly western look of Wroclaw, it's a miracle that so much was rebuilt, albeit modified to placate Stalin and his commie ideologues, not to mention Polish nationalist values.

Last edited by Urbanista1; February 1st, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:02 PM   #898
smiii
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!
smiii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:59 AM   #899
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
you're absolutely correct, the architects of the day had to get permission from Stalin to do anything. it took years and lots of convincing for permission to rebuild Warsaw's old town and even that had to be rebuilt in an earlier, less "bourgeois" version. Given the Hanseatic look of Gdansk and overly western look of Wroclaw, it's a miracle that so much was rebuilt, albeit modified to placate Stalin and his commie ideologues, not to mention Polish nationalist values.
So wait.... are you saying the reconstructions in Wroclaw and Gdansk have a Polish flavor to them?
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:35 AM   #900
Urbanista1
Here and Now

yes, they were redesigned harking back to an idealized form that may have existed in a pre-partition Poland, with typically Polish accents and finishes. I am referring here to buildings that were destroyed and had to be rebuilt. Many more kamienice in Wroclaw survived intact than in Gdansk or Warsaw both of which were 90-95% destroyed and so there are many buildings in Wroclaw that still look that they did prior to the prior, despite extensive war-time damage.

Tags
books, classic architecture, classic europe, england, france, georgia, revitalization, stipson